Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville Baseball '08
OMG Wrote:oh ok thanks i guess that would make sense why i hadn't heard of him...
You haven't heard much of Humphrey but he's started CF for 2 years and this will be his 3rd but yet, you are a Tiger fan.

Wink

Humphrey could have a big year.
Augie Garrido Wrote:You haven't heard much of Humphrey but he's started CF for 2 years and this will be his 3rd but yet, you are a Tiger fan.

Wink

Humphrey could have a big year.

i dont understand what your getting at...i knew humphrey had been on the team for two years, and the rest of the players on the team i had known growing up through the little league program....humphrey wasnt one of those that i knew from little league thats why i was asking about him...

this is just a rediculus argument i dont even understand what your trying to prove i simply asked about a kid that was new to the tiger program...

ive been involved with the little league for many years and i like to keep up with the kids that come through it and i had not heard of this kid except for the past couple of years..i think if you'll read all the posts you'll see thats what i was getting at....YOUR A BIGGER TIGER FAN THAN ME!!! is that what you needed to hear?
OMG Wrote:i dont understand what your getting at...i knew humphrey had been on the team for two years, and the rest of the players on the team i had known growing up through the little league program....humphrey wasnt one of those that i knew from little league thats why i was asking about him...

this is just a rediculus argument i dont even understand what your trying to prove i simply asked about a kid that was new to the tiger program...

ive been involved with the little league for many years and i like to keep up with the kids that come through it and i had not heard of this kid except for the past couple of years..i think if you'll read all the posts you'll see thats what i was getting at....YOUR A BIGGER TIGER FAN THAN ME!!! is that what you needed to hear?

Don't know what the point is either, I follow you. He must not have read all of the posts. Anyway, lets get back on topic.

I think the Tigers are going to be very solid this year. I just hope the coaching staff uses the players in the best positions and batting order. That is crucial to the success of any team.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Don't know what the point is either, I follow you. He must not have read all of the posts. Anyway, lets get back on topic.

I think the Tigers are going to be very solid this year. I just hope the coaching staff uses the players in the best positions and batting order. That is crucial to the success of any team.
Agreed.....let us pray................................................................................
..............................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................
.....................................................................................Amen!
The Guru Wrote:Agreed.....let us pray................................................................................
.....................................................................................Amen!

haha its nice to see you haven't lost your sense of humor, haha.....
EKY Sportster Wrote:Don't know what the point is either, I follow you. He must not have read all of the posts. Anyway, lets get back on topic.

Praying right now.
I know prayers can do anything....but come on........................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i think everyone is praying for that..haha..
I've been reading these posts for a while and finally I signed up just to comment... it seems that some of the posts are directed toward the coaching staff and are based on some parents opinions about their own kids playing time.. true Coach howard has imo made some mistakes in the past but he puts in the work and effort for the program....so let's give him a chance this season and stand behind the program.....
some over looked facts for the line up are players past years performance and how much travel ball and work they put in the high school off season..

Some of the kids that probably expect playing time , more than likely have not worked much toward that goal in the off season...

line-up based on facts

reference the ky high school coaches web site for offense. best offensive performers were pugh, adams, sublett, vanhoose...in that order they were in the top of almost every offensive category.......and adams led the state in runs scored.....vanhoose and adams are back this year thus they should be placed in the position to do the most damage....Grimm also a good hitter..next in line

1. Corey Humphrey (CF probably the fastest in the region)
2. Zach vialpando 2b (great glove,, Hits ball for base hits to R side)
3. Corey Adams C (Hits more for power and looks to be stronger this year)
4.Shane Grimm 1b P (hits for power and contact whatever is needed)
5.J.D. Vanhoose ss (hits much like grimm so , could interchange)

from this point this years performance should dictate the order but this should be a good starting point.

6. Dillon Brown 3b ( has been good contact hitter in the past)
7. Travis ison lf ( needs to proove glove and bat to move up)
8.tyler lemaster / Austin lyons/ Seth alex Rice/ (dh, p 3b,1b)
9. Pat Butcher RF ( has great speed , bat needs work , can bunt

Also there are a few younger kids and a couple of returning palyers who might be able to step into a role but remain yet unproven!!!!

This , keep in mind this is only my opinion..but largely based on past performance and off season effort placed toward the development of skills...not how well I know the kid or their parents!!!
again I appoligize for the delay in responce but I just signed up..However in responce to Mr. Kimball

I think that if you try to compare JD to Dp...there is no comparison..I agree
However, I don't think that either one of these players is a prototype ss ..Dp is a great player and I'm sure his new coach would agree..but his best position is not ss...and jd's best position is also not ss but for lack of a better one he should be the starter there this year...and he does have surprising depth and range there despite slow feet he seems to gravitate toward the ball better from that side of the field and I would bet that he will put up just as good defensive stats as dp did...Maybe better....I personally hope that he can find what's missing with his arm and have a good year on the mound...he has always had a lot of potiential there as well...
in re: to corey humphrey....imo he's agreat defensive player very quick and good glove.....also made several throws from cf to the plate to keep runners from scoring.......his offense does not glare out at you because he has hit in the 2 hole where he has sacrificed many at bats to move runners into scoring position which helped account for many of the runs paintsville scored last season.....he seems satisfied in that role and he is good at it..this kid is a team player and is very valuable to the offense in this regard
INSIGHT Wrote:again I appoligize for the delay in responce but I just signed up..However in responce to Mr. Kimball

However, I don't think that either one of these players is a prototype ss ..Dp is a great player and I'm sure his new coach would agree..but his best position is not ss...and jd's best position is also not ss but for lack of a better one he should be the starter there this year...and he does have surprising depth and range there despite slow feet he seems to gravitate toward the ball better from that side of the field and I would bet that he will put up just as good defensive stats as dp did...Maybe better....I personally hope that he can find what's missing with his arm and have a good year on the mound...he has always had a lot of potiential there as well...

i agree i hope vanhoose can get it together on the mound, it would make paintsville's season much more competitive, but im gonna have to disagree with the DP and JD comments...i just dont think that JD has the ability to be "better" than DP at all...DP was a great players and i may get surprised this year but DP could get a jump on a ball as good as i seen in the region last season, and i think that will be JD's downfall...if he does start to get his reaction down off the swing and can read the angle of the bat better i think he could really improve and become a productive ss, but i still dont think he can ever surpass DP...IMO
OMG Wrote:i agree i hope vanhoose can get it together on the mound, it would make paintsville's season much more competitive, but im gonna have to disagree with the DP and JD comments...i just dont think that JD has the ability to be "better" than DP at all...DP was a great players and i may get surprised this year but DP could get a jump on a ball as good as i seen in the region last season, and i think that will be JD's downfall...if he does start to get his reaction down off the swing and can read the angle of the bat better i think he could really improve and become a productive ss, but i still dont think he can ever surpass DP...IMO
Agree. Completely.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
INSIGHT Wrote:again I appoligize for the delay in responce but I just signed up..However in responce to Mr. Kimball

I respect your opinion. You have made a couple of good points in both of your posts, but some parts I will respectfully disagree with you on.

One thing that you will not see on the stat sheet is the ability of a fielder to get to a ball that might get through the hole or up the middle. Sometimes just knocking the ball down can be considered a vital play even if the runner happens to be able to still get on base by way of an infield single. It sometimes keeps an existing runner from maybe scoring on a hit up the middle or one hit in the gap. There is a reason why middle infielders are required at the next level to be able to run in the 6.7 to 6.8 range. A 7.0 flat at the worst. With just a wild guess, I am going to say that VanHoose is in the 7.4 to 7.5 range. You cant even play 1st base at the next level with those numbers unless you are Mark McGuire. You have to have speed and quickness to potentialy make those plays. I guess what I am trying to say is that perhaps even though one player may have statictical numbers better than another may not be a great indicator of whom the better choice to play the position is. To be honest I dont think there was the first player in the 15th region able to play shortstop at the next level to begin with. Considering the fact of the required ability of speed and quickness, the only two with a remote possibility was either Blanton or Pugh. And in my opinion, neither one had the glove , but they did possess the speed and quickness factor. VanHoose may in deed be Paintsville's best option to play the position this year, but the original debate was the statement that VanHoose should have been the starting short stop the last several years over Pugh. No way. I think it is very evident that Pugh is a much better outfielder than infielder, especially at the next level. However, IMO, Paintsville's staff had the right people in the right spot last season at that position.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I respect your opinion. You have made a couple of good points in both of your posts, but some parts I will respectfully disagree with you on.

One thing that you will not see on the stat sheet is the ability of a fielder to get to a ball that might get through the hole or up the middle. Sometimes just knocking the ball down can be considered a vital play even if the runner happens to be able to still get on base by way of an infield single. It sometimes keeps an existing runner from maybe scoring on a hit up the middle or one hit in the gap. There is a reason why middle infielders are required at the next level to be able to run in the 6.7 to 6.8 range. With just a wild guess, I am going to say that VanHoose is in the 7.4 to 7.5 range. You have to have speed and quickness to potentialy make those plays. I guess what I am trying to say is that perhaps even though one player may have statictical numbers better than another may not be a great indicator of whom the better choice to play the position is. To be honest I dont think there was the first player in the 15th region able to play shortstop at the next level to begin with. Considering the fact of the required ability of speed and quickness, the only two with a remote possibility was either Blanton or Pugh. And in my opinion, neither one had the glove , but they did possess the speed and quickness factor. VanHoose may in deed be Paintsville's best option to play the position this year, but the original debate was the statement that VanHoose should have been the starting short stop the last several years over Pugh. No way. I think it is very evident that Pugh is a much better outfielder than infielder, especially at the next level. However, IMO, Paintsville's staff had the right people in the right spot last season at that position.

Shew......you just like to argue this!!!
Are you sure you are not MRS. Kimble?Wink Big Grin
The Guru Wrote:Shew......you just like to argue this!!!
Are you sure you are not MRS. Kimble?Wink Big Grin
Hey, she says I just like to argue, period. But then, I learned it all from her anyways.Smile
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I respect your opinion. You have made a couple of good points in both of your posts, but some parts I will respectfully disagree with you on.

One thing that you will not see on the stat sheet is the ability of a fielder to get to a ball that might get through the hole or up the middle. Sometimes just knocking the ball down can be considered a vital play even if the runner happens to be able to still get on base by way of an infield single. It sometimes keeps an existing runner from maybe scoring on a hit up the middle or one hit in the gap. There is a reason why middle infielders are required at the next level to be able to run in the 6.7 to 6.8 range. A 7.0 flat at the worst. With just a wild guess, I am going to say that VanHoose is in the 7.4 to 7.5 range. You cant even play 1st base at the next level with those numbers unless you are Mark McGuire. You have to have speed and quickness to potentialy make those plays. I guess what I am trying to say is that perhaps even though one player may have statictical numbers better than another may not be a great indicator of whom the better choice to play the position is. To be honest I dont think there was the first player in the 15th region able to play shortstop at the next level to begin with. Considering the fact of the required ability of speed and quickness, the only two with a remote possibility was either Blanton or Pugh. And in my opinion, neither one had the glove , but they did possess the speed and quickness factor. VanHoose may in deed be Paintsville's best option to play the position this year, but the original debate was the statement that VanHoose should have been the starting short stop the last several years over Pugh. No way. I think it is very evident that Pugh is a much better outfielder than infielder, especially at the next level. However, IMO, Paintsville's staff had the right people in the right spot last season at that position.

thats pretty much what i said, well put, way to go into a lot more detail and make me look bad...just kidding...
OMG Wrote:thats pretty much what i said, well put, way to go into a lot more detail and make me look bad...just kidding...
I guess I've always taken the long way around every thing I do...... lol
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I guess I've always taken the long way around every thing I do...... lol

oh well i guess i let it slide, jk....atleast its good to see people post who actually know what they are talking about...thats few and far between on here...haha..just kidding everybody please dont report me..lol
OMG Wrote:oh well i guess i let it slide, jk....atleast its good to see people post who actually know what they are talking about...thats few and far between on here...haha..just kidding everybody please dont report me..lol
You can report people on here??? This is gonna be fun.......................Confusedhh:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:You can report people on here??? This is gonna be fun.......................Confusedhh:

haha yeh unfortunately the law is everywhere...
let me correct my position on this post... I agree that dp has more speed than jd.. gloves about the same..jd probably with the better arm when he decides he should use it..... just like the situtation with paintsville this year ...DP fell in to the situtation that we really did not have a better alternative at the time ..and I think that it was the right choice to play him there initially...but in a perfect world.....after all the errors at that position in the 07 season...a change could have been made..not being a perfect world that would have destroyed the team focus as Dp was the team leader and remains one kid that I would choose to have as my team leader..great kid unbeatable work ethic....Mr. Kimble we both know , However that he is not a short stop.but that he may have been paintsville's only choice last season...
INSIGHT Wrote:let me correct my position on this post... I agree that dp has more speed than jd.. gloves about the same..jd probably with the better arm when he decides he should use it..... just like the situtation with paintsville this year ...DP fell in to the situtation that we really did not have a better alternative at the time ..and I think that it was the right choice to play him there initially...but in a perfect world.....after all the errors at that position in the 07 season...a change could have been made..not being a perfect world that would have destroyed the team focus as Dp was the team leader and remains one kid that I would choose to have as my team leader..great kid unbeatable work ethic....Mr. Kimble we both know , However that he is not a short stop.but that he may have been paintsville's only choice last season...

DP was a very good high school SS, what are you suggesting that he is then...obvoiusly you had another option in Jd, but DP was your obvious choice because he was and is great shortstop...
Let me see if I can enlighten some of you on the supposedly, all the errors, that Pugh committed. I saw a lot of games that paintsville played last year and I don't recall these errors. Yes he had some errors but I think a lot of these resulted in the range he had getting to ball's that were deep in the hole to either side of him. I saw a few E's given to him because the 1st baseman was out of position, stretches out before the throw was delivered, and couldn't handle the short hop. Had Grim been at 1st I think a lot of those balls would have been handled. His range was excelent. He knocked balls down that no one else on this team could have gotten to. The only other kid to get to as many balls as Pugh would have been the Blanton kid at JC IMO.
As far as arm strength goes you can't compare Van Hoose to Pugh becaus JD has yet to show his. He's had arm trouble since the 8th grade.
What you people need to do is look at Mr. Kimble's posts, from what I've he seems to be one of a very few who can evaluate a player pretty well.
kyrifle Wrote:Let me see if I can enlighten some of you on the supposedly, all the errors, that Pugh committed. I saw a lot of games that paintsville played last year and I don't recall these errors. Yes he had some errors but I think a lot of these resulted in the range he had getting to ball's that were deep in the hole to either side of him. I saw a few E's given to him because the 1st baseman was out of position, stretches out before the throw was delivered, and couldn't handle the short hop. Had Grim been at 1st I think a lot of those balls would have been handled. His range was excelent. He knocked balls down that no one else on this team could have gotten to. The only other kid to get to as many balls as Pugh would have been the Blanton kid at JC IMO.
As far as arm strength goes you can't compare Van Hoose to Pugh becaus JD has yet to show his. He's had arm trouble since the 8th grade.
What you people need to do is look at Mr. Kimble's posts, from what I've he seems to be one of a very few who can evaluate a player pretty well.

You can't be serious blaming some of Pugh's errors on Subby. Sublett had errors at first, everyone who touches the ball on a consistent basis has errors but to blame Pugh's errors on Subby is ridiculous. Sublett was one of the better first basemen this side of the state last year. Have you ever happened to see Subby dig for a short hop at 1st?? I guess his inabilities is why he's starting at the next level. Grimm is a heck of a baseball player no doubt, but I didn't see any reason why he should've been starting first. He'll be lucky to be starting first with the two that's coming up.
The Blue Blur Wrote:You can't be serious blaming some of Pugh's errors on Subby. Sublett had errors at first, everyone who touches the ball on a consistent basis has errors but to blame Pugh's errors on Subby is ridiculous. Sublett was one of the better first basemen this side of the state last year. Have you ever happened to see Subby dig for a short hop at 1st?? I guess his inabilities is why he's starting at the next level. Grimm is a heck of a baseball player no doubt, but I didn't see any reason why he should've been starting first. He'll be lucky to be starting first with the two that's coming up.
Not blaming Subby for all the ones he missed, just the one's he was stretched out for that he didn't have to stretch for. As far as being one of the best at that position we'll have to disagree. Not your prototypical 1st baseman, which is about 6'3". I like Subby very much but I liked him better at another position rather than 1st. JMO.....
Then where would you like to see Subby play at? Since that is the position that got him to college and thats what he is playing at college. I looks like your the only one that doesnt like Subby at 1st.
This compareson stuff is over for me. We'll see when the spring signing is over where everyone has signed to play. Bottom line Pugh is competing and playing at a D1 school, he's moved on. How about everyone else doing the same.
BassMaster08 Wrote:Then where would you like to see Subby play at? Since that is the position that got him to college and thats what he is playing at college. I looks like your the only one that doesnt like Subby at 1st.

I personally think he would have been a pretty good outfielder. Had adquate speed and enough arm to play there.
kyrifle Wrote:I personally think he would have been a pretty good outfielder. Had adquate speed and enough arm to play there.

Very easily could've been an outfielder, but I think Tucker liked his abilities at first. Obviously the coach at Pikeville College feels the same way. You can disagree with me but he was named first basemen for the Big Sandy News' all area team. Selected to play in the East-West All-Star game playing at first base. Prototypical is nothing in the game, that all looks good on paper. I guess many thought that about the 6 foot even Jeff Bagwell. I've not seen Shane Grimm make any great plays at first. Maybe if he put half the effort into playing the field that he does into pitching or on the basketball court, he'd be a fine first baseman. Like I said with the two that are coming up, he'll be lucky to see time at first even though that's where you want to see him at.