Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville Tigers Baseball
That's why baseball is the greatest sport on earth. You never know who will win or what will happen.
Every coach (no matter what sport) will give and take some their first two to three years. The decision of what to take and what to give will determine that particular coaches success. Coach Howard will come out of this whole situation better. If the parents didn't give a crap about the future of the program then they're would really be a problem. It's kinda like a question and answer segment, they'll ask questions and Coach Howard will figure the answers out this season with his staff and players as a team!!!!
The comment about JC dominating sports programs was a little unfair, no alot unfair. You can't really compare apples and oranges but aroud here it's common. You take a school that might graduate 60 students in a class and try to compare it to a school that graduates around 400 each senior class, that's crazy. I don't know the student numbers at Pville but central is porbably somewhere aroung 1600 maybe. Central should beat everybody in everything, baseball, football, basketball, golf, tennis, swimmining, etc.... If Pville or some of these other much smaller scholos actually beat Central at anything it should be a double victory.
Watchful Eye Wrote:Every coach (no matter what sport) will give and take some their first two to three years. The decision of what to take and what to give will determine that particular coaches success. Coach Howard will come out of this whole situation better. If the parents didn't give a crap about the future of the program then they're would really be a problem. It's kinda like a question and answer segment, they'll ask questions and Coach Howard will figure the answers out this season with his staff and players as a team!!!!
The comment about JC dominating sports programs was a little unfair, no alot unfair. You can't really compare apples and oranges but aroud here it's common. You take a school that might graduate 60 students in a class and try to compare it to a school that graduates around 400 each senior class, that's crazy. I don't know the student numbers at Pville but central is porbably somewhere aroung 1600 maybe. Central should beat everybody in everything, baseball, football, basketball, golf, tennis, swimmining, etc.... If Pville or some of these other much smaller scholos actually beat Central at anything it should be a double victory.
I can definately see where it is unfair to compare JC with Paintsville. However, any time the Blue and White are on the winning side everyone is more then ready to compare the two and it has been this way for some time now. Recently however, with the addition of new coaching the tide has definately changed and now no one want to compare the two schools, why is that?
Mr. 15th Region Wrote:I can definately see where it is unfair to compare JC with Paintsville. However, any time the Blue and White are on the winning side everyone is more then ready to compare the two and it has been this way for some time now. Recently however, with the addition of new coaching the tide has definately changed and now no one want to compare the two schools, why is that?

Paintsville has always had the better baseball and basketball traditions, thos two sports will always be compared to one another. Football is another story, Paintsville has the better tradition, but when you compare the two now JC has the upper hand. I don't see PHS beatin JC in football for a VERY LONG time. Paintsville's girls sports are slowly but surely catchin up but I don't see them ever dominatin like JC's girls have in the past.
I think Coach Matney has found a way to get EVERY student to the football field. What I mean is this, throughout Johnson Central's history no coach has successfully gotten all the potential football players to play football. Athletes yes, especially ones that came in from 8th grade football from one of their 5 or 6 feeder schools. No coach has seen a kid walking down the hallway and said "you need to come out for football", with no grade school experience and by the time their a senior they've became a pretty good football player. Power by numbers! It's a tactic Gen. Ulysses S. Grant used in the Civil War.
On the flip side and another sport, Paintsville's Coach Runyon has always been limited to a small number of spots on the bench. He has had the ability to take that small number and bring the BEST out in them year after year, a tactic Robert E. Lee used in the Civil War. The thing I always respected is that no matter who you are or how good your supposed to be, if you work harder in practice than anyones else you will start over the "prodigal sons". This is something in football that Matney has also done I respect greatly at Central.
Watchful Eye Wrote:Every coach (no matter what sport) will give and take some their first two to three years. The decision of what to take and what to give will determine that particular coaches success. Coach Howard will come out of this whole situation better. If the parents didn't give a crap about the future of the program then they're would really be a problem. It's kinda like a question and answer segment, they'll ask questions and Coach Howard will figure the answers out this season with his staff and players as a team!!!!
I know what your getting at, but actually the enrollment at JCHS is probably around the 1000 figure. The most ever enrolled was probably in the 1300 range several years back.
Senior class at Central = about 300 to 400
Senior class at Paintsville = maybe 60
When David actually beats Goliath....Priceless!!!!

We have allowed consolidation in Eastern Kentucky not only to close some great schools but consolidation in some counties has actually ended the existence of communities.

Actually, it's more like 1000-1100.
Watchful Eye Wrote:Senior class at Central = about 300 to 400
Senior class at Paintsville = maybe 60
When David actually beats Goliath....Priceless!!!!

We have allowed consolidation in Eastern Kentucky not only to close some great schools but consolidation in some counties has actually ended the existence of communities.
Where in the heck are you getting your way off base numbers?

Senior class just this past season at Johnson Central was 220.
Paintsville Baseball lives and will always live!
Don't care how many are where!
Just thought I would try and get this one back on topic!
OffTheHook Wrote:Paintsville Baseball lives and will always live!

:Thumbs:
OffTheHook Wrote:Paintsville Baseball lives and will always live!

And it will always have a county flavor to it.
????
THOMCAT Wrote:And it will always have a county flavor to it.
Yeah.....and it tastes like s**t! LOL....couldn't resist!!! J/K
True!!!!
The Guru Wrote:Yeah.....and it tastes like s**t! LOL....couldn't resist!!! J/K

And sometimes YOU STILL HAVE TO EAT IT!!Big Grin Couldn't resist!!!
The Guru Wrote:Yeah.....and it tastes like s**t! LOL....couldn't resist!!! J/K

Is this remark a reference to city students with county ties LOL...couldn't resist...By the way, there is one Tiger with county ties that I consider family and think a lot of. My remark was not meant to be negative. It is a given that Central grads will marry Tiger grads and their kids will sometimes end up in the city school system. That is how the city school system ends up with kids that have county ties.
THOMCAT Wrote:Is this remark a reference to city students with county ties LOL...couldn't resist...By the way, there is one Tiger with county ties that I consider family and think a lot of. My remark was not meant to be negative. It is a given that Central grads will marry Tiger grads and their kids will sometimes end up in the city school system. That is how the city school system ends up with kids that have county ties.

That is what we "Bluebloods" cal mixed marriages!!!LOL

I can't think of a single kid at JC that I don't like! I will poke fun when given the opp, but I do that to everyone!!!

People that transfer in, or in some cases with adults(loosely used term), that join the Big Blue Wagon, are commonly referred to as "Brought ons"!!
The Guru Wrote:That is what we "Bluebloods" cal mixed marriages!!!LOL

I can't think of a single kid at JC that I don't like! I will poke fun when given the opp, but I do that to everyone!!!

People that transfer in, or in some cases with adults(loosely used term), that join the Big Blue Wagon, are commonly referred to as "Brought ons"!!
Alot of times those "Brought ons" are really appreciated when it comes to basketball, baseball and football. I might not let them know their nicknames until after they graduate from Paintsville.
Mr. 15th Region Wrote:I can definately see where it is unfair to compare JC with Paintsville. However, any time the Blue and White are on the winning side everyone is more then ready to compare the two and it has been this way for some time now. Recently however, with the addition of new coaching the tide has definately changed and now no one want to compare the two schools, why is that?

Yea let's compare. Baseball: Paintsville has more district, regional, and sectional wins than JC. Oh yea one state baseball title. Final 4 3 times in the last 30 years.
Basketball: Paintsville has 7 regional titles and one state championship since 1985. JC had a 23 game lead on P-ville until P-ville changed coaches in the early 80's, since then P-ville has secured more wins than JC has head to head.
Football: Paintsville leads the series 20 to 13 I believe. Paintsville may never beat JC again for a very long time since JC seems to have found the right man for the football program. I don't think there should be comparesons between the two schools because of the size of the programs. But you wanted to compare them so there are the results of the 3 sports.
kyrifle Wrote:Yea let's compare. Baseball: Paintsville has more district, regional, and sectional wins than JC. Oh yea one state baseball title. Final 4 3 times in the last 30 years.
Basketball: Paintsville has 7 regional titles and one state championship since 1985. JC had a 23 game lead on P-ville until P-ville changed coaches in the early 80's, since then P-ville has secured more wins than JC has head to head.
Football: Paintsville leads the series 20 to 13 I believe. Paintsville may never beat JC again for a very long time since JC seems to have found the right man for the football program. I don't think there should be comparesons between the two schools because of the size of the programs. But you wanted to compare them so there are the results of the 3 sports.

I think that is the end of that discussion. Good post kyrifle:beer:
I know we play paintsville this year I think it may be @ kcc or away idk yet.
1911 Wrote:I think that is the end of that discussion. Good post kyrifle:beer:

How many Regional titles has Paintsville won in ANY sport since the 1999-2000 season?Rolleyes Just curious me and a buddy were discussing this.
jchsrulz Wrote:How many Regional titles has Paintsville won in ANY sport since the 1999-2000 season?Rolleyes Just curious me and a buddy were discussing this.

1 in football back in 2001 and were runner-up in 2000. Baseball I'm not sure of, maybe 2 (2000, 2001), not sure of how many runner-ups. None in basketball but they have 2 runner-ups(2002 and 2003).
In baseball Paintsville was Runner Up in the Region in 2004-2006 I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Pupaw Wrote:In baseball Paintsville was Runner Up in the Region in 2004-2006 I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe they were also runner-up to Pikeville in 2002 when the Region was at Shelby Valley. I know the runner-ups are not what you were looking for jchsrulz, but it kinda helps make a point that they have been in position to win more than what they have if they could've went out and got the job done.
GRIZZ Wrote:I believe they were also runner-up to Pikeville in 2002 when the Region was at Shelby Valley. I know the runner-ups are not what you were looking for jchsrulz, but it kinda helps make a point that they have been in position to win more than what they have if they could've went out and got the job done.

Just wondering. I thought that baseball had a couple, but I wasn't for sure about football. Everyone knows the basketball winners (mountain basketball is most people's 1st luv), but other sports get confusing after a couple of years.

Thanks!!:Thumbs:
ended when i was a senior in 1991. that year wasn't fun and we finished .500 after going to the state title game 2 years in a row(winning onw) and winning the region something like 16 out of 20 years.

I don't think we've ever really got back on track since that year with any consistency.
when i played if you won 20 games or more, you had a pretty sucessful season. Someone must have been doing something right last year at paintsville.