Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
16th Region preview
(11-18-2023, 10:34 PM)BSpicerTV Wrote: I think it all starts and ends with Ashland, obviously. East Carter is my sleeper in the region. Not saying that they will win the region or anything, but they certainly can give teams fits on that stage with their experience.
Just came across this. By saying East Carter is your sleeper were you saying that they were going to sleep through games?  They are really struggling but really missing quality players to run with top half. It appeared to me the big kid that they lost last year due to graduation was the key to them. That kid was Boyd's kryptonite. Long season, maybe they become competitive team by end of year, but any chance of a run seems slim.

It's murky at the top, I think much murkier than some think in my opinion. It's obviously not just Ashland.
The Ashland team I saw will beat the brakes off Boyd and others in that Region. Boyd has some good players and on paper it looks like a good game but they were flat out beaten by Pike Central and smacked by Pikeville last week. Pikeville had just lost by 25 to Ashland and while the Panthers are improving and played a terrible second half that game against the Tomcats, Ashland looked to be far superior than Boyd at this point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
(12-25-2023, 01:08 PM)Belichick Wrote: The Ashland team I saw will beat the brakes off Boyd and others in that Region. Boyd has some good players and on paper it looks like a good game but they were flat out beaten by Pike Central and smacked by Pikeville last week.  Pikeville had just lost by 25 to Ashland and while the Panthers are improving and played a terrible second half that game against the Tomcats, Ashland looked to be far superior than Boyd at this point.

I've seen all top teams play and I really don't see any team that is a definite region champ.  I've seen 4 teams look really good from time to time but none that look good consistently and that list includes Boyd, Ashland, Rowan, and Morgan. At the same time, I've seen all four teams play down to the level that any of the other 3 teams would beat them.
(11-14-2023, 01:12 PM)TribeTime Wrote: For Fleming, rumor is Lucas Jolly may miss most if not all of the season. That could hurt their chances. For Bath, they have 3 transfers who are definite region changers but nobody knows if they are eligible.

Morgan is going to be a nightmare for everyone if they’re hitting shots.
Morgan is playing really well right now!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gladiator Man's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
(12-25-2023, 02:02 PM)Gladiator Man Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 01:12 PM)TribeTime Wrote: For Fleming, rumor is Lucas Jolly may miss most if not all of the season. That could hurt their chances. For Bath, they have 3 transfers who are definite region changers but nobody knows if they are eligible.

I have seen a couple of basement dwellers have Fleming County in that mix this week. Can someone share with me what they have done to convince them of being there?
(12-28-2023, 03:54 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:

I have seen a couple of basement dwellers have Fleming County in that mix this week. Can someone share with me what they have done to convince them of being there?

Fleming is 9-2, schedule weak or not that's a pretty good start. Buddy Biggs is a good coach too.
(12-28-2023, 03:31 PM)Fanman Wrote:

Fleming is 9-2, schedule weak or not that's a pretty good start. Buddy Biggs is a good coach too.
When determining best teams how can you not consider who teams have beaten and who has beaten them. That is the biggest and probably only criteria that can be used during season. Name of coach doesnt mean anything just like names of players don’t. It’s all about how you play on the court.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SocratesKy's post:
  • Ky1976
(12-29-2023, 03:21 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 03:31 PM)Fanman Wrote:

When determining best teams how can you not consider who teams have beaten and who has beaten them. That is the biggest and probably only criteria that can be used during season. Name of coach doesnt mean anything just like names of players don’t. It’s all about how you play on the court.

I understand what you're saying, but I have seen them as well as almost all the other 16th teams play this season, and I'd put them ahead of all of the other 16th teams personally, besides Boyd and Ashland. Morgan may be right there with them.
The Tomcats just went 4-2 through a brutal holiday schedule. They played regional contenders from across the state. To win the region this year, you will still have to go through Paul Blazer HS. This team is very good with hands down one of the best players in the state of KY. Battle tested and if healthy will repeat again this year.
(12-31-2023, 10:49 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: The Tomcats just went 4-2 through a brutal holiday schedule.  They played regional contenders from across the state.  To win the region this year, you will still have to go through Paul Blazer HS.  This team is very good with hands down one of the best players in the state of KY.  Battle tested and if healthy will repeat again this year.
Yes they are tough but in my opinion there are 3-4 teams that could win on any night. Zander Carter is really good. Ashland, Boyd, Morgan, and maybe Rowan but I’m not sold on them just yet.  I know Morgan went 2-1 in AIT but did not see them play but plan on watching on mytown. That seemed pretty good for AIT but if anybody has some honest  not homer insight that saw them that would be greatly appreciated. Ashland looked good in championship game. I’ve seen Ashland look not so good in spurts throughout the season as well.
(01-01-2024, 04:28 PM)SocratesKy Wrote: Yes they are tough but in my opinion there are 3-4 teams that could win on any night. Zander Carter is really good. Ashland, Boyd, Morgan, and maybe Rowan but I’m not sold on them just yet.  I know Morgan went 2-1 in AIT but did not see them play but plan on watching on mytown. That seemed pretty good for AIT but if anybody has some honest  not homer insight that saw them that would be greatly appreciated. Ashland looked good in championship game. I’ve seen Ashland look not so good in spurts throughout the season as well.

Morgan is getting better, seen them about 3 times this year. Was at the game against Martin Co on the last day of the AIT, and they played really well. They are undersized but really play hard, move a LOT, and get after in on D. If the Hoskins kid is shooting it well, they are dangerous. They are very limited on other scorers though in my opinion, so I can't see them hanging with teams that put up a lot of points.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanman's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
I thought Boyd was better until they went to Pikeville and played in a tournament with 3 teams that had less than .500 records. They lost to 2 teams that Ashland beat by 20+. The only true state contending team they have played was in the pre-season and they got beat bad. They play teams that will let them run and shoot to keep a good record and score points. That all looks good on social media but doesn’t prepare them for the post season.
Why they let the dad that recorded Mays on the bench is beyond me??? He will keep their chemistry messed up and will only try to showcase his own. Word on the street is that he is posting fake offers now for his son. They are not on verbalcommits.com. That will crush the kids’s chance of ever playing at a decent school. Coach A should have never allowed that. IMO. Morgan played pretty well in the AIT but them and Rowan would have to catch the Tomcats on the worst night of the season to beat them. IMO Fleming is the #2 team.
(01-01-2024, 10:58 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: I thought Boyd was better until they went to Pikeville and played in a tournament with 3 teams that had less than .500 records.  They lost to 2 teams that Ashland beat by 20+.  The only true state contending team they have played was in the pre-season and they got beat bad.  They play teams that will let them run and shoot to keep a good record and score points.  That all looks good on social media but doesn’t prepare them for the post season. 
Why they let the dad that recorded Mays on the bench is beyond me???  He will keep their chemistry messed up and will only try to showcase his own.  Word on the street is that he is posting fake offers now for his son.  They are not on verbalcommits.com.  That will crush the kids’s chance of ever playing at a decent school.  Coach A should have never allowed that. IMO.  Morgan played pretty well in the AIT but them and Rowan would have to catch the Tomcats on the worst night of the season to beat them.  IMO Fleming is the #2 
Not sure how that is even possible in today's world without being caught up in it. And just bc its not on that specific website, does that mean its not true?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanman's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
(01-01-2024, 11:14 PM)Fanman Wrote:
(01-01-2024, 10:58 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: I thought Boyd was better until they went to Pikeville and played in a tournament with 3 teams that had less than .500 records.  They lost to 2 teams that Ashland beat by 20+.  The only true state contending team they have played was in the pre-season and they got beat bad.  They play teams that will let them run and shoot to keep a good record and score points.  That all looks good on social media but doesn’t prepare them for the post season. 
Why they let the dad that recorded Mays on the bench is beyond me???  He will keep their chemistry messed up and will only try to showcase his own.  Word on the street is that he is posting fake offers now for his son.  They are not on verbalcommits.com.  That will crush the kids’s chance of ever playing at a decent school.  Coach A should have never allowed that. IMO.  Morgan played pretty well in the AIT but them and Rowan would have to catch the Tomcats on the worst night of the season to beat them.  IMO Fleming is the #2 
Not sure how that is even possible in today's world without being caught up in it. And just bc its not on that specific website, does that mean its not true?
If someone is offered, it is on there.  Almost within hours. That is how all D1/D2 offers are tracked.  If it is true, it is a shame for the kid.  It would only be hurting the boy.
(01-01-2024, 04:35 PM)Fanman Wrote:
(01-01-2024, 04:28 PM)SocratesKy Wrote: Yes they are tough but in my opinion there are 3-4 teams that could win on any night. Zander Carter is really good. Ashland, Boyd, Morgan, and maybe Rowan but I’m not sold on them just yet.  I know Morgan went 2-1 in AIT but did not see them play but plan on watching on mytown. That seemed pretty good for AIT but if anybody has some honest  not homer insight that saw them that would be greatly appreciated. Ashland looked good in championship game. I’ve seen Ashland look not so good in spurts throughout the season as well.

Morgan is getting better, seen them about 3 times this year. Was at the game against Martin Co on the last day of the AIT, and they played really well. They are undersized but really play hard, move a LOT, and get after in on D. If the Hoskins kid is shooting it well, they are dangerous. They are very limited on other scorers though in my opinion, so I can't see them hanging with teams that put up a lot of points.

I think it is clear that Ashland is thin on scoring options, struggle rebounding the ball, shooting is inconsistent but do have a good shooter, are well coached, move the ball well, take care of the ball, and play very good defense.  6 players are fundamentally sound which is saying a lot in 16th region. Without a doubt Ashland's MVP is a great facilitator that puts things on his shoulders when needed. He alone makes up for a lot of deficiencies but is only one person in a team sport. Ashland is very good but have some serious holes that haven't been there the last couple of years. Good FT shooting team.

Boyd is an offensive machine that has plenty of options to score the ball. Perimeter shooting is potentially as good as any team in the state, and not because of just one player who is a phenomenal shooter. Although the talent is there offensively, shot selection is questionable at times showing that they are undisciplined on that end of the floor. Defense is sketchy at times usually due to matchups but can create a number of turnovers depending on the matchup. Good rebounding team. This big kid can't shoot but is in my opinion their x factor. Good FT shooting team. Can pull from the bench without a significant drop off in production.

Morgan from what I have seen is a mix of penetration and perimeter shooting. Perimeter shooting is sketchy at best by majority of team but have one shooter that in my opinion is on par with any other shooter in region. If I recall, there is another shooter on the team as well that has to be respected. The rest are poor shooters but are very quick and strong penetrators with the ball. Decision making and getting out of control on offense are the question marks from me. Undersized but somehow play great defensively and rebound beyond their size which tells me they play extremely hard. Limited people to give ball to in close games to make free throws.

Rowan has a smart point guard that controls the game, in my opinion not a take over the game scorer, but a good facilitator. They also have a very well rounded scorer.  Then they also have a solid but offensive player with a little size. The 4th and 5th options are not an offensive factor.  In my opinion they are a guardable team all around on offense which is different than the three above. Defense is very good but a couple of spots can develop into mismatches for opposing teams. PG seems to be a really good on ball defender. Not a great rebounding team but I would not call them short in size. If this team gets hot behind arc with more than one player then problems arise for opposing teams. To me that is when they could beat the teams listed above. Excellent shooting from the line.

Depth is a problem for all teams listed above except for Boyd.  All of these teams can get up and down the floor.

This is why I feel any of those teams could beat any of the others on a given night.  I'm not sure that any other team has the personnel to do the same.  Again that is my opinion but I have been fortunate to watch lots of 14th, 15th, and, 16th region teams play this year.
  • Fanman
We will see who will be number 1 in the 16th a week from today when Boyd and Ashland will play each other. I think I would give Ashland a slight nod now going into 2024 we will see if I still feel that way next Wednesday morning.

Here are the rankings for the 16th Region from the Massey Ratings

16th Region: 1. Ashland, 2. Boyd Co., 3. Morgan Co., 4. Rowan Co., 5. Fleming Co.

6. Russell, 7. East Carter, 8. Lewis Co., 9. Greenup Co., 10. Raceland

Strength of Schedule is a significant part of Massey's formula. In looking at Ashland and Boyd currently Ashland has the 36th toughest (SOS) as compared to Boyd having the 74th (SOS).
(01-02-2024, 12:50 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: We will see who will be number 1 in the 16th a week from today when Boyd and Ashland will play each other. I think I would give Ashland a slight nod now going into 2024 we will see if I still feel that way next Wednesday morning.

Here are the rankings for the 16th Region from the Massey Ratings

16th Region: 1. Ashland, 2. Boyd Co., 3. Morgan Co., 4. Rowan Co., 5. Fleming Co.

6. Russell, 7. East Carter, 8. Lewis Co., 9. Greenup Co., 10. Raceland

Strength of Schedule is a significant part of Massey's formula. In looking at Ashland and Boyd currently Ashland has the 36th toughest (SOS) as compared to Boyd having the 74th (SOS).
Hard to argue against that ranking. All I’m saying is there are 4 legit teams that stand a chance to win the region this year. I do think the gap between those 4 is small.
  • 16BBall Fan
I get crap for saying it but lots of teams don't play competition it's that simple you think these coaches want to go and get beat? No of course not they want wins and want to run up the scoreboard and end the season with a 28-4 record. I've been around this for too long that's what most coaches do plain and simple.
[-] The following 2 users Like predict_proba's post:
  • Appalachian Cat, Ky1976
Why they let the dad that recorded Mays on the bench is beyond me???  He will keep their chemistry messed up and will only try to showcase his own.  Word on the street is that he is posting fake offers now for his son.  They are not on verbalcommits.com.  That will crush the kids’s chance of ever playing at a decent school.  Coach A should have never allowed that. IMO.  Morgan played pretty well in the AIT but them and Rowan would have to catch the Tomcats on the worst night of the season to beat them.  IMO Fleming is the #2 team.
It is rumored that the dad will not be on the bench as a coach when Boyd visits Ashland on Jan 9. This is due to his actions following the Ashland win over Boyd in the regional tournament last year. I heard he is not allowed in Anderson gym.
(01-05-2024, 09:28 AM)16thfan Wrote:
Why they let the dad that recorded Mays on the bench is beyond me???  He will keep their chemistry messed up and will only try to showcase his own.  Word on the street is that he is posting fake offers now for his son.  They are not on verbalcommits.com.  That will crush the kids’s chance of ever playing at a decent school.  Coach A should have never allowed that. IMO.  Morgan played pretty well in the AIT but them and Rowan would have to catch the Tomcats on the worst night of the season to beat them.  IMO Fleming is the #2 team.
It is rumored that the dad will not be on the bench as a coach when Boyd visits Ashland on Jan 9. This is due to his actions following the Ashland win over Boyd in the regional tournament last year. I heard he is not allowed in Anderson gym.

This is true. Such an embarrassment that Boyd lets him "coach" in the first place.
(01-05-2024, 10:01 PM)Fanman Wrote:

This is true. Such an embarrassment that Boyd lets him "coach" in the first place.
Agree 100%.  Boyd’s HC and AD lost all credibility letting this guy bully them to get on the bench!  This is a recipe for disaster.  Only a matter of time.
The Cantrell Rankings were released today and have Ashland rated 2.2 points ahead of Boyd Co. currently.
(01-02-2024, 02:49 PM)predict_proba Wrote: I get crap for saying it but lots of teams don't play competition it's that simple you think these coaches want to go and get beat?  No of course not they want wins and want to run up the scoreboard and end the season with a 28-4 record.  I've been around this for too long that's what most coaches do plain and simple.
And most teams will not play defense and will be prepare like an ashland team. Ashland hands down will be the most prepared team in the region. Boyd is a train wreck hiring the dad. And this guy tried to alone with another dad get Coach A fired.  lol You can’t make this stuff up.

(01-07-2024, 12:12 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(01-05-2024, 10:01 PM)Fanman Wrote:

Agree 100%.  Boyd’s HC and AD lost all credibility letting this guy bully them to get on the bench!  This is a recipe for disaster.  Only a matter of time.
He went after Coach A with another dad first.  Let that sink in.  I guess the old saying is keep your friends close and your enemies closer sure holds true in this one.
1. Ashland
2. Boyd County
3. Morgan County
4. Fleming County
5. Rowan County
(01-09-2024, 07:41 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: 1. Ashland
2.  Boyd County
3. Morgan County
4. Fleming County
5. Rowan County
For me, I flip Fleming and Rowan. I’ve heard a couple of people from Fleming mention them as potential favorites. What have they done?  Maybe I’m missing something so if I am please tell explain to me.  Thanks!
All-A Championship Thursday.

Raceland vs. Menifee
(01-09-2024, 11:58 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:
2.  Boyd County
3. Morgan County
4. Fleming County
5. Rowan County
For me, I flip Fleming and Rowan. I’ve heard a couple of people from Fleming mention them as potential favorites. What have they done?  Maybe I’m missing something so if I am please tell explain to me.  Thanks!

You ready to change your opinion on Fleming now? They have advanced to the finals of the 2A state tourney, with a 12-4 record.
(01-14-2024, 01:10 AM)Fanman Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 11:58 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:
2.  Boyd County
3. Morgan County
4. Fleming County
5. Rowan County

You ready to change your opinion on Fleming now? They have advanced to the finals of the 2A state tourney, with a 12-4 record.
I saw no reason to put them in the top group earlier because they had not proven anything, it was all self generated hype.  Fleming returned starters from a quality team last year, but what did they accomplish in terms of significance - won a weak district and got blown out by a team that wasn't a regional contender? Lately, they did beat a solid Desales team which gives them more credibility. Good win! Put them on the radar but no still not in the top tier but took a step forward. If you care to break down why you think they should? I'm a huge fan of small schools like Fleming County but I am not going to anoint them as top tier just because I like them. They do actually play teams over the next few weeks that give them the opportunity to improve their standing in Rowan x2, Ashland, Boyd, and Mason (if all their players are playing).  That's great if they pull the wins out and show they are contenders, and they proved it!