•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School?
One more question that should be able to be answered by those of you that are close to the program. Will the new coach be able to bring any assistants with him? Will there be teaching positions available for the head coach and an assistant? (Most coaches want at least one they know is in his corner regardless)
Elwayfan Wrote:That's a rediculous statement. How do you you know how the whole community feels?
Pikeville needs someone that knows the kids and that the kids love playing for.
Pikeville needs Copley more than Copley needs Pikeville. If you look at what Copley has done with these kids since he's been there, then there's no way he shouldn't get the shot at head coach. The kids love him and will do anything for him. Look at the athletes he's made since taking over the weight training program. Heck, most of the coaches in the other sports are jealous of him because of how the kids respond to him. Coach Williams publicly acknowledged him and gave him due credit for making the players stronger and quicker during last season. Coach Preode also intrust Copley with his baseball players for their weight training. I would say that some key players on Pikeville's team will have alot to say before it's all finished. Pikeville's belly offense was put in place this past season by Copley, but he was'nt allowed to run it completely. Jackson wanted him concentrating more on the defense. Howard and some of these other coaches being mentioned on here run spread offenses, so why would a 2100 yard rusher want to come into his senior year on a team that likes to chuck it through the air 75% of the time. Remember that Ben Howard is not Hillard Howard( who was a wishbone belly coach). These are just some facts that I think are important to talk about.

You sound like a heck of guy who knows what he's talking about.
I love reading intelligence! It's pouring out! Keep it up, sock it to them and let everyone know who's the boss! I love the truth!
And you're sooo right, they are just jealous, plain and simple. Burn baby Burn:devilflam
SLICK RICK Wrote:Why didn't you get your suit at the excutive West when those coaches where here in 1999?
Oh Yeah, Because you didn't make it to Louisville.
So what makes you think things would be different this time?:confused: Smile

Executive West doesn't sell suits. It is a hotel.

Chapman wasn't with the team at the end of the year. Also Beechwood scored on two miracle wounded ducks in the last couple minutes with the help of some questionable penalties to beat Pikeville in the semis, then won the title by like 50. Let's just say most people would be thrilled to get the program on the level of 1999.
Elwayfan Wrote:That's a rediculous statement. How do you you know how the whole community feels?
Pikeville needs someone that knows the kids and that the kids love playing for.
Pikeville needs Copley more than Copley needs Pikeville. If you look at what Copley has done with these kids since he's been there, then there's no way he shouldn't get the shot at head coach. The kids love him and will do anything for him. Look at the athletes he's made since taking over the weight training program. Heck, most of the coaches in the other sports are jealous of him because of how the kids respond to him. Coach Williams publicly acknowledged him and gave him due credit for making the players stronger and quicker during last season. Coach Preode also intrust Copley with his baseball players for their weight training. I would say that some key players on Pikeville's team will have alot to say before it's all finished. Pikeville's belly offense was put in place this past season by Copley, but he was'nt allowed to run it completely. Jackson wanted him concentrating more on the defense. Howard and some of these other coaches being mentioned on here run spread offenses, so why would a 2100 yard rusher want to come into his senior year on a team that likes to chuck it through the air 75% of the time. Remember that Ben Howard is not Hillard Howard( who was a wishbone belly coach). These are just some facts that I think are important to talk about.

I don't think Copley will be the next HC at Pikeville. Time will tell.
SLICK RICK Wrote:You sound like a heck of guy who knows what he's talking about.
I love reading intelligence! It's pouring out! Keep it up, sock it to them and let everyone know who's the boss! I love the truth!
And you're sooo right, they are just jealous, plain and simple. Burn baby Burn:devilflam

Wow, get a room.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jetpilot Wrote:Executive West doesn't sell suits. It is a hotel.

Chapman wasn't with the team at the end of the year. Also Beechwood scored on two miracle wounded ducks in the last couple minutes with the help of some questionable penalties to beat Pikeville in the semis, then won the title by like 50. Let's just say most people would be thrilled to get the program on the level of 1999.

I don't want to hear any excuses the 1999 team lost. It doesn't matter how they lost they just lost. Oh Yea they lost why your beloved staff was there.
**SLICK RICK has been suspended for insinuating that members of a coaching staff committed illegal activities in a post that has now been deleted.

Let it be known that if anyone else does so, they will be suspended immediately.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jetpilot Wrote:Executive West doesn't sell suits. It is a hotel.

I was on the team and on the field that night at Beechwood. The calls were not questinable. Seth Scott got both of the 15 yard penalties that helped to put Pikeville away in that game. There was one questionable call in the game on a TD catch by Nick King that was called out of bounds. He was not out. These are not excuses just the facts as to why we lost.
TRAIN85 Wrote:I was on the team and on the field that night at Beechwood. The calls were not questinable. Seth Scott got both of the 15 yard penalties that helped to put Pikeville away in that game. There was one questionable call in the game on a TD catch by Nick King that was called out of bounds. He was not out. These are not excuses just the facts as to why we lost.

There was also a holding call after Pikeville got a first down while running the clock out late in the 4th that allowed Beechwood to get the ball back. My main point was Pikeville was the best team in Class A in '99. IMHO of course.
Pikeville had the game in hand at Beechwood in 1999. There was a "phantom" holding call after Pikeville got a first down...it was on a pass to Chase Gibson...with 2:30 to go. It should have been the game. Everyone forgets about the pass interference call on Chris Smiley on the Beechwood side of the field with less than a minute to go....which set them up inside the 20 yard line. Or, what about the rocks the Beechwood fans were throwing on the field when it was 20-10 PHS? No penalties thrown for that one. Pikeville was the best team in Class A in 1999.

This is not sour grapes, but someone needed to refresh the short memories of some. BTW-- TRAIN 85.... I was on the field too.
Would Pikeville hire someone from Belfry?

Hager from SC, Cassell, Tackett, and Varney from Belfry would all be a solid choice but all graduated from Belfry.

Would Pikeville do it or would the community support it?
It would not surprise me to see a current Belfry Assistant get the job! After all, Royce Mayo (a former Belfry Assistant Coach) has tremendous ties to that program.

Shawn Hager was one of Belfry's quarterbacks during Mayo's tenure there....he may also be a candidate!

Remember, by Kentucky School Law, the Principal makes the final call on hires!
What should be the goals of the new coach at Pikeville for next year and what does he need to get accomplished as far as program needs to get the Pikeville program back on track to win a state championship?
Cassell and Tackett have been with Haywood for over a decade. I'm not sure about Varney, but all of these guys know what it takes to win at a high level. If one of these guys or Hager were offered the job, I think the Pikeville community would welcome them with open arms. The negative side to taking that job would be the backlash from the Pond Creek Nation. Don't know if they would be welcomed back over there...................ever!!!
Matney would be the ultimate hire. Would rather have him than Guy Morris.:thatsfunn
LifeSentence Wrote:Cassell and Tackett have been with Haywood for over a decade. I'm not sure about Varney, but all of these guys know what it takes to win at a high level. If one of these guys or Hager were offered the job, I think the Pikeville community would welcome them with open arms. The negative side to taking that job would be the backlash from the Pond Creek Nation. Don't know if they would be welcomed back over there...................ever!!!

The PNC would hold no ill will, some would have their feelings hurt, but that is a great opportunity at Pikeville.

Varney younger than the others but has a great football mind and has been on staff for a little under 10 years.

The other 2 are more like 15.

I think this is where Pikeville should look first, but who is even to say they would leave.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Matney would be the ultimate hire. Would rather have him than Guy Morris.:thatsfunn

I think JC is paying Matney in excess of 100K. Pikeville can't pay that well. They pay the best in the state for teachers and pay 10 K maybe for coaching, but even that won't get to 100K. But if he is willing to take a pay cut, maybe...
NEXT Wrote:The PNC would hold no ill will, some would have their feelings hurt, but that is a great opportunity at Pikeville.

Varney younger than the others but has a great football mind and has been on staff for a little under 10 years.

The other 2 are more like 15.

I think this is where Pikeville should look first, but who is even to say they would leave.

Agreed!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Matt Varney is a very good young coach! He has been on staff for two state championships and is a Belfry High School Hall of Famer!
God of Thunder Wrote:Matt Varney is a very good young coach! He has been on staff for two state championships and is a Belfry High School Hall of Famer!

I wasn't really sure about how long he had been there. Thanks for the info and he does sound as if he is a great coach!!

EDITED QUOTE::

That would be Coach Kevin Deskins that just moved up to the high school from the middle school.
Where are all of the Copley fans hiding? We haven't heard from them in a while?
Dream_Weaver Wrote:That would be Coach Kevin Deskins that just moved up to the high school from the middle school.

Thanks Dream_Weaver for clarifying that for me!! AFTER I heard the first name of the other coach I immediatly knew who it was.... Thanks again!!

God of Thunder Wrote:Matt Varney is a very good young coach! He has been on staff for two state championships and is a Belfry High School Hall of Famer!
What happened to " Alumists need to take the program back" as you said in your previous post? First you say that someone who is from Pikeville should get the job now your recommending someone from Belfry of all places to coach at Pikeville? Which one is it?
NEXT Wrote:Would Pikeville hire someone from Belfry?

Hager from SC, Cassell, Tackett, and Varney from Belfry would all be a solid choice but all graduated from Belfry.

Would Pikeville do it or would the community support it?

That would sure heat the rivalry back up wouldn't it, Royce Mayo is well respected by his friends on Pond Creek and there is no doubt that a great hire will be made. Hager is firmly planted in the Inez community now (family, children, etc) and would those from BHS mentioned look good in maroon! If Mayo called most would listen just out of respect for him.
What Everyone Must Realize, Royce Mayo Has The Final Say. He Will Make The Best Pick.
I was only commenting on another post! I would not necessarily like the hire!
Pikeville has got their work cut out for them if they are going to get back on top of class A football. Hazard has all of their team back from last season and some of the best young talent around, coming up through their Middle school program. I hope who every gets the job don't think they have years to build the program back up. Pikeville fans want to win now!!!!
State Champs Wrote:Pikeville has got their work cut out for them if they are going to get back on top of class A football. Hazard has all of their team back from last season and some of the best young talent around, coming up through their Middle school program. I hope who every gets the job don't think they have years to build the program back up. Pikeville fans want to win now!!!!

Hazard and Lexington Christian are the only teams that I see getting in the Panthers next year in 1A. Now on the other hand, Belfry and Cath are giants compared to Pikeville. Even bigger when your @
UKRULES Wrote:I think JC is paying Matney in excess of 100K. Pikeville can't pay that well. They pay the best in the state for teachers and pay 10 K maybe for coaching, but even that won't get to 100K. But if he is willing to take a pay cut, maybe...

May be time to do a public record request of the salaries in Johnson County. If Matney is making this much, I am sure the booster club or some other agency is supplementing his salary. Regardless of who is supplementing the funds all monies that make up Matney's pay must still be given to the district, who would then take out taxes and retirement and cut him a check.

It would be interesting to see what kind of package they put together for him. Even if Matney is not interested maybe Pikeville could put together a "package" for their future coach. This could attract some big names.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next