Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Belfry (OPEN)
I heard from a good source that they were hiring Chris Dump Slone from Letcher County. Complete basketball coaching guru.
anyone else hearing mark thompson is getting the job back???
(04-01-2024, 01:28 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: anyone else hearing mark thompson is getting the job back???
April Fools
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Khalisimo
(03-25-2024, 06:34 AM)FanoftheBasketball Wrote:
(03-12-2024, 07:57 AM)TribeTime Wrote: I’d call Bart Williams. From the area and has had great success.

I think Bart is done for good but maybe a few years off he’s getting the itch again.
What success has Bart had exactly? He coached 20+ years with 0 championships. Great guy, but wouldn’t call his tenure a success.
(04-03-2024, 09:04 AM)TRex34 Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 06:34 AM)FanoftheBasketball Wrote:
(03-12-2024, 07:57 AM)TribeTime Wrote: I’d call Bart Williams. From the area and has had great success.

I think Bart is done for good but maybe a few years off he’s getting the itch again.
What success has Bart had exactly? He coached 20+ years with 0 championships. Great guy, but wouldn’t call his tenure a success.
Add Steve Silvers to the staff and the sky is limit on Pond Creek!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Don's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999
East Ridge has a coach
Shelby Valley has a coach

Any word if Belfry is close and who is in the running
(04-11-2024, 08:40 PM)Truewords Wrote: East Ridge has a coach
Shelby Valley has a coach

Any word if Belfry is close and who is in the running

I predict something tomorrow so they can make the decision and then be off on spring break the following week.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Whoever is on the selection committee must be struggling. Shouldn’t take this long to make a hire esp with only 10 applicants. This will end up being an embarrassing hire and the downfall of Belfry will continue.
Bobby Varney
Brett Charles
Derrick Newsome
Kevin Deskins
Sleeper: Jim Hicks
(04-12-2024, 12:41 PM)TheDick's-n-Karl's Wrote: Bobby Varney
Brett Charles
Derrick Newsome
Kevin Deskins

That is a very interesting and diverse list if true
Brett Charles
Derrick Newsome
Kevin Deskins

I don't see Jim Hicks wanting this job, but I've been wrong plenty of times before
(04-12-2024, 02:02 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:
Brett Charles
Derrick Newsome
Kevin Deskins

I don't see Jim Hicks wanting this job, but I've been wrong plenty of times before
I don't think Hicks's end game is to coach girls' basketball. What male high school coach looks out to be a girls coach anymore? Getting a "recruiter" like Jim could really bring Belfry basketball back to competing.
Belfry danged if they do danged if they don’t. Bring in a recruiter for basketball kids run off your multisport kids. Go with a guy that keeps the multisport kids, are they good enough to win more than 15 ballgames?
It's time to hire BOBBY VARNEY
GIVE THE MAN A CHANCE. HE IS HOME GROWN.
(04-14-2024, 11:43 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: It's time to hire BOBBY VARNEY
GIVE THE MAN A CHANCE. HE IS HOME GROWN.
What’s worst that could happen. Lose bunch of games?  Kids transfer out?  Wait this is already happening. Give him few years see what happens.
Belfry struggles with Basketball talent, may have only had one kid that would play on any other team, better go with an outsider, Bobby Varney would be my 2nd option, not a bad option but tough for someone to Coach that has kids involved, didn’t they learn that from past hire.
Any updates here?
(03-21-2024, 02:06 PM)ECU_2010 Wrote: If you really want to know who’s getting the job just ask the assistant coaches son, Hagy’s nephew. He’s the boy that announces at Belfry basketball games and is a teacher at the school.

I heard today they've found their person, and the search is finally over. Just going through the motions now.
(04-18-2024, 08:48 AM)Markelov69 Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 02:06 PM)ECU_2010 Wrote: If you really want to know who’s getting the job just ask the assistant coaches son, Hagy’s nephew. He’s the boy that announces at Belfry basketball games and is a teacher at the school.

I heard today they've found their person, and the search is finally over. Just going through the motions now.
Who’s the lucky candidate?
Jim Hicks
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(04-16-2024, 01:27 PM)TheDick's-n-Karl's Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 10:17 AM)RTruth Wrote: I’ll eat crow from my earlier post

She won’t be at Pikeville.

Why do you say this?

(04-18-2024, 01:58 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Jim Hicks

I’ll say this, I was told the same today and my first response was he will last 1 year, maybe less.

Was also told that Hicks and Newsome both using Belfry as bargaining chips in other jobs. Both telling people they are getting it.
Hicks won’t be the next head coach at Belfry from what I’m told. Saying the will announce next week.
Hearing Robert Amis
What jobs do Newsome and Hicks have to use Belfry as leverage? Not sure that's much to hold over someone's head at this time.
Hearing its Hicks job and will be announced by May 1st.
Makes sense considering the latest posting in JC about Hicks recruiting.
(04-19-2024, 02:28 PM)TheDick's-n-Karl's Wrote: What jobs do Newsome and Hicks have to use Belfry as leverage? Not sure that's much to hold over someone's head at this time.

Hicks recruiting? Care to elaborate? Honestly just curious
Going out a limb and saying no one mentioned in this thread gets it.
(04-19-2024, 04:32 PM)RTruth Wrote: Going out a limb and saying no one mentioned in this thread gets it.

That would be very interesting
#BBFL
(04-19-2024, 04:32 PM)RTruth Wrote: Going out a limb and saying no one mentioned in this thread gets it.

Hoopie Williamson???

(04-19-2024, 02:43 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 02:28 PM)TheDick's-n-Karl's Wrote: What jobs do Newsome and Hicks have to use Belfry as leverage? Not sure that's much to hold over someone's head at this time.

Hicks recruiting? Care to elaborate? Honestly just curious
Some of his current players have posted about him actively recruiting players to come to JC, even mentioned dinners. Just accusations put on other social media.
Jeff “Hoopie” Williamson has already accepted a job in Dodge City, KS.
Gene Hackman from Hoosiers

We going to be running the picket fence