Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Whitley Baseball Coach-Jeremy Shope
The Outsider Wrote:He may not last long then.

He may not but while he is there things will be done his way. Was told while at Mercer that he had an asst coach quit early to mid season because the assts son was not starting. TEAM is what he is all about. Earn it !
Shope will be fine if they want a program. He’s legit.
The Outsider Wrote:He may not last long then.

There is a new day in Whitley. Parents and administration doesn't tell the coach who to play and what to do as coach. Across the board and those naysayers out there need to get on board, because the time is here!!!!!
TheColonel Wrote:There is a new day in Whitley. Parents and administration doesn't tell the coach who to play and what to do as coach. Across the board and those naysayers out there need to get on board, because the time is here!!!!!

Well if it’s the same administration then that’ll just depend on who he plays. If he plays who they want than you are right, but if not, then you’ll see which way this coach leans towards that issue. I’m sure he’s a great guy, but I’ve seen some of the best get influenced by politics and the need to keep their job.
baseball1974 Wrote:Well if it’s the same administration then that’ll just depend on who he plays. If he plays who they want than you are right, but if not, then you’ll see which way this coach leans towards that issue. I’m sure he’s a great guy, but I’ve seen some of the best get influenced by politics and the need to keep their job.

Shope could get an interview for any open job in Ky. If Whitley wants to keep him they will leave him alone, let him coach , then see what that produces. His opening day lineup could be vastly different than his Region time lineup. If a player earns a chance he will get it, if he produces he will keep it, if not he wont. Its just that simple. Wont matter who his mama or daddy is..write it on stone cause thats whats going to happen.
baseball1974 Wrote:Well if it’s the same administration then that’ll just depend on who he plays. If he plays who they want than you are right, but if not, then you’ll see which way this coach leans towards that issue. I’m sure he’s a great guy, but I’ve seen some of the best get influenced by politics and the need to keep their job.

I think this guy isn’t playing there games, both of the two they would have been diehard to get into college are not getting to play the positions they want. Both got beat out by younger kids for there spots, Both got beat out by sophomores so the juniors learning new positions.
If Whitley leaves him alone and he stays commited to the program, this guy will be the best baseball coach Whitley has ever had.
To be honest, he will be the first baseball coach Whitley has ever had.
I agree he may turn out to be the best, then you had to keep running that 🥧 hole .
Gunslinger Wrote:He may not but while he is there things will be done his way. Was told while at Mercer that he had an asst coach quit early to mid season because the assts son was not starting. TEAM is what he is all about. Earn it !

That's the way it should be.
Gunslinger Wrote:Shope could get an interview for any open job in Ky. If Whitley wants to keep him they will leave him alone, let him coach , then see what that produces. His opening day lineup could be vastly different than his Region time lineup. If a player earns a chance he will get it, if he produces he will keep it, if not he wont. Its just that simple. Wont matter who his mama or daddy is..write it on stone cause thats whats going to happen.

I was pleasantly surprised that this guy took the job. I hope he stays for a long time.
Could you tell me how to completely remove the politics? is it possible? :biggrin:
pjdoug Wrote:Could you tell me how to completely remove the politics? is it possible? :biggrin:

Well look at it like this, you have had politics in baseball, basketball, and not as much in football. In the past three years which sport has placed more in college, the answer is football. Adams got Watson in union, and that was more Henson than Adams but that was the only kid that matters until rains and little Watson gets there. Basketball has been all Johnson since 8th grade and getting him in school. Now football hasn’t got sucked all the way in. So to answer your question it looks like the answer is hire outside the county, get someone with no ties and maybe it will help.
TheColonel Wrote:I agree he may turn out to be the best, then you had to keep running that 🥧 hole .

Name a real baseball coach Whitley has had in your life.

Don't name guys like Ledington that just used the job to get back here before bailing or Smith who's been a journeyman and never won anything
Who you got? Junior Peace? Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:Could you tell me how to completely remove the politics? is it possible? :biggrin:

When a coach wins wins and wins some more with "his" lineups and then the common folk get behind him and 90% of the community take pride in that team and then it leaves not a lot of room for the bigshots to whine....just look at the record...Whitley will go to Region THIS yr
Gunslinger Wrote:When a coach wins wins and wins some more with "his" lineups and then the common folk get behind him and 90% of the community take pride in that team and then it leaves not a lot of room for the bigshots to whine....just look at the record...Whitley will go to Region THIS yr

This may be the toughest year to make it out of district. South has reloaded, Corbin is loaded, and Whitley in the past can’t beat Williamsburg when Camo pitches. District is going to be tougher than region this year is all I am saying, gotta get out of it first. I hope you all do as do we at Corbin, but Smith and south won’t be a pushover for either squad, and Williamsburg is tough on anyone with Camo pitching. Best of luck
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:Well look at it like this, you have had politics in baseball, basketball, and not as much in football. In the past three years which sport has placed more in college, the answer is football. Adams got Watson in union, and that was more Henson than Adams but that was the only kid that matters until rains and little Watson gets there. Basketball has been all Johnson since 8th grade and getting him in school. Now football hasn’t got sucked all the way in. So to answer your question it looks like the answer is hire outside the county, get someone with no ties and maybe it will help.

How can you hire a person from outside if the clique from within is doing the hiring and wants their fellow brown nosed buddy to have the job? Confusednicker:
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:This may be the toughest year to make it out of district. South has reloaded, Corbin is loaded, and Whitley in the past can’t beat Williamsburg when Camo pitches. District is going to be tougher than region this year is all I am saying, gotta get out of it first. I hope you all do as do we at Corbin, but Smith and south won’t be a pushover for either squad, and Williamsburg is tough on anyone with Camo pitching. Best of luck

This ain't the Whitley County team of old :biggrin:
pjdoug Wrote:This ain't the Whitley County team of old :biggrin:

Dougie district is going to be a dogfight. And I agree not the same team, but I don’t think one coach can change the kids philosophy in one season. They have to understand that they deserve to be there and should win, that’s the difference in other teams and Whitley. Whitley thinks they have achieved something by competing, while others don’t settle for competing they only understanding winning. They have the talent pool, but it will take a couple years but they will be a different team this year because the coach knows winning and they will learn it. I coached several of those kids in travel ball, they played different for me than what they played during the season. We won several tournaments and they played with heart. They won’t be a push over but they can’t settle if they want to play in region, and I am not counting them out. I think Corbin and either Whitley or south will go to district.
Mercer County is in the same district as West Jessamine. 12th region is IMO top to bottom one of the top regions in the state in baseball. By his 5th year he had Mercer County not only winning the regional tournament, but playing in the state championship game. 2011, 2012, 2013 12th Region Champions, State Runner-up in '11 and '13.

Whitley County just needs to give him time to do his thing.
How is Chester and coach doing, has he convinced him who throws the hardest and the best overall player yet.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Mercer County is in the same district as West Jessamine. 12th region is IMO top to bottom one of the top regions in the state in baseball. By his 5th year he had Mercer County not only winning the regional tournament, but playing in the state championship game. 2011, 2012, 2013 12th Region Champions, State Runner-up in '11 and '13.

I'm excited to see what he can accomplish.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Mercer County is in the same district as West Jessamine. 12th region is IMO top to bottom one of the top regions in the state in baseball. By his 5th year he had Mercer County not only winning the regional tournament, but playing in the state championship game. 2011, 2012, 2013 12th Region Champions, State Runner-up in '11 and '13.

Don’t get me wrong, Jody Hamilton does a great job and there are some good teams at the top of that region. However, the 12th is no where near one of the best in the state from top to bottom. There are SEVERAL teams from the 11th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 1st, 5th, and even the 3rd region that could take their backups at each position and compete in the 12th region.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:How is Chester and coach doing, has he convinced him who throws the hardest and the best overall player yet.

PLease elaborate...this sounds like a good story.....and how are the Colonels doing?
Gunslinger Wrote:PLease elaborate...this sounds like a good story.....and how are the Colonels doing?

Not sure they scrimmaged somerset today, haven’t heard anything. There is a dad, need I say more.
This isn’t Mercer County first of all and if they can’t make the region with the team that he inherited something is definitely wrong. However changing your shortstop just so your buddies kid can be an everyday player in the outfield just don’t make sense . Now that your best young talent and should be shortstop and starting running back left to CORBIN due to this ( bet Chappell is happy) you better hope it was the right move. He was probably told that they have more talent than anyone in the region. Then he got a look at what he really had and said we are going to have to practice and practice and practice.
But you can bet on one thing, Chester has told him how good his boy is and how bad everyone else is. If they don’t make the region this year, then it’s not going to happen anytime soon. Not a hater this is just reality
Baseball
Pretty evenly matched , Whitley comes out winning by 1 run over Somerset. BUT, it is a scrimmage and looking at different thing by both coaches.
TheColonel Wrote:Pretty evenly matched , Whitley comes out winning by 1 run over Somerset. BUT, it is a scrimmage and looking at different thing by both coaches.

Did either Grundy kid pitch, heard they didn’t?
No
I have heard nothing but good things about Coach Shope, and these are coming from folks that know what they are talking about, not any homers! From all indications, Whitley knocked this hire out of the park! If they're smart they'll shut up and let the man coach!