Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 14th Region Rankings and Predictions
(02-25-2024, 11:47 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: How is Perry Central looking this year?  I liked the Perkins kid a lot and know he is back for them.  He’s only one I can remember right now.
They also have the Gayheart and Combs kid who are decent players. Lost big arms and big bats from last couple seasons. Will be depending on a lot of young players this season.
(02-23-2024, 10:22 PM)Baseball247 Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 08:27 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote:
(02-19-2024, 01:19 PM)williamsfan1930 Wrote:
(02-16-2024, 02:15 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote: [quote pid="2442354" dateline="1707019308"]

Truthfully we don't know what Powell has for offense. If you look at khsaa for 2023 then you see that several changes should have happened throughout the season but they never did. Too much talent sat the bench over there in 2023.

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...ts_89341_0
What changes are you talking about?

So Powell had 10 players with any significant AB's in 2023. Thacker hit .221 but if you take out the games against weak teams... what is Thacker hitting? Also looking at the stats it does not look like Thacker had a hit in the first 6 games?!?!?! I know the freshman class over there was pretty big last season and you only have 10 players with opportunities to contribute the entire season?? 

Compare that with Estill. Who gave lots of players opportunities to contribute. Looks like they had 14 or 15 kids with opportunities.

Powell has a lot more talent and it is not being utlized.
I can definitely agree with this. To be honest I believe their JV team Vs the Varsity team would have been at least competitive. Lots of young talent there. I hear of a lot of negative rumblings out of there though. People always talking about transferring elsewhere or not playing at all anymore. Will be interesting to see if more kids will get opportunities this year. But with 2 dads on the coaching staff that have 3 kids that’s probably 3 spots that won’t be so flexible. Just the facts. Hard to set your assistant coaches kids if they aren’t playing well. Makes for an uncomfortable dugout.

(02-23-2024, 10:22 PM)Baseball247 Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 08:27 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote:
(02-19-2024, 01:19 PM)williamsfan1930 Wrote:
(02-16-2024, 02:15 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote: [quote pid="2442354" dateline="1707019308"]

Truthfully we don't know what Powell has for offense. If you look at khsaa for 2023 then you see that several changes should have happened throughout the season but they never did. Too much talent sat the bench over there in 2023.

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...ts_89341_0
What changes are you talking about?

So Powell had 10 players with any significant AB's in 2023. Thacker hit .221 but if you take out the games against weak teams... what is Thacker hitting? Also looking at the stats it does not look like Thacker had a hit in the first 6 games?!?!?! I know the freshman class over there was pretty big last season and you only have 10 players with opportunities to contribute the entire season?? 

Compare that with Estill. Who gave lots of players opportunities to contribute. Looks like they had 14 or 15 kids with opportunities.

Powell has a lot more talent and it is not being utlized.
I can definitely agree with this. To be honest I believe their JV team Vs the Varsity team would have been at least competitive. Lots of young talent there. I hear of a lot of negative rumblings out of there though. People always talking about transferring elsewhere or not playing at all anymore. Will be interesting to see if more kids will get opportunities this year. But with 2 dads on the coaching staff that have 3 kids that’s probably 3 spots that won’t be so flexible. Just the facts. Hard to set your assistant coaches kids if they aren’t playing well. Makes for an uncomfortable dugout.

[/quote]

Why don’t if those dads are causing problems and allowing their kids to play when shouldn’t be. someone should go to the head coach or to other school officials and get them removed. Shouldn’t be that hard to get them removed if they are in fact taking advantage of the situation. I’ve heard of both of those coaches. I know one has coached for years with the mid American prospect and the other has been associated with the little league and also coached for years. Both of those guys have coached kids from all over eastern ky and won at every level that they have coached. I believe if I had a kid in that program I would want answers. I’d be confronting the coaches in person and asking the tough questions and demanding answers from.

I don’t know the whole situation or if there is any problems. I just know it’s never good to have dads on a coaching staff. Hard to play your best players or give anyone new a chance. 
[/quote]
Powell definitely has problems with the baseball team. I do agree that it is a terrible look for a parent to coach at the high school level especially if their kid isn't just leaps and bounds better and there be no doubt. But rather then complain on this forum, how about the kids that isn't playing gets on the field and leaves no doubt to the coaches that they belong on the field.
(02-26-2024, 03:23 PM)Bulldog19 Wrote: Powell definitely has problems with the baseball team. I do agree that it is a terrible look for a parent to coach at the high school level especially if their kid isn't just leaps and bounds better and there be no doubt. But rather then complain on this forum, how about the kids that isn't playing gets on the field and leaves no doubt to the coaches that they belong on the field.
No one is complaining. Just observations.
(02-24-2024, 09:48 PM)Bulldog19 Wrote: I think it’s a two horse race between Breathitt and Wolfe, but I could see Knott and Powell having something to say about that. Breathitt has to find a way to win when Bellamy isn’t on the bump or else I could see them falling. Same way with Letcher when the Williams kid isn’t pitching for them. After watching Wolfe last year knocking off Hazard and them being so young I gotta think Wolfe is probably the most talented team in the region but has to have some pitching step up.
I think it will come down to which team develops arms better. If Wolfe can get their lefty going he may be the answer for Wolfe. Howard and Tincher both could develop into really good arms as well.

(02-26-2024, 03:23 PM)Bulldog19 Wrote: Powell definitely has problems with the baseball team. I do agree that it is a terrible look for a parent to coach at the high school level especially if their kid isn't just leaps and bounds better and there be no doubt. But rather then complain on this forum, how about the kids that isn't playing gets on the field and leaves no doubt to the coaches that they belong on the field.

Unfortunately there aren’t a lot of young coaches willing to coach for little to no money. It use to be you had assistant coaches that spent years under a head coach and learning. Maybe even under multiple coaches learning. Nowadays everyone is getting offered positions before they ever prove themselves. Because of that it also kills your pool of assistants to choose from. At the end of the day dads are the only ones willing to put in the same amount of time the head coach puts in and do it for free. It does cause issues and if head coaches can be very firm on the boundaries they want then it could work.
(02-27-2024, 07:32 PM)14th Official Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 09:48 PM)Bulldog19 Wrote: I think it’s a two horse race between Breathitt and Wolfe, but I could see Knott and Powell having something to say about that. Breathitt has to find a way to win when Bellamy isn’t on the bump or else I could see them falling. Same way with Letcher when the Williams kid isn’t pitching for them. After watching Wolfe last year knocking off Hazard and them being so young I gotta think Wolfe is probably the most talented team in the region but has to have some pitching step up.
I think it will come down to which team develops arms better. If Wolfe can get their lefty going he may be the answer for Wolfe. Howard and Tincher both could develop into really good arms as well.

Unfortunately there aren’t a lot of young coaches willing to coach for little to no money. It use to be you had assistant coaches that spent years under a head coach and learning. Maybe even under multiple coaches learning. Nowadays everyone is getting offered positions before they ever prove themselves. Because of that it also kills your pool of assistants to choose from. At the end of the day dads are the only ones willing to put in the same amount of time the head coach puts in and do it for free. It does cause issues and if head coaches can be very firm on the boundaries they want then it could work.
I can see that argument. Do many of the other teams in the region have dads on the staff?
(02-28-2024, 04:29 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 07:32 PM)14th Official Wrote:

I can see that argument. Do many of the other teams in the region have dads on the staff?
I would say every team has at least one
Have seen where some teams are getting scrimmages in. How is the 14th region teams looking? Who has played and who against. I am sure some teams are missing basketball players so may not be a true look but a good idea.
Estill scrimmaged Bath last night. Not sure the score or how they done
(03-05-2024, 12:09 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Estill scrimmaged Bath last night. Not sure the score or how they done
Bath 4 -0 

I think KCC scrimmages tonight against Prestonsburg and Powell may scrimmage Rowan. Outside of those I haven’t heard.
(03-05-2024, 02:30 PM)Bulldog19 Wrote:
(03-05-2024, 12:09 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Estill scrimmaged Bath last night. Not sure the score or how they done
Bath 4 -0 

I think KCC scrimmages tonight against Prestonsburg and Powell may scrimmage Rowan. Outside of those I haven’t heard.

There is one thing I absolutely do not get. Why do teams scrimmage teams that they are already playing in the regular season? That doesn’t make sense to me. 

only thing I can figure out is if they do a home and home with one of them having to be a scrimmage. Other than that I think it’s just dumb to scrimmage someone your already playing in regular season.
(03-05-2024, 02:54 PM)Strikeout King Wrote:
Bath 4 -0 

There is one thing I absolutely do not get. Why do teams scrimmage teams that they are already playing in the regular season? That doesn’t make sense to me. 

only thing I can figure out is if they do a home and home with one of them having to be a scrimmage. Other than that I think it’s just dumb to scrimmage someone your already playing in regular season.
It depends on what you’re wanting to get out of the scrimmage? If you treat it like a regular game then yeah it probably would be pointless. Baseball scrimmages are a lot different than other sports. Nobody is going to throw anyone more than an inning this early in the year. I hope not anyway. If you treat it like it is a more in depth practice then it doesn’t matter who you play.
(03-05-2024, 09:14 PM)14th Official Wrote:
Bath 4 -0 

It depends on what you’re wanting to get out of the scrimmage? If you treat it like a regular game then yeah it probably would be pointless. Baseball scrimmages are a lot different than other sports. Nobody is going to throw anyone more than an inning this early in the year. I hope not anyway. If you treat it like it is a more in depth practice then it doesn’t matter who you play.

all sports in general. Not just baseball. Seems pointless to me to show a team what you have when your playing them in a regular season game
(03-05-2024, 09:44 PM)Strikeout King Wrote:
(03-05-2024, 09:14 PM)14th Official Wrote:
Bath 4 -0 

all sports in general. Not just baseball. Seems pointless to me to show a team what you have when your playing them in a regular season game
They already know what you have and there aren’t any plays or anything you’re going to show anyone in a scrimmage. You’re obviously not throwing anyone more than an inning or 2 this early. I agree with you on the other sports because you have an offensive scheme and a defensive scheme with plays involved. So yeah that would be stupid to me. I just don’t think it matters in baseball. The majority of schools don’t even scrimmage.
1.  Breathitt
2.  Wolfe
3.  Knott
4.  Estill
5.  Hazard

Looks to be about exact at this early point in season no one showing a lot right now 
Bellamy is a key for Breathitt kid can shove it 
1 Breathitt
2 Wolfe
3 Powell
4 Knott
5 Estill
(03-18-2024, 11:33 PM)TopSportsFan23 Wrote: 1.  Breathitt
2.  Wolfe
3.  Knott
4.  Estill
5.  Hazard

Looks to be about exact at this early point in season no one showing a lot right now 

Where is Powell since they beat Knott 11-6?
(03-19-2024, 11:45 AM)stoicbaseball Wrote:
2.  Wolfe
3.  Knott
4.  Estill
5.  Hazard

Agreed. But if Knott is a top 3 team in the region then the 14th is in real bad shape.
(03-19-2024, 01:44 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 11:45 AM)stoicbaseball Wrote:
2.  Wolfe
3.  Knott
4.  Estill
5.  Hazard

Agreed. But if Knott is a top 3 team in the region then the 14th is in real bad shape.
Next couple of game for Knott will let us know a lot about them as they play Hazard and Clay.