Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville Tigers Baseball
sportsfanatic Wrote:Paintsville, JC, and Pikeville were always the best teams in the region. Paintsville and Pikeville struggled this year but they will strive to be be number 1. As far as following a legend, Coach Adkins, Tucker will be OK with some time.

Tucker Howard in two seasons:
47 wins (23.5 per season)
2006- (20-14) District Champs, Regional Runner-up
2007- (27-6) lost to eventual Region and Sectional Champions Johnson Central
*Coach Howard was voted Coach of the Year in the 15th for 2007, Paintsville was 16-2 versus regional opponents and 6-1 in the 57th district.

With VanHoose and Grimm returning Paintsville should be battling for the #1 seed in the 57th in 2008. Lawrence County will be the odds on favorite to win the 15th next season though.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Tucker Howard in two seasons:
*Coach Howard was voted Coach of the Year in the 15th for 2007, Paintsville was 16-2 versus regional opponents and 6-1 in the 57th district.

With VanHoose and Grimm returning Paintsville should be battling for the #1 seed in the 57th in 2008. Lawrence County will be the odds on favorite to win the 15th next season though.

In my opinion, things will be just like they were this year. You will have the three teams in the 57th district battling for the regional title with Pikeville and Allen Central as the dark horses. You wont have the blind draw in the 57th, so seeding may play a big part of who comes out.

You would think that Lawrence would be the favorites, but I think that I will go with Johnson Central again this time. I know they lost the arms of Fyffe and Blanton, but they still return a lot of pitching talent and should be must better offensively. They just wont have the flame throwers.

Paintsville will have Grimm, but I really think that Austin Lyons might really be their #2 when it's all said and done. At one time I would have agreed with VanHoose, but when was the last time that he really was a factor off the mound? Has he even thrown as much as 30 innings his whole high school career combined?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I can very well remember the time when Paintsville was a true 15th region dynasty in baseball, and that certainly is no joke. Time have a way of changing things, but at one time Paintsville was the premeir program in eastern Kentucky baseball. I think that Paintsville will continue to have one of the best programs in eastern Kentucky, but I dont see a dynasty type situation ever happening again. It's not that Paintsville has done anything wrong or anything different than they have ever done. I just think that a couple of other programs in the area has begun to do a better job with promoting and developing their own respective resources that has always been right under their noses.

I too can remember those premier program days with Tiger baseball, but to use the word dynasty just made me laugh. Paintsville will always strive to have the best team in the eastern part of the state, but the word dynasty will never be able to be attached to any team I don't think. The level of development and feeder programs for the surrounding ball programs have grown tremendously over the last few years and I think thats great for baseball. I think thats great for competition and its certainly gonna be great for the fans to see some terrific baseball.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:What the heck are you talking about?? My God son, Paintsville had a 27-5 record this season. Wouldn't everyone love to struggle like that? Paintsville beaten by a pitcher in the district that has the capabilities to throw 90+ MPH and has signed a Division I scholarship, and it took extra innings to do that.

In all honesty Paintsville beat Fyffe and they also beat themselves and lost the game due to errors.
THOMCAT Wrote:If Painstville used their #4 & #5, who are they? Also, please list #1, #2 & #3.
What I meant is that we used a total of 4-5 pitchers in one game.
Lefty Wrote:I too can remember those premier program days with Tiger baseball, but to use the word dynasty just made me laugh. Paintsville will always strive to have the best team in the eastern part of the state, but the word dynasty will never be able to be attached to any team I don't think. The level of development and feeder programs for the surrounding ball programs have grown tremendously over the last few years and I think thats great for baseball. I think thats great for competition and its certainly gonna be great for the fans to see some terrific baseball.
If Paintsville didn't have a dynasty going in the 70's and for a large part of the 80's and 90's , I dont know what you would call it. lol They probably won about 70% of all the regional titles in those years prior to 2000 starting in 1970. Johnson Central won back to back titles in '83 and '84, and then again in '95 and '96. Other than just an occasional team popping up here or there to win a regional championship, Paintsville pretty much dominated this region, and then, even when they did not win the regional title they more often than not were the runner's up. To me, that's a dynasty.

I will however agree with you that more than likely that type of dominance may never appear again. However,I do think that Johnson Central is poising themselves to possibly be the main contender year in and year out. They have always been one of the co-favorites (until Pikeville's emergence in the late 90's), but I think that if they can reap the benefits of what the Cal Ripkin/Babe Ruth Leagues can offer their program, then they could in theory be the dominate force in the 15th region every year. Now that Lawrence Co. is in the 15th again, one must always consider them a front runner as well. Never the less Paintsville should be a contender year in and year out based on a strong Little League program, tradition, and what I feel is a good coaching staff.
OffTheHook Wrote:In all honesty Paintsville beat Fyffe and they also beat themselves and lost the game due to errors.
Well honestly that's all part of it. There are many more aspects to the game than hitting alone. The same could be said of Justin Blanton's performance in the regular season. Tough to take a loss when you strike out 15 quality Paintsville hitters. Central made some mental mistakes in that game and did not hit the ball real well either. So the end result was that Paintsville beat Johnson Central.
Well I guess the beer Miller was doing the talking a little for me last night, but I guess what I was meaning was that Paintsville was a team you always dreadedplaying in all sports and now its like they are just like playing anybody else.
OffTheHook Wrote:In all honesty Paintsville beat Fyffe and they also beat themselves and lost the game due to errors.

Ya think maybe that the fact that the only infield practice that Paintsville had for 2-3 weeks prior to the Dist. game with JCHS was the seven minutes you get during pregame, had anything to do with the errors?
The Guru Wrote:Ya think maybe that the fact that the only infield practice that Paintsville had for 2-3 weeks prior to the Dist. game with JCHS was the seven minutes you get during pregame, had anything to do with the errors?

Haha yep.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Tucker Howard in two seasons:

Look at the record. Plus every senior that has played for him could've played college ball if the chose to. I think this is very dumb of the parents to complain over nothing but progress. Maybe some kids should just mature and get to work. The Paintsville Baseball team is the best sport year in and year out. Why don't parents complain when other sports get beat out in the first round of District and Regional tournaments? An average of 23 wins per year is very good so maybe there needs to be some re-evaluation on some parts.
TRUEBALLAHOLLA Wrote:Look at the record. Plus every senior that has played for him could've played college ball if the chose to. I think this is very dumb of the parents to complain over nothing but progress. Maybe some kids should just mature and get to work. The Paintsville Baseball team is the best sport year in and year out. Why don't parents complain when other sports get beat out in the first round of District and Regional tournaments? An average of 23 wins per year is very good so maybe there needs to be some re-evaluation on some parts.
First, let me point out that I have been a Tucker supporter.
But to think that the parent's concerns are not warranted is way off.
Which of these six seniors over the past 2 years did he develope? None.
Which of these 6 srs. did he even make an attempt to get them a scholly? None, They did it on their own.
Look at the srs. for '08....not a`single one has had contact from a recruiter through Coach Howard. I know it is not in his contract to do this, but at every showcase or "all-star" game they have been to, the other players have their coaches with them, touting them to the college coaches. These guys have never had their coach with them, they are on their own.
Coach Howard has been a little league coach for 3 years, a JV coach for 1 year and a head high school coach for 2 years, Can anyone name any player he has developeed???
Parents feel our teams have not been properly prepared for important games.
So to say that the parents should not be concerned by people that do not understand that at PHS, it isn't only about wins and losses doesn't carry much wait for us.
The Guru Wrote:First, let me point out that I have been a Tucker supporter.
But to think that the parent's concerns are not warranted is way off.
Which of these six seniors over the past 2 years did he develope? None.
Which of these 6 srs. did he even make an attempt to get them a scholly? None, They did it on their own.
Look at the srs. for '08....not a`single one has had contact from a recruiter through Coach Howard. I know it is not in his contract to do this, but at every showcase or "all-star" game they have been to, the other players have their coaches with them, touting them to the college coaches. These guys have never had their coach with them, they are on their own.
Coach Howard has been a little league coach for 3 years, a JV coach for 1 year and a head high school coach for 2 years, Can anyone name any player he has developeed???
Parents feel our teams have not been properly prepared for important games.
So to say that the parents should not be concerned by people that do not understand that at PHS, it isn't only about wins and losses doesn't carry much wait for us.

Are these players that are angry about not getting enough innings or at bats going to dedicate themselves to baseball next year? Are they going to work all winter on baseball or are they just going to show up and go through the motions just like most kids do? When you talk about developing players I truthfully can't think of one player that has been through the Paintsville School system that any Coach has developed. If you can name one please do so. Most of the progress these kids are making is on their own with professional instruction or instruction at home.
TRUEBALLAHOLLA Wrote:Are these players that are angry about not getting enough innings or at bats going to dedicate themselves to baseball next year? Are they going to work all winter on baseball or are they just going to show up and go through the motions just like most kids do? When you talk about developing players I truthfully can't think of one player that has been through the Paintsville School system that any Coach has developed. If you can name one please do so. Most of the progress these kids are making is on their own with professional instruction or instruction at home.

:wtf1:

are you KIDDING me????!!!!!!!!

what is the need for a coach, if that's your take on it?

unbelievable the things people say......................................
Ring'Em Up Wrote::wtf1:

are you KIDDING me????!!!!!!!!

what is the need for a coach, if that's your take on it?

unbelievable the things people say......................................

Well let's hear all of the people that have been developed. To support your statement.
TRUEBALLAHOLLA Wrote:Are these players that are angry about not getting enough innings or at bats going to dedicate themselves to baseball next year? Are they going to work all winter on baseball or are they just going to show up and go through the motions just like most kids do? When you talk about developing players I truthfully can't think of one player that has been through the Paintsville School system that any Coach has developed. If you can name one please do so. Most of the progress these kids are making is on their own with professional instruction or instruction at home.
I know of noone that is complaining about playing time. Not only did they dedicate themselves last year, but still are. Going through the motions is one thing none will do.
Jeremy Slone.....The kid never threw a pitch til Adkins had him as a freshman. Do you think he got an education and was Marshall's ace by accident? I could list hundreds but you just revieled just how much you even know about the subject.
The Guru Wrote:I know of noone that is complaining about playing time. Not only did they dedicate themselves last year, but still are. Going through the motions is one thing none will do.
Jeremy Slone.....The kid never threw a pitch til Adkins had him as a freshman. Do you think he got an education and was Marshall's ace by accident? I could list hundreds but you just revieled just how much you even know about the subject.

Jeremy got to Marshall because of St. Catherine. Jeremy had so much potential to work with. He was an average high school pitcher but when he went through their program he became a STUD. Is that the only one?
TRUEBALLAHOLLA Wrote:Jeremy got to Marshall because of St. Catherine. Jeremy had so much potential to work with. He was an average high school pitcher but when he went through their program he became a STUD. Is that the only one?
Jeremy was an average High School pitcher????Smile

Granted he got better as he got older and stronger, but do you honestly think St Cath's built their program by signing average players?

You are getting more rediculous with each post.
The Guru Wrote:Jeremy was an average High School pitcher????Smile

Granted he got better as he got older and stronger, but do you honestly think St Cath's built their program by signing average players?

Well Guru if he was just so great why didn't he get signed right out of high school. Not throwing off on Slone because he is a hard worker and has had a great career. Anyway back to subject...what do you think the problem is at Paintsville? If there is one.
Usually players, especially pitchers, go to a JUCO so that they can improve on a certain part of their game so that they can move on and play at the next level. Maybe Slone had a part of his game he felt that he needed to improve on, therefore he signed with a JUCO to improve on that. And if I'm not mistaken 3 other players signed with St. Catherine off of that team along with Jeremy. That may have had some influence on the decision as well.
I think these threads are stupid about the problems they are having. There would be more accomplished if everyone would tell Tucker their problem so he can fix it. He doesn't know what to fix if he isn't told.
The Guru Wrote:Jeremy was an average High School pitcher????Smile

Hey, for one thing TRUEBALLAHOLLA has a history of making rediculous posts.
TRUEBALLAHOLLA Wrote:Well Guru if he was just so great why didn't he get signed right out of high school. Not throwing off on Slone because he is a hard worker and has had a great career. Anyway back to subject...what do you think the problem is at Paintsville? If there is one.
The first thing you should realize is that St. Catharines has one of the premeir JUCO programs in the United States. Nothing wrong with his decision on that school at all because they dont take players with marginal talent. If you remember he was one of the best pitchers in eastern Kentucky his senior season.
Well TRUEBALLAHOLLA, if you really wanna get technical about it. Despite what you may think, coach Adkins did develope his players, with coach Runyon and VanHoose's help. I played for him for 5 years, played with Jeremy for 4. We actually practiced every now and then. We took ground balls everyday, coach Adkins instructed us everyday. He and Mike LeMaster worked with the pitchers nearly everyday. Three of the seniors off my junior year team signed with St.Catherine, Chas Harmon, Jeremy and Dustin Hall. Dustin is another one that coach Adkins DEVELOPED. My senior year a couple boys signed, Tate Harmon signed with St.Catherine and Adam Collins took a year off before goin to St.Catherine. The year after I graduated Shane Simpkins (who starts at Lipscomb now) signed with St.Catherine and Charlie Collett signed with Lakeland Community College. The year after that Josh LeMaster signed with Lakeland and Matt Hensley signed with St.Cat. Guess what TRUEBALLA, ALL players that coach Adkins coached and for the most part developed (except for Chas and Tate).
[quote=TRUEBALLAHOLLA]I think these threads are stupid about the problems they are having. There would be more accomplished if everyone would tell Tucker their problem so he can fix it. He doesn't know what to fix if he isn't told.[/quote]

from what guru and others have been saying, it sounds maybe like thats what they finally are doing. not worrying about the coach or whoever getting mad, just worrying about all the kids on the team. to be honest, i was surprised when the job was given to Tuck, but i THOUGHT he had done a great job from where i could see. i know his top assistant (i assume it is Coach L.) has always been known for being good with the kids and putting in alot of time for them, if that is what part of the so-called prob may be.
i dont know whats going on and cant speculate, i jus hope they get whatever "problems" that MAY be happening patched up quickly. awful lot of talent over there that needs to have a good working relationship, for the best interest of the players. especially if they wanna challenge the EAGLES for the 15th next year!!!
best of luck to 'em

(and you too, Guru. Give 'em Hell !!)
i saw this icon, and it reminded me of ya. been looking for a chance to use it!!!

:muscleman
Give me names of D1 players developed in the last 25 at Paintsville High. Hell anyone with any potential at all can go to St. Catherine, Alice Loyd, Pikeville, G-Town, Camblesville and any of these small schools and play. But mostly they go because no one else is interested or their ACT scores aren't good enough for a D1 school. I'll give you a couple of names and schools they signed with to get you started.
David Lemaster--Clemnson ( ACC )
John Miller==Morehead State ( OVC )
Roger Daniel--Western Ky U. (OVC )
Daniel Pugh--Morehead State (OVC )
kyrifle Wrote:Give me names of D1 players developed in the last 25 at Paintsville High. Hell anyone with any potential at all can go to St. Catherine, Alice Loyd, Pikeville, G-Town, Camblesville and any of these small schools and play. But mostly they go because no one else is interested or their ACT scores aren't good enough for a D1 school. I'll give you a couple of names and schools they signed with to get you started.
Saint Catharines is also a place to go if you have been drafted in the mid to high rounds of the MLB draft so you can work on improving a couple of things to improve your future draft status or if you have potential to be drafted in a year or so. If you go to any 4 year college then you CANNOT be drafted until after your junior season. St. Catharines gets a lot of those kids. Heck, most of the really really good high school players never step foot in a DI school , because they are major draft material. I hardly think that Heath Castle would be considered someone that nobody wanted, would he? Yeah he was a 4.0 student and he went to St. Catharines, became UK's ace, and was drafted 3 times wasn't he?

I also believe that G-Town annilated both Morehead and Eastern just this past season. Check the season results if you dont believe me. Cumberland beat Morehead 3 years ago, and now wont play them, and it goes on and on and on. If you think that Morehead and the rest of the OVC is much better than most of the elite NAIA or DII, and DIII schools then you are just kidding yourself, so there is no need to down those programs. And no, not just anyone with a little potential can go to St. Catharines, Campbellsville, Georgetown, Union, and Cumberland and play. There is a difference in being on their JV teams and actually being in their varsity lineups. I will grant you Pikeville and Alice Lloyd here lately, however, but please dont throw any school in the OVC in the conversation as being superior to any of these other schools that added to your list of DI schools because their aint a dimes worth of difference, and in most cases Morehead and some of the other OVC cellar dwellers would be getting their hind ends kicked day after day after day.

Also I want to note that most kids that go to a DI school worth a crap dont have a prayer of stepping on the field as a freshman or a sophomore. You tell me what is better, sitting for two years and watching the upperclassman play, or actually getting the chance to play your first two years?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Saint Catharines is also a place to go if you have been drafted in the mid to high rounds of the MLB draft so you can work on improving a couple of things to improve your future draft status or if you have potential to be drafted in a year or so. If you go to any 4 year college then you CANNOT be drafted until after your junior season. St. Catharines gets a lot of those kids. Heck, most of the really, really good high school players never step foot in a DI school , because they are major draft material. I hardly think that Heath Castle would be considered someone that nobody wanted, would he? Yeah he was a 4.0 student and he went to St. Catharines, became UK's ace, and was drafted 3 times wasn't he?

I also believe that G-Town annilated both Morehead and Eastern just this past season. Check the season results if you dont believe me. Cumberland beat Morehead 3 years ago, and now wont play them, and it goes on and on and on. If you think that Morehead and the rest of the OVC is much better than most of the elite NAIA or DII, and DIII schools then you are just kidding yourself, so there is no need to down those programs. And no, not just anyone with a little potential can go to St. Catharines, Campbellsville, Georgetown, Union, and Cumberland and play. There is a difference in being on their JV teams and actually being in their varsity lineups. I will grant you Pikeville and Alice Lloyd here lately, however, but please dont throw any school in the OVC in the conversation as being superior to any of these other schools that added to your list of DI schools because their aint a dimes worth of difference, and in most cases Morehead and some of the other OVC cellar dwellers would be getting their hind ends kicked day after day after day.

Also I want to note that most kids that go to a DI school worth a crap dont have a prayer of stepping on the field as a freshman or a sophomore. You tell me what is better, sitting for two years and watching the upperclassman play, or actually getting the chance to play your first two years?
That should be corrected to say mid to low rounds.
kyrifle Wrote:Give me names of D1 players developed in the last 25 at Paintsville High. Hell anyone with any potential at all can go to St. Catherine, Alice Loyd, Pikeville, G-Town, Camblesville and any of these small schools and play. But mostly they go because no one else is interested or their ACT scores aren't good enough for a D1 school. I'll give you a couple of names and schools they signed with to get you started.

D1 don't mean shit in baseball... Just a couple years ago UK couldn't beat half the NAIA schools in the MSC conference.

Shane Simpkins - Lipscomb University (Beat LSU 2 outta 3 AT LSU, beat Vandy AT Vandy when Vandy was ranked #1 in the nation.) Ever heard of them. And oh yeah, Shane started every game in RF.