Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 28 Ashland 20
cooter Wrote:Russell struggled with Ashland...C'mon. Belfry is the king of this class this year. It will suprise me if they don't win a state championship.

In a few peoples eyes Belfry has been the king of the class for ever.

The thing that surprises me is that for the past several years both Belfry and Russell have had a very good run. Just because someone struggles does not guarantee the other team a win. May i remind you of who Belfry ran up against the past couple of years. Russell should get things straightened out as the season goes on and i suspect that IF both teams make it that far it will be a close game.
cooter Wrote:Russell struggled with Ashland...C'mon. Belfry is the king of this class this year. It will suprise me if they don't win a state championship.
Russell dominated Ashland for Three quarters. look at the stats. Ashland has two playmakers and they did make plays in the third quarter. Russell reagained the lead and ran out the clock.

Ashland also is not as bad as some may think. Yes they as well as Russell are inexperienced this year. But they have some talent. They also have not lost to little sisters of the poor. Raceland, Pikeville, Ironton and Russell is on tough stretch for the first four games.

Belfry may win a state title this year. I think their defensive front seven is special. Very fast and very agressive. Russell and Belfry would be an interesting matchup if they both make it that far. Russell offensive line has been better this year than last year IMO. They are much more of a grind it out team on offense without Clark and Frazier. But they have been impressive offensively. The defense needs to mature but they do have talent.

Also I believe I remember Belfry struggling with Boyd Co and Lawrence Co the past few years as well. Even the years when Belfry won state championships.

Ashland and Russell is also a huge rivalry. A very intense rivlary. I think most thought Russell would win but nobody that is close to the area expected Ashland to lay down. And to Ashlands credit they didn't.

If you are going to make a statement you need to give some reasoning to back it up. I hope that Russell and Belfry do get to meet again this year. It would be a very entertaining and hard hitting game.
Here is some interesting information.

From 98 until current.

Belfry is 94-31
Russell is 95-27

They have combined for 3 state championships and numerous semi final appearances. Sounds to me like they are pretty evenly matched from 98 until now.
Ashland had 8 changes on offense this past week and it worked... I would NOT be surprised if the soph stays the QB and Thomas stays at RB with the Carter kid in the backfield with him. You always know that Ashland plays Russell hard. We fumbled a kick off to allow the first score. they only had about 20 yards to go for the score?????? Then Thomas had a great game after that....
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I dont think Russell needs to be worrying about belfry, I think they need to be worrying about East Carter, who I think they will beat handily, but the real worry is Mason Co., Russell's line really needs to get things together, in the 3rd quarter they got dominated by Ashland, Mason's line will be even better, what's hurting Russell's line most is not talent, its just depth, there's really not alot of talented big men on the teams who can give the starters a break every once in awhile, but come playoff time, that shouldnt be a factor anymore hopefully.
cooter Wrote:Russell has a ways to go if they think they can handle Belfry.

I don't recall anybody from Russell bragging about how they are going to "handle" Belfry. One true thing, though is that if Russell is going to "handle" them, there is a LONG way to go (like 10 weeks).
When Royalty was at the QB spot Ashland looked like a totally different team. I'm glad that on the last drive Ashland put Thomas back in a QB because when he's running the tail-back spot in a big game he just decides to get the yardage and lowers his head and shoulders and takes the punishment. That is when Matt Thomas is at his best and hard to stop.
Thomas was never touched on his long run. Carter is the one that carried them on the only drive Ashland sustained to open the second half. The litttle sophmore was tough as nails and kept Ashland in the game on both offense and defense. Royalty is not ready to be the starter. The only reason Thomas was at RB is because Carter was gassed and had taken a pounding. I think they are better off with Thomas at QB and let Carter carry the load.

Hey D. That fumbled kickoff was Ashland's last TD not the first. The first came on a 90 yard drive where Carter ran them down the field. Carter also set Ashland up with a great punt return before Thomas had his 52 yarder.
Well I think that if he (Cooter) Is going to run his mouth he needs to back it up? But we need to worry about one game at a time and not everyone else we need to be focused on East Carter, and not the Mason's and Belfry's right now lets play East first then worry about Lawrence co, and so on,
sorry for the error FBALL> I can always count on you correcting me............
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
We will beat russell next year!!
I dont think so......
i do...
Then discuss it NEXT YEAR.

You may beat them or you may not. I do know that the Freshman at Ashland have lost three straight Kiwanis Bowls and the JV team lost last year and this year to Russell. However, that doesn't always correlate to who will be on the field for both teams next year. How about we now root for both Ashland and Russell to win all of the rest of their games THIS YEAR?
Sponge Bob Wrote:Then discuss it NEXT YEAR.

You may beat them or you may not. I do know that the Freshman at Ashland have lost three straight Kiwanis Bowls and the JV team lost last year and this year to Russell. However, that doesn't always correlate to who will be on the field for both teams next year. How about we now root for both Ashland and Russell to win all of the rest of their games THIS YEAR?

Here,Here I agree.:devilflam