Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Open Job: Head Coach, Magoffin County
(11-14-2021, 05:12 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 03:32 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:
(11-13-2021, 01:17 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-13-2021, 12:05 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:
(11-13-2021, 11:33 AM)Redneck Wrote: Why is that
Mainly based on how the last few years with the Blackcats went. Why act like you don't know what I'm referring to?

No one is acting like anything. Derosett hasn’t been at Pburg since 2017. Pburg still has kids transferring. I’d let my kid play for him in a heartbeat. If these Magoffin kids see his resume, it may open their eyes and get the kids roaming the halls to come out and play, much like what happened at JC when Matney took over.
Well, it's important to remember that Coach Matney became the head coach in 2004 and it wasn't until 2015 when they made their first championship appearance. Its hard for me to believe  that it would take six years for his "resume" to take effect. A much more likely explanation would be consistent work and cooperation from lots of people at many different levels. Prior to 2015 they won one regional championship and lost several. Furthermore, Coach Matneys resume at that point in his career was way more attractive than Coach Derosett's!

I didn’t say anything about state championships. I was referring to Jim being about to get the kids to come out and play as soon as he got there. They went from having low numbers, to very good numbers. That’s where it starts. Gotta get the athletes out of the halls and on to the field. And a State Runner-Up, 2 other State Semi-Final apperences, and 7 more Region Finals appearances, then add in the fact that John was the LB coach at Upike the past 3 years. Sounds like a pretty damn good resume to me. Idk how you get that Matneys resume before that point was better.
Someone of his caliber and track record should be in position for an opportunity a little more established. If Coach Derossett is available/seeking an opportunity what do you think are his chances of being considered for something with a little more potential? Like, let's say, Johnson Central? I mean that is quite the resume. 
(11-14-2021, 08:59 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 05:12 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 03:32 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:
(11-13-2021, 01:17 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-13-2021, 12:05 PM)Darth Hater Wrote: Mainly based on how the last few years with the Blackcats went. Why act like you don't know what I'm referring to?

No one is acting like anything. Derosett hasn’t been at Pburg since 2017. Pburg still has kids transferring. I’d let my kid play for him in a heartbeat. If these Magoffin kids see his resume, it may open their eyes and get the kids roaming the halls to come out and play, much like what happened at JC when Matney took over.
Well, it's important to remember that Coach Matney became the head coach in 2004 and it wasn't until 2015 when they made their first championship appearance. Its hard for me to believe  that it would take six years for his "resume" to take effect. A much more likely explanation would be consistent work and cooperation from lots of people at many different levels. Prior to 2015 they won one regional championship and lost several. Furthermore, Coach Matneys resume at that point in his career was way more attractive than Coach Derosett's!

I didn’t say anything about state championships. I was referring to Jim being about to get the kids to come out and play as soon as he got there. They went from having low numbers, to very good numbers. That’s where it starts. Gotta get the athletes out of the halls and on to the field. And a State Runner-Up, 2 other State Semi-Final apperences, and 7 more Region Finals appearances, then add in the fact that John was the LB coach at Upike the past 3 years. Sounds like a pretty damn good resume to me. Idk how you get that Matneys resume before that point was better.
Someone of his caliber and track record should be in position for an opportunity a little more established. If Coach Derossett is available/seeking an opportunity what do you think are his chances of being considered for something with a little more potential? Like, let's say, Johnson Central? I mean that is quite the resume. 
I imagine JC will hire inside the program, but ya never know. I do know for a fact that Derosett wants the Magoffin job. If JC were to contact him, maybe he’d change his mind. That would be a great opportunity for him.
If you're Magoffin County you have to give John Derossett a shot if he wants the job.

If you've kept up with him on social media, you can see he still has the itch to be a head coach again. Spent time at UPike as a LB's coach and I believe he's coaching the same position at Cabell Midland right now.

I'm sure he could have a staff together real quick that could change the culture of that program.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Red and Black, Redneck
(11-14-2021, 09:56 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: If you're Magoffin County you have to give John Derossett a shot if he wants the job.

If you've kept up with him on social media, you can see he still has the itch to be a head coach again. Spent time at UPike as a LB's coach and I believe he's coaching the same position at Cabell Midland right now.

I'm sure he could have a staff together real quick that could change the culture of that program.
Agreed 100%
I think Derossett would be a heck of a hire. I played and coached against some of his good teams at P-Burg. They were well coached and didn't care to hit you in the mouth. Always respected their program. I can remember some of his teams struggling to start the year only to keep improving and make a deep playoff run. That's the sign of a good coach in my opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wolfcat's post:
  • Redneck
(11-14-2021, 09:56 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: If you're Magoffin County you have to give John Derossett a shot if he wants the job.

That's another excellent highlight on his resume. Probably the same type of staff and culture he put together at Prestonsburg that allowed Paintsville and Johnson Central to make a living off of him for the last four or five years he was there and it eventually broke their backs. Its just a short ride down 460 from salyersville to paintsville.
(11-15-2021, 10:44 AM)Darth Hater Wrote:

That's another excellent highlight on his resume. Probably the same type of staff and culture he put together at Prestonsburg that allowed Paintsville and Johnson Central to make a living off of him for the last four or five years he was there and it eventually broke their backs. Its just a short ride down 460 from salyersville to paintsville.
I thought Paintsville, JC and even Pikeville (they’ve had some Pburg boys too) all recruited?
I'm hearing a very sucessful person from Floyd County is in the running.
(11-15-2021, 09:34 PM)Sports72 Wrote: I'm hearing a very sucessful person from Floyd County is in the running.
No sense in keeping it a secret. Might as well say the name. 

I got a feeling Magoffin is really gonna blow the opportunity they have to turn their football program around.
[-] The following 3 users Like Redneck's post:
  • clipperw, Nygfan106wins, wolfcat
(11-15-2021, 09:48 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 09:34 PM)Sports72 Wrote: I'm hearing a very sucessful person from Floyd County is in the running.
No sense in keeping it a secret. Might as well say the name. 

Agreed. I never understood why people here make posts saying they've "heard" names but wont come out and say the name.
Here's what I think this thread is missing... Derossett has made legitimate runs at 4 or 5 state titles in his career, won around 10 district titles and a few regional titles... Magoffin county has a GREAT season if they win 6 games. When was the last time magoffin won their district? Ever? Region? Ever? Magoffin would be out of their minds to pass on a coach with that kind of resume if he wanted to come considering the history of their program. Paintsville will never be what they were under Chirico again. JC may never be what they were under Matney again. If there was ever a time to build a good magoffin county football program then that time is now. If they hire some young middle school coach then they're just gonna be what they've always been over and over and over again.
(11-16-2021, 09:22 AM)Red and Black Wrote: Here's what I think this thread is missing... Derossett has made legitimate runs at 4 or 5 state titles in his career, won around 10 district titles and a few regional titles... Magoffin county has a GREAT season if they win 6 games. When was the last time magoffin won their district? Ever? Region? Ever? Magoffin would be out of their minds to pass on a coach with that kind of resume if he wanted to come considering the history of their program. Paintsville will never be what they were under Chirico again. JC may never be what they were under Matney again. If there was ever a time to build a good magoffin county football program then that time is now. If they hire some young middle school coach then they're just gonna be what they've always been over and over and over again.

5 years in a row that Pburg was beat by the eventual State Champion. 

2000 Boyle County, State Semi’s
2001 Bardstown, State Finals, QB broke his thumb oh his throwing hand a couple days before the game.
2002 Breathitt County, 2nd Round
2003 Belfry, Region Finals, awesome game, game that Pburg should have won IMO
2004 Belfry, Region Finals, awesome game. A coupke missed wide open receivers and Pburg wins this one, IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • Red and Black
(11-16-2021, 09:22 AM)Red and Black Wrote: Here's what I think this thread is missing... Derossett has made legitimate runs at 4 or 5 state titles in his career, won around 10 district titles and a few regional titles... Magoffin county has a GREAT season if they win 6 games. When was the last time magoffin won their district? Ever? Region? Ever? Magoffin would be out of their minds to pass on a coach with that kind of resume if he wanted to come considering the history of their program. Paintsville will never be what they were under Chirico again. JC may never be what they were under Matney again. If there was ever a time to build a good magoffin county football program then that time is now. If they hire some young middle school coach then they're just gonna be what they've always been over and over and over again.
It's way too early to say that either one of those things are true when it comes to Paintsville and Johnson Central. From everything I have heard Paintsville is very pleased with their coach and Johnson Central will no doubt attract and hire a quality person for the job. I have been around this area my entire life the simple fact is it will be very hard for John Derossett to ever land another head coaching job. He simply carries too much baggage with him. At the end oh his tenure most of his players despised him, parents werent happy with him, administration wasnt happy with him. Derossett is the classic example of too many brdiges being burnt. At the end of his run at Prestonsburg a ton of his players left leading to an eventual state champiniship at paintsville, key players going to pikeville, and other schools in the area. Sure, he may have a solid resume at prestonsburg but it ended badly as well as his short tenure a pikeville college. I agree that he could possibly do a decent job but at what cost?? In my opinion Magoffin should look for a young coach that could build the program over time. If Derossett is hired 2 things are certain: players will eventually leave and it will end badly that is just what happens with him.
This is a total “fantasy world” type post. Imagine if Magoffin could hire DeRossett and John Paul Chapman as co-head coaches. Give D the defense and JPC the offense. Bring Shortt Combs over from Breathitt (with his two boys) to coach the special teams. There you have it, Magoffin admin. You want a real football program; this is your path!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • Redneck
(11-16-2021, 10:52 AM)MountainMusic Wrote:
It's way too early to say that either one of those things are true when it comes to Paintsville and Johnson Central. From everything I have heard Paintsville is very pleased with their coach and Johnson Central will no doubt attract and hire a quality person for the job. I have been around this area my entire life the simple fact is it will be very hard for John Derossett to ever land another head coaching job. He simply carries too much baggage with him. At the end oh his tenure most of his players despised him, parents werent happy with him, administration wasnt happy with him. Derossett is the classic example of too many brdiges being burnt. At the end of his run at Prestonsburg a ton of his players left leading to an eventual state champiniship at paintsville, key players going to pikeville, and other schools in the area. Sure, he may have a solid resume at prestonsburg but it ended badly as well as his short tenure a pikeville college. I agree that he could possibly do a decent job but at what cost?? In my opinion Magoffin should look for a young coach that could build the program over time. If Derossett is hired 2 things are certain: players will eventually leave and it will end badly that is just what happens with him.
As opposed to what? Kids not coming out at all, which is what’s going on now. Name a young coach in the area that could actually build the program. One that could bring his own chosen assistants in, not the same guys that’s been roaming Magoffin sidelines for years.
(11-16-2021, 11:16 AM)ROTC Wrote: This is a total “fantasy world” type post.  Imagine if Magoffin could hire DeRossett and John Paul Chapman as co-head coaches.  Give D the defense and JPC the offense.  Bring Shortt Combs over from Breathitt (with his two boys) to coach the special teams.  There you have it, Magoffin admin.  You want a real football program; this is your path!!
I like your fantasy  Big Grin
(11-16-2021, 11:18 AM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 10:52 AM)MountainMusic Wrote:
As opposed to what? Kids not coming out at all, which is what’s going on now. Name a young coach in the area that could actually build the program. One that could bring his own chosen assistants in, not the same guys that’s been roaming Magoffin sidelines for years.
That nay be true, I don't know if there is a young coach that would want it/take it, and be able to hire assistants. That would just be best case scenario in my opinion but maybe not possible. I know that Magoffin doesn't have the same allure as a Pikeville, JC, Paintsville does but there may be someone out there that would want it. I just don't believe that Derossett is the answer or will be the answer. Anyone that has lived in this area and knows the facts would be hard pressed to argue anything I said if you're being reasonable and objective. I never said he couldn't coach or didn't have a solid resume but I believe that his time has passed and there's been too many bridges burnt and too many enemies made. Sometimes the negatives simply outweigh the positives.
(11-16-2021, 09:46 AM)Redneck Wrote:

2001 Bardstown, State Finals, QB broke his thumb oh his throwing hand a couple days before the game.
2004 Belfry, Region Finals, awesome game. A coupke missed wide open receivers and Pburg wins this one, IMO.
You left out some of the more recent heart breakers that they definitely should have won!
2012 2nd round vs Danville home 14 - 16 loss
2013 Somerset Regional Championship home 
.         21 - 28 loss
2014 Shelby Valley Regional Championship away
          14 - 20 loss
A few short years after that an entire class of kids loss to Paintsville. 
Very unfortunate series of events.
Give the job to John D, he is the most qualified.
It takes “a pair” to actively pursue a job at a school that mostly struggles, and is in Belfry’s district……Didn’t some guy leave P-burg some years back and go on to become the GOAT of HS football in KY????
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • Red and Black
(11-16-2021, 11:49 AM)Darth Hater Wrote:

You left out some of the more recent heart breakers that they definitely should have won!
.         21 - 28 loss
          14 - 20 loss
Give us a name of who you think would be a good hire. You obviously have something against Derosett.
(11-16-2021, 02:32 PM)Redneck Wrote:

.         21 - 28 loss
          14 - 20 loss
Give us a name of who you think would be a good hire. You obviously have something against Derosett.
When you put it that way it seems like you have something against facts. ?
(11-16-2021, 03:15 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:

.         21 - 28 loss
          14 - 20 loss
No, I just don’t care what happened the last few years at Pburg. You keep bringing up a group of boys that transferred to Paintsville. Not one of those boys played a snap at Prestonsburg High School under John Derosett. Kids leave Johnson Central to go to Paintsville before they get to high school, but no one ever said it was because of Matney, it’s always “they were recruited.” This same group of boys you keep bringing up were said to have been recruited. Which is it? Did they leave because they didn’t wanna play for a guy they had never played a down for, or were they recruited?
Magoffin just posted the job today, 11-16-21. Says they’re accepting applications until December 6th.
(11-16-2021, 04:42 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 09:46 AM)Redneck Wrote: 5 years in a row that Pburg was beat by the eventual State Champion. 

.         21 - 28 loss
          14 - 20 loss
No, I just don’t care what happened the last few years at Pburg. You keep bringing up a group of boys that transferred to Paintsville. Not one of those boys played a snap at Prestonsburg High School under John Derosett. Kids leave Johnson Central to go to Paintsville before they get to high school, but no one ever said it was because of Matney, it’s always “they were recruited.” This same group of boys you keep bringing up were said to have been recruited. Which is it? Did they leave because they didn’t wanna play for a guy they had never played a down for, or were they recruited?
I’d go with recruited if I was them lol I’d be embarrassed to say I left because a coach, that is like that Floyd County Bball team a few years ago quiting and getting their coach fired cause he was an actual coach and disciplined them and used a few bad words.
(11-16-2021, 05:21 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 11:49 AM)Darth Hater Wrote: You left out some of the more recent heart breakers that they definitely should have won!
.         21 - 28 loss
          14 - 20 loss
I’d go with recruited if I was them lol I’d be embarrassed to say I left because a coach, that is like that Floyd County Bball team a few years ago quiting and getting their coach fired cause he was an actual coach and disciplined them and used a few bad words.
According to all of my buddies from Pburg, that’s why kids left Derosett. He was too hard on his players. But, I ain’t gonna say the group of boys that went Paintsville weren’t tough, because they were absolutely tougher than new rope.
(11-16-2021, 05:38 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 02:32 PM)Redneck Wrote: Give us a name of who you think would be a good hire. You obviously have something against Derosett.
According to all of my buddies from Pburg, that’s why kids left Derosett. He was too hard on his players. But, I ain’t gonna say the group of boys that went Paintsville weren’t tough, because they were absolutely tougher than new rope.
I think one or two was apart of that small groups of parents that just didn’t like him for other reasons off the field and then it was a chain reaction from there. But to get back to Magoffin if I was them I’d eat a football to have him, they have never had anything close and this may be their only opportunity to have it.
(11-16-2021, 05:47 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 03:15 PM)Darth Hater Wrote: When you put it that way it seems like you have something against facts. ?
I think one or two was apart of that small groups of parents that just didn’t like him for other reasons off the field and then it was a chain reaction from there. But to get back to Magoffin if I was them I’d eat a football to have him, they have never had anything close and this may be their only opportunity to have it.
Me personally, I agree. I’m a Paintsville alumni. I do not know Coach Derosett personally. I am friends with most of the guys from Pburg my age. I played against them. I attended a lot of Pburg games after I graduated with those friends of mine. I have alot of respect for John and his teams. Being a parent of 2 boys that attend Magoffin County schools, I would love to see them hire Derosett. I know there are many others at Magoffin that agree.
(11-16-2021, 09:52 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 05:47 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 04:42 PM)Redneck Wrote: No, I just don’t care what happened the last few years at Pburg. You keep bringing up a group of boys that transferred to Paintsville. Not one of those boys played a snap at Prestonsburg High School under John Derosett. Kids leave Johnson Central to go to Paintsville before they get to high school, but no one ever said it was because of Matney, it’s always “they were recruited.” This same group of boys you keep bringing up were said to have been recruited. Which is it? Did they leave because they didn’t wanna play for a guy they had never played a down for, or were they recruited?
Me personally, I agree. I’m a Paintsville alumni. I do not know Coach Derosett personally. I am friends with most of the guys from Pburg my age. I played against them. I attended a lot of Pburg games after I graduated with those friends of mine. I have alot of respect for John and his teams. Being a parent of 2 boys that attend Magoffin County schools, I would love to see them hire Derosett. I know there are many others at Magoffin that agree.
The recruiting line is one of the best excuses! What did they get offered a milk cow, 3 goats, and a dozen chickens. The ones who weren't interested in that were kidnapped and made to play against their will.
This is pretty simple and straight forward to me. I don’t want to sound like a Derossett detractor I don’t know the man, only met him a few times. The proof is in the pudding, it was more than just a few parents being the reason he was fired. Ask around to the people who were there. There was serious allegations put on him and coaching staff. When someone is being considered for a position the best place to ask is previous employers. I believe if that is done then you’re answer becomes clear. He may bring some discipline, he may bring a few wins but when the dust settles it will be the same thing it always is and that’s an ugly ending with him being the one disciplined. I want mountain football to be great and if he’s hired I wish magoffin the best but as a Floyd county alum and someone who’s lived here all my life there’s just more bad than good when it comes to him. He applied before and someone less qualified was hired? Why would there be any different outcome this time. There are reasons.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next