Poll: Who wins this Pike Co Battle???
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
73.56%
Pikeville
26.44%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville vs. Belfry
This thread needs to stay on TOPIC, which is Belfry v Pikeville.

DO NOT start with personal attacks on individual players or this thread will be closed.
This is gonna be a great game! I have watched both teams play and I have to say that these two teams are the most physical teams in the area. May and Harmon are the best two backs in the area that I have seen hands down. I am going to go with the Panthers!! Good luck guys!
Belfry has a slight edge on theyre size up front but, from what Ive seen this year theyre no stronger than Pikeville in the trenches. The edge on speed goes to Pikeville hands down,even some Belfry fans have told me this and Ive seen it for myself. This game will be more evenly matched than most (especially those on Pond Creek) would like to think. This game will go like it usually does. Meaning that the team that commits the fewest penalties, turnovers, and cuts down on the mental mistkes will win the game and the team that doesnt wont. Pikeville and Belfry both have shown this year that they put the ball on the carpet more than usual.
Belfry should win this by a few points but Pikeville will be right up there with them until the final buzzer

Belfry 28
Pikeville 22
I'm gonna go with Pikeville in a VERY CLOSE game.
I say Belfry by a TD...or more
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Belfry has a slight edge on theyre size up front but, from what Ive seen this year theyre no stronger than Pikeville in the trenches. The edge on speed goes to Pikeville hands down,even some Belfry fans have told me this and Ive seen it for myself. This game will be more evenly matched than most (especially those on Pond Creek) would like to think. This game will go like it usually does. Meaning that the team that commits the fewest penalties, turnovers, and cuts down on the mental mistkes will win the game and the team that doesnt wont. Pikeville and Belfry both have shown this year that they put the ball on the carpet more than usual.

I agree with this post 100%. This game is going to be closer than a lot want to admit.
bigpun Wrote:Are you seriously trying to imply that Pikeville is the sole cause of what happened last year? Lest we forget about the Belfry fans cussing at and calling the water girls from Pikeville derogatory names that I will not repeat. We also forget about the racial slurs that were thrown at the two Honaker boys all night. And what about the phone calls the two Honaker boys recieved the night before the game with the same slurs. I herad most if not all of these goings on with my own ears. So there is no speculation with my statement. As for the game this year I hope both sides can play an intense game without the slurs and extra cirricular activities. I expect to see a good game. Good luck Pikeville.

I am absolutely sick and tired of this. I have witnessed with my own ears this stuff coming from Pikeville fans and parents also so if its happening from anyone it needs to stop but I assure you that if it happens on the Belfry aside I'm sure the coaches will not put up with it.
This will be a great game in the mountains this week. The Pirates have the home field advantage and will be looking to run and PASS all over the Panthers. The Panthers on the other hand appear to be a very improved team as well. This will be the best team that Belfry has played to this point. The Pirates will get my pick in a very close game due to defense. Pirates by 7! Either team has the potential to destroy the other if turnovers are going in ones favor.

Belfry- 14
Pikeville – 7 Cool

Welcome to the best site in town! If you need anything, just let me know.
For any Belfry fan thinking this game will be a blowout, then you better wake up. Pikeville is a legit team with a ton of athleticism and enough speed on defense to cause Belfry some major problems with penetrating the backfield and disrupting plays. Additionally, Pikeville posesses something Belfry hasn't seen all year, and that is an experienced backfield with big play ability.

I know alot of people are assuming this will be a fairly high scoring game, but I don't think it will be. Belfry is far too disciplined and experienced on defense this year to allow Pikeville to bust those looong plays which they have killed teams with this season, conversely, Pikeville's defense is definately underrated. The Panther's are not very adept in pass coverage, but they will wreak havoc on running games with their quickness and athleticism (much like Belfry, except I think Pikeville's defense is faster).

It's very cliche' to say that what will determine this game will be turnvers, penalties, and lineplay... but in this game it will be the truth. But, to get away from the ordinaru, here are my alternative keys to victory for both teams:

BELFRY
- Keep 'em honest.... Tim Honaker is a very good, athletic QB, but he comes nowhere close to Elkins when it comes to passing the ball. The Panthers have had a pension for missing tackles, and to be honest it is almost impossible to beat this Belfry team without putting 9-10 in the box. Therefore, Belfry's anbility to hit short passes and force the panther's to honor the passing game will be huge.

- Keep yourself honest...... Pikeville's bread and butter is misdirection and Honaker's reads on the handoff. With the size/strength (Sorry for the Pikeville poster who said Pikeville is stronger up front, that is definately false) disparity in the trenches the Panther's will be unable to beat Belfry with a power game, but the Pirates are vulnerable to misdirection. Belfry has very good DE's, but if they give up the corner or get sucked in then it is 10+ yards a pop for Pikeville.

- Lay on em.... Belfry's best chance of winning this game is to play vintage Phillip Haywood football and just drive the ball 3 yards at a time down the field and use those long time consuming drives to put points on the board. The Pirate's biggest strength up front is actually their depth, if they can wear down Pikeville's two way linemen, then this will pay huge dividends come the 4th Quarter (See last year's GW drive).

PIKEVILLE
- Don't eliminate yourselves early.... Belfry is not the team you want to try to come back from behind on, especially when you are as run oriented as Pikeville. I will have to mention those penalties and turnovers here, because to be honest, it is definately Pikeville's biggest bugaboo. If Pikeville commits early turnovers, or kill crucial drives with unwarranted personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conducts, then they will find themselves in a big hole.

-Don't eliminate yourself late..... Touching on one fo Belfry's keys to victory, I cannot stress enough the importance for Pikeville to not only be in a position to win late on the scoreboard, put in a position to win late in a physical standpoint. Thus, it means playing smart, but aggressive defense, throughout the game. The Panther's need multiple posessions where they hold the Pirate offense to 8 plays or less, additionally they need to force the issue on Belfry and create problems they haven't had to address yet this season by disrupting their plays in the backfield.

- Don't eliminate youself in between... meaning Special Teams in between posessions. The panther's kicking game has been, well, hideous at times... but their return game has looked 3 X better than Belfry. The Panthers have got to be sound kicking off, punting, and above all else, don't allow Belfry to balance their advantage with kick returns. Field position is going to be critical in this one, and aside from kickoffs and Field Goals, the Panthers should have a decisive advantage here.
I know this game has been a heated rivalry for years and thats a good thing but lets not make this into a he said she said thread. I love Belfry and I played 4 years for Coach Haywood but the truth is if Belfry doesn't come to play hardnose football Pikeville can beat Belfry. Pirates this team (Pikeville) is hungry they want to break that 7 game losing streak against us. They will come to CAM and they will NOT be intimidated . I beleive Belfry will win only if they respect the fact that Pikeville did not come to LOSE.

Belfry - 21
Pikeville- 14
EKUAlum05 Wrote:For any Belfry fan thinking this game will be a blowout, then you better wake up. Pikeville is a legit team with a ton of athleticism and enough speed on defense to cause Belfry some major problems with penetrating the backfield and disrupting plays. Additionally, Pikeville posesses something Belfry hasn't seen all year, and that is an experienced backfield with big play ability.

I know alot of people are assuming this will be a fairly high scoring game, but I don't think it will be. Belfry is far too disciplined and experienced on defense this year to allow Pikeville to bust those looong plays which they have killed teams with this season, conversely, Pikeville's defense is definately underrated. The Panther's are not very adept in pass coverage, but they will wreak havoc on running games with their quickness and athleticism (much like Belfry, except I think Pikeville's defense is faster).

It's very cliche' to say that what will determine this game will be turnvers, penalties, and lineplay... but in this game it will be the truth. But, to get away from the ordinaru, here are my alternative keys to victory for both teams:

BELFRY
- Keep 'em honest.... Tim Honaker is a very good, athletic QB, but he comes nowhere close to Elkins when it comes to passing the ball. The Panthers have had a pension for missing tackles, and to be honest it is almost impossible to beat this Belfry team without putting 9-10 in the box. Therefore, Belfry's anbility to hit short passes and force the panther's to honor the passing game will be huge.

- Keep yourself honest...... Pikeville's bread and butter is misdirection and Honaker's reads on the handoff. With the size/strength (Sorry for the Pikeville poster who said Pikeville is stronger up front, that is definately false) disparity in the trenches the Panther's will be unable to beat Belfry with a power game, but the Pirates are vulnerable to misdirection. Belfry has very good DE's, but if they give up the corner or get sucked in then it is 10+ yards a pop for Pikeville.

- Lay on em.... Belfry's best chance of winning this game is to play vintage Phillip Haywood football and just drive the ball 3 yards at a time down the field and use those long time consuming drives to put points on the board. The Pirate's biggest strength up front is actually their depth, if they can wear down Pikeville's two way linemen, then this will pay huge dividends come the 4th Quarter (See last year's GW drive).

PIKEVILLE
- Don't eliminate yourselves early.... Belfry is not the team you want to try to come back from behind on, especially when you are as run oriented as Pikeville. I will have to mention those penalties and turnovers here, because to be honest, it is definately Pikeville's biggest bugaboo. If Pikeville commits early turnovers, or kill crucial drives with unwarranted personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conducts, then they will find themselves in a big hole.

-Don't eliminate yourself late..... Touching on one fo Belfry's keys to victory, I cannot stress enough the importance for Pikeville to not only be in a position to win late on the scoreboard, put in a position to win late in a physical standpoint. Thus, it means playing smart, but aggressive defense, throughout the game. The Panther's need multiple posessions where they hold the Pirate offense to 8 plays or less, additionally they need to force the issue on Belfry and create problems they haven't had to address yet this season by disrupting their plays in the backfield.

- Don't eliminate youself in between... meaning Special Teams in between posessions. The panther's kicking game has been, well, hideous at times... but their return game has looked 3 X better than Belfry. The Panthers have got to be sound kicking off, punting, and above all else, don't allow Belfry to balance their advantage with kick returns. Field position is going to be critical in this one, and aside from kickoffs and Field Goals, the Panthers should have a decisive advantage here.

You always put alot of time into these and I respect you for it!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:For any Belfry fan thinking this game will be a blowout, then you better wake up. Pikeville is a legit team with a ton of athleticism and enough speed on defense to cause Belfry some major problems with penetrating the backfield and disrupting plays. Additionally, Pikeville posesses something Belfry hasn't seen all year, and that is an experienced backfield with big play ability.

BELFRY

PIKEVILLE

I never said we were stronger,I meant we were as strong as Belfry across the line.
NEXT Wrote:I am absolutely sick and tired of this. I have witnessed with my own ears this stuff coming from Pikeville fans and parents also so if its happening from anyone it needs to stop but I assure you that if it happens on the Belfry aside I'm sure the coaches will not put up with it.
I hope you are right about the coaches not putting up with it. I never said that the Pikeville fans weren't a little rowdy, but I don't seem to hear the same stuff out of their mouths as I have some other rival schools. They are by no means perfect and I agree it does need to stop.
Pirate4Life Wrote:(Pikeville) is hungry they want to break that 7 game losing streak against us.
Losing streak is actually SIX...

2006......Belfry 24 Pikeville 20
2005......Belfry 36 Pikeville 13
2004......Belfry 30 Pikeville 0
2003......Belfry 28 Pikeville 6
2002......Belfry 20 Pikeville 13
2001......Belfry 21 Pikeville 0

2000......Pikeville 31 Belfry 14
1999......Pikeville 26 Belfry 8
1998......Pikeville 35 Belfry 19

Avg Score over the past nine meetings:
Winner 27
Loser 10
i have been a part of this game, it is special it does not get better than Pikeville vs Belfry on a friday night good luck to both teams.
2006......Belfry 24 Pikeville 20
2005......Belfry 36 Pikeville 13
2004......Belfry 30 Pikeville 0
2003......Belfry 28 Pikeville 6
2002......Belfry 20 Pikeville 13
2001......Belfry 21 Pikeville 0

2000......Pikeville 31 Belfry 14
1999......Pikeville 26 Belfry 8
1998......Pikeville 35 Belfry 19

1997......Belfry won
1996......Belfry 26 Pikeville 20 (OT)
1995......Belfry 7 Pikeville 6
1994......Pikeville won
1993......Belfry 36 Pikeville 16
1992......Belfry won

BELFRY

PIKEVILLE

wow they should print this out and blow it up for the teams to read. This can win or lose a game
NEXT Wrote:I am absolutely sick and tired of this. I have witnessed with my own ears this stuff coming from Pikeville fans and parents also so if its happening from anyone it needs to stop but I assure you that if it happens on the Belfry aside I'm sure the coaches will not put up with it.

Thanks NEXT, thats what I was saying too but people get off the subject and just que in to what a few kids do. I was there too and yes we adults were yelling...to get the bad behavior off the field is all...I dont know what the kids were yelling, nothing worse than the Pikevilles kids I'm sure. We just wanted things stopped before someone was hurt....i wasnt talking about what went on with kids and their phones the night before or whatever. Im sure it went both ways but since I'm an adult I wasn't part of that LOL and I wasn't going to argue about it Rolleyes

AND I don't think ANYBODY thinks or said that this game will be a blowout
Belfry0304 Wrote:I'd love to see the defense hold Pikeville scoreless too.
I see it happening.
40+ to 7 [score on freshman late]

no one's scoring on us until Adam Dials comes.

Sounds like he predicted a blow-out....
BoondockSaint Wrote:1995......Belfry 7 Pikeville 6
yea wellllll..... lol :mad:
Big Grin Cake walk. Belfry WILL be in Pappa John's Stadium at the end of the year.:rockon:
Panther Thunder Wrote:yea wellllll..... lol :mad:

and you were talking about me...

Pikeville might be able to pull it off. but Belfrys defense is too good.

Good luck both teams
Belfry0304 Wrote:I'd love to see the defense hold Pikeville scoreless too.
I see it happening.
40+ to 7 [score on freshman late]

no one's scoring on us until Adam Dials comes.

SmileSmileSmile

You know Pikeville has all the guys back who ran all over Belfry last year don't you?
jetpilot Wrote:SmileSmileSmile

You know Pikeville has all the guys back who ran all over Belfry last year don't you?

you know Belfry won the game last year dont you?

So who cares if the run like that again, as long as Belfry wins again
mrfootball03 Wrote:you know Belfry won the game last year dont you?

You need to read the thread. The poster I was responding to said Pikeville wouldn't score.
mrfootball03 Wrote:you know Belfry won the game last year dont you?

that is far from true. Pikeville did run all over Belfry last year at Home. Belfry just happened to be passing the ball good in the 4th quarter and stopping Pikevilles 2 last plays to win by 4.
Who cares if they run like that again? Pikeville does so they can take advantage of it and put them on their backs
I'm thinking Belfry will take this one..
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I never said we were stronger,I meant we were as strong as Belfry across the line.

Still false.... Pikeville has an excellent line for mountain 1A teams, but Belfry may have the best line in the mountains overall.
There is no reason to even hit on " who ran all over who" last year.... Belfry returned the entire defense, and Pikeville lost nearly their entirew line, so it offsets. Plus... last year will have absolutely nothing to do with this game, just like Belfry's winning streak over the past 6 years don't mean a hill of beans. These are both two completely different teams basing their gameplan on the games they have seen played THIS SEASON.