•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School?
God of Thunder Wrote:Back to the topic:

Jon Chapman would like to return to the Panthers.

Get them QB's arms warmed up if Chapman comes back to Pikeville. Air Raid and option football
Anyone heard anything as to who may be the front runners for the job???
State Champs Wrote:Get them QB's arms warmed up if Chapman comes back to Pikeville. Air Raid and option football

He never ran the option when he was here the first time.
TRAIN85 Wrote:He never ran the option when he was here the first time.

No he did not. Slung the ball around the field.
Jon Chapman would like to return to Pikeville. IMO he knows more about the game of football than any man I have met in the High School ranks. If he was left alone the first time, Pikeville would have another State Championship. Copley, Mcnamee, Matney, Hager are all great coaches too but Chapman holds a special place in my heart. He brought Pikeville football back to the top my senior year when we went 5-6 the year before that with the current Principal at PHS. He put me into an offensive system that allowed me to get a college scholarship. Ask any player who played for him and they will tell you he is a football genious.
I agree whole-heartedly!
HazzBeen Wrote:Jon Chapman would like to return to Pikeville. IMO he knows more about the game of football than any man I have met in the High School ranks. If he was left alone the first time, Pikeville would have another State Championship. Copley, Mcnamee, Matney, Hager are all great coaches too but Chapman holds a special place in my heart. He brought Pikeville football back to the top my senior year when we went 5-6 the year before that with the current Principal at PHS. He put me into an offensive system that allowed me to get a college scholarship. Ask any player who played for him and they will tell you he is a football genious.

So are you saying that you know for fact that Chapman has applied and is interested in this job?
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Dear Principal:

Hire the best coach for the Pikeville Panther football program. All Pikeville fans will be overly excited and pat you on the back when you do.

Of course when we lose our first game then we will want to fire both you and the head coach.
Go Panthers!!!
:lmao:
Respectfully,
A Pikeville Football Observer

So you don't believe that your Panthers, you are supposedly rooting for, will wintheir first game?
God of Thunder Wrote:Back to the topic:

Jon Chapman would like to return to the Panthers.

How do you know this for fact? Have you spoken with him about this matter?
I think that if Chapman gets the job Pikeville will have the best special teams in the country. Our Kicking and punting will be unmatched anywhere. Also heard Dunbar and south Laurel's coach has applied ,what would this job have for them? We need some one who cares and will be here to build this program. Not someone who is being pushed out of their current situation. Just Kicking around a few ideas.
3Cat Wrote:Also heard Dunbar and south Laurel's coach has applied ,what would this job have for them? We need some one who cares and will be here to build this program. Not someone who is being pushed out of their current situation. Just Kicking around a few ideas.

Bag that! I hope these two no namers don't feel they deserve to be here!
hammertime Wrote:So you don't believe that your Panthers, you are supposedly rooting for, will wintheir first game?

No. Talking about the first loss for the new coach. Regardless if it is the 1st game or the 10th game.
Capt. DH Wrote:Bag that! I hope these two no namers don't feel they deserve to be here!

Not for sure if either coach is what Pikeville needs. But to say they are no namers is a little harsh.

IMHO their names are on the same playing field as Copley.

Again I say Pikeville could do much better.
hammertime Wrote:How do you know this for fact? Have you spoken with him about this matter?

It's a fact.
Ive heard some rumors that the DC from Danville has shown interest in the job. Has anyone else heard this?
Ther are so many rumors. I think when it's all said and done, Michael Copley will get the job. I think the principal will look at what's in the best interest of the players and the program and make his decision.
There will be some qualified candidates, but based on those two factors, Copley will stand out above the rest.
Elwayfan Wrote:Ther are so many rumors. I think when it's all said and done, Michael Copley will get the job. I think the principal will look at what's in the best interest of the players and the program and make his decision.
There will be some qualified candidates, but based on those two factors, Copley will stand out above the rest.

This is the most absurd post, which I have had the pleasure of reading. Copley does not have near the credentials of some other individuals mentioned in this thread.

How many "Championships" has Copley won?
How much "Head Coaching" experience does he have?

".......Copley will stand out above the rest."

Please....give me a break!
God of Thunder Wrote:This is the most absurd post, which I have had the pleasure of reading. Copley does not have near the credentials of some other individuals mentioned in this thread.

Just because names have been mentioned doesn't meen they have applied for the job. Who has applied? Please, fill us in on all the names and the credentials of all the applicants since you have all the knowledge about this subject. I think Lou Holtz would be more qualified and have better credentials, but I'm not sure if he has applied.

I do know that Copley has applied. I do know that the kids love him and respond to him, I know he got Asst. Coach of the Year, I know that he's been successful at everything he has been involved with in football, both as a player and coach. I do know that he has provided Pikeville with one of the top defenses in the state every year since he has been there. I know he coached and played on one of the most potent offenses in the history of Ky. football at Lawrence Co.

We can butt heads on this all day, but it doesn't matter what we think. You know I like Copley and think he's the right man for the job. He deserves the chance after all the effort and time he has dedicated to the Pikeville Football Program. Everyone can tell that you don't want Copley to be the next head football coach at Pikeville for whatever reason or motive you have. We will just have to wait and see.

As far as "championships", there's been several great coaches that were never in the right spot at the right time to win a championship.

As far as "head coaching experience", (Haywood, Howard, Hylton) all great high school coaches, were assts. at one time.
God of Thunder Wrote:This is the most absurd post, which I have had the pleasure of reading. Copley does not have near the credentials of some other individuals mentioned in this thread.

Exactly. Copley's credentials are below most of the applicants and not in the same universe as the top applicants.
Elwayfan Wrote:Ther are so many rumors. I think when it's all said and done, Michael Copley will get the job. I think the principal will look at what's in the best interest of the players and the program and make his decision.

The principal should do what the committee recommends.
jetpilot Wrote:Exactly. Copley's credentials are below most of the applicants and not in the same universe as the top applicants.
Any chance you can shed some light on who has applied other than Copley? I would like to know some official names. Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beef Wrote:Any chance you can shed some light on who has applied other than Copley? I would like to know some official names. Thanks.

Don't want to say on here. I'll send you a PM.
jetpilot Wrote:The principal should do what the committee recommends.
He could, but he still will have the decision to make on his own. I would love for Mayo to leave it up to the committee also. I believe it would work out well.
In my opinion the Pikeville High School football job is similar to a Notre Dame football, University of Kentucky basketball, Michigan football position in the state of Kentucky. Pikeville is a once in a lifetime opprotunity to lead one of the best Class A teams to ever play. A person taking this position should prove that they are worthy enough of this honor by building a solid head coaching reputation at other schools. Then when you have proven to reach the calibre of a coach that can continue to build on the solid foundation that was paved before you, then you should get that opprotunity, not because kids like you. The new outside coach would absolutely make the kids work hard because there are other kids waiting for their turn. If by chance they refuse to work hard and produce results, they'll get replaced by someone that is hungrier than you are who sits on the sidelines wishing they were in your position. When they get that chance they won't want to let it go and they'll work even harder. A coach will see that and admire their efforts, pushing the so called "super stars" even further in the dog house leaving them no other choice but to play harder. A new guy comes into town, he knows nothing about what type of players he has. The only way he will find out is how they perform infront of him and no one will want to put off a bad first impression. I think getting the most experienced and proven person is what Pikeville needs, not just someone that the kids enjoy playing for.
DALE Wrote:In my opinion the Pikeville High School football job is similar to a Notre Dame football, University of Kentucky basketball, Michigan football position in the state of Kentucky. Pikeville is a once in a lifetime opprotunity to lead one of the best Class A teams to ever play. A person taking this position should prove that they are worthy enough of this honor by building a solid head coaching reputation at other schools. Then when you have proven to reach the calibre of a coach that can continue to build on the solid foundation that was paved before you, then you should get that opprotunity, not because kids like you. The new outside coach would absolutely make the kids work hard because there are other kids waiting for their turn. If by chance they refuse to work hard and produce results, they'll get replaced by someone that is hungrier than you are who sits on the sidelines wishing they were in your position. When they get that chance they won't want to let it go and they'll work even harder. A coach will see that and admire their efforts, pushing the so called "super stars" even further in the dog house leaving them no other choice but to play harder. A new guy comes into town, he knows nothing about what type of players he has. The only way he will find out is how they perform infront of him and no one will want to put off a bad first impression. I think getting the most experienced and proven person is what Pikeville needs, not just someone that the kids enjoy playing for.

:rockon:
jetpilot Wrote:Don't want to say on here. I'll send you a PM.
Id like to know as well. Would you PM ne as well?
jetpilot Wrote:Exactly. Copley's credentials are below most of the applicants and not in the same universe as the top applicants.
Like Ive said before. Im sure there were people who were saying in the early 70s that Hillard Howard "was too young and just an assistant with no head coaching experience". I know Im gonna get called everything from an idiot to a blasphemer on here for saying this but Im just repeating what Ive heard on more than one occasion and by more than a few people. Ive heard them say that Copely is a "young Hillard Howard"(Their exact words). The reason why I put so much stock in what these people have said is because they played for Hillard in his earlier days and they would know above any including myself what he was like. To be honest we at Pikeville have been looking for an "Old School butt kicker" of a coach since HH left (Yes Chapman was like that but it just didnt work out). We IMO have that in Copely, a young guy who not only pushes his players to the absolute limit but also one THEY want to play for. You just dont find that combination very often and when you do you better grab on with both hands and not let go. In a way our program is just like it was in the early 70s. Meaning we were good occasionaly but not every year like we used to be. Had we not took a chance on an unproven assistant then its hard telling where our program would be at this point. Im sure in '72 that there were more qualified and experienced coaches than Hillard who applied but he was what the program needed at that time. IMO Copely is what the program needs at this time. Just as before I respect everyone who loves this schools opinion and Ill support our coach 100% no matter who it turns out to be.
jetpilot Wrote:Don't want to say on here. I'll send you a PM.

Send my way also.
Can anyone list who is on the committee?
Please educate me. Assistant coach of the year? Is this another one of Jackson's awards or is this a legit statement? Copley played for Lawerence county. Some good players in the late 90's. Compare previous coaches on pikeville's staff and where they played and the tradition that they came from and the records that they specifically broke and the state championships they won and the college programs they were sucessful in and championships won in college.
Wheeler
Salyer
McNamee
Copley can not hold the jock strap of any of these 3 and he knows thats a fact not to mention many others. Some one posted on here previously that p-ville defense was #1 in the state? KHSAA.com. Look it up. Pikeville has had quality defenses in the past check 1998-2004 before jackson came.McNamee and Ratliff both had defenses at the top of the state. Be in support all you want to I dont care about promoting someone, just post with truthful and solid facts. I have seen this program over the past 3 years not progress, under utilize, and over promote themselves and players. You do what your head coach tells you to do. This weight program idea is off base. Pikeville Football was and can be a suscessful championship program again. If a player from 1998-2007 has not been asked to give their all or has not been pushed to the ends of their abilities I will have a hard time believing it, if some one is on here and can refute that please do. All coaches have different ideas and techniques for lifting and practice. To promote one as a higher authority one would believe substance whould been shown to back it up. My question to all of the pikeville fans once again, what progress had this team made over the past 3 years that can explain the proclaimed sucess in the weight room or the trophy room. Before you respond get your facts. I have mine.
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next