Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mays fired from Ashland
(11-17-2022, 10:38 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(11-15-2022, 05:23 PM)Ramcat77 Wrote:
(11-15-2022, 05:20 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Why would they fire him with the season less than two weeks away?

Because the KHSAA was fixing to drop the hammer.

(11-16-2022, 12:28 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: Win at all cost. That is what he did and his motto. “Catch me if you can”.  Well just like any criminal or rule breaker. Mays got caught. If you can’t do the time. Don’t do the crime.  As far as mays being a good coach. He isn’t. He is a recruiter. You pick up half your team from the Tri state and play teams who have majority or almost all home grown kids. That’s like going back to grade school and picking all the good players on your team at recess and beating the other team. He hasn’t developed anyone. Not one kid. Recruiter not coach. I agree with most. He doesn’t belong in high school basketball for that very reason.  Khsaa will hand down other punishments and I hope it doesn’t effect any of the kids. Especially for what a greedy egotistical high school basketball coach and administration did.
This is the most ridiculous commentary imaginable. You say “As far as Mays being a good coach, he isn’t.” You add, “he hasn’t developed anyone”. That he’s a “criminal.” 
unbelievable!! 
You are 100% wrong! His first team at Ashland didn’t have a single transfer. The season was a up and down until late January when he was able to get Cole Villers back from a knee injury. After he returned the team started on a roll. Jason had to change his philosophy some because he was used to coaching college kids and it’s different in high school. Once he figured that out and made some changes in strategy the team won Ashland’s first regional championship in 17 years! And they didn’t stop there. They defeated Owensboro at the State Tournament and made it to the Quarterfinals where they lost to eventual champs Trinity. This was accomplished with the team he inherited. No transfers. The second year he coached he had one transfer and the rest were Ashland boys. That team went undefeated at 33-0 and defeated the likes of Trinity, Warren Central, Madison Central, GRC, Mason County, etc along the way. Unfortunately they didn’t get to play at Rupp because of the Pandemic. The Tomcats won another 16th Region title. They will go down as the first teams since Brewers High in the 1940s to finish a season undefeated. His third year coaching there were two transfers. One was a doctor’s son from West Virginia that was hired at the hospital. The other was an 8th grade transfer from Greenup. The rest of the team was Ashland kids. The team won another regional championship and won their first two games at the state tournament against Knox Central and Boyle County, finally losing to Highlands in the semifinals. And last year there was one transfer who played very sparingly. They won their fourth straight region but got a tough draw at Rupp and lost to Covington Catholic in the first round, a team that they had defeated earlier in the season. 
So Coach Mays’ record at Ashland in his four years is 99-28 with 3 district titles and 4 region titles. Some of his players that have gone on to play college basketball are Robinson, Villers, Sellars, Porter, the kid at Transy who I can’t recall the name but I think it is Hudson. 
And you say he’s not a good coach, he’s a good recruiter. SMH. Totally outlandish statements. He has had 4…., let me repeat this….4 transfers in the 4 years he’s been at Ashland. GRC had 7 transfers last year alone and most of them started in their state championship season. And I’m not saying they were not totally legitimate. Just saying. Kids transfer all over the state every year. And if you think there’s not conversations going on between parents and staffs pre and post you are badly mistaken. Yeah, Jason made a mistake, but when compared to other schools 4 transfers in 4 years is mild.
You obviously must have family that didn’t make the team or wasn’t good enough to play. Your hatred for this coach for your own selfish and personal reasons is an obsession. But I’m not going to to sit ideally and not respond to absolutely ludicrous comments like you’ve made about Mays’ coaching abilities. He is one of the top coaches in the state. He is great at developing players and improving their games. He didn’t coach to 4 regional championships without knowing how to coach. He didn’t coach Ashland to 3 wins at Rupp  without knowing what he was doing. He didn’t coach a team to 33-0 by not understanding the game.
Yeah, you’ve made it clear you don’t personally like him, and that’s fine if you feel that way. But you only make  yourself look ridiculous and childish with accusations and opinions that this man can’t coach. He just didn’t roll out the basketballs and it magically happened.
You continue to be on repeat. I careless what you think happened.  Fact is. He recruited multiple players and attempted to recruit additional players that didn’t come.  He is not a role model. He is a great cheater and recruiter. That’s it.

(11-17-2022, 09:43 AM)16thregioner Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 11:01 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: That’s what I’m saying. It’s not entrapment by definition. Coach called, coached begged without parent asking!  He just recorded. Now we can only speculate why he recorded it. Definitely not entrapment. Just by the fact. Nothing illegal about recording a two party call. We all know that

The attorney for Jason Mays will definitely remove you from the jury pool in the civil suit against this parent. 

It is, in fact, entrapment by definition.  If you listened to the recording, it's Jason Mays who answers the phone and says "hello".  Unless you are an imbecile, we don't have to speculate as to why the parent recorded it AND released it on the internet.  This was done to damage the reputation, career, and finances of Jason Mays.  Another motive would be to ensure the parent's son could have a better chance at winning a 16th region title, but thousands of parents for generations have shared that motive.  This is the first parent to go after a man's career.

I agree with you that the most likely states where this call was originated and received are one-party consent states, so the parent will not be going to jail. 

16thregionballer, would you be OK with having all of your personal conversations recorded from here on out?  How about being OK with having them released on the internet after they've been recorded?  I bet we could find at least one conversation for most people that would be life altering if that became common practice.

It's not changing the narrative at this point.  Jason Mays has been dealt with by the KHSAA.  His reputation has been tarnished and his job has been ended.  There's no more narrative with regards to Jason Mays.  Perhaps Boyd supporters would like to keep the narrative focused on Ashland in hopes of a post-season ban or player ineligibility, but that narrative only has a few more days of life until it's over.
Opinions vary and we don’t know all the facts. The facts we do know. He cheated got fired by his own actions. Even though he takes no ownership in his own actions. No one else’s. He recruited several players and attempted to recruit additional players. Hired a great coach in Bonner. A generational Tomcat. Kids love him and so do parents. Excited for him and the kids. Hoping for no post season ban. Kids didn’t do anything. Mays and Administration did. As far as the nut cases on here still advocating he didn’t deserve what he got based of his own actions. He is a role model. Great guy. You evidently never met the man or just dismiss his actions in the position he held. You are a special kind of idiot. In addition of needing to look yourself in the mirror about your morals or lack there of.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregionballer's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
So apparently, upon investigation, it was found that Coach Mays is working on the side for a recruiting service, and was offering kids free services through that company upon transferring. Anyone know what the name of that company is? Is it Next Up Recruits?
(11-19-2022, 03:57 PM)Fanman Wrote: So apparently, upon investigation, it was found that Coach Mays is working on the side for a recruiting service, and was offering kids free services through that company upon transferring.  Anyone know what the name of that company is? Is it Next Up Recruits?

Hopefully Mays can extend his marketing services to the entire area now that he isn’t beholden to one school.  Holy Family should hire him to coach their boys basketball team.
(11-19-2022, 06:30 PM)16thregioner Wrote:
(11-19-2022, 03:57 PM)Fanman Wrote: So apparently, upon investigation, it was found that Coach Mays is working on the side for a recruiting service, and was offering kids free services through that company upon transferring.  Anyone know what the name of that company is? Is it Next Up Recruits?

Hopefully Mays can extend his marketing services to the entire area now that he isn’t beholden to one school.  Holy Family should hire him to coach their boys basketball team.

Too late, they got the guy that used to be in with OJ Mayo's family back in the day, and coach his AAU team lol
Someone mentioned a civil suit from Jason Mays against the parent. Don’t know if that was just a hyperbole. But all coaches are hired for one year contracts. The school can chose not to hire you back for any reason. In this case, I’m sure they fired him for cause. Even then, one cannot argue that he not was fired for cause. Even though recoding the phone call was a snake move, it was not illegal as you only need one person consent. Jason Mays is not a “criminal” because he didn’t break any actual “law”, but he did break KHSAA bylaws and a code of ethics.

Jason Mays is a great coach and a great guy, however, I think he is better suited for college.
(11-21-2022, 07:25 PM)brooksville Wrote: Someone mentioned a civil suit from Jason Mays against the parent.  Don’t know if that was just a hyperbole.  But all coaches are hired for one year contracts.  The school can chose not to hire you back for any reason.  In this case, I’m sure they fired him for cause.  Even then, one cannot argue that he not was fired for cause.  Even though recoding the phone call was a snake move, it was not illegal as you only need one person consent.  Jason Mays is not a “criminal” because he didn’t break any actual “law”, but he did break KHSAA bylaws and a code of ethics.

Jason Mays is a great coach and a great guy, however, I think he is better suited for college.

I would be surprised if there WASN'T an attempted suit against the parent.  I mean if I were Mays I would at least speak to legal counsel to see if there was anything there.  I mean don't get me wrong, he broke the rules and probably deserved to be fired, but the way it came to light, may be means for some kind of lawsuit.
What kind of joke is this? PCC & GRC make Jason look like a choir boy. Jason has only had 3 or 4 transfers since he has been at Ashland. PCC & GRC do more than that in 1 year. Jason Mayes came in and wrecked the 16th region, he has completely dominated all 4yrs he has been there. Everyone hates a winner I guess
[-] The following 2 users Like Wildcat100's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER, Ramcat77
(11-22-2022, 09:37 AM)Wildcat100 Wrote: What kind of joke is this? PCC & GRC make Jason look like a choir boy. Jason has only had 3 or 4 transfers since he has been at Ashland. PCC & GRC do more than that in 1 year. Jason Mayes came in and wrecked the 16th region, he has completely dominated all 4yrs he has been there. Everyone hates a winner I guess
9 of the 14 players on the current roster posted on the khsaa website are transfers. He did wreck the 16th and Ashland by recruiting. Homegrown Ashland kids were pushed out. Recruited over. I’m sure you are good with that though since because rules and bylaws don’t matter. I hope he doesn’t set Ashland back 3 years for his arrogance and total disregard for the rules. That goes for any program.

(11-21-2022, 11:33 PM)Fanman Wrote:
(11-21-2022, 07:25 PM)brooksville Wrote: Someone mentioned a civil suit from Jason Mays against the parent.  Don’t know if that was just a hyperbole.  But all coaches are hired for one year contracts.  The school can chose not to hire you back for any reason.  In this case, I’m sure they fired him for cause.  Even then, one cannot argue that he not was fired for cause.  Even though recoding the phone call was a snake move, it was not illegal as you only need one person consent.  Jason Mays is not a “criminal” because he didn’t break any actual “law”, but he did break KHSAA bylaws and a code of ethics.

I would be surprised if there WASN'T an attempted suit against the parent.  I mean if I were Mays I would at least speak to legal counsel to see if there was anything there.  I mean don't get me wrong, he broke the rules and probably deserved to be fired, but the way it came to light, may be means for some kind of lawsuit.
Does anyone think Mays would want phones records, emails and txt subpoena to court?  Lol I would love to see that. Maybe then we would get a better understanding why the khsaa was not pleased with 4 game suspension.  Find out what all that additional information was about. Sounds way bigger then one kid. One parent. One recruit.
(11-22-2022, 09:37 AM)Wildcat100 Wrote: What kind of joke is this? PCC & GRC make Jason look like a choir boy. Jason has only had 3 or 4 transfers since he has been at Ashland. PCC & GRC do more than that in 1 year. Jason Mayes came in and wrecked the 16th region, he has completely dominated all 4yrs he has been there. Everyone hates a winner I guess
I agree. 
As far as players playing meaningful minutes in his 4 years as Ashland head coach he only had 3 transfers that did. And there were only 4 transfers in all…..in 4 years. Someone mentioned there were transfers in the elementary and I don’t know about that, but if so that hasn’t help Jason in his present W-L record and championships. He also didn’t have a single transfer his first year when the Tomcats won the region and also one game at State.

By far the majority of transfers all over the state, and there’s hundreds in all sports, the transfer is originated by the parents, not the coaches. Coaches don’t pick up the phone and say, “Hey Mr Smith, man I was just sitting here thinking how good our team could be if you would consider moving your son/daughter to our school….”  That kind of conversation doesn’t happen, or very rarely does. If these Jason haters on here think that all the transfers throughout Kentucky just showed up suddenly at the front door of their new school,  they are badly mistaken. You can bet your last nickel that there have been numerous conversations between the parents and coaches before the transfer, and the first contacts were made by the parents. Parents want to know the system and coaches explain it to them, who to see to do the paper work process, things about the academics, and they welcome them to the community. That routine, which is parent generated to kick start it, happens all over the state and that includes the 16th region. But it leads to multiple conversations with the coach or his staff. Some of these posters with their mud slinging are most likely fans of schools that have benefited greatly from such transfers in basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, soccer, etc. But they won’t discuss that, lol. Someone had a list in the big thread of all the successes and championships that had been accomplished by different 16th schools in the last 10 years by adding numerous transfers to get them over the hump and to the winner circles. But since it’s their favorite school that benefits that little snippet will be brushed aside. ? The big thread was so full of hypocrites making comments it was shameful.
Why does everyone keep focusing on all these other schools and coaches that didnt slip up and get caught. This coach broke the rules, got busted, and got fired. Has nothing to do with "all the other coaches around the state"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanman's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
(11-22-2022, 10:59 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
I agree. 
As far as players playing meaningful minutes in his 4 years as Ashland head coach he only had 3 transfers that did. And there were only 4 transfers in all…..in 4 years. Someone mentioned there were transfers in the elementary and I don’t know about that, but if so that hasn’t help Jason in his present W-L record and championships. He also didn’t have a single transfer his first year when the Tomcats won the region and also one game at State.

By far the majority of transfers all over the state, and there’s hundreds in all sports, the transfer is originated by the parents, not the coaches. Coaches don’t pick up the phone and say, “Hey Mr Smith, man I was just sitting here thinking how good our team could be if you would consider moving your son/daughter to our school….”  That kind of conversation doesn’t happen, or very rarely does. If these Jason haters on here think that all the transfers throughout Kentucky just showed up suddenly at the front door of their new school,  they are badly mistaken. You can bet your last nickel that there have been numerous conversations between the parents and coaches before the transfer, and the first contacts were made by the parents. Parents want to know the system and coaches explain it to them, who to see to do the paper work process, things about the academics, and they welcome them to the community. That routine, which is parent generated to kick start it, happens all over the state and that includes the 16th region. But it leads to multiple conversations with the coach or his staff. Some of these posters with their mud slinging are most likely fans of schools that have benefited greatly from such transfers in basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, soccer, etc. But they won’t discuss that, lol. Someone had a list in the big thread of all the successes and championships that had been accomplished by different 16th schools in the last 10 years by adding numerous transfers to get them over the hump and to the winner circles. But since it’s their favorite school that benefits that little snippet will be brushed aside. ? The big thread was so full of hypocrites making comments it was shameful.
You do understand if you did what your implying if you were a coach. You’d be at the house with Mays. Currently 9 of 14 kids on todays roster are transfers. You’re absolutely right I don’t support a cheater who messes over his own homegrown kids. Never will. Bonner is not that kinda guy imo. Step in the right direction
(11-22-2022, 11:05 AM)Fanman Wrote: Why does everyone keep focusing on all these other schools and coaches that didnt slip up and get caught. This coach broke the rules, got busted, and got fired. Has nothing to do with "all the other coaches around the state"
I think it’s because some are wanting to make it appear that Jason was a big time recruiter for transfers when he wasn’t. That he couldn’t have success without it, which his first region title proves that inaccurate.  He had 4, and only 3 played. And that’s in four seasons. As far as “slipping up”, there’s a huge bunch of coaches out there in the regions, including your 16th, that are so happy a parent didn’t audio them, and may be worried that there are a few audios out there that they don’t know about, lol. The three players that have impacted Ashland since Jason has been there we’re not recruited. Porter came to Ashland on his own. His family liked Ashland and he had played summer AAU with Cole Villers and became friends. Carter was not recruited either. His parents sent him to Ashland from the 8th grade, which in those days were automatic eligible. I don’t know about Marcum but his dad or mom was a doctor and worked at the hospital in Ashland. I’m sure the dad would not have come to Ashland if they had not wanted to. They moved and their son was legal. I think their plans were to move on to Florida after he graduated but I don’t know if that happened or not. So regardless, Jason’s success at Ashland has not been due to his “recruiting”. He joked with the guy on the audio about the Russell kid but he was only kidding. I think the player had at one time thought about coming to Ashland and was told he should stay where he was. Jason made a joke on the audio, “after he scored 30 against us I guess I should have gone after him harder”. But he was only being factious. He was in South Carolina with his son at a baseball game and was probably in a relaxed way. The season was over and this guy was talking friendly and saying things like he liked the way Jason coached and how he developed his players. I’ve done that kind of chit chat and ramble on, everyone does, and sometimes things come out not exactly what you meant but it usually is no big deal. But it is if the caller has nefarious intentions, which this fellow did. His intentions was to do exactly what he did, and accomplished. Now the biggest nemesis is out of the way of other 16th schools, his included. 
It’s my understanding what he did is legal in Kentucky, you can audio tape someone without their knowledge. However, you can not later use that audio for malicious intent to defame and do damage to the receiver of that call. And that’s what this guy did. He made sure the tape was sent to social media and others. That kind of changes the ball game imo if Jason Mays wants to pursue it. He may not but if he does he may have a good chance of winning a decision against the caller in Civil Court. That’s just my opinion.

(11-22-2022, 11:13 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:
I agree. 

You do understand if you did what your implying if you were a coach. You’d be at the house with Mays. Currently 9 of 14 kids on todays roster are transfers. You’re absolutely right I don’t support a cheater who messes over his own homegrown kids. Never will. Bonner is not that kinda guy imo. Step in the right direction
So you’re saying he had 9-14 transfers on his high school team, 9-12, in his years of coaching at Ashland. I don’t think that’s accurate and you know it. It’s hyperbole, which is pretty standard for you.  Elementary kids move around all the time. Some of the ones you are talking about probably transferred to Ashland before Jason even got the high school varsity job. But they definitely haven’t had any impact on his varsity success at the school. 
So stop deflecting and conjuring up things that have nothing to do with Jason. I do know for a fact that every high school player that he coached at Ashland was not recruited. All four came to Ashland on their own decisions. If you don’t believe that then pick the phone up and call Porter, Carter, Marcum and Mayor and hear their accounts of it. 
So when it comes to the bottom line the accusation is that “recruits” are the only reason Jason won in his time as coach. Well , as it turns out none of his 3 transfers in 4 years that saw key playing minutes were recruited. They came on their own because they liked Coach Mays and the school. He knows how to develop players and has around 7 in the college ranks playing right now.
(11-22-2022, 11:37 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 11:05 AM)Fanman Wrote: Why does everyone keep focusing on all these other schools and coaches that didnt slip up and get caught. This coach broke the rules, got busted, and got fired. Has nothing to do with "all the other coaches around the state"
I think it’s because some are wanting to make it appear that Jason was a big time recruiter for transfers when he wasn’t. That he couldn’t have success without it, which his first region title proves that inaccurate.  He had 4, and only 3 played. And that’s in four seasons. As far as “slipping up”, there’s a huge bunch of coaches out there in the regions, including your 16th, that are so happy a parent didn’t audio them, and may be worried that there are a few audios out there that they don’t know about, lol. The three players that have impacted Ashland since Jason has been there we’re not recruited. Porter came to Ashland on his own. His family liked Ashland and he had played summer AAU with Cole Villers and became friends. Carter was not recruited either. His parents sent him to Ashland from the 8th grade, which in those days were automatic eligible. I don’t know about Marcum but his dad or mom was a doctor and worked at the hospital in Ashland. I’m sure the dad would not have come to Ashland if they had not wanted to. They moved and their son was legal. I think their plans were to move on to Florida after he graduated but I don’t know if that happened or not. So regardless, Jason’s success at Ashland has not been due to his “recruiting”. He joked with the guy on the audio about the Russell kid but he was only kidding. I think the player had at one time thought about coming to Ashland and was told he should stay where he was. Jason made a joke on the audio, “after he scored 30 against us I guess I should have gone after him harder”. But he was only being factious. He was in South Carolina with his son at a baseball game and was probably in a relaxed way. The season was over and this guy was talking friendly and saying things like he liked the way Jason coached and how he developed his players. I’ve done that kind of chit chat and ramble on, everyone does, and sometimes things come out not exactly what you meant but it usually is no big deal. But it is if the caller has nefarious intentions, which this fellow did. His intentions was to do exactly what he did, and accomplished. Now the biggest nemesis is out of the way of other 16th schools, his included. 
It’s my understanding what he did is legal in Kentucky, you can audio tape someone without their knowledge. However, you can not later use that audio for malicious intent to defame and do damage to the receiver of that call. And that’s what this guy did. He made sure the tape was sent to social media and others. That kind of changes the ball game imo if Jason Mays wants to pursue it. He may not but if he does he may have a good chance of winning a decision against the caller in Civil Court. That’s just my opinion.
Everything about your post is your opinion. Nothing you said is fact. You’d know that if you listened to the audio. As far as Mays. He defamed himself. He openly admitted on audio without prompting spoke of 5 kids on there which 3 transferred aka recruited. Take opinion out. Just go with the facts. Midland kid transferred back to midland the day after the team lost in Rupp. He graduated from midland. The parents were upset. Do to mays promising them more and getting him offers.

I agree. 

So you’re saying he had 9-14 transfers on his high school team, 9-12, in his years of coaching at Ashland. I don’t think that’s accurate and you know it. It’s hyperbole, which is pretty standard for you.  Elementary kids move around all the time. Some of the ones you are talking about probably transferred to Ashland before Jason even got the high school varsity job. But they definitely haven’t had any impact on his varsity success at the school. 
So stop deflecting and conjuring up things that have nothing to do with Jason. I do know for a fact that every high school player that he coached at Ashland was not recruited. All four came to Ashland on their own decisions. If you don’t believe that then pick the phone up and call Porter, Carter, Marcum and Mayor and hear their accounts of it. 
So when it comes to the bottom line the accusation is that “recruits” are the only reason Jason won in his time as coach. Well , as it turns out none of his 3 transfers in 4 years that saw key playing minutes were recruited. They came on their own because they liked Coach Mays and the school. He knows how to develop players and has around 7 in the college ranks playing right now.
9 of the 14 kids on the current roster are transfers. CURRENTLY.  He tells you how to circumvent khsaa by transferring in middle school. SMH. This not my opinion. This is facts. You just don’t know or have blind loyalty to Mays. Not to Ashland or it’s kids

(11-22-2022, 11:57 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:
Everything about your post is your opinion. Nothing you said is fact. You’d know that if you listened to the audio. As far as Mays. He defamed himself. He openly admitted on audio without prompting spoke of 5 kids on there which 3 transferred aka recruited. Take opinion out. Just go with the facts. Midland kid transferred back to midland the day after the team lost in Rupp. He graduated from midland. The parents were upset. Do to mays promising them more and getting him offers.

I agree. 

9 of the 14 kids on the current roster are transfers. CURRENTLY.  He tells you how to circumvent khsaa by transferring in middle school. SMH. This not my opinion. This is facts. You just don’t know or have blind loyalty to Mays. Not to Ashland or it’s kids
1 from Huntington, 1 from Bath, 1 East Carter, 1 from Greenup County , 5 from Boyd all on the current Khsaa basketball roster
Listen Baller, I’m not going to go back and forth with you but you have told one inaccuracy after another throughout your posts in different threads. I think you probably have a personal reason for being so invested in this situation and it has nothing to do with teams and so forth but probably more individual based. I hope things work out for you so you will be happy, along with a few others on here. Mays is now gone from the sideline.

Coach Mays will be okay. I wish him well. I’m sure he will land somewhere else in the future. Right now his concern is taking care of his wife who battling serious health issues. I’m sure that is his major focus, along with being a good dad to his two kids.
Ashland is in good hands with Coach Bonner. He is a super nice person and a heck of a coach. And Mays will eventually end up in another program, maybe college but could be another high school. That’s to see.
I wish you and yours good day and I am finished with this subject and will move on to watching by favorite sport, high school basketball, through as many games as I can attend and also stream.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • i82much
(11-22-2022, 12:17 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Listen Baller, I’m not going to go back and forth with you but you have told one inaccuracy  after another throughout your posts in different threads. I think you probably have a personal reason for being so invested in this situation and it has nothing to do with teams and so forth but probably more individual based. I hope things work out for you so you will be happy, along with a few others on here. Mays is now gone from the sideline.

Coach Mays will be okay. I wish him well. I’m sure he will land somewhere else in the future. Right now his concern is taking care of his wife who battling serious health issues. I’m sure that is his major focus, along with being a good dad to his two kids.
Ashland is in good hands with Coach Bonner. He is a super nice person and a heck of a coach. And Mays will eventually end up in another program, maybe college but could be another high school. That’s to see.
I wish you and yours good day and I am finished with this subject and will move on to watching by favorite sport, high school basketball, through as many games as I can attend and also stream.
Not on inaccurate thing I have said. You on the other hand have just plain out lied. This with a audio to disprove your opinions. Facts over fiction. I hope you have a great holidays and the three wisemen visit you. Your posts give me a headache anyway
(11-22-2022, 12:17 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Listen Baller, I’m not going to go back and forth with you but you have told one inaccuracy  after another throughout your posts in different threads. I think you probably have a personal reason for being so invested in this situation and it has nothing to do with teams and so forth but probably more individual based. I hope things work out for you so you will be happy, along with a few others on here. Mays is now gone from the sideline.

I’m sure Mays will find a spot somewhere.  On the other hand, Bonner (nice guy or not), will have withstand the remaining enforcement and fallout.  The program will be going back to development and x and o coaching instead of marketing and recruiting.  This takes more than just being a nice guy.  I’m not saying he isn’t capable but just being realistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SocratesKy's post:
  • 16thregionballer
Fanman
lol
(11-22-2022, 01:09 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:

I’m sure Mays will find a spot somewhere.  On the other hand, Bonner (nice guy or not), will have withstand the remaining enforcement and fallout.  The program will be going back to development and x and o coaching instead of marketing and recruiting.  This takes more than just being a nice guy.  I’m not saying he isn’t capable but just being realistic.

I don’t know Bonner’s capabilities?  Is he this type of coach?
(11-22-2022, 01:54 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Fanman
lol
?

But while we're at it, I guess you havent heard about the KHSAA talking to the Russell kid and his family about what Mays said to them. Im sure he was just "joking" though lol
(11-22-2022, 02:14 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:

Will he be able to develop the existing players assuming some current players are ineligible or move because they have a post season ban?  Can this be answered by someone that is familiar with the program?
(11-22-2022, 05:09 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:

Will he be able to develop the existing players assuming some current players are ineligible or move because they have a post season ban?  Can this be answered by someone that is familiar with the program?
He is capable of developing kids. He knows the Ashland kids really well. Since elementary. As for the aftermath of Mays recruitment for the past 3 seasons. He ran some kids off because of it. Some that are on the current roster that are playing football that were considering not playing for obvious reason. Three homegrown kids. They are now without question playing with his removal. As far as khsaa sanctions still to come or a couple that could possibly be deemed ineligible. IDK? We will know next week. Everyone is just wishing they who decide so we all can continue to put this behind us and just deal with whatever is handed down. My question is this! Mays was fired as head coach but goes down the road to whatever high school and get hired and picks up where he left off recruiting. However, if khsaa imposes sanctions on Ashland. Example post season ban or fines or both. He gets to continue coaching high school while Ashland is left to feel the brunt of his wrong doing?? That’s the real question IMO
(11-22-2022, 05:31 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:

He is capable of developing kids. He knows the Ashland kids really well. Since elementary. As for the aftermath of Mays recruitment for the past 3 seasons. He ran some kids off because of it. Some that are on the current roster that are playing football that were considering not playing for obvious reason. Three homegrown kids. They are now without question playing with his removal. As far as khsaa sanctions still to come or a couple that could possibly be deemed ineligible. IDK? We will know next week. Everyone is just wishing they who decide so we all can continue to put this behind us and just deal with whatever is handed down. My question is this! Mays was fired as head coach but goes down the road to whatever high school and get hired and picks up where he left off recruiting. However, if khsaa imposes sanctions on Ashland. Example post season ban or fines or both. He gets to continue coaching high school while Ashland is left to feel the brunt of his wrong doing?? That’s the real question IMO

The fundamental problem with all of this is the unfairness to schools that abide by the rules.  By continuing on, business as usual at Ashland, the program and administration would benefit greatly from this past recruitment.  Don’t prevent these recruited players from playing, but follow the rules and allow play at the school district they originally played in while executing a post season ban allowing them to stay put and still play at Ashland.  The administration that allowed this to go on will not be glorified for continued success based on recruiting.
(11-22-2022, 06:06 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 01:09 PM)SocratesKy Wrote: I’m sure Mays will find a spot somewhere.  On the other hand, Bonner (nice guy or not), will have withstand the remaining enforcement and fallout.  The program will be going back to development and x and o coaching instead of marketing and recruiting.  This takes more than just being a nice guy.  I’m not saying he isn’t capable but just being realistic.

The fundamental problem with all of this is the unfairness to schools that abide by the rules.  By continuing on, business as usual at Ashland, the program and administration would benefit greatly from this past recruitment.  Don’t prevent these recruited players from playing, but follow the rules and allow play at the school district they originally played in while executing a post season ban allowing them to stay put and still play at Ashland.  The administration that allowed this to go on will not be glorified for continued success based on recruiting.
I agree. Any school who actively recruits is dead wrong and should be punished. The principal per the bylaw is the sole person responsible to oversee the eligibility of the kids who transferred or recruited to their school. Once they get punished or get demoted then you will see an actual change    I don’t think everyone does it. I do think who ever is responsible should be punished.  I don’t like to see innocent kids get punished for adult decisions. I agree. Those kids who maybe deemed ineligible are eligible somewhere. They can go back to where they actually live. I think they can by the way I read the rule
(11-22-2022, 11:05 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 06:06 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 02:14 PM)SocratesKy Wrote: I don’t know Bonner’s capabilities?  Is he this type of coach?

I agree. Any school who actively recruits is dead wrong and should be punished. The principal per the bylaw is the sole person responsible to oversee the eligibility of the kids who transferred or recruited to their school. Once they get punished or get demoted then you will see an actual change    I don’t think everyone does it. I do think who ever is responsible should be punished.  I don’t like to see innocent kids get punished for adult decisions. I agree. Those kids who maybe deemed ineligible are eligible somewhere. They can go back to where they actually live. I think they can by the way I read the rule

Even if they don’t live in the school district they came from, I’m sure they will make an exception for them to be eligible immediately if they choose to return to their original school or stay at Ashland with no post season opportunity for a couple of years.
I agree with you, baller, in that I don’t think everyone gets transfers. In fact, most region teams don’t have the opportunities that Ashland and Boyd do. Only the teams that win regions do it. The proof is in the rosters of region winning teams. As long as you’re ok with watching your boy get whipped as a Tomcat in basketball by Boyd County, then it should be a great few years for you. Be aware, though, that not all parents may feel the same way. As I said, the coach prior to Mays was fired due to a parent march on the school board meeting for a 24-6 season after losing the district and region final games to a recruit-led Boyd County team. Be careful what you wish for.
(11-22-2022, 11:48 PM)16thregioner Wrote: I agree with you, baller, in that I don’t think everyone gets transfers.  In fact, most region teams don’t have the opportunities that Ashland and Boyd do.  Only the teams that win regions do it.  The proof is in the rosters of region winning teams.  As long as you’re ok with watching your boy get whipped as a Tomcat in basketball by Boyd County, then it should be a great few years for you.  Be aware, though, that not all parents may feel the same way.  As I said, the coach prior to Mays was fired due to a parent march on the school board meeting for a 24-6 season after losing the district and region final games to a recruit-led Boyd County team.  Be careful what you wish for.
Howell was let go because of how he treated the players verbally. Parents reported him and assistant coach did as well. Ashland is still the favorite by every social media outlet. Picked #9 in the state by the journal. Regardless BC will have to come through Ashland.
Could those kids be eligible if they go to an out off state high school?
(11-23-2022, 12:32 AM)SocratesKy Wrote: Could those kids be eligible if they go to an out off state high school?
Transfer rules would apply. They would have to move. Wv or Oh.
(11-22-2022, 11:48 PM)16thregioner Wrote: I agree with you, baller, in that I don’t think everyone gets transfers.  In fact, most region teams don’t have the opportunities that Ashland and Boyd do.  Only the teams that win regions do it.  The proof is in the rosters of region winning teams.  As long as you’re ok with watching your boy get whipped as a Tomcat in basketball by Boyd County, then it should be a great few years for you.  Be aware, though, that not all parents may feel the same way.  As I said, the coach prior to Mays was fired due to a parent march on the school board meeting for a 24-6 season after losing the district and region final games to a recruit-led Boyd County team.  Be careful what you wish for.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Yeah, elaborate on what the parent march was about? Pretty sure it wasn't their record, or anything to do with Boyd
(11-23-2022, 12:40 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 12:32 AM)SocratesKy Wrote: Could those kids be eligible if they go to an out off state high school?
Transfer rules would apply. They would have to move. Wv or Oh.
So they do have that option.  I could see KHSAA given them selective treatment to go back to their original school too so the kids will still have opportunity. Plus, if they really wanted to stay at Ashland they could stick around if the post season isn’t a priority considering the post season bans.