Poll: Should Calipari be fired tonight?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
75.00%
No
25.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let’s revisit from 6 years ago. Should Calipari be fired tonight?
(03-22-2024, 01:53 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: It’s the last 6 years before they were fired. And it’s been 6 years since I called for his head. The whole point of this thread.

Try to keep up. Comprehension is key here.

Think about that for a second.
Six years ago I said fire him, he was done….and then I posted the final six years of each coach.

Make sense now?
What makes sense is that we don't hear a word from you when they are winning 8 of 9. But when that loss occurs, WHENEVER it occurs, here you come with your FIRE CAL passion play. You don't like Cal. We get it.
(03-22-2024, 01:25 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 12:50 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: I’d be okay with hiring anyone, hell, tom crean if it meant getting cal out of Lexington so we can recover.

We’d already be back in the thick of things if we’d done that 6 years ago.

I think the next hire needs to be one of two things.

A home run.

Or

A placemat to build back up the coffers.

Either way he needs to be fired on the tarmac tonight. Let him go recruit his g league rejects somewhere else or save face and step into his retirement role. I don’t care either way as long as he’s off the sideline.

The dream hire is Brad Stevens. Always has been. He turned down Indiana for 10 mil a year to stay in the front office with the Celtics. You’d have to give him a contract of 12 mil a year for 10 years guaranteed or something in that neighborhood.

I’m not impressed with any other coach we could get in the college game at this time. You don’t bring in Hurley. We don’t need a duke guy. Drew, Oats, Pearl, Bears, etc are all the same guys. Not good enough for here. So you go cheap and recover. Take a chance on someone young that won’t cost much and if it works out great and if it don’t fire him once the moneys there to get whatever you want.

Also take some of stoops money if you have too. Ain’t like that program is winning more than 7 games anytime in the next 30 years with the new alignment.

In summary, figure out the cal situation tonight. If your Capulto grow some nuts and fire Barnhart with him.

Keep dreaming, big boy. Cal's salary goes up to around 9 million next  year. Capilouto loves Cal. The HOF'er is going nowhere. And when he does retire, there is a clause in his contract in which he agreed to "promise" to stay on as an ambassador for the university. That's a fact. UK wanted Cal to end his coaching here so bad that they made him promise to be an ambassador whenever he did decide to retire. So , Cal's going nowhere. Capilouto and any sane person knows it wasn't Cal's fault that Reed and  Wagner couldn't stick their fingers in their asses.

(03-22-2024, 12:01 AM)rookie57 Wrote: It’s time for all the rose colored glasses fans to give up, if this was buisness, FAILING 5 straight years, the CEO WOULD BE FIRED. Pay the POS 30 million or whatever, and let the equipment manager coach! Sheeez, I’m so sick of this shit

I love you, rook, but just how did Cal lose this game?  No one has attempted to answer that question(because they can't!).

(03-21-2024, 11:51 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^I get all that but couldn't have been worse than what we got...not to mention saving $$MILLONS.

Why save when you can spend? As a progressive , I love spending your money.

(03-22-2024, 01:07 AM)Jarons Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 12:56 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 10:43 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: Let’s hear it. 
I said it 6 years ago. 
Only titles matter here and that garbage coach won’t sniff another one. 
Let’s a D2 transfer put up 30.

So now we’ve wasted another 6 years and another 100 million since his last title and this is the result you get. A bunch of charmin soft freshmen and a coach that could care less.

Nothing makes you happier than a night like tonight. Enjoy it , because we have some very talented kids coming in to replace those who couldn't get it done. The Legend simply reloads!!!

Legends have more than 1 national championship and no vacated final 4s.

You mean, like Baron Von Blackisbahd?
Put it this way, if your BUISNESS had failed to meet your goals and expectations for what 5 years in a row, at what point do you consider maybe it’s not my employees but my managers or bosses? Especially considering that you pretty much have had NEW employees every year.
(03-22-2024, 04:38 AM)rookie57 Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 12:50 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: I’d be okay with hiring anyone, hell, tom crean if it meant getting cal out of Lexington so we can recover.

A home run.

Or

Either way he needs to be fired on the tarmac tonight. Let him go recruit his g league rejects somewhere else or save face and step into his retirement role. I don’t care either way as long as he’s off the sideline.

The dream hire is Brad Stevens. Always has been. He turned down Indiana for 10 mil a year to stay in the front office with the Celtics. You’d have to give him a contract of 12 mil a year for 10 years guaranteed or something in that neighborhood.

I’m not impressed with any other coach we could get in the college game at this time. You don’t bring in Hurley. We don’t need a duke guy. Drew, Oats, Pearl, Bears, etc are all the same guys. Not good enough for here. So you go cheap and recover. Take a chance on someone young that won’t cost much and if it works out great and if it don’t fire him once the moneys there to get whatever you want.

Also take some of stoops money if you have too. Ain’t like that program is winning more than 7 games anytime in the next 30 years with the new alignment.

In summary, figure out the cal situation tonight. If your Capulto grow some nuts and fire Barnhart with him.

Keep dreaming, big boy. Cal's salary goes up to around 9 million next  year. Capilouto loves Cal. The HOF'er is going nowhere. And when he does retire, there is a clause in his contract in which he agreed to "promise" to stay on as an ambassador for the university. That's a fact. UK wanted Cal to end his coaching here so bad that they made him promise to be an ambassador whenever he did decide to retire. So , Cal's going nowhere. Capilouto and any sane person knows it wasn't Cal's fault that Reed and  Wagner couldn't stick their fingers in their asses.

(03-22-2024, 12:01 AM)rookie57 Wrote: It’s time for all the rose colored glasses fans to give up, if this was buisness, FAILING 5 straight years, the CEO WOULD BE FIRED. Pay the POS 30 million or whatever, and let the equipment manager coach! Sheeez, I’m so sick of this shit

I love you, rook, but just how did Cal lose this game?  No one has attempted to answer that question(because they can't!).

(03-21-2024, 11:51 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^I get all that but couldn't have been worse than what we got...not to mention saving $$MILLONS.

(03-22-2024, 12:56 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
I said it 6 years ago. 

So now we’ve wasted another 6 years and another 100 million since his last title and this is the result you get. A bunch of charmin soft freshmen and a coach that could care less.

Nothing makes you happier than a night like tonight. Enjoy it , because we have some very talented kids coming in to replace those who couldn't get it done. The Legend simply reloads!!!

Put it this way, if your BUISNESS had failed to meet your goals and expectations for what 5 years in a row, at what point do you consider maybe it’s not my employees but my managers or bosses? Especially considering that you pretty much have had NEW employees every year.
I would reconsider the type of employees I was hiring. Rather than alter boys,  let's cast our fortunes for late March on guys like Antoine Walker, Demarcus Cousins, and Jamaal Magloire. You know, guys who have never seen a church pew but were one misstep from doing 25 to life. 

Look, if I had a 20 year-old kid I'd be fine with him hnging out with Reed Sheppard and them going over over to Shoney's for some strawberry pie. But if I want someone who is not intimated by the bright lights of Pittsburgh and Division 2 level competition like Jack Gohlke and the Oakland Raiders, I'd rather my guys packed "heat" rather than a book of scriptures. Guys like Cousins or Walker would have crushed Oakland like the little bugs they are. Nice guys finish...    In the round of 64.

[Image: https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...e=66252075]
(03-22-2024, 12:06 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 04:38 AM)rookie57 Wrote:

A home run.

Or

(03-22-2024, 12:56 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Nothing makes you happier than a night like tonight. Enjoy it , because we have some very talented kids coming in to replace those who couldn't get it done. The Legend simply reloads!!!

I would reconsider the type of employees I was hiring. Rather than alter boys,  let's cast our fortunes for late March on guys like Antoine Walker, Demarcus Cousins, and Jamaal Magloire. You know, guys who have never seen a church pew but were one misstep from doing 25 to life. 

Look, if I had a 20 year-old kid I'd be fine with him hnging out with Reed Sheppard and them going over over to Shoney's for some strawberry pie. But if I want someone who is not intimated by the bright lights of Pittsburgh and Division 2 level competition like Jack Gohlke and the Oakland Raiders, I'd rather my guys packed "heat" rather than a book of scriptures. Guys like Cousins or Walker would have crushed Oakland like the little bugs they are. Nice guys finish...    In the round of 64.

[Image: https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...e=66252075]

Cal's the recruiter. He can pick and choose who he wants to put on the team.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
While I partially agree with the first paragraph ( your MANAGER is doing the hiring) so made part of my point. I don’t , we all due respect) agree with your point of not gettin ANY ( alter boys or kids that have never seen a church pew) I have gathered from previous post you might have a dislike for God fearing people, maybe I’m wrong, I apologize if I’m wrong, but I think you could have mixture, we definitely needed some TOUGHER players. So anyway, I still stand by changing the MANAGER( BOSS) who is doing the hiring, and training the employees

A home run.

Or

Looks like I'd posted a response that I'd been typing up while you'd posted this one. Sure, Brad Stevens would be great, but there's no way on Earth that it happens.

I love Kentucky football and hope they keep Stoops as long as possible. It might not seem like a huge difference, but the one to two extra wins per year that he's been able to get is a huge deal. That's the difference between hoping we beat a Mississippi State and Missouri as a slight underdog and upset a Florida, Ole Miss, or Tennessee to go to the Music City or Liberty Bowl and taking care of business as a favorite and hoping that we can sneak up and beat a Georgia, Alabama, LSU, or Texas to go to the Gator, Outback, or Sugar Bowl.

With an expanded playoff coming up, it's not outside the realm of possibility that we end up in some of the top tier bowls for remaining teams or even slip into the playoff in a year where everything breaks right. That's a lot to give up, especially when we have some momentum against a school like Florida that can recover quickly.

The more I've had time to settle down after the loss, the more I am coming to realize that, like it or not, Cal isn't going anywhere until at least the end of next year. Next season will be uncomfortable and downright ugly at times, as I think it will be made clear by fans that he's not wanted and he can be defensive and smarmy when he wants to, but I don't see how the numbers work otherwise.

Cal's at the end of his career and has a sweetheart of a deal that includes being paid after he stops coaching and is pretty strict on "for cause" terminations. If your thought was "would UK owe if he were hit with another NCAA violation" know that it would need to be proven and on the level that the program would be hit with some stiff penalties.

Maybe there's a chance that we can sucker another program into taking him and agreeing to eat some of what we owe him in the process, but that'd require Cal being on board (which he doesn't really have a ton of incentive to do) and for another school to be on board as well (which will be tough given how damaged he is right now).

Would Michigan or even, gasp, Louisville be willing to take him on? Those are probably the only two current openings that could possibly pull something like that off, but they likely realize how much better off they'd be looking elsewhere.

It doesn't mean that we have to like it, but outside of UK and Cal finding a sucker to take on his contract, the realization that we are probably stuck with him for at least another year or two is really starting to sink in.
(03-22-2024, 12:27 PM)rookie57 Wrote: While I partially agree with the first paragraph ( your MANAGER is doing the hiring) so made part of my point. I don’t , we all due respect) agree with your point of not gettin ANY ( alter boys or kids that have never seen a church pew) I have gathered from previous post you might have a dislike for God fearing people, maybe I’m wrong, I apologize if I’m wrong, but I think you could have mixture, we definitely needed some TOUGHER players. So anyway, I still stand by changing the MANAGER( BOSS) who is doing the hiring, and training the employees
And GOHLKE, was from Hillsdale college, I’d bet he’s seen a church pew

(03-22-2024, 12:55 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:

A home run.

Or

Looks like I'd posted a response that I'd been typing up while you'd posted this one. Sure, Brad Stevens would be great, but there's no way on Earth that it happens.

I love Kentucky football and hope they keep Stoops as long as possible. It might not seem like a huge difference, but the one to two extra wins per year that he's been able to get is a huge deal. That's the difference between hoping we beat a Mississippi State and Missouri as a slight underdog and upset a Florida, Ole Miss, or Tennessee to go to the Music City or Liberty Bowl and taking care of business as a favorite and hoping that we can sneak up and beat a Georgia, Alabama, LSU, or Texas to go to the Gator, Outback, or Sugar Bowl.

With an expanded playoff coming up, it's not outside the realm of possibility that we end up in some of the top tier bowls for remaining teams or even slip into the playoff in a year where everything breaks right. That's a lot to give up, especially when we have some momentum against a school like Florida that can recover quickly.

The more I've had time to settle down after the loss, the more I am coming to realize that, like it or not, Cal isn't going anywhere until at least the end of next year. Next season will be uncomfortable and downright ugly at times, as I think it will be made clear by fans that he's not wanted and he can be defensive and smarmy when he wants to, but I don't see how the numbers work otherwise.

Cal's at the end of his career and has a sweetheart of a deal that includes being paid after he stops coaching and is pretty strict on "for cause" terminations. If your thought was "would UK owe if he were hit with another NCAA violation" know that it would need to be proven and on the level that the program would be hit with some stiff penalties.

Maybe there's a chance that we can sucker another program into taking him and agreeing to eat some of what we owe him in the process, but that'd require Cal being on board (which he doesn't really have a ton of incentive to do) and for another school to be on board as well (which will be tough given how damaged he is right now).

Would Michigan or even, gasp, Louisville be willing to take him on? Those are probably the only two current openings that could possibly pull something like that off, but they likely realize how much better off they'd be looking elsewhere.

It doesn't mean that we have to like it, but outside of UK and Cal finding a sucker to take on his contract, the realization that we are probably stuck with him for at least another year or two is really starting to sink in.
and that sucks
You are correct. I THINK I remember reading something about his buyout going from 33M to 28M by the end of next year. Don't quote me on that, I may not be remembering correctly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(03-22-2024, 12:27 PM)rookie57 Wrote: While I partially agree with the first paragraph ( your MANAGER is doing the hiring) so made part of my point. I don’t , we all due respect) agree with your point of not gettin ANY ( alter boys or kids that have never seen a church pew) I have gathered from previous post you might have a dislike for God fearing people, maybe I’m wrong, I apologize if I’m wrong, but I think you could have mixture, we definitely needed some TOUGHER players. So anyway, I still stand by changing the MANAGER( BOSS) who is doing the hiring, and training the employees
Cal has gone soft in this sense- he seems to value a bunch of good guys who all get along with each other and like to hang out over at his house playing air hockey and eating Ellen's cookies.  We needed more nastiness on this team. We had NONE!!!  ZERO!!!

Gohlke would see about as much playing time at UK as Chris Gettlefinger. We had a bunch of scared freshmen with absolutely NO defensive discipline.
His buyout is $33.38 Million. I’m sure Kentucky can come up with that….

I’m ready for a damn change in Lexington.

I was telling my buddy that he done good throughout his early stages of his career at UK and got them right where he wanted them when they offered him a lifetime contract and now he doesn’t give a shit because he knows he’s gonna get paid one way or another.
(03-22-2024, 02:49 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: His buyout is $33.38 Million. I’m sure Kentucky can come up with that….

I was telling my buddy that he done good throughout his early stages of his career at UK and got them right where he wanted them when they offered him a lifetime contract and now he doesn’t give a shit because he knows he’s gonna get paid one way or another.

I don't believe  for a single second that he doesn't give a shit.  Coaches, and especially Hall of Fame coaches like Cal,  are super-competitive. They want to win. You really think he doesn't want to win another national title? Man, this place is getting weird. Conspiracy theory weird.
Some fans are way too comfortable with mediocrity.

Example a
We have a poster who absolutely gives his high school team hell for not winning a title but comes here and tells us we should be fine not winning a title at UK. Which is much more important.

Hypocrite

Why don’t you turn cal into a clown like you did Greer? Same thing right?
(03-22-2024, 03:38 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: Some fans are way too comfortable with mediocrity.

Example a
We have a poster who absolutely gives his high school team hell for not winning a title but comes here and tells us we should be fine not winning a title at UK. Which is much more important.

Hypocrite

I've known Greer for over 50 years. I know him to be a clown. Just ask Bull or others who know him. Cal's a fine man. He's no clown. And his wife bakes great cookies. I stated that Greer did a pretty good job this past season. But he remains a clown as a human being. Cal cares about his players before, during, and after he coaches them. Tommy cares only about Tommy.

You scholars do know that if Cal moves on, probably his entire #2 in the nation recruiting class goes with him, right? Would make for a Vandy-type season. Can you handle that, BGR BBN?
(03-22-2024, 03:47 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 03:38 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: Some fans are way too comfortable with mediocrity.

Example a

Hypocrite

I've known Greer for over 50 years. I know him to be a clown. Just ask Bull or others who know him. Cal's a fine man. He's no clown. And his wife bakes great cookies. I stated that Greer did a pretty good job this past season. But he remains a clown as a human being. Cal cares about his players before, during, and after he coaches them. Tommy cares only about Tommy.

You scholars do know that if Cal moves on, probably his entire #2 in the nation recruiting class goes with him, right?  Would make for a Vandy-type season. Can you handle that, BGR BBN?

there’s simply no reason to continue replying to someone who is obviously trolling or has an ego as big as cals that they can’t admit when they’re wrong. 

anyone that can still defend cal after everything that’s happened and after all the evidence that’s been presented simply can’t have a conversation.

I would have admitted I was wrong if cal would have won a title. Or hell even a final four. 

you never will no matter what happens. 

to the mute section you go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RunItUpTheGut's post:
  • jetpilot
(03-22-2024, 05:44 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote:

Example a

Hypocrite

You scholars do know that if Cal moves on, probably his entire #2 in the nation recruiting class goes with him, right?  Would make for a Vandy-type season. Can you handle that, BGR BBN?

there’s simply no reason to continue replying to someone who is obviously trolling or has an ego as big as cals that they can’t admit when they’re wrong. 

anyone that can still defend cal after everything that’s happened and after all the evidence that’s been presented simply can’t have a conversation.

I would have admitted I was wrong if cal would have won a title. Or hell even a final four. 

you never will no matter what happens. 

to the mute section you go.

I ask again, how did Cal lose last night's game?  What part of "Reed Sheppard was a scared little boy who was afraid to shoot a shot "made Cal the reason for the loss? What part of "2 for 9 Dilly " don't you understand? What part of  0 points from Wagner is lost on you?  The closest that any of you basketball scholars came to addressing the question was VH, who blamed lack of preparation for Oakland's zone defense. To that I say, do you really believe that Cal and his assistant coaches didn't prepare these dudes for beating the zone? Are you serious? Of course they did. Our boys were prepped by some very good coaches. Every player on the team would tell you that. But when the lights came on they played tight and scared and forgot everything that they had been coached to do. Do you seriously think Reed Sheppard was himself?   

The youngsters just melted down under the glare of the spotlight. We needed mentally tough kids who wanted to embrace and devour the big stage. We didn't have those guys. The big stage ate them alive. Nothing about that was Cal's fault.  I am the only person here being intellectually honest about this ugly result. You all know if Reed, Dilly, and DJ hadn't of melted to big blue goo like the Wicked Witch of the West, we would have won this game by 15 or more. Someone show some courage and honesty and admit what you already know--- that John Calipari didn't lose that game.
Big Red Nose, Big Shoes
(03-22-2024, 02:49 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: His buyout is $33.38 Million. I’m sure Kentucky can come up with that….

I actually don't think that the school could come up with $33 million. It's doubtful that those kinds of funds are just locked away in a vault in the AD'S office or sitting in an account and not earmarked for something else.

This will probably provide some perspective. These are currently the highest paid coaches and roughly how many million they are getting per year (this season):

1. Self - $9.625
2. Calipari - $8.53 ($9.0 next year)
3. Izzo - $6.196
4. Pearl - $5.716
5. Barnes - $5.700
6. Drew - $5.100
7. Hurley - $5.000
8. Underwood - $4.700
9. Sampson - $4.610
10. Oats - $4.530

Cal is the 2nd highest paid coach in the nation. We'd owe him 75% of his contract if we fired him. 75% of what he'd have been owed this season is still enough to make him the 2nd highest paid coach (Izzo makes ~72% of what he does).

For $33 million, UK could theoretically hire a staff of: Hurley, Self, and Drew (otherwise known as the last three coaches to win a title) and still have over $12 million remaining.

Again, keep in mind that all of this is before you even consider the money we'd have to spend to get someone better.
If KY wants out of the contract, money will not stop them. They don't even have to pay all the money in one lump sum payment. They can pay it out over the entire term of his contract, which runs, I believe through June of '30 . They would have to "pony up" less than 6 million a year. Plus, whatever Cal makes if he takes another coaching job might come off of the amount owed. Money is no problem. The fact is, the UK President(and others at UK) love Cal and want him here as long as he wants to be here. Contrary to the opinion of a few uninformed voters here, Cal is/has been/will continue to be a money magnet for the university. That's the bottomline.
(03-22-2024, 06:56 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 02:49 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: His buyout is $33.38 Million. I’m sure Kentucky can come up with that….

I actually don't think that the school could come up with $33 million. It's doubtful that those kinds of funds are just locked away in a vault in the AD'S office or sitting in an account and not earmarked for something else.

This will probably provide some perspective. These are currently the highest paid coaches and roughly how many million they are getting per year (this season):

1. Self - $9.625
2. Calipari - $8.53 ($9.0 next year)
3. Izzo - $6.196
4. Pearl - $5.716
5. Barnes - $5.700
6. Drew - $5.100
7. Hurley - $5.000
8. Underwood - $4.700
9. Sampson - $4.610
10. Oats - $4.530

Cal is the 2nd highest paid coach in the nation. We'd owe him 75% of his contract if we fired him. 75% of what he'd have been owed this season is still enough to make him the 2nd highest paid coach (Izzo makes ~72% of what he does).

For $33 million, UK could theoretically hire a staff of: Hurley, Self, and Drew (otherwise known as the last three coaches to win a title)  and still have over $12 million remaining.

Again, keep in mind that all of this is before you even consider the money we'd have to spend to get someone better.
The money has to come from donors. Matt Jones on KSR said today that the donors don't like Cal either and as bad as they want him gone, they won't be lining the pockets of someone they don't like with their hard earned millions just to get him to leave.
I said it 6 years ago. 

Fire his hind end.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • jetpilot
Here's an affordable name with NBA experience that will never happen in our lifetime: former Spurs assistant and current coach of the defending back-to-back WNBA champion Aces, Becky Hammon. I think she currently makes ~$750K per year.

Let's be honest with ourselves here: take away the fact that she's a woman and she'd have been given many more opportunities.
(03-22-2024, 10:09 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
I said it 6 years ago. 

Fire his hind end.
Well said and as usual you cut all the BS out of the equation. Glad you are on here sir, hope you are well. A voice of reason on here along with Van Hagar, Granny Bear, Westside, Spud and a few others. And I don't mean me lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • pjdoug
(03-22-2024, 10:42 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Here's an affordable name with NBA experience that will never happen in our lifetime: former Spurs assistant and current coach of the defending back-to-back WNBA champion Aces, Becky Hammon. I think she currently makes ~$750K per year.

Let's be honest with ourselves here: take away the fact that she's a woman and she'd have been given many more opportunities.

Good hire for the UK women's team which is open.
(03-22-2024, 11:02 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 10:42 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Here's an affordable name with NBA experience that will never happen in our lifetime: former Spurs assistant and current coach of the defending back-to-back WNBA champion Aces, Becky Hammon. I think she currently makes ~$750K per year.

She'd be taking a huge paycut and leaving a professional team for college. I think she gets a chance to be a head coach in the men's game at some point. She's too successful not to.

Here are some names in the Greg Popovich coaching tree: Steve Kerr, Mike Budenholzer, Michael Malone, Ime Udoka, and Monty Williams. If you've watched the NBA Finals in almost any of the past five or so years, you've seen them as the head coach, and three of them won it all.

Scratch that, on merit alone, she's extremely overqualified compared to most college coaches.
(03-22-2024, 02:24 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
Cal has gone soft in this sense- he seems to value a bunch of good guys who all get along with each other and like to hang out over at his house playing air hockey and eating Ellen's cookies.  We needed more nastiness on this team. We had NONE!!!  ZERO!!!

Gohlke would see about as much playing time at UK as Chris Gettlefinger. We had a bunch of scared freshmen with absolutely NO defensive discipline.

We had a coach that doesn't know how to coach..

Kentucky sexist hillbillies would storm Dr. Capilouto's office and stage a riot on campus.
(03-23-2024, 12:18 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Kentucky sexist hillbillies would storm Dr. Capilouto's office and stage a riot on campus.

If his office hasn't been stormed over Cal pulling $100 MILLION + out of our state and can't beat anyone I'm confident he's safe.
Name calling just makes you look crazier than you already look, which is kind of amazing.

Big Red Nose, Big Shoes
(03-22-2024, 11:58 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:

She'd be taking a huge paycut and leaving a professional team for college. I think she gets a chance to be a head coach in the men's game at some point. She's too successful not to.

Here are some names in the Greg Popovich coaching tree: Steve Kerr, Mike Budenholzer, Michael Malone, Ime Udoka, and Monty Williams. If you've watched the NBA Finals in almost any of the past five or so years, you've seen them as the head coach, and three of them won it all.

Scratch that, on merit alone, she's extremely overqualified compared to most college coaches.

Never happen. That's not sexist but women can't tell men how to play basketball. I'm totally on board with giving her $1 MM to coach UK women though. And she will probably still be playing every year after Cal gets bounced.
(03-23-2024, 01:28 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 11:58 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:

Never happen. That's not sexist but women can't tell men how to play basketball. I'm totally on board with giving her $1 MM to coach UK women though. And she will probably still be playing every year after Cal gets bounced.

I don't know about that. Gregg Popovich doesn't seem like the type to carry around dead-weight or favor hires. I'm sure it wasn't a decision that everyone in the organization just rubber-stamped either. I think she'd coached the Spurs during the summer league one season and Popovich and others in the organization spoke highly of her.

I will say that I think some coaches are meant to coach college and others professionally. There's a reason that Larry Brown is the only coach to win a title at both levels. It looks like she would rather be at the professional level than the collegiate level.

IMO, the only reason Hammon would have to consider a college job is to break some of the glass ceilings and work twice as hard to get to where she could go than a man would. In terms of just X's and O's & basketball knowledge, she'd probably run circles around the majority of coaches in the NCAA.

Let's be real: Popovich is right there with Pat Riley and Phil Jackson when it comes to the most successful and well-regarded coaches from the 80's forward. I don't know who else you would definitively put ahead of him other than those two. He's won five NBA championships for a small market team and at one time had seven of his protgees filling head coaching roles in the NBA at the same time. If he thinks she's valuable enough to fill one of his few assistant slots with during two of their title runs and trust the summer league team to her, then that's kind of a big deal and more than enough for me.

As far as things like negative recruiting might go against her, I would imagine that another coach talking about "getting to the league" wouldn't carry nearly as much weight as the actual wisdom and insight that she could offer given that she had, you know, actually done it as both a player, assistant coach, and head coach. Basically, if she weren't a woman, she'd be something like what the opposition would have worried about if someone like a Penny Hardaway or Jerry Stackhouse also had professional coaching experience and was really able to take off.

Example a

Hypocrite

The same type of recruiting class that makes a first round exit from the tournament annually.