Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oakland 80 Kentucky 76 (NCAA Tournament First Round)
In terms of NCAA tournament wins/losses, Oakland now has the identical record that Kentucky has for the past 5 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Spud6
did something happen last night?
Kyle Tucker
@KyleTucker_ATH
·
58m
I keep thinking about the Auburn win, and what a fool John Calipari made of himself preening in the postgame.

He’s spent all season salivating over the chance to make critics eat their words. Then he choked. Again.
Trending in Kentucky
#FireCal
1,426 posts
One word, baby:     BOOGIE !

[Image: https://i0.wp.com/www.thedailyhoosier.co...C320&ssl=1]
Matt Jones
@KySportsRadio
·
30m
Here’s my radio show intro from last night:

The situation has become untenable. Kentucky and Calipari need to agree to separate for the good of the program
Martha
@TheMopLady
·
20m
Kentucky having a seat at the “has-been’s” table with Indiana.
OutKick
@Outkick
·
34m
John Calipari kept it classy after Kentucky's humiliating loss to Oakland. He accepted total and sole responsibility.

Just kidding.

He threw his team under the bus. Fans might start calling him Cowardly Cal!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • RunItUpTheGut
(03-22-2024, 08:58 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: In terms of NCAA tournament wins/losses, Oakland now has the identical record that Kentucky has for the past 5 years.

Jack Gohlke(who?) outperformed London's Golden Boy is the more salient point.

Since you folks could use a dose of harsh reality mixed with some brutal honesty, I'm gonna be politically incorrect and speak to you the way all loving fathers around the state should be speaking to their Big Blue fan sons this morning. If you want to be primed for a deep March run, you can't be depending on guys who were raised on stories of Noah's Ark and Lot's wife(she was rather salty , anyways). Those type of kids might lead you to a revival meeting but not to a Final Four.

If you want to see a Final Four again, give Cal your blessing to go out aand recruit players who are just one misstep from a prison sentence. Antoine Walker and Boogie Cousins were pretty good when it mattered moat, weren't they? This team needed toughness and some nastiness and simply didn't have it to be a juggernaut like Oakland.
Barstool Gambling

@stoolgambling
·
17m
A $100 bettor would be up $1,760 the last 3 tournaments fading Kentucky on the Moneyline
Chris Fisher
@ChrisFisher247
·
34m
It didn't cost $33 million, but Tubby Smith got ran out of town for a lot less. But then again, Kentucky's standards were a lot higher then.

There were fans *bracing themselves* for a first round loss to Oakland. Just stop and think about that for a moment.
Message Board Geniuses
@BoardGeniuses
·
43m
Maybe #Louisville is dumb enough to take Cal off of #Kentucky’s hands.
Jim Kessler
@realJMKessler
·
1m
Replying to
@EyewearMan

@aahainley
and
@KySportsRadio
It costs 34 million to fire him. Kentucky makes more than that off ice cream cones.

Texas A & M paid 77 million last year to fire Jimbo Fisher.

Kentucky can afford it, trust me.

They can't afford NOT to fire him. The fanbase is over him. They'll lose revenue.
(03-22-2024, 10:59 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 08:58 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: In terms of NCAA tournament wins/losses, Oakland now has the identical record that Kentucky has for the past 5 years.

Jack Gohlke(who?) outperformed London's Golden Boy is the more salient point.

Since you folks could use a dose of harsh reality mixed with some brutal honesty, I'm gonna be politically incorrect and speak to you the way all loving fathers around the state should be speaking to their Big Blue fan sons this morning. If you want to be primed for a deep March run, you can't be depending on guys who were raised on stories of Noah's Ark and Lot's wife(she was rather salty , anyways). Those type of kids might lead you to a revival meeting but not to a Final Four.

If you want to see a Final Four again, give Cal your blessing to go out aand recruit players who are just one misstep from a prison sentence. Antoine Walker and Boogie Cousins were pretty good when it mattered moat, weren't they? This team needed toughness and some nastiness and simply didn't have it to be a juggernaut like Oakland.

I love you man, but this is your worst take ever. What we need is someone that is not too stubborn to adapt to the changing ways of college basketball. Cal wants to win, I’m sure, but he wants to win his way only. That’s just not gonna cut it. The only two guys who showed up last night were Reeves and Mitchell. Our old transfer guys. That’s the new normal in college hoops. NIL has basically created an open free agent market, so no matter how many McDonald’s All-Americans you have on your roster, you’d better have some grizzled veterans to lead the way. Thugs or saints, it doesn’t matter. (And by the way, Reed’s mom would poke your eyes out on the basketball floor if that’s what it took to win, in case you were throwing a little shade his way.)
(03-22-2024, 11:52 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Jim Kessler
@realJMKessler
·
1m
Replying to
@EyewearMan

@aahainley
and
@KySportsRadio
It costs 34 million to fire him. Kentucky makes more than that off ice cream cones.

Texas A & M paid 77 million last year to fire Jimbo Fisher.

Kentucky can afford it, trust me.

They can't afford NOT to fire him. The fanbase is over him. They'll lose revenue.

No, they absolutely will NOT.

The Jetpilots and Granny Bears will be all in again next year. Hope spring eternal. And the Plant Guys Run it up your Gut's will be hoping for more losses so the can chime in with their Fire Cal schticks. They secretly want Cal to stay because their stale act ends when Cal leaves.
$7 from every citizen in the state of Kentucky and we can help fire him. I'll double my $7 and make it 14 in case someone doesn't have the $7 dollars. Let's fin dout what it'll cost to make it a package deal and fire Barnhart with him.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • jetpilot
Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz
@LeBatardShow
·
28m
“No one wants him.”

-
@Stugotz790
on John Calipari 2/26/24?
UNDISPUTED

@undisputed
·
1h
“It’s time for a change.”

@RealSkipBayless
calls for Kentucky to move on from John Calipari
Chris Fisher
@ChrisFisher247
·
11h
Here's the bottom line:

Since 2019, John Calipari has had younger teams, older teams, freshmen, transfers, the national player of the year, the national freshman of the year, post teams and perimeter teams.

The results just haven't been nearly good enough. Not even close.
Last 10 postseason games Calipari is 2-8 and favored in all 10.
First Take

@FirstTake
·
56m
@stephenasmith
believes John Calipari has underachieved at Kentucky:

"At some point in time, you're at the University of Kentucky, it comes with a different standard."
Stephen A. said Cal has gone soft, won’t do what it takes to win. Jay Bilas said UK was ‘woefully unprepared’ for a dangerous opponent. I realize their opinions are no more valid than yours or mine, but a whole lot more people hear what they have to say. This situation is broken at UK. A whole lot of people won’t be back in next year if there aren’t some changes. Because why listen to the ‘we’re young, wait til March’ crap all year, then find out March is more like April Fool’s. 2-8 in our last ten tournament games (SEC and NCAA). 2-8! And we were favored in all ten! What’s wrong with this picture?
(03-22-2024, 12:20 PM)Spud6 Wrote: $7 from every citizen in the state of Kentucky and we can help fire him.  I'll double my $7 and make it 14 in case someone doesn't have the $7 dollars. Let's fin dout what it'll cost to make it a package deal and fire Barnhart with him.

President Capilouto loves Cal. Made him him to a "promise" clause in his contract , in which Cal promised to remain an ambassador to the university after he retires. Money is not an issue.  Capilouto's love of Cal is , however.

(03-22-2024, 12:30 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Stephen A. said Cal has gone soft, won’t do what it takes to win. Jay Bilas said UK was ‘woefully unprepared’ for a dangerous opponent. I realize their opinions are no more valid than yours or mine, but a whole lot more people hear what they have to say.  This situation is broken at UK. A whole lot of people won’t be back in next year if there aren’t some changes. Because why listen to the ‘we’re young, wait til March’ crap all year, then find out March is more like April Fool’s. 2-8 in our last ten tournament games (SEC and NCAA). 2-8! And we were favored in all ten! What’s wrong with this picture?

I respectfully disagree.  Will you be back again next year? Will I?  Yes and Yes.  Granny Bear and Jet, as well. A lot of people who saythey are done will be back, come November. No one is going anywhere.
I know it's difficult for you, OSH, to admit that you're incorrect, but this time you are.  The Granny Bears will NOT be back in fans of the BBN until something significant is done about our problem.  I didn't even watch yesterday's fiasco and I'm thankful that I didn't.

I'm not sure what has happened in your life to make you so insecure about people who believe in God.  To mix that statement, "If you want to be primed for a deep March run, you can't be depending on guys who were raised on stories of Noah's Ark and Lot's wife(she was rather salty , anyways). Those type of kids might lead you to a revival meeting but not to a Final Four." in with your post makes no sense to me at all.

Now you've asked what exactly Cal did to deserve this hostility.

1-He's not an x & o coach on the bench, relies on his assistants
2-He's not concerned with the heritage of Kentucky basketball, which by the way is paying his millions.  He's much more interested in getting individuals to the pros, whether or not they're ready
3-He does not prepare, not does he have his assistants prepare, our team for the upcoming games.  Case in point, UK vs Oakland
4-He recruits well, but is now saying he will no longer recruit Freshman because our team at an average age of 20 just had to play a team that averages an age of 24-25.  So #4 is that he makes excuses and makes senseless statements like this one.
5-He takes NO accountability.  None.  Nada.  Zero.  Everything else and everybody else is at fault, but not the Coach.

If the Coach has no accountability, what the hell are we paying him millions of dollars for?  He certainly takes the credit for victories!!

And I'm NOT alone in my opinion!!

USA Today
It’s time for college basketball’s premier program and the sport's most underachieving coach to go their separate ways and do something different.

The Athletic
The question Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart must now answer is as simple as it is complicated: What is the price of the program’s dignity? What’s it worth to expel a Hall of Fame coach who can neither recapture the magic nor ever offer even a coherent theory as to why?

Courier Journal
While coaches of Calipari’s stature and pedigree don’t often get fired, even from a program as storied and demanding as Kentucky, the Wildcats’ postseason struggles have at least prompted fans to angrily wonder whether a change at the helm of the program is necessary.

Wildcat Blue Nation
When Kentucky got sent to Pittsburgh as the No. 3 seed in the South Region, it was a homecoming for John Calipari, Adou Thiero, and Tre Mitchell, but after the Oakland Golden Grizzlies upset the Wildcats 80-76, Big Blue Nation would prefer that Coach Cal stays home for good.

There's a ton more, but it would do no good to list any more.  I doubt you will even read them, let alone take them seriously.

Now, my point......

I've answered YOUR question to the very best of my ability.  Now I would appreciate if you would reciprocate.

Tell me. 
1-What has Cal done right?
2-What has Cal done wrong?
3-When has Cal accepted responsibility for anything negative without throwing our kids under the damn bus first?
4-ANY areas you think Cal should improve?

Now Cal wants to recruit post grads to play.  Hopefully he won't take your suggestions to look toward those who are one step out of prison.
[-] The following 5 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Cactus Jack, jetpilot, pjdoug, RunItUpTheGut, Van Hagar
I won’t be back either without changes. I just won’t. I probably wouldn’t have this year except for being curious as to how Reed Sheppard would perform. I will not subject myself to more of this, it’s just not worth my time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Granny Bear
(03-22-2024, 01:45 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I won’t be back either without changes. I just won’t. I probably wouldn’t have this year except for being curious as to how Reed Sheppard would perform. I will not subject myself to more of this, it’s just not worth my time.

It bothers me how much if affects everything about my day and my mood. I wish i was like my life and just say, "I hope both teams just have fun!"
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(03-22-2024, 12:56 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I know it's difficult for you, OSH, to admit that you're incorrect, but this time you are.  The Granny Bears will NOT be back in fans of the BBN until something significant is done about our problem.  I didn't even watch yesterday's fiasco and I'm thankful that I didn't.

I'm not sure what has happened in your life to make you so insecure about people who believe in God.  To mix that statement, "If you want to be primed for a deep March run, you can't be depending on guys who were raised on stories of Noah's Ark and Lot's wife(she was rather salty , anyways). Those type of kids might lead you to a revival meeting but not to a Final Four." in with your post makes no sense to me at all.

Now you've asked what exactly Cal did to deserve this hostility.

1-He's not an x & o coach on the bench, relies on his assistants
2-He's not concerned with the heritage of Kentucky basketball, which by the way is paying his millions.  He's much more interested in getting individuals to the pros, whether or not they're ready
3-He does not prepare, not does he have his assistants prepare, our team for the upcoming games.  Case in point, UK vs Oakland
4-He recruits well, but is now saying he will no longer recruit Freshman because our team at an average age of 20 just had to play a team that averages an age of 24-25.  So #4 is that he makes excuses and makes senseless statements like this one.
5-He takes NO accountability.  None.  Nada.  Zero.  Everything else and everybody else is at fault, but not the Coach.

If the Coach has no accountability, what the hell are we paying him millions of dollars for?  He certainly takes the credit for victories!!

And I'm NOT alone in my opinion!!

USA Today
It’s time for college basketball’s premier program and the sport's most underachieving coach to go their separate ways and do something different.

The Athletic
The question Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart must now answer is as simple as it is complicated: What is the price of the program’s dignity? What’s it worth to expel a Hall of Fame coach who can neither recapture the magic nor ever offer even a coherent theory as to why?

Courier Journal
While coaches of Calipari’s stature and pedigree don’t often get fired, even from a program as storied and demanding as Kentucky, the Wildcats’ postseason struggles have at least prompted fans to angrily wonder whether a change at the helm of the program is necessary.

Wildcat Blue Nation
When Kentucky got sent to Pittsburgh as the No. 3 seed in the South Region, it was a homecoming for John Calipari, Adou Thiero, and Tre Mitchell, but after the Oakland Golden Grizzlies upset the Wildcats 80-76, Big Blue Nation would prefer that Coach Cal stays home for good.

There's a ton more, but it would do no good to list any more.  I doubt you will even read them, let alone take them seriously.

Now, my point......

I've answered YOUR question to the very best of my ability.  Now I would appreciate if you would reciprocate.

Tell me. 
1-What has Cal done right?
2-What has Cal done wrong?
3-When has Cal accepted responsibility for anything negative without throwing our kids under the damn bus first?
4-ANY areas you think Cal should improve?

Now Cal wants to recruit post grads to play.  Hopefully he won't take your suggestions to look toward those who are one step out of prison.

There are so many inaccuracies in those five points that I barely no where to begin.

1.  If Cal is no  x's and o's coach who just relies on his assistants to coach, then I guess it's his assistants , and not Cal, who is to blame for last night's debacle. Fact is, they lost, not because of x's and o's, but because the young kids played tight and scared from the outset, despite the coach doing everything he could prior to the game to get them loosened up.

2. Just an absolute falsehood.  You obviously don't listen to his radio shows. Cal has indicated ad nauseum the respect he has for KY basketball heritage. Time and time again he has brought back former players who were an important part of UK's past.  He embraced Coach Hall, who became a dear friend of Cal's right up until his death. There is not a single show that he does that he does not state that BBN fans are the best fans in the world. Does he care about the kids he coaches and want them to realize their dreams at the next level and achieve a measure of financial security? Of course, he does. Who wouldn't want a man like Cal caring for your child and wanting the best for them? I know I'd want a fine man like that coaching my kid.

3. An insidious misrepresentation, whether  intentional or not.  Are you serious, here?  You really think Cal and his very capable assistants did litttle or no prep work in getting ready for Oakland? No film work, no walk throughs, no teaching of how to attack the zone, no reminders of staying disciplined on defense. I've got news for you- the KY coaches did ALL of these things. I teach kids. Sometimes they listen; sometimes they don't. Sometimes they execute the gameplan and sometimes they fall on their faces in sheer and utter fear of failure and terror of the moment. Reed Sheppard shot the ball five times, and looked like he was terrified to let those go. The game was lost, not because of x's and o's , but because all but two players were terrified of the Big Show.

4. The freshmen played scared and crapped the bed. The two 24 y.o.'s played like the seasoned veterans they were. You want more freshman that will crap the bed in March? Give Cal a break when he tells you what's needed to win in March and you've just seen it right before your eyes.

5.Again, you don't pay attention to what Cal says in his call-in shows. Numerous times I've heard him contemplate decisions that he made and reflect that maybe he made a mistake and might have to do something differently. Is Cal perfect? No, and he has said as much. Is he stubborn? Hell yes, he is. Has he ever said that he is not to be held accuntable for anything that goes wrong? of course not. Like a lot of UK fans right now, you are angry, distraught, and emtional. And like some, you have an inherent bias against arrogant northeasterners. By next November, you and others will have calmed down, gained perspective that life is still good and worth living and will be cheering for our new crop of young superstar "five stars."

(03-22-2024, 02:00 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 01:45 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I won’t be back either without changes. I just won’t. I probably wouldn’t have this year except for being curious as to how Reed Sheppard would perform. I will not subject myself to more of this, it’s just not worth my time.

It bothers me how much if affects everything about my day and my mood. I wish i was like my life and just say, "I hope both teams just have fun!"

And it bothers me that it bothers you. People that say that it's more than a game... well, they need a therapist, or the Universe to give them a real kick in the groin.
It IS more than a game to the true blue.  It's a representation of our heritage and traditions.  So give me a therapist (I could use one right now) AND the first groin kick.

There are so many inaccuracies in those five points that I barely no where to begin.'t.

No there isn't.  Just because YOU don't agree does not make the statement(s) inaccurate!!

1.  If Cal is no  x's and o's coach who just relies on his assistants to coach, then I guess it's his assistants , and not Cal, who is to blame for last night's debacle. Fact is, they lost, not because of x's and o's, but because the young kids played tight and scared from the outset, despite the coach doing everything he could prior to the game to get them loosened up.
When folks are blaming just Cal, HE isn't responsible for the debacles!!  That is according to you.  And you have no idea what prep was given before the game last night.

2. Just an absolute falsehood.  You obviously don't listen to his radio shows. Cal has indicated ad nauseum the respect he has for KY basketball heritage. Time and time again he has brought back former players who were an important part of UK's past.  He embraced Coach Hall, who became a dear friend of Cal's right up until his death. There is not a single show that he does that he does not state that BBN fans are the best fans in the world. Does he care about the kids he coaches and want them to realize their dreams at the next level and achieve a measure of financial security? Of course, he does. Who wouldn't want a man like Cal caring for your child and wanting the best for them? I know I'd want a fine man like that coaching my kid.
It is NOT a falsehood.  Cal is a showman and a damn good performer when addressing his personal agenda.  He would say anything to give the proper appearance.  I doubt he means half what he says.

3. An insidious misrepresentation, whether  intentional or not.  Are you serious, here?  You really think Cal and his very capable assistants did litttle or no prep work in getting ready for Oakland? No film work, no walk throughs, no teaching of how to attack the zone, no reminders of staying disciplined on defense. I've got news for you- the KY coaches did ALL of these things. I teach kids. Sometimes they listen; sometimes they don't. Sometimes they execute the gameplan and sometimes they fall on their faces in sheer and utter fear of failure and terror of the moment. Reed Sheppard shot the ball five times, and looked like he was terrified to let those go. The game was lost, not because of x's and o's , but because all but two players were terrified of the Big Show.
That's complete bullshit!  IF they were terrified, I'd love to know why.  I've seen Dilly and Sheppard go up against many obstacles and they didn't blink an eye.  My family said the same thing about some of them being hesitant to shoot.  Well, I haven't seen that all year.  I wonder WHY they were reluctant.  I'm sure it wasn't anything that Cal did!!  Because he don't do anything.

4. The freshmen played scared and crapped the bed. The two 24 y.o.'s played like the seasoned veterans they were. You want more freshman that will crap the bed in March? Give Cal a break when he tells you what's needed to win in March and you've just seen it right before your eyes.
Those were Cal's recruits NOT mine.  And he doesn't deserve a break that's worth $33M.

5.Again, you don't pay attention to what Cal says in his call-in shows. Numerous times I've heard him contemplate decisions that he made and reflect that maybe he made a mistake and might have to do something differently. Is Cal perfect? No, and he has said as much. Is he stubborn? Hell yes, he is. Has he ever said that he is not to be held accuntable for anything that goes wrong? of course not. Like a lot of UK fans right now, you are angry, distraught, and emtional. And like some, you have an inherent bias against arrogant northeasterners. By next November, you and others will have calmed down, gained perspective that life is still good and worth living and will be cheering for our new crop of young superstar "five stars."
He's never said that he is either.  He just throws the kids under the bus like YOU do all the time.  You don't know me from a can of paint, but you feel comfortable judging me as having an inherent bias against northeasterners.  Hound, you have NO DAMN CLUE about my bias or my thoughts.

And now gentlemen, I will bid you adieu.  Like watching UK ballgames, I am out of this thread.
Hound, if I start watching the ballgames again, I'll give you $5,000.  That's a public promise.
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot, RunItUpTheGut
1. I'm absolutely out unless Cal is gone OR we get to the semifinals of the SEC tournament or Elite 8 in the NCAA tournament - which is unlikely because those would require more postseason wins than Cal has in 5 years.

2. GB's posts 100% on the money with FACTS was epic takedown of OSH and his weak sauce attempts at replies read like something from a 5th grader. Literally NO ONE IN THE COUNTRY buys ANY of his "arguments"

3. From now on whenever I feel like skipping church on a Sunday morning I will think of OSH and get my ass up and go.
(03-22-2024, 06:32 PM)jetpilot Wrote: 1. I'm absolutely out unless Cal is gone OR we get to the semifinals of the SEC tournament or Elite 8 in the NCAA tournament - which is unlikely because those would require more postseason wins than Cal has in 5 years.

2. GB's posts 100% on the money with FACTS was epic takedown of OSH and his weak sauce attempts at replies read like something from a 5th grader. Literally NO ONE IN THE COUNTRY buys ANY of his "arguments"

3. From now on whenever I feel like skipping church on a Sunday morning I will think of OSH and get my ass up and go.

GB, who I like, could not have been more wrong in her diatribe. She stated inaccuracy after innacuracy.  She obviously has never listened to one of Tom Leach/Coach Cal programs.  She, like all of you, is distraught, depressed, and angry at the meltdown of our young freshmen on the big stage and want to project blame onto the easiest target, the head coach.

None of you are willing to be intellectually honest and put the blame where it belongs- on the kids who didn't play like they were capable of. KY has some very fine coaches, in addition to the head guy. The kids were coached up but they simply were paralyzed by the fear of failure. Good, good kids but not mentally tough kids. The only two who were ready for the moment were the grizzled veterans , Mitchell and Reeves. See, it's not that hard to be honest with ourselves and others.