Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do So Many 8th Graders Play Varsity Ball?
SVLadiesFan Wrote:I disagree with you cavemaster. I think they should get playing time just because they come to every practice. It may give them the incentive to improve themselves. i don't mean put them in and let them loose the ballgame but let them in to learn and build confidence. some of the best players don't have the heart of some of the girls on the bench. some girls are just naturally better in some sports than others. the girl on the bench might love the game better but don't have that natural ability.
I can understand letting the better ball players play but i also say put those girls on the bench in for different reasons. be fair to these girls.
i know at one school that they never put the freshman and sophmores in to play just the junior high players. now this is JV okay. so now they don't have any upper classman to play becuase they were not fair to these girls.

Basketball games can be won or lost in the three minutes that an inferior player is on the floor. It is imossible to hide a less than skilled player in basketball. Here is a hard truth: hard work and love for the game sometimes don't bridge the talent gap. If life were fair, a bird wouldn't eat an earthworm...it's not fair to the worm.
Practice gives the opportunity to the player to show their coach they deserve more playing time. Showing up everyday is wonderful and a part of the educational process but doesn't guarantee time on the floor. Being a good teammate includes cheering from the bench and being ready when called upon.
It is unusual that several middle schoolers would be better than the high school girls but any given year you will have some who are and others who are close.
At the high school level it is about winning and developing talent. If an 8th grader gives you the best opportunity to win games you are going to play the 8th grader. The reality that "my little girl" is not very good or not as good as I think they are is a hard pill for many parents to swallow. In competitive games the best players play, period. For the ones who come to practice everyday you try to get them in during the non-competitive games. It isn't rec league where everybody gets to play. Coaches generally have no dogs in the fight so they will play the best players. If that is the middle schooler or high schooler they don't care because it is their job to put the best players on the floor. Cavemaster hit the nail on the head. Life is not fair and we are not all entitled just because we are in high school and come to practice everyday.
8th graders get to play varsity in girls basketball mainly because there arent as many girls that play ball as boys in high school. So many coaches will try to find talent in the middle schools and try to develop them at a younger age so that when they get to be freshmen and sophmores, their seasoned and experienced.
If you don't bring them up to play other schools will.