Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Shelby Valley Boy’s Open
(03-22-2024, 01:28 PM)Ice61706 Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 01:18 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote: I think in order to keep what kids are left; you have to rely on Meade. You have 2 incoming players who are gone and one returning starter.
Not sure but I hear the reason the 8th graders were leaving in the first place was because Meade had a spot on the high school bench too. The ones going to Pikeville started their exit in November. They used Coach McCoy to steal JV time from kids that are staying.   With a new coach and the ability to play minutes at SV out of the gate may be enough to keep them. It would be a shame to see them sit for two years at Pikeville to chase a regional championship.  

Maybe someone can confirm or deny that rumor?

Not sure they are just going to chase a championship. I think the 2 8th graders are 3 sport athletes. Considering Valley has a new football coach and now a new basketball coach. Stability means a lot now. Knowing you're playing for the same person for 3-4 years of your high school career.
(03-22-2024, 01:43 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 01:18 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote: I think in order to keep what kids are left; you have to rely on Meade. You have 2 incoming players who are gone and one returning starter.
Not sure but I hear the reason the 8th graders were leaving in the first place was because Meade had a spot on the high school bench too. The ones going to Pikeville started their exit in November. They used Coach McCoy to steal JV time from kids that are staying.   With a new coach and the ability to play minutes at SV out of the gate may be enough to keep them. It would be a shame to see them sit for two years at Pikeville to chase a regional championship.  

Not sure they are just going to chase a championship. I think the 2 8th graders are 3 sport athletes. Considering Valley has a new football coach and now a new basketball coach. Stability means a lot now. Knowing you're playing for the same person for 3-4 years of your high school career.
?. It seems like everything is fluid now and nothing is stable. We are currently talking about the instability of staying in the program you were raised in. So hard to make that argument. If stability is what they are looking for there are other stable schools. They just happened to pick the one with the best chance of winning.
(03-22-2024, 02:20 PM)Ice61706 Wrote:

?. It seems like everything is fluid now and nothing is stable. We are currently talking about the instability of staying in the program you were raised in. So hard to make that argument. If stability is what they are looking for there are other stable schools. They just happened to pick the one with the best chance of winning.

Agree to disagree. But they could also be picking the one that offers the most for their student athletes. 
For example: You are an 8th grader who attends Shelby Valley. Above average athlete and you're wanting to go to a high school who has stability, has high standards, gets athletes noticed and everyone from admins to the players on are the same page. Name me the schools that you can attend. Remember this isn't 10 years ago when we could pack up and move counties because the coal industry was booming. Staying in Pike/ Floyd County, what's your stable options?
(03-22-2024, 02:39 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote:

Agree to disagree. But they could also be picking the one that offers the most for their student athletes. 
For example: You are an 8th grader who attends Shelby Valley. Above average athlete and you're wanting to go to a high school who has stability, has high standards, gets athletes noticed and everyone from admins to the players on are the same page. Name me the schools that you can attend. Remember this isn't 10 years ago when we could pack up and move counties because the coal industry was booming. Staying in Pike/ Floyd County, what's your stable options?

Not a single one in Floyd
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(03-22-2024, 02:52 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 02:39 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 01:28 PM)Ice61706 Wrote: Not sure but I hear the reason the 8th graders were leaving in the first place was because Meade had a spot on the high school bench too. The ones going to Pikeville started their exit in November. They used Coach McCoy to steal JV time from kids that are staying.   With a new coach and the ability to play minutes at SV out of the gate may be enough to keep them. It would be a shame to see them sit for two years at Pikeville to chase a regional championship.  

Not a single one in Floyd
I feel as Floyd is a far stretch for Shelby Valley kids. So, you've basically got Jenkins. Pike Central, Pikeville and East Ridge.
You probably go to Pikeville or JC if you want to play for anything in the 3 major sports now. I know Magoffin won the region in basketball and it was a fun run but that was an exception. There will still be a few exceptions but competing year in and out, those are the 2 schools now.
(03-22-2024, 03:34 PM)Belichick Wrote: You probably go to Pikeville or JC if you want to play for anything in the 3 major sports now. I know Magoffin won the region in basketball and it was a fun run but that was an exception. There will still be a few exceptions but competing year in and out, those are the 2 schools now.

Exactly! But JC is over an hour away. So these 8th graders are now being introduced to their 3rd high school coach since 4th grade. So there is no relationship built before they enter high school.
(03-20-2024, 12:55 AM)Spud6 Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 11:02 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 05:19 PM)Spud6 Wrote: The rumor is Al Holland is coming to the 15th region

Doesn’t his kids live in the Valley community? Would make sense if that’s true. Just don’t see Valley letting a coach go after 1 year unless there is a bigger picture.

His grandkids do. Al Holland Sr. is who I’m talking about. Al Holland Jr. is the BSN representative for all of Pike County.

Hazards coach? He still has a decent group there. I would be surprised if he made a move but would be a great name to get if he wants to be close to his grandkids. Would shake up the 14th for sure.
(03-25-2024, 06:44 AM)FanoftheBasketball Wrote:
(03-20-2024, 12:55 AM)Spud6 Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 11:02 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 05:19 PM)Spud6 Wrote: The rumor is Al Holland is coming to the 15th region

Doesn’t his kids live in the Valley community? Would make sense if that’s true. Just don’t see Valley letting a coach go after 1 year unless there is a bigger picture.

His grandkids do. Al Holland Sr. is who I’m talking about. Al Holland Jr. is the BSN representative for all of Pike County.

Hazards coach? He still has a decent group there. I would be surprised if he made a move but would be a great name to get if he wants to be close to his grandkids. Would shake up the 14th for sure.

Been told he’s building a house in the valley community. Not for the job but to be with his family. Would make sense to take the job if this is the case.
Last year when McCoy was named coach the following coaches applied or contacted the school about the job. Could see some of them putting in for it again. Has the job even been posted?

Winston Lee
Matt Taylor
Ethan Cummings
Derrick Newsome
Kevin Keathley
Any new developments on this job?
Hearing Al Holland but also told Kevin Keathley and he told them he would guarantee 3 players would be added to the roster but also said Someone that ask not to be mentioned is a serious candidate, I think it’s Hollands job to lose
(04-01-2024, 08:48 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Hearing Al Holland but also told Kevin Keathley and he told them he would guarantee 3 players would be added to the roster but also said Someone that ask not to be mentioned is a serious candidate, I think it’s Hollands job to lose
Sounds like coming aboard with a stacked deck! Wonder how the local's will feel about that? I guess everyone can't play for Pikeville!
(04-01-2024, 08:56 PM)Big Don Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 08:48 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Hearing Al Holland but also told Kevin Keathley and he told them he would guarantee 3 players would be added to the roster but also said Someone that ask not to be mentioned is a serious candidate, I think it’s Hollands job to lose
Sounds like coming aboard with a stacked deck! Wonder how the local's will feel about that? I guess everyone can't play for Pikeville!

No they sure can't!
Holland has run his course in the eastern Kentucky. He will win a few games but is it really worth it. That is not what SV needs at this point.
I have heard that they are making their pitch to Justice once again. They'd be crazy not to.
(03-22-2024, 03:34 PM)Belichick Wrote: You probably go to Pikeville or JC if you want to play for anything in the 3 major sports now. I know Magoffin won the region in basketball and it was a fun run but that was an exception. There will still be a few exceptions but competing year in and out, those are the 2 schools now.
LOL!!! What has JC won in the last 5 years? This was the first time they have made the region in basketball since Paintsville beat them in the finals in 2021.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TRex34's post:
  • Belichick
Schools that have good programs always have to worry about other schools trying to poach their coaches or assistants. First it was football and maybe now basketball for Pikeville. For all the hate they get, a lot of places sure want to be like them. Just an observation.
(04-02-2024, 09:33 AM)Belichick Wrote: Schools that have good programs always have to worry about other schools trying to poach their coaches or assistants. First it was football and maybe now basketball for Pikeville. For all the hate they get, a lot of places sure want to be like them. Just an observation.
If it’s true they are making a pitch for Justice I wouldn’t actually consider it poaching. He may have a few ties to Shelby Valley.
The stars aligned for Pikeville to employee him to start with. SV has a rogue administration and Pikeville employeed his high school coach at the time of that hire.
(04-02-2024, 09:06 AM)TRex34 Wrote:
LOL!!! What has JC won in the last 5 years? This was the first time they have made the region in basketball since Paintsville beat them in the finals in 2021.
I’d say they are set up pretty nicely in the 3 major sports for the next several years.

(04-02-2024, 10:40 AM)Ice61706 Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 09:33 AM)Belichick Wrote: Schools that have good programs always have to worry about other schools trying to poach their coaches or assistants. First it was football and maybe now basketball for Pikeville. For all the hate they get, a lot of places sure want to be like them. Just an observation.
If it’s true they are making a pitch for Justice I wouldn’t actually consider it poaching. He may have a few ties to Shelby Valley.
The stars aligned for Pikeville to employee him to start with. SV has a rogue administration and Pikeville employeed his high school coach at the time of that hire.
I get that. Was just making a point about good programs have good coaches and other schools will want them and they should.
If Ratliff stays as head coach at Pike Central, I could definitely see Derrick Newsome showing interest in this job and Shelby Valley making Derrick Newsome their #1 choice. Derrick has been too successful to stay an assistant coach.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Wonder if Valley will try to make an offer at Jordan Perry, I think they gave his dad an offer last year.
(04-03-2024, 10:46 PM)Spud6 Wrote: If Ratliff stays as head coach at Pike Central, I could definitely see Derrick Newsome showing interest in this job and Shelby Valley making Derrick Newsome their #1 choice.  Derrick has been too successful to stay an assistant coach.
In his last coaching position he resigned after 8 kids quit the team. Normally I'd think if a couple of kids quit that it could have been sour grapes for a few kids. But 8 kids walking away sounds like something other than playing time issues. That was half of a roster. Something similar happened at Floyd Central a few years back. With kids already leaving SV, I'm sure they don't need more. They should look elsewhere.
(04-04-2024, 12:30 AM)GeraldDaLoved Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 10:46 PM)Spud6 Wrote: If Ratliff stays as head coach at Pike Central, I could definitely see Derrick Newsome showing interest in this job and Shelby Valley making Derrick Newsome their #1 choice.  Derrick has been too successful to stay an assistant coach.
In his last coaching position he resigned after 8 kids quit the team. Normally I'd think if a couple of kids quit that it could have been sour grapes for a few kids. But 8 kids walking away sounds like something other than playing time issues. That was half of a roster. Something similar happened at Floyd Central a few years back. With kids already leaving SV, I'm sure they don't need more. They should look elsewhere.

The Betsy Layne situation was troubling, though without the media firestorm that happened like it did with Spurlock at Floyd Central. I think if it was something very sinister, the "mama bears" would have had WYMT and the newspapers out on location. 

The Spurlock situation was interesting in the fact some of the kids quit the team a second time after Shawn Hager took over for Spurlock. It was interesting though how the Betsy Layne community as a whole was behind Derrick when he was hired, then all of a sudden they weren't. I think with Kevin Spurlock, the Floyd Central community was largely upset Justin Holbrook didn't get the job and I am sure some of the Allen Central side thought Brad Short should have gotten a shot. 

I would love to know the full story of what happened to Derrick at Betsy Layne. Was it something awful, or was it a case of players not responding to his style of coaching. Which from what I've seen of Mike Howard, he appears to coach hard as well, so it remains a mystery.
(04-04-2024, 11:14 AM)P. Fanning Wrote:

The Betsy Layne situation was troubling, though without the media firestorm that happened like it did with Spurlock at Floyd Central. I think if it was something very sinister, the "mama bears" would have had WYMT and the newspapers out on location. 

The Spurlock situation was interesting in the fact some of the kids quit the team a second time after Shawn Hager took over for Spurlock. It was interesting though how the Betsy Layne community as a whole was behind Derrick when he was hired, then all of a sudden they weren't. I think with Kevin Spurlock, the Floyd Central community was largely upset Justin Holbrook didn't get the job and I am sure some of the Allen Central side thought Brad Short should have gotten a shot. 

I would love to know the full story of what happened to Derrick at Betsy Layne. Was it something awful, or was it a case of players not responding to his style of coaching. Which from what I've seen of Mike Howard, he appears to coach hard as well, so it remains a mystery.

As a Betsy Layne guy I couldn't even tell you what happened.  I know that he was successful and the kids players hard for him. Playing time was definitely against him, other than that, I don't know how he was inside the team and locker room and how he went in his day to day with his players so I can't talk on that.
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • P. Fanning
(04-04-2024, 11:14 AM)P. Fanning Wrote:

I've heard some from the parents of those kids. I don't believe it was playing time, but more of constant yelling and putting down of players and lack of holding some players accountable for on and off the floor issues. But it's hard to know for sure. Losing half of a team roster speaks that there is some issue. I'm not sure if SV would want to deal with that. He won lots of games though, so who knows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GeraldDaLoved's post:
  • P. Fanning
Derrick was a great coach. He don’t put up with entitlement. I think any school would be lucky to have him.
Shelby Valley is going after quality coaches. If it was an in county hire, they would have already been announced.

Newsome would be a last resort, the situation at BL wasn’t good.
Derrick Newsome
Jordan Perry
Winston Lee
Matthew Taylor
That's the ones being considered.
Idk where that list come from, but idk the list at all so based on that list. 
Perry - was a good player for sure idk about Valley and the wildcats as his first job but everyone has to start somewhere 
Winston - idk if Valley plans on playing KATHEA & Ligon home school 4 times a year along with others but if that’s where the wildcats have let it get to they need to start over 
Taylor - ain’t leaving Letcher didn’t take Harlan years back and didn’t even come interview here so I don’t see him taking over a 4/5 win program shocked to see his name even apply if that is true 
Newsome - won bunch of games years ago idk situation or should I say the truth about BL deal with parents anywhere these days  untelling

Feel like someone high up is fumbling the job for a place that use to be so successful