Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All-time Pikeville vs. All-time Belfry
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Lil putty tat gonna show up again? You’re the definition of “pure comedy”. 😂😂😂

I hope and pray we get a chance to lay a smack down on the ***** cats this year It’s our turn hell Mantey got tired of kicking there butts
Westside Wrote:I think Pikeville would have beaten Beechwood in the 1987 Pike County
if the game would have been completed. They committed 4 first half turnovers included a muffed punt inside their 5 yard line and still scored 20 points or so and were only down 1 point.

According to legend. Coach Howard wanted to finish that game so bad he could taste it. The PCB committee wouldn’t pay for Beechwood to stay overnight. Pikevilles booster club offered to put Beechwood up in a hotel and Jerry’s Restaurant offered to feed them if they’d stay the night and finish the game on Sunday. Beechwoods Coach just said “Well see you down the road” and loaded his team up and left....Well, they saw us alright...
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:According to legend. Coach Howard wanted to finish that game so bad he could taste it. The PCB committee wouldn’t pay for Beechwood to stay overnight. Pikevilles booster club offered to put Beechwood up in a hotel and Jerry’s Restaurant offered to feed them if they’d stay the night and finish the game on Sunday. Beechwoods Coach just said “Well see you down the road” and loaded his team up and left....Well, they saw us alright...

Yep. Just a few months later 52 - 28. He got to see all he wanted of the Panthers. Lol !
Have enjoyed reading the banter and the past reflections.

Here is my official take:
- You won't convince any Pikeville fans to change their mind, nor should they.
- You won't convince Belfry fans to change their mind, nor should they.
- People who played against that Pikeville team or have a vested interest will always choose them, and vice versa.
- At the end of the day noone is wrong. It is two different teams from two different times. I just think it is badass that arguably two of the best small school teams to ever come out of KY happen to be from the same area.

With that said, aside from being a Belfry fan, for me my argument would actually be for the 2015 Belfry team:

'87 Pikeville didn't play a cupcake schedule by any stretch of the imagination, in fact it was a worthy slate. Let me preface by saying that. This is not about taking a shot at Pikeville, more about lauding the accomplishments of Belfry.

What the 2015 Pirates did was something like we have ever seen in rural Kentucky. The Pirates played six teams who went on to reach the State Semi-Finals in their respective class that season. They beat four teams who reached the State Finals, they also knocked off two eventual State Champions including the Tennessee Class 4A Champs. Not only that, but the average score against those four teams who reached the State Finals was 39-9. Not only was Belfry beating great teams, they were dismantling them.

I still haven't seen official proof that Pikeville was the #1 team in KY in 1987 or that the claim they were Nationally ranked has any validation. If it was hanging in Howard's office it certainly seems like it is legit, just have not seen that proof yet.

With that said, here is what you can definitively point to at the end of 2015 (or 2016 if you so choose)

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/dtUcO-4eEk...nkings.htm

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/nrvgmyxmTU...nkings.htm

Additionally,
2015- Finished 4th Overall in KY
https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/be...hedule.htm

2016- Finished 6th Overall in KY
https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/be...hedule.htm

As a bonus point, look at the D-1 talent that Belfry faced and fielded over the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

They played over those two seasons by my count Three eventual All-Americans and 11 kids who would go on to sign at the FBS level. If you include the FCS levels that number swells to almost twenty players total.

At the end of the day... this simply is two darn fine programs and specifically two darn fine runs to be proud of.
I think when you start talking all time teams versus all time teams it’s probably gonna be a draw if you play 10 games. Especially at programs with state championship tradition like belfry and pikeville have. The fact that so many players would come off of two teams, (2016 belfry, and 1987 pikeville) it tells you a lot about how strong those two teams were though.
Where is big Eddie duramus these days best rb I ever played against