Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville Baseball '08
BassMaster08 Wrote:Then where would you like to see Subby play at? Since that is the position that got him to college and thats what he is playing at college. I looks like your the only one that doesnt like Subby at 1st.

i like subby a whole lot but im concerned he's not going to see much time if any in college...his inability to hit a curve has really hindered him over the years and i will agree with some that grimm is a better first baseman...i really like subby he's a good kid but i wish he would have went and tried out alice loyd....
The Blue Blur Wrote:Very easily could've been an outfielder, but I think Tucker liked his abilities at first. Obviously the coach at Pikeville College feels the same way. You can disagree with me but he was named first basemen for the Big Sandy News' all area team. Selected to play in the East-West All-Star game playing at first base. Prototypical is nothing in the game, that all looks good on paper. I guess many thought that about the 6 foot even Jeff Bagwell. I've not seen Shane Grimm make any great plays at first. Maybe if he put half the effort into playing the field that he does into pitching or on the basketball court, he'd be a fine first baseman. Like I said with the two that are coming up, he'll be lucky to see time at first even though that's where you want to see him at.

Are you saying that Seth and Austin are the best choices for Paintsville's First baseman?
I actually heard that Subby was the starter at 1st base for Pikeville.
BassMaster08 Wrote:I actually heard that Subby was the starter at 1st base for Pikeville.

no i dont think so, they actually have a new guy from the dominican republic that will be at first base...unfortunately i dont think he will see the field, i hate that for him, but from what some others from paintsville who are closer to him than i am have told me, his hitting just isn't there right now, hard adjusting to college pitching and of course the college changeup...
Again, I will try to clear up my opinion on dp this kid is a great baseball player and athelete but imo his skills are better suited for another position and paintsville's team did make many errors in the infield last season..but probably the numbers did not exceed that of a routine season..I really don't think these forums should be used to bash any high school athletes..they are all going to make mistakes and some will learn from them and get better and others won't
I hope that jd will have a good season at ss this year....and maybe he can prove his ability.......
You know, I'm not sure why all the talk about DP and Sub, look where they're at, playing college ball AND g
INSIGHT Wrote:Again, I will try to clear up my opinion on dp this kid is a great baseball player and athelete but imo his skills are better suited for another position and paintsville's team did make many errors in the infield last season..but probably the numbers did not exceed that of a routine season..I really don't think these forums should be used to bash any high school athletes..they are all going to make mistakes and some will learn from them and get better and others won't
I hope that jd will have a good season at ss this year....and maybe he can prove his ability.......

well obviously theres no chance at having a discussion with someone who keeps reposting the same thing, we know your opinion, but we just disagree, thats all, its fine, im not mad, are you mad? i think dp is better at ss and you dont so we agree to disagree and i can live with that..
blackwidow Wrote:You know, I'm not sure why all the talk about DP and Sub, look where they're at, playing college ball AND g
(if the moderator would delete this I would be grateful....hit the send too soon)

I'm not so sure why the talk about DP and Sub on a thread about '08 baseball. They're both getting an education AND playing baseball in college. What more could anyone ask for.

The '08 Tigers are going to be fine, regardless who plays where.
blackwidow Wrote:(if the moderator would delete this I would be grateful....hit the send too soon)

I'm not so sure why the talk about DP and Sub on a thread about '08 baseball. They're both getting an education AND playing baseball in college. What more could anyone ask for.

The '08 Tigers are going to be fine, regardless who plays where.

it did get off track, but we were talking about the ss position and it took a different turn, but go ahead and start i back up...nobody else was talking about anything different so .....
OMG Wrote:no i dont think so, they actually have a new guy from the dominican republic that will be at first base...unfortunately i dont think he will see the field, i hate that for him, but from what some others from paintsville who are closer to him than i am have told me, his hitting just isn't there right now, hard adjusting to college pitching and of course the college changeup...

Actually started their opener at 1st and went 2 for 4 at the plate.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Actually started their opener at 1st and went 2 for 4 at the plate.

huh? well i would hope you didn't make that up off the top of your head, so ill take your word for it..haha just kidding...last time i spoke with subby he told me about some dominican and he was pretty worried he wouldn't get any playing time so i guess things have changed, thats good though im glad he's doing well...it was right after christmas break when i talked to him so i guess things had time too change..thanks for the update...
OMG Wrote:huh? well i would hope you didn't make that up off the top of your head, so ill take your word for it..haha just kidding...last time i spoke with subby he told me about some dominican and he was pretty worried he wouldn't get any playing time so i guess things have changed, thats good though im glad he's doing well...it was right after christmas break when i talked to him so i guess things had time too change..thanks for the update...

Actually IMO Subby is a better all-around player than the "dominican." Kyle started the first game and performed well from the plate. He will split time at first for now with two others until after the spring break trip. Depending on how he performs will determine what two players are going to rotate during the conference schedule.
OMG Wrote:huh? well i would hope you didn't make that up off the top of your head, so ill take your word for it..haha just kidding...last time i spoke with subby he told me about some dominican and he was pretty worried he wouldn't get any playing time so i guess things have changed, thats good though im glad he's doing well...it was right after christmas break when i talked to him so i guess things had time too change..thanks for the update...

No he didn't make it up. And if you can believe anyone on what Subby did yesturday you can sure as heck believe me. Started and went 2-4! Best 1st basemen in the 15th last year. He will be missed there this year.
OffTheHook Wrote:No he didn't make it up. And if you can believe anyone on what Subby did yesturday you can sure as heck believe me. Started and went 2-4! Best 1st basemen in the 15th last year. He will be missed there this year.

buddy read my post i said i believed him, it had been awhile since i spoke with subby and he was concerned about playing time last time i talked to him...read it im not writing it again...subby is a great guy and player and i still keep in touch with him and im glad he's playing, idk what your talking about...
INSIGHT Wrote:I've been reading these posts for a while and finally I signed up just to comment... it seems that some of the posts are directed toward the coaching staff and are based on some parents opinions about their own kids playing time.. true Coach howard has imo made some mistakes in the past but he puts in the work and effort for the program....so let's give him a chance this season and stand behind the program.....
some over looked facts for the line up are players past years performance and how much travel ball and work they put in the high school off season..

Some of the kids that probably expect playing time , more than likely have not worked much toward that goal in the off season...

line-up based on facts

reference the ky high school coaches web site for offense. best offensive performers were pugh, adams, sublett, vanhoose...in that order they were in the top of almost every offensive category.......and adams led the state in runs scored.....vanhoose and adams are back this year thus they should be placed in the position to do the most damage....Grimm also a good hitter..next in line

1. Corey Humphrey (CF probably the fastest in the region)
2. Zach vialpando 2b (great glove,, Hits ball for base hits to R side)
3. Corey Adams C (Hits more for power and looks to be stronger this year)
4.Shane Grimm 1b P (hits for power and contact whatever is needed)
5.J.D. Vanhoose ss (hits much like grimm so , could interchange)

from this point this years performance should dictate the order but this should be a good starting point.

6. Dillon Brown 3b ( has been good contact hitter in the past)
7. Travis ison lf ( needs to proove glove and bat to move up)
8.tyler lemaster / Austin lyons/ Seth alex Rice/ (dh, p 3b,1b)
9. Pat Butcher RF ( has great speed , bat needs work , can bunt

Also there are a few younger kids and a couple of returning palyers who might be able to step into a role but remain yet unproven!!!!

This , keep in mind this is only my opinion..but largely based on past performance and off season effort placed toward the development of skills...not how well I know the kid or their parents!!!
I have a few ?? about your views....
First...You say there are younger kids and returning players that are not yet proven that could step in, but then contradict yourself by inserting 5 kids into starting roles that are unproven as well. Heck...Lemaster isn't even playing. But you consider them as proven? I am not saying that they couldn't perform, because I feel they can. I love Ison to death but can't for the life of me figure out why, if you think he needs to prove himself with his glove and bat, but you stick him in the outfield when he has played infield 95% of his career.
I agree that returning starters such as Hump, Adams, Butcher, Vanhoose, Grimm and Ison should probably get the nod, but I think the rest of the spots are up for grabs.
The Guru Wrote:I have a few ?? about your views....
First...You say there are younger kids and returning players that are not yet proven that could step in, but then contradict yourself by inserting 5 kids into starting roles that are unproven as well. Heck...Lemaster isn't even playing. But you consider them as proven? I am not saying that they couldn't perform, because I feel they can. I love Ison to death but can't for the life of me figure out why, if you think he needs to prove himself with his glove and bat, but you stick him in the outfield when he has played infield 95% of his career.
I agree that returning starters such as Hump, Adams, Butcher, Vanhoose, Grimm and Ison should probably get the nod, but I think the rest of the spots are up for grabs.

yeh i agree with you those 6 should have their positions locked up, they have too much experience not to know their gonna start..they do have a few spots that are completely up for grabs..
OMG Wrote:buddy read my post i said i believed him, it had been awhile since i spoke with subby and he was concerned about playing time last time i talked to him...read it im not writing it again...subby is a great guy and player and i still keep in touch with him and im glad he's playing, idk what your talking about...

Buddy....chill. All I was doing was letting you know it was the truth. No need to be so defensive. Nobody said anything wrong. Rolleyes
GURU, sounds like you were offended personally,, first of all I did not contradict myself at all...lemaster has a good glove and bat and has pitched varsity ball
that is proven...dillon brown hit well in varsity and jv last year..travis ison is not an infielder and if you can't see that then you did not see very many games the last couple of years..but he is a senior and we need his bat if it is more consistant this year...he played outfield for charlie adkins his freshman year as well......if paintsville has a better second baseman than vialpando , I would like to know who you think it is...may i remind you that he also had some key hits at the varsity level last year. don't get me wrong...i did not rule out anyone from a starting pos..but austin or seth alex will be in line up right or wrong....so to me that does not leave a lot of room maybe 1 pos and that will depend on who's pithing..and for the record i stated where I think the kids should play ...ie: ison, I don't think that will happen but I do think paintsville would be stronger if it worked out that way......who did I leave out that you think should be in the line up, and why?
INSIGHT Wrote:GURU, sounds like you were offended personally,, first of all I did not contradict myself at all...lemaster has a good glove and bat and has pitched varsity ball
that is proven...dillon brown hit well in varsity and jv last year..travis ison is not an infielder and if you can't see that then you did not see very many games the last couple of years..but he is a senior and we need his bat if it is more consistant this year...he played outfield for charlie adkins his freshman year as well......if paintsville has a better second baseman than vialpando , I would like to know who you think it is...may i remind you that he also had some key hits at the varsity level last year. don't get me wrong...i did not rule out anyone from a starting pos..but austin or seth alex will be in line up right or wrong....so to me that does not leave a lot of room maybe 1 pos and that will depend on who's pithing..and for the record i stated where I think the kids should play ...ie: ison, I don't think that will happen but I do think paintsville would be stronger if it worked out that way......who did I leave out that you think should be in the line up, and why?

I am not offended and don't see how I came off that way after re reading my post. I just pointed out that you seemed to be putting a line up together with half the line up with very little exp. And say the rest need to prove themselves.

V is a great second baseman and I do look for him to be our regular at that position.
I am not sure he is as strong at the plate as you feel, but is very capable and smart.

Dyllon has proven to be a good back up for Adams and is a good hitter. He has not had much work defensively anywhere but catching at varsity so, befor I would automatically put him into the starting line up, I think he needs to show that there is a position out there that he is ready to claim.

Austin and Seth may get auto bids as everyday players, but I hope it would be because of earned. I would like to think that anyway. But....in all honesty, 1st base is about the only place and I think Grimm is very far ahead of them at that spot. Not saying they can't beat him out.

Travis played how much outfield for Adkins? a few innings?
You say he is not an infielder, then why for the last 2 years has he been the utility infielder?

As far as the outfield goes, Hump, Butcher, Grimm and Cyrus are our best four and there is not a lot of difference between them if you consider all aspects.

Cyrus and Grimm manned LF last year and had about the same speed and glove, Grimm had a stronger arm(but he had the strongest of any)but Cyrus' arm is more accurate. makes them about dead even.

I know Jake will get a chance to become an every day player and with his added size strength and speed from last year, I think he might just. His bat was not strong last year, but he never knew if he was gonna hit or not. But I would put his K's to plate appearances up there with anyone on the team.

I guess what I am saying is that with Grimm at first, Cyrus, Hump and Butcher in the outfield. It looks like a strong defense can be fielded by the Tigers.

One thing though....I would give a few games befor I started using DH. Nothing like destroying a kids confidence by not showing that you even had any in him.

Adams behind the plate, with JD and V gives a very solid middle D, Ison at third.

Yeah....I could live with that D.
From anything I have seen from the outside, I, personally don't know why the lineup would be ANY other way than what Guru has configured. IF you are wanting to win and that is your main goal. What spots ya really got to fill from last year's great team...LF if Grimm goes to 1B for Sub, and 2B if Jd goes to SS? I dont know of anyone but Cyrus in LF and V at 2B for those spots. Austin would be my choice for 1B when Grimm throwing, then he will also get his starts on the hill, so ya could almost pencil him in as an everyday also. Work the couple other young guys in, a game a week or sumthin of the sort, and that looks like the team to beat in the 15th this year. Will it happen that way? I am not real sure. We all know who makes the final calls, so hopefully they go in with an open mind and put the best out there for the teams best interest. With all that talent, it would be hard to mess up what should be another great season for the Tigers, but also very easily derailed if alot of shakeups go on. Good luck anyways. Im sure we will see a long run this year in the postseason.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I cannot presumeably answer why a paticular coach makes decesions, maybe he views talent differently maybe he does not want to interupt a team dynamic..but imo ison should be in the outfield it might take off some pressure he puts on himself in the infield and give him more confidence which could carry over to the plate...

to say that Humphrey, grimm, butcher and cyrus are the same level of talent imo is simply absurd....so I won't even argue this point any longer.

I do agree with you that a DH might not be needed initally depending on how the line up is set. and who is hitting the ball well this season..

you highlighted my comment about the younger players and the returning players.....I don't see any of either that have proven anything as of yet...but this a new season...in the scenario which I think you are suggesting, if it is used I think you will see a Dh in the 8 hole...paintsville scored a lot of runs last season and they are missing big rbi production from pugh and sublett which must be picked up by adams humphrey vanhoose and grimm and the next 5 hitters must be able to get on base and score this is why I picked brown ,vialpando and lemaster good contact hitters.....i think lyons and rice hit well last season .

also grimm is an excellent outfielder when not pitching and will probably rotate
of and 1b to give a stronger def line up depending who is on the mound.
Shew, you're really wanting those corner infield spots opened up, aren't ya, with the constant talk of Ison and now Grimm going back to the outfield? If Ison is taken off 3rd base for Brown, as you are saying, Coach Howard needs his head checked. Nuthin personal, Coach, but gee-oh.
And what's the deal? Is LeMaster playing this year or what? Anyone know?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
By the way, anyone got any ideas of what the rotation is gonna look like this year? Ive got my ideas, but wonder what you Tiger folks know about the situation. Who they are? How many deep they prob use?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey...I'm not the one making absurd player comparisons and any way the corners will probably be filled with lyons , rice and grimm will rotate from 1b to lf to p if things go the way I predict. but I absolutely am not trying to adjust the line-up for a single player nor am I overrating one players ability to justify a position, but simply rotations that look based on past performances and coaching tendencies to be realistic possibilities...I have no favorites in this race.

I am not saying that grimm should not play 1b but if rice and lyons are in the game and not pitching and they will be, they can only play the corners and grimm being a strong outfielder with a strong arm should be in lf under these circumstances....and appearently lemasters status is in question so I'll take him out of the equation for now but that leaves a kid like brown who can be a valuable player in the field . back up for adams now but should be able to transition to 3rd without much difficulity (same basic skills set as catching)
as to cyrus ,will get playing time...Maybe he has grown and gotten a lot stronger...don't know but they need bats as I mentioned earlier so I would not initially adjust out field line up based on this . did he play any off season ball to improve skills...
INSIGHT Wrote:Hey...I'm not the one making absurd player comparisons and any way the corners will probably be filled with lyons , rice and grimm will rotate from 1b to lf to p if things go the way I predict. but I absolutely am not trying to adjust the line-up for a single player nor am I overrating one players ability to justify a position, but simply rotations that look based on past performances and coaching tendencies to be realistic possibilities...I have no favorites in this race.

I am not saying that grimm should not play 1b but if rice and lyons are in the game and not pitching and they will be, they can only play the corners and grimm being a strong outfielder with a strong arm should be in lf under these circumstances....and appearently lemasters status is in question so I'll take him out of the equation for now but that leaves a kid like brown who can be a valuable player in the field . back up for adams now but should be able to transition to 3rd without much difficulity (same basic skills set as catching)
as to cyrus ,will get playing time...Maybe he has grown and gotten a lot stronger...don't know but they need bats as I mentioned earlier so I would not initially adjust out field line up based on this . did he play any off season ball to improve skills...

I'm sure cyrus did something over the summer and I didn't think he needed to improve a whole lot ,IMO.
slingblade93 Wrote:I'm sure cyrus did something over the summer and I didn't think he needed to improve a whole lot ,IMO.

everybody has one !!!!!Big Grin
an opinion that is.
INSIGHT Wrote:an opinion that is.

And in your opinion 3rd base is basicly the same as catching.:thatsfunn
if you mean to imply that any player does not need to work hard and improve, then this is as absurd as a few other statements in this thread or did you mean that this kid did not need to improve??? matters not....same responce
No I stated that the two positions have the same skill set requirements....quick hands and feet ,they don't call it the hot corner for nothing. also good glove. and I think that I was implying that dillon brown could probably transition into this position or don't you think that a player should have more than 1 position either?????