Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adams steps down as Whitley baseball coach
baller1989 Wrote:Smith wanted to move back home in Middlesboro. He wanted the job he has now. If you all remember, he left Whitley to be the asst. coach (head coach in the waiting) to get back home. He had what is offered there now. Financial situation was as good then as it is now. Ledington said he hated to leave Whitley for Corbin because of the money at Whitley, but Siler may have someone else that he is thinking about more. But with that said, I don't see John Smith coming back, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ledington doesn't at least apply?

Smith left Whitley for a head coaching gig at Bell County. His personal situation ect........ He then went to Middlesboro. But all of that has changed drastically. I don't think he will apply, but if ask by Whitley, yes in a minute he would go back. I don't think Whitley will ask anyone. We will see. But not hardly correct in why and where he went.
NextGeneration Wrote:Smith left Whitley for a head coaching gig at Bell County. His personal situation ect........ He then went to Middlesboro. But all of that has changed drastically. I don't think he will apply, but if ask by Whitley, yes in a minute he would go back. I don't think Whitley will ask anyone. We will see. But not hardly correct in why and where he went.
my memory is a little off, but not completely... but wasn't the ultimate goal to get back to Middlesboro and he was the asst there for some time, because he knew he was the heir apparent??? yes, that is correct next gen., sorry for not being too specific. but also, didn't he and Ledington just swap positions? they flip flopped schools or something like that? I do kinda remember something going on like that? Who was at Whitley first? John Smith or Ledington??? regardless, next gen, I agree that John won't apply, I think he is happy w/ his position at Middlesboro
Maybe you all could lure Brad Shelton to Whitley?

lol
NextGeneration Wrote:First, I will say sorry, I forgot you were unable to understand most things....in stead of site ,I guess I should have said Thread. My bad.

Secondly, I would ask you to not use the term WE, because you support what is going on in OUR system and sports program in general. Don't misunderstand, Smith does an average job. He is competitive, but not what Powell did. The rest has been a joke since he stole his job.

So if you don't mind please stop claiming to be a fan, you must be getting something from Martin. A true fan doesn't sit on his behind a put up with his nonsense. You are just a stat guy that knows what he can google.

He did not steal Powell's job in any capacity of the word. Powell retired 100% on his own. And why are you holding him up to that record? Not fair to Smith to be compared to Powell, one of the most successful high school coaches in eastern Kentucky history. Just not fair. (On a side note, I heard Wynn Harris brought on Powell as an assistant at LCA.)

As I said to start this thread, WCHS is a good job. They should draw some worthy applicants.
Misunderstood, maybe my fault, Martin stole his super job with some shady antics. Wasn't talking about Smith.
Bob Seger Wrote:Maybe you all could lure Brad Shelton to Whitley?

lol

At this point I think Blake Shelton would be a better hire than anyone Whitley has hired Confusednicker:
Will they hire the best coach? or somebody from their clique?
for the right $$ I bet Shelton would consider it???
baller1989 Wrote:for the right $$ I bet Shelton would consider it???

I would be okay with this.
any front runners or anybody that is lined up for job
hchs fan Wrote:any front runners or anybody that is lined up for job

No clue on this one yet.
All off topic post have been moved so we can get this back on track.

Any word on a new hire yet?
Start a new thread and close this one.
This one is fine.
Stay on topic
Who is Brad Shelton and why would he want the job
bigscreen Wrote:Who is Brad Shelton and why would he want the job

Presently the coach at Cumberlands, I think he stays at UC but he does have kids at Whitney...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I wouldn't think Coach Shelton would make this move. That said, can you put a price on coaching your own sons or having more time with family? I would give it a 20% chance.
anybody heard or been told anything
Kyle is a great person and a very good coach. He will be missed, good luck to Whitley on replacing him.
Why would a college coach want to coach at the high school level, even if they have great facilities and serious bingo money, plus they would have to find him a job in the school system. I think you can mark him off the list.

I'm afraid of who might get this job, they could awaken a sleeping giant.
bigscreen Wrote:Why would a college coach want to coach at the high school level, even if they have great facilities and serious bingo money, plus they would have to find him a job in the school system. I think you can mark him off the list.

I'm afraid of who might get this job, they could awaken a sleeping giant.

I actually think WCHS has better facilities and funding. I do think the job in the system is the bigger hang up but it is such a huge system, I'm sure it wouldn't be a huge problem if he actually wanted a job. Obviously, coaching his sons in high school would be the draw. Also, I would be he didn't get into coaching college ball to end up at the University of the Cumberland forever. In many ways, I an argument could be made that coaching your sons at a place like WCHS, where even making a regional tournament would make you royalty at this point, could be a more satisfying career than coaching at UC. Would the WCHS people agree that whomever takes this job, if they make the regional tournament in the first couple of years, they would be celebrated pretty heavily?

Still low percentage of this happening though.
One region title would make you the most decorated coach Whitley has ever had. 2 district titles would do the same
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:I actually think WCHS has better facilities and funding. I do think the job in the system is the bigger hang up but it is such a huge system, I'm sure it wouldn't be a huge problem if he actually wanted a job. Obviously, coaching his sons in high school would be the draw. Also, I would be he didn't get into coaching college ball to end up at the University of the Cumberland forever. In many ways, I an argument could be made that coaching your sons at a place like WCHS, where even making a regional tournament would make you royalty at this point, could be a more satisfying career than coaching at UC. Would the WCHS people agree that whomever takes this job, if they make the regional tournament in the first couple of years, they would be celebrated pretty heavily?

Hello. This is Brad Shelton. I am not on message boards normally, but I heard this thread was out there. I am not sure if it is the most professional thing to do, but I want to defend our program and school a little. I want to respond to this post specifically because high school kids that we recruit may see it. I want to be clear to those kids that I am planning to be at UC for a long time and we have a nice place with excellent funding. Your post doesn't clearly express what we have at UC. I actually did get in to college coaching because I wanted to coach at this level. The University of the Cumberlands is where I plan to retire from in 20+ years or as long as they will have me. While Whitley has excellent facilities and funding, (some of the best in the state) I would argue that we have excellent facilities as well. We have some of the best in small college baseball in this part of the country. We have a newly lighted baseball field, brand new weight room, a nice indoor facility and a locker room. Our operations budget and scholarship budget are excellent and can compete with many Division 1 programs. Our President and Athletic Director are committed to winning championships in all of our sports. This is a great place. Your post wasn't extremely positive about Cumberlands, so I wanted to share a little. If you'd like to come tour our campus and facilities, give me a call or email and I would love to show you.

I enjoy coaching my sons in the summer, but I have no desire to deal with the issues high school coaches have to deal with. I have great respect for what they do with very little appreciation shown to them. I have always supported Coach Adams, and his coaching staff at Whitley and I will support the new coaching staff at Whitley.

I hope there are numerous qualified applicants for the job. I hope they find a great teacher who is also a great coach. The role of high school coach is much more than practices and games. It is an opportunity to invest in young people and build relationships that prepare those young men for real life.

I don't plan to get back on here to argue or voice my opinions anymore. Just wanted to clear some things up. Proceed with your debate.....
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:I actually think WCHS has better facilities and funding. I do think the job in the system is the bigger hang up but it is such a huge system, I'm sure it wouldn't be a huge problem if he actually wanted a job. Obviously, coaching his sons in high school would be the draw. Also, I would be he didn't get into coaching college ball to end up at the University of the Cumberland forever. In many ways, I an argument could be made that coaching your sons at a place like WCHS, where even making a regional tournament would make you royalty at this point, could be a more satisfying career than coaching at UC. Would the WCHS people agree that whomever takes this job, if they make the regional tournament in the first couple of years, they would be celebrated pretty heavily?

You DO NOT have one iota of a clue about the first thing that you are talking about..You have made a thousand stupid posts on this forum, but this one tops them all. You prove in every post that you are uneducated about just about every single thing that you post...Try going to UC and see for yourself what they have before you make another one of these seemingly endless number of idiotic posts.
BradShelton Wrote:Hello. This is Brad Shelton. I am not on message boards normally, but I heard this thread was out there. I am not sure if it is the most professional thing to do, but I want to defend our program and school a little. I want to respond to this post specifically because high school kids that we recruit may see it. I want to be clear to those kids that I am planning to be at UC for a long time and we have a nice place with excellent funding. Your post doesn't clearly express what we have at UC. I actually did get in to college coaching because I wanted to coach at this level. The University of the Cumberlands is where I plan to retire from in 20+ years or as long as they will have me. While Whitley has excellent facilities and funding, (some of the best in the state) I would argue that we have excellent facilities as well. We have some of the best in small college baseball in this part of the country. We have a newly lighted baseball field, brand new weight room, a nice indoor facility and a locker room. Our operations budget and scholarship budget are excellent and can compete with many Division 1 programs. Our President and Athletic Director are committed to winning championships in all of our sports. This is a great place. Your post wasn't extremely positive about Cumberlands, so I wanted to share a little. If you'd like to come tour our campus and facilities, give me a call or email and I would love to show you.

I enjoy coaching my sons in the summer, but I have no desire to deal with the issues high school coaches have to deal with. I have great respect for what they do with very little appreciation shown to them. I have always supported Coach Adams, and his coaching staff at Whitley and I will support the new coaching staff at Whitley.

I hope there are numerous qualified applicants for the job. I hope they find a great teacher who is also a great coach. The role of high school coach is much more than practices and games. It is an opportunity to invest in young people and build relationships that prepare those young men for real life.

I don't plan to get back on here to argue or voice my opinions anymore. Just wanted to clear some things up. Proceed with your debate.....

I know Coach Shelton doesn't intend to respond so I will keep this brief; I made no mention of anything negative regarding UC. I merely pointed out that in many regards, WCHS was actually better off. i wasn't arguing that UC's budget was low as much as I was pointing out that Whitley's was an absolute dream. I did not denigrate UC's facilities in any way but just pointed out how elite WCHS's facilities were. My apologies to Coach for not making leaving a wisp negativity surrounding UC. That was not my intention. I merely wanted to stir up a discussion on an internet message board regarding why an argument could be made for Shelton to want to coach his sons at Whitley. I conceded that it was a very low chance of happening and that I was merely posing it as an argument that could be made.
Bob Seger Wrote:You DO NOT have one iota of a clue about the first thing that you are talking about..You have made a thousand stupid posts on this forum, but this one tops them all. You prove in every post that you are uneducated about just about every single thing that you post...Try going to UC and see for yourself what they have before you make another one of these seemingly endless number of idiotic posts.

Luckily, you come across as an old man who races home to check this message board out of having nothing better to do. Otherwise, I might be inclined to take your post personally. if you want to compare our educational backgrounds, we can. You'd lose. If you want to compare our baseball backgrounds, we can. You'd lose that as well. I don't say these things to boast but more to say whatever it is you think you know about me, you obviously don't. You have made several thousands more posts than me on BGR though so you do have me there.

Whitley County High School is uniquely equipped. In terms of game atmosphere, their stadium setup is difficult to match. Their funding is nearly a blank check and that is coming directly from 2 of their former coaches. Their playing surface survived the Ledington year and remains an elite playing field. It is a 5A school. Incredible opportunity for a high school baseball coach to awaken a sleeping giant quite frankly.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Luckily, you come across as an old man who races home to check this message board out of having nothing better to do. Otherwise, I might be inclined to take your post personally. if you want to compare our educational backgrounds, we can. You'd lose. If you want to compare our baseball backgrounds, we can. You'd lose that as well. I don't say these things to boast but more to say whatever it is you think you know about me, you obviously don't. You have made several thousands more posts than me on BGR though so you do have me there.

Whitley County High School is uniquely equipped. In terms of game atmosphere, their stadium setup is difficult to match. Their funding is nearly a blank check and that is coming directly from 2 of their former coaches. Their playing surface survived the Ledington year and remains an elite playing field. It is a 5A school. Incredible opportunity for a high school baseball coach to awaken a sleeping giant quite frankly.
Hopefully, They will make the right hire .
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Luckily, you come across as an old man who races home to check this message board out of having nothing better to do. Otherwise, I might be inclined to take your post personally. if you want to compare our educational backgrounds, we can. You'd lose. If you want to compare our baseball backgrounds, we can. You'd lose that as well. I don't say these things to boast but more to say whatever it is you think you know about me, you obviously don't. You have made several thousands more posts than me on BGR though so you do have me there.

Now that is a real laugher... Buddy, I post what I do because you are a pure dumbass...I have proven you wrong more than once, and Coach Shelton just did the same thing.....I seem to remember someone telling me that Coach Smith thinks of you as one of those gifts that just keeps on giving...The problem is, it wasn't Christmas or his birthday. Idiot is a word that I distinctly remember.

I have been to UC and Whitley probably more times than you have seen games in your lifetime...I can just about guarantee that.
Any word on prospective coaches yet?
LCbballfan Wrote:I said it on another thread months ago that if someone wants to make a great hire they need to get Booth from London. College coaching experience and helps kids get better and into colleges. Not sure if he will apply but someone from that school needs to look into it.

I'm not sure if he's applied anywhere but at North recently but I'm surprised someone hasn't snatched him up. Some of the things he's done to help my son have been amazing, really wants to help the kids and has all the tools to be a successful coach, if he went to Whitley we'd be moving.