Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Tournament
Right you are, it was 2012. North won it in '13, lost in the semis to South in '14 and to South again in the finals in '15 before winning it again last year. So counting this year they have been at least to the final four six straight years, with a real possibility for their third title in five years, about as good as you can hope for in a sport like baseball. Makes those consecutive titles by Cumberland all the more impressive in my book.
Van Hagar Wrote:Harlan Co. just pulled a shocker knocking off Corbin 5-0. Not really a shocker in terms of Harlan Co. can compete with anyone around here with Sizemore on the mound (no mistakes this year, he threw today) but a shocker in terms of how both teams seasons had gone.

WOW, with all the Corbin fans talking about other programs and how they settle for mediocrity, and they have only won the region twice in the 115 years of existence? With the record they had this year and get knock out in the first round? What gives? As bad as our program at Bell is we have won the region twice I believe in just a third of the time. Not much room for talk. I guess the district is the main goal, very proud of that I see. I have to pull for HC the rest of the way...great win.
I also didn't realize til today that KC had thrown Seth Hill last night to beat Clay. They have good pitching depth, but he has been their ace for at least three years now. To be fair, they have beaten North with other pitchers this year, and North did win last years final with Hill pitching, although just 3-2. I guess they felt like they couldn't chance it last night, should have Jackson or Payne or both eligible for Wednesday if they win tonight.
AnswertheBell Wrote:WOW, with all the Corbin fans talking about other programs and how they settle for mediocrity, and they have only won the region twice in the 115 years of existence? With the record they had this year and get knock out in the first round? What gives? As bad as our program at Bell is we have won the region twice I believe in just a third of the time. Not much room for talk. I guess the district is the main goal, very proud of that I see. I have to pull for HC the rest of the way...great win.

It tells me that Corbin has consistently had good teams, just not that many elite teams and were usually a notch below teams such as Middlesboro,Cumberland, North & South Laurel. Although I believe that Corbin has been the last 13th region team to play in the championship game.
Since I've been alive, Middlesboro won in 77, 82 (maybe best team in school history), 84, 92, 98, 99, and 02. I also think they have been runner-up like 8-9 times. Too long of stretch since last title in my book. That hurts a little bit.
I guess it really depends on what you consider good and elite and if you are speaking about this region or the state. I would consider good when speaking of region. You have to consider them underachieving for region play.
Van Hagar Wrote:I also didn't realize til today that KC had thrown Seth Hill last night to beat Clay. They have good pitching depth, but he has been their ace for at least three years now. To be fair, they have beaten North with other pitchers this year, and North did win last years final with Hill pitching, although just 3-2. I guess they felt like they couldn't chance it last night, should have Jackson or Payne or both eligible for Wednesday if they win tonight.

Very interesting on throwing Hill. Who will they throw tonight?
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Very interesting on throwing Hill. Who will they throw tonight?

Key was to make it to tonight's game. Way to many teams save someone and the day never comes.
Oh absolutely and I'm not criticizing the choice, just makes things even more interesting going forward. That's why I said earlier that North got a great draw, they could feel comfortable not throwing one of their main guys in the first round.
AnswertheBell Wrote:WOW, with all the Corbin fans talking about other programs and how they settle for mediocrity, and they have only won the region twice in the 115 years of existence? With the record they had this year and get knock out in the first round? What gives? As bad as our program at Bell is we have won the region twice I believe in just a third of the time. Not much room for talk. I guess the district is the main goal, very proud of that I see. I have to pull for HC the rest of the way...great win.

Don't worry about Corbin, how'd bell do in Region baseball..? Or in basketball? Or in softball? Or in football? Tennis? Swimming? Anything..? 👀 👀
I think Rockcastle won it in 2000
CoachNM0523 Wrote:Don't worry about Corbin, how'd bell do in Region baseball..? Or in basketball? Or in softball? Or in football? Tennis? Swimming? Anything..? 👀 👀

Not very good, really not expected to. Really didn't underachieve. Expected results we got. Didn't get on here and say we were going to be region champs, or we were not the favorite and get knock out in first round. I found it ironic that Corbin was talking about the underachievers around them and then.......well you know the rest.
North Laurel beats Middlesboro 2-1. Good game.
Smith needs to get out to middle school football practice that he knows nothing about. When his team can't hit. Way to go Smith!
AnswertheBell Wrote:Not very good, really not expected to. Really didn't underachieve. Expected results we got. Didn't get on here and say we were going to be region champs, or we were not the favorite and get knock out in first round. I found it ironic that Corbin was talking about the underachievers around them and then.......well you know the rest.

We have done pretty good in sports and I thought the same thing. Very ironic.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:North Laurel beats Middlesboro 2-1. Good game.

Not a bad showing, however this is what it has come to. Mediocrity since Powell's have left. Very doubtful this program gets back to that level anytime.
NextGeneration Wrote:Not a bad showing, however this is what it has come to. Mediocrity since Powell's have left. Very doubtful this program gets back to that level anytime.

Disappointing but they lost to the favorite in a very tight game. Jacob Mike threw as good as game as could have possibly been asked of him. The back breaker came when Middlesboro had a 1-0 lead and NL had runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. NL attempted a suicide squeeze but batter popped up the bunt. Arnold from Middlesboro made a diving catch coming in and then fired it over to 3rd only for the ball to be dropped on an easy catch. Next pitch, PB and runner on 3rd scores. Then after guy gets walked, a botched rundown allowed the guy from 3rd to score. And that was it.

Middlesboro will return everyone next year besides the RF and LF who were both barely adequate enough to get in lineup. Next year should be a promising one.
Thanks for the updates
Knox beat Harlan County 7 to 1
North beat Mboro 2 to 1

Any info on the Knox win?

North and Knox play for region tomorrow at 5 30
I believe that the 2 best teams in the region made it to the finals, although both have had their ups and downs this year.
Score?
Knox Central 6 North Laurel 5 in 8 innings
Is this Knox Central first ever championship?
1st since 1995 I think I heard
Congrats to KC. Good bunch of kids.

Just a passing thought I had yesterday about the semifinal teams, I wonder what the enrollments were for each of the four schools represented? I know Middlesboro is hovering around 400 currently. I wasn't sure what the numbers were for NL, KC, and HC.

The reason I say this is because some of the pressure to move into some kind of classification system was quieted when they created the All A Classic. As of now, Touchstone Energy has only one year left as sponsor and will most likely not renew from what I am told. If the All A goes away, some noise may begin to stir in that corner. Kentucky is one of just a couple of states left that do not have a classification system for baseball. Anyway, just something to think about.

Again, great job for KC and way to battle through some tough times this season and keep your eye on the prize.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Congrats to KC. Good bunch of kids.

Just a passing thought I had yesterday about the semifinal teams, I wonder what the enrollments were for each of the four schools represented? I know Middlesboro is hovering around 400 currently. I wasn't sure what the numbers were for NL, KC, and HC.

The reason I say this is because some of the pressure to move into some kind of classification system was quieted when they created the All A Classic. As of now, Touchstone Energy has only one year left as sponsor and will most likely not renew from what I am told. If the All A goes away, some noise may begin to stir in that corner. Kentucky is one of just a couple of states left that do not have a classification system for baseball. Anyway, just something to think about.

Again, great job for KC and way to battle through some tough times this season and keep your eye on the prize.

I've been bringing it up in the softball thread for quite a while.
As I said over there, it's ridiculous to expect wburg, Harlan, Mboro, etc to compete with laurel county.
That's a 1000 kids advantage

Classification is inevitable. The only question is when.
Virginia is classed in every sport. They have a 1a basketball state champion. I think it could be a good thing if they don't go too far with it. No need to have 6 classes in baseball and basketball. I think 4 will do it.
These were the enrollments for last school year.

Middlesboro - 383
Clay County - 790
Knox Central - 854
Corbin - 876
Harlan County - 1030
South Laurel - 1121
North Laurel - 1294
Congrats to Knox. Good luck against Boyle.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Virginia is classed in every sport. They have a 1a basketball state champion. I think it could be a good thing if they don't go too far with it. No need to have 6 classes in baseball and basketball. I think 4 will do it.

I agree completely.
And I'm even fine with keeping basketball the way it is since it's such a historic thing in this state.

However baseball and softball should be at least 4 classes. I agree it doesn't have to go to 6.
I always find the people in opposition of are generally big school fans that like racking up district and region titles.