Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jackson County 69. Clay County 58
Bully Keith…LOL. Nailing women? You may have more insight than we are all aware of:). I always heard Gray would leave this year for the Jackson Co girls job but it hasn’t come to fruition yet
(03-11-2022, 05:57 PM)nedreader Wrote: Bully Keith…LOL.  Nailing women?  You may have more insight than we are all aware ofSmile. I always heard  Gray would leave this year for the Jackson Co girls job but it hasn’t come to fruition yet
Why would he leave to take the Jackson Co. girls job?
(03-11-2022, 05:57 PM)nedreader Wrote: Bully Keith…LOL.  Nailing women?  You may have more insight than we are all aware ofSmile. I always heard  Gray would leave this year for the Jackson Co girls job but it hasn’t come to fruition yet

Not sure why he would go from a bad team to an even worse one but who knows? Seems like no one knows "who's on first" over in Manchester.  As far as Keith, he was a great coach and a legend in this part of the state and he LOVED Clay Co. However, he was a bully on the sidelines during games. He tried to intimidate opposing players, coaches, and referees and he was wildly successful at it, especially on his home court.
OldSchoolHound, you sound like you have been personally affected by Keith…are you okay?
#makeamericasofter
(03-12-2022, 01:37 AM)nedreader Wrote: OldSchoolHound, you sound like you have been personally affected by Keith…are you okay? 
#makeamericasofter

No, I had nothing personal against Keith. Even asked for his autograph once when he came to a Corbin game to scout. He graciously obliged me. Admittedly, I didn't like him much as a youngster growing up because of how he stormed the sidelines, hair disheveled , shirt out of his pants, ranting and raving, and intimidating opponents and referees.  But the biggest reason I didn't like him back then wasn't because he bullied his opposition and the referees. The reason I didn't like him is because his teams were so damned good and my team could never beat his. He had his loud, intimidating style but the bottomline is the guy was a winner and a helluva coach. As much as I despised him as a student and alum of an opposing 13th region school, I would have LOVED for him to have coached at my school. He was the kind of guy you hate if you are on the other team but you love if he is on your side. Nothing but respect for what he accomplished. True legend.

Quick story.  Went to the 13th region tourney at Clay in '94 .  Corbin played underdog Jackson County in the opening round. The game was one of the most incredible in region history. Corbin , with All-State guard, Tony Pietrowski,  was the tourney favorite, along with a great Harlan team.  The game ended with a Jackson County win in triple overtime. Both teams scored in triple digits. Pietrowski's HS playing career came to an end, as did Corbin's hopes for a run in the state tourney.  As the game ended, Bob Keith was several rows down below me waving his arms and pounding that legendary fist into the air in celebration. I just had to say something. When I saw he was by himself, I went down and said to the old coach, " Coach , what are you so happy about? You haven't won this thing."  He grinned and said , "Son, maybe I just did."  *mic drop*

He was right.  His team upset Harlan and then finished off Jackson County by twenty points in the finals to get another regional title.  RIP Coach.

It would be silly to mention most any coach in the same vein as Keith but the fact is, Clay's current coach seems like a nice man and is a pretty darn good ball coach. Lack of talent is a much bigger issue than lack of coaching.
Gray runs off any talent that’s in high school and his inability to develop players runs off any kids grades 4-8. Please don’t go into the Knoxville Catholic stuff anymore cause that’s getting really old as if they were the Lakers or something. Bottom line is Gray doesn’t put in enough work to be a winner.
Apparently there's enough people that think Gray is pretty good because they keep running him back out there again and again.  I won't mention Knoxville Catholic again(although shutting out a good team like Catholic for a whole quarter is pretty damned amazing). If you want, however, I will list some top notch coaches that Glenn has beaten multiple times.

Wish I knew what it was that Glenn has done to harm your sensibilities. If it wasn't benching a son/nephew or porking your significant other, I am at a loss as to what's behind your fervent dislike of a nice gentleman, successful businessman ,  and pretty decent coach like Mr. Gray.
Clay needs a winner, not a nice guy or good business man. Also, it only takes 2-3 a$$ clowns to keep a coach in Clay Co apparently.
(03-12-2022, 09:02 PM)nedreader Wrote: Clay needs a winner, not a nice guy or good business man.  Also, it only takes 2-3 a$$ clowns to keep a coach in Clay Co apparently.

A$$clowns are not exclusive to Manchester. Believe me, we have a sh!tload of them here as well.  Pretty good topic for debate--- if one had to choose between a coach who is an exceptionally nice guy but mediocre as far as a winning coach vs. a real a$$hole who wins 30 games every season, who would you choose? I think most in towns like Manchester and Corbin(or anywhere, for that matter) would want the a$$hole who wins.  Winning, in today's society, seems to be , not the most important thing but THE ONLY thing that matters. Corbin has a pretty good basketball coach who, by most accounts, is also a pretty good guy.  Coach Gray, though I don't know him, seems like a pretty good guy as well. I guess where I differ from some others is that I think he's a pretty good coach also. Obviously , this season was a titanic struggle , though. 

I do think Clay will be back winning games again . I think a lot of it has to do with the losing of local talent to other schools. I wish Clay the best. I really enjoyed watching some of those great Clay teams. I recently watched the '87 LIT ,  '87 State Championship, and '88 State Championship, all games pitting Clay County against Ballard. Man, were those teams good!!! Clay won two of the three and , in the one they lost, Richie put up a 50-burger on the Bruins. I would encourage every fan of HS basketball to go onto you tube and watch those three epic Clay Co.-Ballard games. Tremendous basketball.  Clay County is the reason the 13th region is stronger now than it was decades ago. In order to compete with Clay, schools HAD to get better or suffer a beat down. I'm rooting for Coach Gray to get things turned around, at least to where Clay is competitive again. I think it will happen eventually.
(03-12-2022, 06:38 PM)nedreader Wrote: Gray runs off any talent that’s in high school and his inability to develop players runs off any kids grades 4-8.  Please don’t go into the Knoxville Catholic stuff anymore cause that’s getting really old as if they were the Lakers or something.  Bottom line is Gray doesn’t put in enough work to be a winner.

Greatest Accomplishments in Clay County Basketball history, ranked by Coach: 

Bobby Keith: 
Wins 1987 State Tournament, beating Ballard and future NBA All-Star Allan Houston & future WKU great Mark Bell 
Runner-Up in State Tournament in 1985 and 1988
Enters State Tournament Undefeated in 1989 
State Semi-Finalist in 1992, plays in Beach Ball Classic against field that includes Jason Kidd & Rasheed Wallace
Streak of titles in the 13th Region Tournament and WYMT Mountain Classic that no one has came close to touching 

Donnie Gray: 
Wins 1989 State Tournament 
State Runner Up in 1992
31-3 record and a regional title in his final year as head coach
Won over 78% of games he coached and won all 11 district titles and won 8 of 11 regional titles in his first 11 years as coach
Coached 7 players who were first, second, or third team All-State

Ivy Burchell: 
Five regional titles as coach of the girls
Inherited the impossible act of following Bobby Keith after his first retirement 
Upset Corbin on their home floor in the regional tournament when no one gave them a chance

Mike Jones: 
Inherited the impossible act of following Bobby Keith (when he was likely retired for good) and did nothing to tarnish the program given the state it was in when he inherited it
Upset Bell County in the regional final in 2001 and ended the season in Rupp as a quarterfinalist 
Had a 2004 team that was ranked top 10 in legitimate state polls such as the Lexington Herald-Leader 
Gave the program a shot as a legitimate regional contender practically every year he held the job 

Robert Marcum: 
Wins two regional titles, with his first title being one that no one saw coming
Lost to eventual State Champion Covington Catholic in the first round of the Sweet 16 by 2 points (their lowest margin of victory in the tournament) 
Was considered a big upset when his team (who had two starters banged up) lost to Williamsburg in the regional final 
Coached in 4 regional finals

Kevin Spurlock: 
Took over a program that Gray had left in a time when talent was considered down and remained competitive during his five year tenure
Didn't win regional tournament (during a run of strong South Laurel and good Corbin teams) but never lost a district tournament game (even with a field the mighty, world-beating North Laurel dynasty at fault for Gray's district losses in the field) 

Glenn Gray: 
Three district tournament titles in seven years as coach, with only one being away from his home floor
Shut out Knoxville Catholic for one quarter during a Christmas tournament at Corbin 

The expectation at Clay County wasn't that you go into the postseason to win games, it was that you went into the postseason to win tournaments.

One of these things is not like the other, but Corbin and questionable social media posts are kind of a thing too.
No more comments needed by anyone. Head Viper has painted a VERY clear picture…along with the number of fans in the stands each home game…or lack of fans I should say.
(03-13-2022, 11:38 AM)nedreader Wrote: No more comments needed by anyone.  Head Viper has painted a VERY clear picture…along with the number of fans in the stands each home game…or lack of fans I should say.

But more comments ARE needed.  Blaming Coach Gray for the lack of talent in Clay County seems to be unfair. No one has proven that Coach Gray is responsible for the outflow of talent from Clay.  Socioeconomic conditions are bad there. No one with any hopes for their childrens' futures wants to live in that place. I travel over there once in awhile to get donuts at the bakery and by the time I get back I'm wanting to slit my wrist from the sadness that followed me home. It's a depressing  sh!thole (ex-President's word, not mine) of a place. My donuts even taste better once I'm out of the county and back into Laurel.  Kids with talent want to play with the Reed Shepherd's and play in prestigious tournaments. And parents of talented kids want their kids to excel, not only on a basketball court but in life.

I don't know how true it is but I was told that the current decision-makers in Clay are wanting a greater emphasis on academics rather than winning tournaments; teaching them tools to be successful in life after school and and not just another sad basketball hero who winds up  broke, substance-addicted , and owning an orange jumpsuit issued by a federal prison. If that is indeed the case, I admire  the Clay County administrators for trying to provide the kids with a better path and a way out of their sad Kentucky home.

Maybe it is just coachspeak, but I have heard coaches speak about how well-coached Clay is under Gray. I know he has done pretty well against some of the best coaches in the region. He may not be great but he's definitely not bad like you all want to portray. No one on here was complaining when he was 16-0. He won 6 games this season because he had poor basketball players. If he had North Laurel's roster this season he would have won a region title. And if Coach K would have Coached Clay's roster this season, he would have won six games.
(03-13-2022, 12:32 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-13-2022, 11:38 AM)nedreader Wrote: No more comments needed by anyone.  Head Viper has painted a VERY clear picture…along with the number of fans in the stands each home game…or lack of fans I should say.

But more comments ARE needed.  Blaming Coach Gray for the lack of talent in Clay County seems to be unfair. No one has proven that Coach Gray is responsible for the outflow of talent from Clay.  Socioeconomic conditions are bad there. No one with any hopes for their childrens' futures wants to live in that place. I travel over there once in awhile to get donuts at the bakery and by the time I get back I'm wanting to slit my wrist from the sadness that followed me home. It's a depressing  sh!thole (ex-President's word, not mine) of a place. My donuts even taste better once I'm out of the county and back into Laurel.  Kids with talent want to play with the Reed Shepherd's and play in prestigious tournaments. And parents of talented kids want their kids to excel, not only on a basketball court but in life.

I don't know how true it is but I was told that the current decision-makers in Clay are wanting a greater emphasis on academics rather than winning tournaments; teaching them tools to be successful in life after school and and not just another sad basketball hero who winds up  broke, substance-addicted , and owning an orange jumpsuit issued by a federal prison. If that is indeed the case, I admire  the Clay County administrators for trying to provide the kids with a better path and a way out of their sad Kentucky home.

Maybe it is just coachspeak, but I have heard coaches speak about how well-coached Clay is under Gray. I know he has done pretty well against some of the best coaches in the region. He may not be great but he's definitely not bad like you all want to portray. No one on here was complaining when he was 16-0. He won 6 games this season because he had poor basketball players. If he had North Laurel's roster this season he would have won a region title. And if Coach K would have Coached Clay's roster this season, he would have won six games.

Wow. I mean, everyone has to look down on someone. I guess if it's Corbin, you look down from the rooftop of a movie theater or a KFC museum. Maybe post some selfies from Buffalo Wings & Rings or Applebees to just really rub in all that Corbin has to offer-- that'll show 'em what high society looks like.

Funny that most of those from other parts of the state look at all Eastern Kentuckians the same, but maybe some can't see that because their Willard's wife Jenny didn't cut out the eyeholes correctly again.
(03-13-2022, 10:56 PM)Head_Viper Wrote:
(03-13-2022, 12:32 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Wow. I mean, everyone has to look down on someone. I guess if it's Corbin, you look down from the rooftop of a movie theater or a KFC museum. Maybe post some selfies from Buffalo Wings & Rings or Applebees to just really rub in all that Corbin has to offer-- that'll show 'em what high society looks like.

Funny that most of those from other parts of the state look at all Eastern Kentuckians the same, but maybe some can't see that because their Willard's wife Jenny didn't cut out the eyeholes correctly again.
I guess it is where Corbin can get Snoop Dogg to come to their town.....LOL.......Corbin morons want Gray to stay at Clay because under Gray.....Corbin is the favorite by a landslide.  If Amon Couch was still superintendent Gray would have been gone several years ago.......with the one we have now....Gray is there as long as he wants to be no matter the results.
Gray needs to go before we lose more players to OBI, Jackson, or North. He has ran off enough talent already. Its not looking good for clay though with summer workouts already starting, I look for him to have about 4 players out again this summer. It doesn't help that he has 0 help on the bench either. Clay needs to clean house and bring out the checkbook and try to lure in a Shannon Hoskins or a Brad Sizemore type of coach. This is just the cold hard truth 7 years in enough to see it isn't working.
(03-14-2022, 05:17 PM)FallRock Wrote: Gray needs to go before we lose more players to OBI, Jackson, or North. He has ran off enough talent already. Its not looking good for clay though with summer workouts already starting, I look for him to have about 4 players out again this summer. It doesn't help that he has 0 help on the bench either. Clay needs to clean house and bring out the checkbook and try to lure in a Shannon Hoskins or a Brad Sizemore type of coach. This is just the cold hard truth 7 years in enough to see it isn't working.
I've always said Gray has great job security. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to. The chairman of the board works for him. Not just any job, I would think that as editor of the paper Mr. Hoskins is pulling down a pretty good salary, plus his son is the sports editor. What's he going to do, call his BOSS in and say, look Glenn you're fired.
#RICOact
#coachmarkandtanner
#dontbuythephotopackages
#rmrunsthecounty
#blindleadingtheblind
#winningprogram>ses
#5laneroadthroughgarrard
(03-13-2022, 01:24 AM)Head_Viper Wrote:
(03-12-2022, 06:38 PM)nedreader Wrote: Gray runs off any talent that’s in high school and his inability to develop players runs off any kids grades 4-8.  Please don’t go into the Knoxville Catholic stuff anymore cause that’s getting really old as if they were the Lakers or something.  Bottom line is Gray doesn’t put in enough work to be a winner.

Bobby Keith: 
Wins 1987 State Tournament, beating Ballard and future NBA All-Star Allan Houston & future WKU great Mark Bell 
State Semi-Finalist in 1992, plays in Beach Ball Classic against field that includes Jason Kidd & Rasheed Wallace
Streak of titles in the 13th Region Tournament and WYMT Mountain Classic that no one has came close to touching 

Donnie Gray: 
State Runner Up in 1992
Won over 78% of games he coached and won all 11 district titles and won 8 of 11 regional titles in his first 11 years as coach

Ivy Burchell: 
Inherited the impossible act of following Bobby Keith after his first retirement 
Upset Corbin on their home floor in the regional tournament when no one gave them a chance

Mike Jones: 
Inherited the impossible act of following Bobby Keith (when he was likely retired for good) and did nothing to tarnish the program given the state it was in when he inherited it
Upset Bell County in the regional final in 2001 and ended the season in Rupp as a quarterfinalist 
Had a 2004 team that was ranked top 10 in legitimate state polls such as the Lexington Herald-Leader 
Gave the program a shot as a legitimate regional contender practically every year he held the job 

Robert Marcum: 
Lost to eventual State Champion Covington Catholic in the first round of the Sweet 16 by 2 points (their lowest margin of victory in the tournament) 
Was considered a big upset when his team (who had two starters banged up) lost to Williamsburg in the regional final 

Kevin Spurlock: 
Took over a program that Gray had left in a time when talent was considered down and remained competitive during his five year tenure
Didn't win regional tournament (during a run of strong South Laurel and good Corbin teams) but never lost a district tournament game (even with a field the mighty, world-beating North Laurel dynasty at fault for Gray's district losses in the field) 

Glenn Gray: 
Three district tournament titles in seven years as coach, with only one being away from his home floor
Shut out Knoxville Catholic for one quarter during a Christmas tournament at Corbin 

The expectation at Clay County wasn't that you go into the postseason to win games, it was that you went into the postseason to win tournaments.

One of these things is not like the other, but Corbin and questionable social media posts are kind of a thing too.

Girls coach before Gray won at least a couple of regional titles. Was it Sizemore?
The boys coach before Keith also won a region in the 60s, maybe 68.
(03-16-2022, 03:41 PM)HCS Wrote:
(03-13-2022, 01:24 AM)Head_Viper Wrote:

Bobby Keith: 

Donnie Gray: 
State Runner Up in 1992

Ivy Burchell: 

Mike Jones: 

Robert Marcum: 

Kevin Spurlock: 

Glenn Gray: 

Girls coach before Gray won at least a couple of regional titles. Was it Sizemore?
The boys coach before Keith also won a region in the 60s, maybe 68.
Girls was Sizemore, I think. Boys was Skyler Garrison. I'm not 100% on either.
Donnie Gray was girls coach for Clay and he won a state championship as well.

Just saw where it was already posted, lol.
Clay has had some really good basketball coaches and I think Coach Gray should be included in that group.
Yes, Donnie Gray but not the current individual who sits on the Tiger bench.