•  Previous
  • 12(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School?
Many will apply, many will not. Once siffted through a few will remain. 3-4 new names and 3-4 that have been around before. If your not a copley,salyer,mcnamee,mayham,mania what are you able to give to this program. Fresh start, I can remember being told that keno said with the hire of jackson that this is the man to lead us. They did not check his past close enough to see that he majored in school in the arts of SMOKE and MIRRORS.
His next job was one only a total smooth rider could have. The selling Ice to eskimos is a job for only selected jedi. Both of these together along with some football knowledge could lead somewhere. Just like salt and pepper in a good soup the elliots influence and the appartment made the soup taste that much better. Sorry clay no state rings for your fingers, just a picture on the wall of champions when you were a freshman. Not from this staff though.
You people want to win form a staff that will be here for the next 20 years. Give them the freedom to implement their LL program and JH High program
and run a CHAMPIONSHIP high school program with out pulling coaches aside and asking" say coach you guys ever think about doing any of those tackeling drills"There are more that qualified people within our school and the surronding 5 miles of our school to lead this program back up from the depressed state the last 3 years has put it in. An championship staff would not be hard to assemble.
jetpilot Wrote:Don't want to say on here. I'll send you a PM.

send me a PM also
jetpilot Wrote:Don't want to say on here. I'll send you a PM.

PM me too please. I definitely gotta here these.
How many state championship rings do the candidates have for coaching on their hands that have applied. They have what Pikeville people want not district and region trophy’s.
State Champs Wrote:How many state championship rings do the candidates have for coaching on their hands that have applied. They have what Pikeville people want not district and region trophy’s.

Jon Chapman has three rings.

Chris McNamee has one ring.

Danville DC has ??????????? (probably a few).

David Hensley has none.

Mike Copley has none.
God of Thunder Wrote:Jon Chapman has three rings.

David Hensley has none.

Mike Copley has none.
How many when they were Head Coaches at Pikeville before?
God of Thunder Wrote:Jon Chapman has three rings.

David Hensley has none.

Mike Copley has none.

Mcnamee has a ring as a player not a coach. HUGE difference. If your just looking at jewelry Copely has a MAC conference championship ring from when he played at Marshall. That would trump any high school state title ring IMO. How many state title rings did Hillard have when he came to Pikeville? How many did Haywood have when he came to Belfry? Better yet how long did Haywood have to wait to get one after he got to Belfry? Im sure that if Macnamee had quit in 2001 as opposed to when he did and Haywood wanted the Pikeville job we would have been fools not to give it to him even if he didnt have any hardware on his fingers at that time.
Coaching rings at Pikeville none. When did Chris win a ring for coaching? I think Hillard has 3 rings for coaching at Pikevile.
Salyer also has one. McNamee 1 both as players, I believe Howell even has one or two. None as head coaches for any of these guys. Mac was close 3 times with regional championships. How many regional championships had Jackson and members of his staff been to? Jackson, copley, roberts? Wheeler and gravy yes . As a head Coach this year was Jacksons first time in a regional finals. But as I stated before, if you have not been as a player or a coach it is 1000 times harder to understand what it takes to get there. Not to the clinic but the actual playing or coaching in the games. Compare what you want but specific championship programs come from years of tradition not 1 or 2 years of good teams.
Elwayfan Wrote:How many when they were Head Coaches at Pikeville before?
I believe that had Chapman been able to finish the season (when Pikeville lost to Beachwood in state-semis in the first game that Chapman didn't coach) then he would have had 1 ring while with the Panthers. JMO though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Mcnamee has a ring as a player not a coach. HUGE difference. If your just looking at jewelry Copely has a MAC conference championship ring from when he played at Marshall. That would trump any high school state title ring IMO. How many state title rings did Hillard have when he came to Pikeville? How many did Haywood have when he came to Belfry? Better yet how long did Haywood have to wait to get one after he got to Belfry? Im sure that if Macnamee had quit in 2001 as opposed to when he did and Haywood wanted the Pikeville job we would have been fools not to give it to him even if he didnt have any hardware on his fingers at that time.

Copley played at Marshall??????? Proof. He was hurt at G-Town before his college career even started. Mac has a few OVC rings also and he actually started and plaved. Salyer Started and played and won a Mid South Conference Championship. The game is totally different at the two compared levels. If your a coach and know anything about how your team won a state title as a player its a hugh advantage to prepare your team and coaches for the expectations to get there. Jackson said in his press conference when he took the job his goal was not to win a state title. He formed a staff that had one member ( Wheeler) that knew anything about championships .He took over a regional championship program if you dont expect and demand it, it will not happen. Bottom line is Copley could be a good defensive coach. Not saying anything about his work ethic or schemes. With the talent they have had over the past 3 years and the schedules and strength of the teams they have played IMO the have not lived up to their potential. ONe last thing, Jackson said he is the most head coach ready assistant he has ever had. If Jackson has had so much success over his tenure of coaching ZERO regional Championships and beating allen central and a poor paintsville team to even get to his first region, why dont they just allow him to pass the job onto copley 0 regional championships . I am sure pikeville wont mind 2-3 more years of destruction in the program until they awaken again.
Beef Wrote:I believe that had Chapman been able to finish the season (when Pikeville lost to Beachwood in state-semis in the first game that Chapman didn't coach) then he would have had 1 ring while with the Panthers. JMO though.

He could not stop KICKING students and being a pure @__ __ around everyone how could he have stayed focused on a state title? How is he even in consideration for this job? The reason he left was he did not agree with the punishment given to him for something most would be in extreme trouble over.
Sorry guys, I just asked a simple question. Did not want to make it personal. I know Chris is a good man. I don't know Copley at all, but I am sure he is a good coach. I also respect your opinions and support for the coach you want for the job for what ever reason. I am sure the Pikeville community will hire the most qualified candidate that has applied. So good luck to the individual who gets the job.
The reason he left was he did not agree with the punishment given to him.

I don't think John Chapman left for the reason that you have said. I would get my facts straight when making up personal attacks toward him or anyone. I am sure that you are just passing own a tell that you have picked up over the years. But knowing John Chapman like I do. I am sure that he would forgive you.
State Champs Wrote:The reason he left was he did not agree with the punishment given to him.

I don't think John Chapman left for the reason that you have said. I would get my facts straight when making up personal attacks toward him or anyone. I am sure that you are just passing own a tell that you have picked up over the years. But knowing John Chapman like I do. I am sure that he would forgive you.

I dont post unless I know the facts. He resigned because they put him on supension for an incident and he did not agree with the punishment.
I am sur that John Chapman is not beig considered for a candidate for the head coaching position anyway. You and your candidate have more than him to worry about in obtaining the position. Good luck!
3Cat Wrote:I dont post unless I know the facts. He resigned because they put him on supension for an incident and he did not agree with the punishment.

This is what I have heard as well. And this was what I was told while I was in school at PHS and had a class under Chapman.

Don't know how true it is or not, there are a lot of stories that get stretched out of proportion in Pikeville.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
State Champs Wrote:I am sur that John Chapman is not beig considered for a candidate for the head coaching position anyway. You and your candidate have more than him to worry about in obtaining the position. Good luck!
Why do you not think that Chapman is being considered if he has applied?

But hopefully we can get a list of who the committee is inviting for interviews sometime today.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It is the history of the coaching business.
Beef Wrote:Why do you not think that Chapman is being considered if he has applied?

But hopefully we can get a list of who the committee is inviting for interviews sometime today.

Beef:

I was told they wouldn't release the names due to confidentially. Becasue some of the applicants already hold jobs elsewhere, but if you hear anything post it. ASAP Smile
Phoenix Panther Wrote:Beef:

I was told they wouldn't release the names due to confidentially. Becasue some of the applicants already hold jobs elsewhere, but if you hear anything post it. ASAP Smile
Totally understandable....but I would love to know!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3Cat Wrote:He formed a staff that had one member ( Wheeler) that knew anything about championships .He took over a regional championship program if you dont expect and demand it, it will not happen. With the talent they have had over the past 3 years and the schedules and strength of the teams they have played IMO the have not lived up to their potential. ONe last thing, Jackson said he is the most head coach ready assistant he has ever had. If Jackson has had so much success over his tenure of coaching ZERO regional Championships and beating allen central and a poor paintsville team to even get to his first region, why dont they just allow him to pass the job onto copley 0 regional championships . I am sure pikeville wont mind 2-3 more years of destruction in the program until they awaken again.

I REALLY hesitate posting in this thread, but since one poster insists on bringing up my record -- and making the implications that I got the job by using "smoke and mirrors," that I'd never coached in a regional championship, and that I "formed a staff with only one member that knew anything about championships, I must reply and make some needed corrections.

1) My teams at Oldham Co. made THREE regional championship games. This at a school that had only been to the Regional Championship TWICE in their 50 year history, and before I took over hadn't even won a PLAYOFF GAME in TWELVE YEARS.

We did it while playing in regions that included Trinity, Boone County, Highlands, Covington Catholic, and Louisville Waggener.

The teams we lost to in those regional championships all went on to the state championship (Trinity won theirs, Highlands lost a close game to Boyle Co., and Waggener beat Bowling Green on the way to losing to Jared Lorenzen's Highlands team).

For proof (something 3Cat fails to provide), please check www.khsaa.org and check the Riherd's scoreboards for football since 1999.

2) 3Cat calls it "smoke and mirrors" -- but isn't it more accurate to call what HE'S doing "smoke and mirrors" when you try to make a case for something using inaccuracies in the process?

(By the way, maybe he could list the "powerhouse teams" Pikeville played to achieve Regional Championships in the 90s. I believe the most impressive of that list would be WILLIAMSBURG.)

For proof again, please check the Riherd's scoreboards at khsaa.org.

3) As to how I "formed a staff," when I came to Pikeville, the first three people I asked to join on were Coach Wheeler, Jason Howell, and Chad Salyer.

I offered Chad the position of Co-offensive coordinator -- giving him control of the passing offense. He at first accepted, but later declined telling me he had been offered a coaching position at Pikeville College. When that fell through, I offered again and he said he would likely be too involved in building his house to make a full commitment. I appreciated him taking the amount of commitment I was requiring into account and we parted on good terms.

Coach Howell told me it would be better for him at the time to make a total move out of Pikeville and get a fresh start somewhere else. Perfectly understandable, and he got a job at a very successful 4A program in Lexington.

The following year -- before spring practice -- I again offered for Coach Salyer to join the staff. His house was still in the process of being finished so he could not make a full commitment again.

This past season, Coach Salyer was ready to join the staff and we had been talking through the spring about our offensive attack. The week before our first practice he let me know that since he was up for the vacant AD job that he wouln't be able to coach.

So, as you can see, I TRIED to retain members of the previous staff -- MANY times. To imply that I did not shows either that D3 wasn't involved and lacks full understanding of the situation (thus, shouldn't be posting ANYTHING about it) or DID know what happened and has chosen to post falsehoods (hoping I wouldn't read them and post the truth).

For proof, call and talk PERSONALLY to Coach Wheeler, Coach Howell, and Coach Salyer.

(And by the way, didn't Jason "Gravy" Anderson, Matt Branham, and Paul Sullivan learn a little about winning championships? Last I checked, they were all guys I brought on board to coach at Pikeville.)

* And one other "smoke and mirrors" approach 3Cat seems to like is to make a derogatory remark about our scheduling and then mentioned only "Allen Central" and "Painstville" (district teams we HAD to play).

He failed however to mention how we tried mightily to beef up the schedule with Lexington Catholic (4A Champions), Ashland (5A team and winner of over 75% of their games the 4 years prior to our scheduling them), and Holy Cross (a 1A power who was knocked out of playoffs by Danville by fewer than 2, 5, and 5 points in 3 of the last 4 years prior to our scheduling them).

BTW, I truly believe Coach Copley IS the most-ready-to-be-a-head-coach of any former assistant coach I've ever had (there have been 5 in my 11 years go on to become head coaches). But I would have to admit that it's CLOSE between him and Brian Rector -- an assistant of mine that went on to win 2 5A state titles in Tennessee.
3Cat Wrote:Many will apply, many will not. Once siffted through a few will remain. 3-4 new names and 3-4 that have been around before. If your not a copley,salyer,mcnamee,mayham,mania what are you able to give to this program. Fresh start, I can remember being told that keno said with the hire of jackson that this is the man to lead us. They did not check his past close enough to see that he majored in school in the arts of SMOKE and MIRRORS.
His next job was one only a total smooth rider could have. The selling Ice to eskimos is a job for only selected jedi. Both of these together along with some football knowledge could lead somewhere. Just like salt and pepper in a good soup the elliots influence and the appartment made the soup taste that much better. Sorry clay no state rings for your fingers, just a picture on the wall of champions when you were a freshman. Not from this staff though.
You people want to win form a staff that will be here for the next 20 years. Give them the freedom to implement their LL program and JH High program
and run a CHAMPIONSHIP high school program with out pulling coaches aside and asking" say coach you guys ever think about doing any of those tackeling drills"There are more that qualified people within our school and the surronding 5 miles of our school to lead this program back up from the depressed state the last 3 years has put it in. An championship staff would not be hard to assemble.
Ok Im a little confused here (I know it inst hard to do LOL!) In your very first post in this thread you stated that you were "An outsider looking in" but yet you have posted some information as fact that only an "insider" would know. So which one is it? Are you an insider who is seriously lobbying and making an argument to get a coach in there that might benefit you in some way? Which,by the way, it appears that you are the only one on here who is lobbying for this particular person. Or are you by your own admittance"an outsider looking in" who has no earthly clue what hes talking about and just likes to shoot off his yapper? So which are you?
3Cat Wrote:Many will apply, many will not. Once siffted through a few will remain. 3-4 new names and 3-4 that have been around before. If your not a copley,salyer,mcnamee,mayham,mania what are you able to give to this program. Fresh start, I can remember being told that keno said with the hire of jackson that this is the man to lead us. They did not check his past close enough to see that he majored in school in the arts of SMOKE and MIRRORS.
It appears to me in this post that you dont care about this program. You just have an axe to grind. Why else would you name a high school kid by name and be almost celebratory in the fact that he didnt win state? Why would you make thinly veiled accusations about a coach who doesnt even coach here anyomore and talk about statements made by the former AD (Who Ill give you wasnt one of my favorite people either.) who retired. It just appears to me that its not that you want this program to get any better. You just want revenge for some reason on people who arent even involved with the program anymore. For "An outsider looking in" you seem to be awful bitter.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:It appears to me in this post that you dont care about this program. You just have an axe to grind. Why else would you name a high school kid by name and be almost celebratory in the fact that he didnt win state? Why would you make thinly veiled accusations about a coach who doesnt even coach here anyomore and talk about statements made by the former AD (Who Ill give you wasnt one of my favorite people either.) who retired. It just appears to me that its not that you want this program to get any better. You just want revenge for some reason on people who arent even involved with the program anymore. For "An outsider looking in" you seem to be awful bitter.

Don't know if he is bitter or not, but the last two sentences of his post are 100% accurate.

3Cat

The most qualified person for the job is within our school....Coach Copley

That's the only correct statement made in the entire post!!!!!
jetpilot Wrote:Don't know if he is bitter or not, but the last two sentences of his post are 100% accurate.
Yeah Ill give him the last 2. Although I dont think were talking about the same people.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Yeah Ill give him the last 2. Although I dont think were talking about the same people.

No. I'm talking about people with proven ability to get to Louisville. Not "he could be the next Hillard Howard."

John Chapman
Jason Howell
Ben Howard
Chris MacNamee

Get some (or preferably all) of these guys back on the staff, and you will be in Louisville watching the Panthers many times in the coming years.
jetpilot Wrote:No. I'm talking about people with proven ability to get to Louisville. Not "he could be the next Hillard Howard."

John Chapman
Jason Howell
Ben Howard
Chris MacNamee

Get some (or preferably all) of these guys back on the staff, and you will be in Louisville watching the Panthers many times in the coming years.
OK Im just trying to be realistic here. 2 of those guys have said on this very site that they wouldnt apply. And nobody really knows if the other 2 have applied or not. The 30 days they have to post the job is up this week. IMO we could possibly hear something by then. From what Im hearing the AD is recommending that we wait till March but I dont think that is a good idea.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:OK Im just trying to be realistic here. 2 of those guys have said on this very site that they wouldnt apply. And nobody really knows if the other 2 have applied or not. The 30 days they have to post the job is up this week. IMO we could possibly hear something by then. From what Im hearing the AD is recommending that we wait till March but I dont think that is a good idea.

Realistic is one of them has applied. That being the guy with 3 rings. The others might be willing to come as assistants. A big might, but just maybe.
BTW, why wait until March when you can get it done now?
  •  Previous
  • 12(current)
  • Next