Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Tournament teams by Football Class
Just because someone doesn't support another's ideas, doesn't mean they are "wrong". Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the subject. I think it is a reasonable debate on why baseball isn't classed, and other sports are. And the numbers don't lie, either. If the system was "fair", then why are the larger schools the only ones winning the title the past few decades in baseball? Is that because only those larger schools "care" about baseball and "work harder", like some on here suggest is the reason people are wanting a class system because they "don't want to put in the time"? Is it possible that the larger schools can put more time in on individual sports because of the lack of number of athletes playing two sports, while the smaller schools have to share their athletes between two or even three sports, meaning less time on developing in one particular sport?

Now, does this mean that JC, LC, Pikeville, etc., just aren't "working hard enough"? I don't think so. And splitting the tournament in to two weekends didn't do anything to help the smaller schools more than it did to help the LARGER schools. The KHSAA doing this has shown that they are attempting to curve the debate and avoid the issue. Take McCracken County as an example here. One of their parents posted that they have never been beaten in a regional game. Is that good for the sport of baseball and promoting the sport? I doubt that they are winning because the other teams aren't "taking it serious enough". They are the largest school in a region that has smaller schools (McCracken has 2,000 students, only a couple other schools in Region 1 are above 1,000).

Another person says they have talked to athletes from other states that are "envious" of what we have in KY. Well, I've also done that. I got a dramatically different answer. I got one of "wow, that's crazy, how can you all compete against schools twice your size". But, I guess some are content with that one state title at a small school every 25-30 years (I'm talking baseball, not basketball.....since that is what a lot of people are too focused on when the classification debate heats up). That's fine. But if something happens once every few decades, I don't call that a "trend" or "proof" that the system is good and shouldn't be changed.

And I think it's interesting about the Track and Field claim by Pulp. I did not know they classified that sport. IF that's true, then WOW! To me, that's a definite head scratcher on why baseball wouldn't be classed if Track is.......and for those that say football should be classed, why? The numbers in football are equivalent to baseball. Anyone can spin the "offense-defense-special teams" argument all they want, but baseball has to survive with two-way players, so can football. Who cares if your football roster has only 20 kids and you are playing a Louisville school with 75 players.....shouldn't matter......just work harder.
Pupaw Wrote:I'm all for keeping the system as is in baseball and basketball. I've talked with numerous athletes in other states over the years and almost all of them are envious of the system that we have in place here. As for the All A being treated differently than the standard State Tournament, I can promise you that's not the case for the teams participating in it. Keep football classed, and leave basketball and baseball alone as it is. Everyone considers the state basketball tournament "The Greatest Show in Hoops", so why is baseball any different?

My thoughts exactly. Well said.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Just because someone doesn't support another's ideas, doesn't mean they are "wrong". Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the subject. I think it is a reasonable debate on why baseball isn't classed, and other sports are. And the numbers don't lie, either. If the system was "fair", then why are the larger schools the only ones winning the title the past few decades in baseball? Is that because only those larger schools "care" about baseball and "work harder", like some on here suggest is the reason people are wanting a class system because they "don't want to put in the time"? Is it possible that the larger schools can put more time in on individual sports because of the lack of number of athletes playing two sports, while the smaller schools have to share their athletes between two or even three sports, meaning less time on developing in one particular sport?

Now, does this mean that JC, LC, Pikeville, etc., just aren't "working hard enough"? I don't think so. And splitting the tournament in to two weekends didn't do anything to help the smaller schools more than it did to help the LARGER schools. The KHSAA doing this has shown that they are attempting to curve the debate and avoid the issue. Take McCracken County as an example here. One of their parents posted that they have never been beaten in a regional game. Is that good for the sport of baseball and promoting the sport? I doubt that they are winning because the other teams aren't "taking it serious enough". They are the largest school in a region that has smaller schools (McCracken has 2,000 students, only a couple other schools in Region 1 are above 1,000).

Another person says they have talked to athletes from other states that are "envious" of what we have in KY. Well, I've also done that. I got a dramatically different answer. I got one of "wow, that's crazy, how can you all compete against schools twice your size". But, I guess some are content with that one state title at a small school every 25-30 years (I'm talking baseball, not basketball.....since that is what a lot of people are too focused on when the classification debate heats up). That's fine. But if something happens once every few decades, I don't call that a "trend" or "proof" that the system is good and shouldn't be changed.

And I think it's interesting about the Track and Field claim by Pulp. I did not know they classified that sport. IF that's true, then WOW! To me, that's a definite head scratcher on why baseball wouldn't be classed if Track is.......and for those that say football should be classed, why? The numbers in football are equivalent to baseball. Anyone can spin the "offense-defense-special teams" argument all they want, but baseball has to survive with two-way players, so can football. Who cares if your football roster has only 20 kids and you are playing a Louisville school with 75 players.....shouldn't matter......just work harder.

The defense rests, your Honor.

[Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/att...1498174389]

Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The defense rests, your Honor.

Well, that's just plum craziness that they'd class those sports and not baseball. What is their logic in classifying track and field?
Bob Seger Wrote:Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion...I know that nobody has pushed for a class system any harder than what Travis has..So I don't know that if deep down you are supporting classing because it's what you believe, or if you are just backing up the thoughts of the leader of the LC program...Anyways, doesn't matter. I personally think that LC has too good of a program to settle for a second tier trophy. Personally I hold your state runner up trophy in much higher regards than if you had won a state 3A championship that year.. You accomplished so much more, in my mind. And to go one step further, based on the teams you beat to get there, I would hold a Final 4 finish above a 3A championship. The same with JC's final four and the 2014 season with the win over #1 Tates Creek which they followed up by pushing St. X to the maxx the next game. St. X did end up being the eventual state champions that year too. A 4A title would not have even been close to the honor and prestige of how they fared and competed in those two games. Of course we all know what Boyd Co. has accomplished. A state title, a couple runners up and countless final 4's. It's just all depends on how much emphasis you want to put on the baseball program, IMO. It all starts and ends on the mound anyways. Develop them , shore up your defense, and you are competitive in any game, no matter who you play...Boyd Co. coaches start with pitchers in little league and foster them all the way through high school..They are a pitcher developing machine..They understand it and teach it. JC as well.

There was a time, not so many years ago, that eastern Kentucky football teams were not competitive with very many of the "big town" schools. Now , other than 6A they pretty much dominate every class..Times changed and priorities changed about football...The same can be done with baseball...JC is now just on the cusp of being a yearly threat for a state title in baseball. Yeah, I'm being selfish, I don't want a watered down 4A trophy when we have all of the resources to win the whole shebang consistantly...I can remember back in my day, when little ole Paintsville was not only a dominate team in eastern Kentucky but was a yearly state power as well. It's all about what the emphasis is that you put on things and how hard to want to drive it home.

Now personally, I think a whole lot of Travis.. I think he is a great guy and an exceptional coach who outworks 90% of the coaches out there, but I'll agree to disagree with him on this one...He is too good and the LC program is too good to settle for anything less than all the marbles. I'll take a runner up or a final 4 with all the gang involved over top of fifty 3A titles they might win..IMO, don't start wanting more for less just because you have to go through what every team no matter how good you are does, which is retool. The Blevins kid is going to be a dandy...It's in his blood.

Marshall and Western Kentucky, in football, got tired of winning those national 1AA titles too and then got serious and started playing with the big boys and have fared well enough to be highly respected nationally in the big boys league. No national titles yet, but are still seriously good.

We will just have to agree to disagree because I don't see a class system as "watered down". Don't class football. Simple. Just have Betsy Layne or Phelps "work harder" to compete with JC, or Ashland, or St. X, or Trinity, etc.

I like a class system not because of what the coach at LC pushes for, but because it is the right thing to do in my opinion to level the playing field. It's kind of like this....if 96% of everyone else is doing it, and you aren't, then they must ALL be wrong....right? Again, my opinion, a championship in AAA baseball for Lawrence would be celebrated as a championship, nothing more or less. It would be no different than Belfry celebrating another AAA football title. Times change, and a class system would take time to get the adjustment to it by those that think it would be bad.
Bob Seger Wrote:Football is a whole 'nother animal..I think everyone knows and understands that.... But then again, FTH, is by enrollment, a 3A school who made a run at a national #1 ranking, finishing #2 a few years ago.

Like I said, feel free to wish for what you may and celebrate it however you may. I personally hope it never changes.

Us doing it, and 96% elsewhere not, makes what we have special, in my book.

I agree 100%
I was showing that Cross Country and Track & Field are Classed.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I was showing that Cross Country and Track & Field are Classed.

Thanks for showing me that. I really had no clue. Now, the big question......

How does the KHSAA justify classifying track and cross country but not baseball? They would have a great answer, I'm sure. :Thumbs:
Some of the arguments being made are legitimate on both sides. Even those people that do not want class systems for baseball would be open to it if done correctly.

Obviously, it is possible for a 1A or 2A school to catch lightning and win it all in a tournament setting. The point is, they shouldn't have to "catch lightning." Right now, those schools feel defeated before they even arrive at the state tournament.

Once you start looking at this argument you have to take in and factor all variables. Which means, monetary advantages, location advantages, facility advantages, etc. All of that plays a role with how teams finish every year. The reason LC has defied odds and JC and Pikeville, etc., is because they have done their best to give those players everything other schools have. That is why when their talent matches their work ethic, they can beat anybody.

I have a big issue with the argument of "25 players = 25 players." It's very silly. I know of several schools around the Louisville area that have a freshman team, a JV team, and a varsity team. They have separate coaches for each of those teams that don't even help with varsity. They all have their own schedules and that's that. In some cases, each one of those teams have 25 players. A couple of those schools are not even 6A. Now flip that around. I also know of several of teams in eastern KY, Winchester, Mount Sterling, even Lexington area that have 25 players. However, the difference is they have a total of 35 between their JV and Varsity. 95% of high school teams do not have freshman teams anymore because of numbers. So to assume that every school has 25 v. 25 opportunities like everyone else is not only wrong, it's very uninformed.
baseball1974 Wrote:Some of the arguments being made are legitimate on both sides. Even those people that do not want class systems for baseball would be open to it if done correctly.

Obviously, it is possible for a 1A or 2A school to catch lightning and win it all in a tournament setting. The point is, they shouldn't have to "catch lightning." Right now, those schools feel defeated before they even arrive at the state tournament.

Once you start looking at this argument you have to take in and factor all variables. Which means, monetary advantages, location advantages, facility advantages, etc. All of that plays a role with how teams finish every year. The reason LC has defied odds and JC and Pikeville, etc., is because they have done their best to give those players everything other schools have. That is why when their talent matches their work ethic, they can beat anybody.

I have a big issue with the argument of "25 players = 25 players." It's very silly. I know of several schools around the Louisville area that have a freshman team, a JV team, and a varsity team. They have separate coaches for each of those teams that don't even help with varsity. They all have their own schedules and that's that. In some cases, each one of those teams have 25 players. A couple of those schools are not even 6A. Now flip that around. I also know of several of teams in eastern KY, Winchester, Mount Sterling, even Lexington area that have 25 players. However, the difference is they have a total of 35 between their JV and Varsity. 95% of high school teams do not have freshman teams anymore because of numbers. So to assume that every school has 25 v. 25 opportunities like everyone else is not only wrong, it's very uninformed.
may or may not been discussed yet, but another issue is not only facilities, but also, coaching staff. in a small school you pay the head coach maybe $2000/ yr to coach and the assistant doesn't get paid anything in a sport that you really need to coach year round, (cause competition does it) which doesn't really attract the most qualified. you may get a teacher that played tee ball back in the day and he is willing to make a schedule for the team so he gets the position. unless you've been around these small schools you really don't understand the hills all have to climb to make it competitive against the larger schools and that is just to compete. "put a quality brand on the field", we are not even talking about winning titles, just playing against the big boys and not get hurt or embarrassed. funding is major issue, as small schools don't have any funding and don't have a facility or a backing from admin or community then their backs are against the wall. with this all said, this is why, we somewhat are looked upon as not being competitive at the high school level cause when you have 5a vs. 1a and a scout happens to show to that game and witnesses 1a that doesn't have matching uniforms and can't catch a ground ball or fly ball then the word spreads to others about the lack of quality ball in the state etc.,.... very many issues that large schools really don't have to put up with. I appreciate the smalls schools that do things right and work hard for the kids but there are schools, large and small, that don't care as much as they should for the kids but it is mostly in the smaller rural areas of the state that have small schools w/ low economic backgrounds in their communities. we don't need to bring up Johnson Central or Lawrence County w/ these issues because they are larger county schools that have funding from the state and don't have the problems these schools I'm talking about have. Pikeville has a much better economic base and can offer things other communities can't.
baller1989 Wrote:may or may not been discussed yet, but another issue is not only facilities, but also, coaching staff. in a small school you pay the head coach maybe $2000/ yr to coach and the assistant doesn't get paid anything in a sport that you really need to coach year round, (cause competition does it) which doesn't really attract the most qualified. you may get a teacher that played tee ball back in the day and he is willing to make a schedule for the team so he gets the position. unless you've been around these small schools you really don't understand the hills all have to climb to make it competitive against the larger schools and that is just to compete. "put a quality brand on the field", we are not even talking about winning titles, just playing against the big boys and not get hurt or embarrassed. funding is major issue, as small schools don't have any funding and don't have a facility or a backing from admin or community then their backs are against the wall. with this all said, this is why, we somewhat are looked upon as not being competitive at the high school level cause when you have 5a vs. 1a and a scout happens to show to that game and witnesses 1a that doesn't have matching uniforms and can't catch a ground ball or fly ball then the word spreads to others about the lack of quality ball in the state etc.,.... very many issues that large schools really don't have to put up with. I appreciate the smalls schools that do things right and work hard for the kids but there are schools, large and small, that don't care as much as they should for the kids but it is mostly in the smaller rural areas of the state that have small schools w/ low economic backgrounds in their communities. we don't need to bring up Johnson Central or Lawrence County w/ these issues because they are larger county schools that have funding from the state and don't have the problems these schools I'm talking about have. Pikeville has a much better economic base and can offer things other communities can't.

Ummm, you realize that Lawrence County only has a little over 600 students, right? And that is a "county" school, meaning that it's students are spread out from Webbville to Lowmansville to Boyd County line.....so I wouldn't call that a "large school". I'd say of the high school enrollment, only about 350-400 of these students live within a short drive to the school and athletic facilities. There have been very few kids from the outskirts of the county that play athletics, and I can't say I blame them. They are on a bus for a long time the way it is just to/from school.

And funding??? I'm not sure what you are talking about. How is this related to athletics? The state doesn't "fund" athletics. In fact, I'd say 90% of all high school baseball programs in the state of KY don't get "fair" funding when compared to other athletics (basketball and/or football). I know for a fact that the LC baseball team makes its money on advertisement signs, selling T-shirts, and small fund raisers every year. The parents, coaches, and players do everything. The school......not so much.

They put up a brand new wooden fence a few years ago for example. A lot of people had the misguidance that the BOE paid for it. They didn't. A storm ripped down the old fence, and since the school had insurance on their facilities, they were able to get some of that money and the boosters paid for the materials, and the COACHES and PARENTS provided the labor for FREE. No "state funding" in that project, or any other project. Just a lot of dedication.
baseball1974 Wrote:Some of the arguments being made are legitimate on both sides. Even those people that do not want class systems for baseball would be open to it if done correctly.

Excellent post.

The bold says it perfectly.

Do we really want to wait 20+ years to have a 1A or 2A school to make a run in the Sweet 16 or state baseball tournament? The answer is No. The Sweet 16 has had a decline in attendance over the past few years. IMO, the reason is, nobody wants to see a 5A or 6A team or a team from Regions 6, 7 or 11 win it. We've got the same old song and dance year after year. A Paintsville or a Shelby Valley may 'Catch the Lighting' once in a great while, but teams like that shouldn't have to. The demographics of Kentucky has changed for the worse in some areas and for the better in other areas. I can think of seven families (with school age kids) that have left Johnson County this past school year because of work. This is the story of Eastern Kentucky for awhile now. You can say "get better" or "develop quality players" all you want, but it doesn't do any good when the kids you work with all those years in elementary & middle schools and the off-season leagues move away. Leaving your system with a void and having to scramble to find somebody to fill their positions. Then that same team has to play a 5A or 6A powerhouse in the first round of the districts and get blown out. If that's a 1A or 2A school, the player who left could be a a four year starter for their program.

Life isn't fair, I get it. This is high school athletics, not the professional leagues. Wait til a team who's never been to a state tournament wins a State Championship in a Classed system and tell me it's "watered down."
Having a team make an unexpected run or come in Runner-Up in a Non-Classed sport is not a good argument for why we need to keep using the system we have.
Bob Seger Wrote:I guess my big question is, why would you even give a crap either way?...You have never even played baseball before and it doesn't effect you in any way, shape, form, or fashion and you don't even have a dog in it either. Do you even know how to put a pair of cleats on or know which end of the bat to hold? You do know that when someone hits the ball that you run to first base. You know first base, it's that square pillow there on the right side of the field...:biggrin:

This is exactly what I have been talking about!! Someone yapping about it that has never even played the game before and doesn't know the first bean about it to begin with..This the danger you have when people try to mandate things that don't even know what they are talking about and have absolutely ZERO experience in it.

Sheesh, Pulp, what is it, are you tired of ranting and raving about getting the ole Apple Bowl up and running again with nobody paying attention to you, and just decided that all of a sudden that you would be the savior of Kentucky High School baseball now?

:Shaking:

Well, Butch Cope and Julian Tackett......have they ever played the game before? What about the Board that makes the decisions? How many of them have played baseball?

I'm not sure your personal beef with Pulp, but he's right (in my opinion). No need to personally attack him for it.
Bob Seger Wrote:I guess my big question is, why would you even give a crap either way?...You have never even played baseball before and it doesn't effect you in any way, shape, form, or fashion and you don't even have a dog in it either. Do you even know how to put a pair of cleats on or know which end of the bat to hold? You do know that when someone hits the ball that you run to first base. You know first base, it's that square pillow there on the right side of the field...:biggrin:

This is exactly what I have been talking about!! Someone yapping about it that has never even played the game before and doesn't know the first bean about it to begin with..This the danger you have when people try to mandate things that don't even know what they are talking about and have absolutely ZERO experience in it.

Sheesh, Pulp, what is it, are you tired of ranting and raving about getting the ole Apple Bowl up and running again with nobody paying attention to you, and just decided that all of a sudden that you would be the savior of Kentucky High School baseball now?

:Shaking:

You're right... I didn't play baseball. I wrestled in school. So there's that.

I've made more valid points and posted more solid evidence FOR some type of Classification system than I've ever seen, ever. Who else but me would put that much time in looking up the information like I did in the football forum.

Not trying to save anything... I seriously doubt any member of the BOC follows what I post on BGR and brings it up for discussion in their meetings.

Making the case for Classification isn't about one specific sport. I've typed way too much in the football forum to repeat my self here... go read it if you'd like.

I'm done with this discussion unless somebody can present factual evidence of why the KHSAA doesn't need to Class the sports they offer.
Bob Seger Wrote:And I would take the advice from someone from a program that has thrown in the towel and said with tears in their eyes, I quit, we just cant compete? Personally I think it's embarrassing....If you were Phelps or South Floyd I guess I could understand it, but I just don't get the direction and mindset of the cowardice now....Just my opinion.

No personal attacks at all.. Just stating the facts since Pulp seemed to think it necessary to call me out..Maybe he should have just kept his mouth shut and not referred to me?

Classification is "cowardice"? Ummm, ok.......
^ Honestly not playing baseball has nothing to do with this discussion. For some reason you felt the need to stoop low and attack someone who was simply stating an opinion on how they think things could be improved. There's no harm in stating an opinion on a forum board that literally has no authority to change anything. It's honestly sad that you feel the need to so agressively go after someone in such a condescending manner and refer to them as a coward.

By your logic someone could say this: Why do you care? You aren't a current player and your sons are already graduated from JC ? So you really have no dog in this fight either.

Also you can't really use programs such as Johnson Central and Boyd Co as examples of out working all of the competition and thus becoming state contenders. While yes of course they both have tremendous programs with solid feeder programs and top coaches but they also have by far the highest enrollments of any school in the eastern Kentucky. If you took the same coaches and facilities to a place like South Floyd, Owsley County, Phelps, Jenkins, etc. and kept the same enrollment numbers they would still not be able to compete year in and year out with the likes of Trinity, McCracken, St. X, Tates Creek, etc. There would be obvious improvement but working hard, facilities, and coaches can't produce top pitchers, hitters and fielders every single year with and enrollment of less than 200 students.

I would be in favor of splitting the 6 classes into two tournaments. Smaller schools (1A, 2A, 3A) in one tournament and (4A, 5A, 6A) in another. This keeps the competition strong in both fields but allows smaller schools to have more than a once in a half century chance of winning. While big schools that have large enrollments such as JC and Boyd Co still get to compete against the best.
It's simple. As I and many others have stated many times, schools that are larger have an inherent competitive advantage. This is the sole reason for the existence of The many classification systems in place in sports across the board, which includes the 48 states out of 50 that classify baseball. It's really not rocket science here folks.

It's not unreasonable for us to ask for a reasonably fair path at a title. Mister D hit the nail on the head in his post.
You did refer to LCHSbulldogsalum as a member or part of program that has a mindset of cowardice I.e the members of this program want to quit and are cowards. Subsequently posting that same opinion of classification on a forum board is equally as cowardly. If I interpret what you said wrongly I apologize. I respect your opinion and I believe there is definitely merit to some of your arguments and thoughts.

As a graduate of JC I am extremely proud of the good work made by the staff and the program has at a whole. You are 100% right that they are able to compete and play with the big boys every single time they are matched up. That has taken a tremendous amount of effort by the coaches, players, and parents such as yourself and that is in no way to be discounted or your accomplishments not celebrated. Not only all of that but I am also proud of the fact that over the last several years multiple players have had the opportunity to move on and play at the next level.

However, by simply saying "hard work" and having the right emphasis in place isn't going to turn Jenkins into a team that can go head to head with schools that have 2,3,4,5 times their enrollment and resources. It's just not feasible in my opinion.
Bob Seger Wrote::Thumbs:

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, that's fine. I respect it, and so be it...And I have mine, so don't try to belittle it..And you better reread my post. Pulp was never referred to as a coward in any manner whatsoever, so you can knock that stuff off, now.

But I do have about 20 years of blood, sweat, and tears invested in the program, and a bunch of other stuff that I wont mention. So, I think I am more than qualified and have earned the right to just be able to do nothing more than just offer an opinion on how I would like for the program to be able to win an at large state title, which they are very capable of doing. I am very proud of JCHS baseball.

Anything else you would like to add?

JCHS has turned in to a good program these last few years. But again, they are a 4A school. We are talking about 1A-3A being at the competitive disadvantage. JCHS is substantially larger than most of the schools we're talking about.

In the two class split that many have agreed would be the best set up, you could continue chasing your dream. Why would the presence of a 1A-3A title cheapen JCHS's title at all? It would have zero effect on them? Does beating up on smaller schools in the post season not cheapen their run as it is? It seems like in your world where you should only play the best and true satisfaction is gained only by beating the big boys, what necessity is there for JCHS to knock off a 1A school, or several, to advance in the postseason? Also, and I'm sorry if this offends you, but you'd think a "stud making machine" would advance to the final four more often. Had to throw that in there. 😜
I posted this in the Football forum... I also wanted to post it here to make sure it was seen.

Every state classes football, but for comparison, here are how our border states class basketball.
I'm using basketball as an example because more schools offer basketball rather than football.
All of the information came from their state association website.

Tennessee has two divisions, then the divisions are broken down by class.
Division 1 are the public schools, division 2 are the private schools.
Div. 1 has three classes (1A, 2A & 3A).
Div. 2 has two classes (1A & 2A).

West Virginia has three classes.
1A, 2A & 3A.

Virginia has six classes.
1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A & 6A

Ohio has four divisions.
Div. 1, Div. 2, Div. 3 & Div. 4

Illinois has four classes.
1A, 2A, 3A & 4A.

Indiana has four classes.
1A, 2A, 3A, & 4A.

Missouri has five classes.
Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, Class 4 & Class 5.

The overall talent level in Kentucky high school basketball isn't what is was even just a few years ago. Prep schools and Academy's are taking the top level talent with the hope of receiving a better scholarship offer from a D1 program.
Even if a team like Ballard, Bowling Green or Covington Catholic looses a superstar, they would still blow a team like Jenkins, Phelps or Harlan off the floor before the first period was over. Nobody will ever convince me that Ballard and Phelps should EVER play for the same state championship.

Two classes would be perfect.
1A, 2A & 3A: Small school.
4A, 5A & 6A: Large school.
I agree 100%
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I posted this in the Football forum... I also wanted to post it here to make sure it was seen.

Every state classes football, but for comparison, here are how our border states class basketball.
I'm using basketball as an example because more schools offer basketball rather than football.
All of the information came from their state association website.

Tennessee has two divisions, then the divisions are broken down by class.
Division 1 are the public schools, division 2 are the private schools.
Div. 1 has three classes (1A, 2A & 3A).
Div. 2 has two classes (1A & 2A).

West Virginia has three classes.
1A, 2A & 3A.

Virginia has six classes.
1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A & 6A

Ohio has four divisions.
Div. 1, Div. 2, Div. 3 & Div. 4

Illinois has four classes.
1A, 2A, 3A & 4A.

Indiana has four classes.
1A, 2A, 3A, & 4A.

Missouri has five classes.
Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, Class 4 & Class 5.

The overall talent level in Kentucky high school basketball isn't what is was even just a few years ago. Prep schools and Academy's are taking the top level talent with the hope of receiving a better scholarship offer from a D1 program.
Even if a team like Ballard, Bowling Green or Covington Catholic looses a superstar, they would still blow a team like Jenkins, Phelps or Harlan off the floor before the first period was over. Nobody will ever convince me that Ballard and Phelps should EVER play for the same state championship.

Two classes would be perfect.
1A, 2A & 3A: Small school.
4A, 5A & 6A: Large school.

But....but....but.....all those other states are just "cowards"......:Thumbs:

We all know that change (class system) will never take place until the KHSAA sees the attendance numbers continue to drop......which is happening. People complain, money talks!
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:But....but....but.....all those other states are just "cowards"......:Thumbs:

We all know that change (class system) will never take place until the KHSAA sees the attendance numbers continue to drop......which is happening. People complain, money talks!

Nope, just one county in eastern Ky that was a state runner up a few years ago is about the only one that I can think of..

Quote some actual numbers there, Greensburg.
Bob Seger Wrote:Nope, just one county in eastern Ky that was a state runner up a few years ago is about the only one that I can think of..

Quote some actual numbers there, Greensburg.

If people from my county cared about you or your opinions, then I'd take that comment serious......otherwise......

Championship Attendance:
2017: 1962
2016: 2637
2015: 3202
2014: 2211

A spike in 2015 (West Jessamine), followed by consecutive years of dropping by 600-700 paid spectators.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:If people from my county cared about you or your opinions, then I'd take that comment serious......otherwise......

Championship Attendance:
2017: 1962
2016: 2637
2015: 3202
2014: 2211

A spike in 2015 (West Jessamine), followed by consecutive years of dropping by 600-700 paid spectators.

And if I cared that you and they cared then I'd take what you say serious......so....

Hey BTW, I hear that LC refused to play JC this year...What's the deal with that ? Just playing 1A and 2A programs now???
Bob Seger Wrote:And if I cared that you and they cared then I'd take what you say serious......so....

Hey BTW, I hear that LC refused to play JC this year...What's the deal with that ? Just playing 1A and 2A programs now???

First off, LC played a competitive schedule, as they always do. I'm sure you don't want to start gossip or hearsay on here......

They weren't scheduled when the season began, but they did find a date after both squads had some rainouts but got washed out of that one, so no game. I'm surprised someone of your stature didn't know this? When a little nobody like me did........And I'm just a parent. :eyeroll:

So you say they "refused" to play? :lmao:

No need to hijack the thread. Pulp has done a wonderful job researching to have you get the thread shut down and closed.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:First off, LC played a competitive schedule, as they always do. I'm sure you don't want to start gossip or hearsay on here......

They weren't scheduled when the season began, but they did find a date after both squads had some rainouts but got washed out of that one, so no game. I'm surprised someone of your stature didn't know this? When a little nobody like me did........And I'm just a parent. :eyeroll:

So you say they "refused" to play? :lmao:

No need to hijack the thread. Pulp has done a wonderful job researching to have you get the thread shut down and closed.

Not exactly the way it way relayed to me...Confusednicker:

I just figured you were trying to play a schedule to get you ready for an All A tournament somewhere...