Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville Baseball '08
INSIGHT Wrote:if you mean to imply that any player does not need to work hard and improve, then this is as absurd as a few other statements in this thread or did you mean that this kid did not need to improve??? matters not....same responce

You could say every player on every team needs to improve. I was simply saying IMO that he did not need to improve to get in the starting line-up. But, since you know all, we will let you decide the starting line-ups for all local teams.
not clear on what that means...but I will reserve my 15th region line ups for another post.....

clearly I am not stating that every team member should not have a chance to earn a starting position if you read my origional post..I said that there were some younger players and returning players that I felt should have a shot at the line up....but some of us want to turn this into a post to justify one player and not consider alternatives which may work "team Sport"
INSIGHT Wrote:not clear on what that means...but I will reserve my 15th region line ups for another post.....

clearly I am not stating that every team member should not have a chance to earn a starting position if you read my origional post..I said that there were some younger players and returning players that I felt should have a shot at the line up....but some of us want to turn this into a post to justify one player and not consider alternatives which may work "team Sport"

I didn't say the region, I really don't think you are qualified to put together a little league lineup IMO.
slingblade93 Wrote:I didn't say the region, I really don't think you are qualified to put together a little league lineup IMO.

obviously this is personal rather than objective to you but you are entitled to your opinion.:Clap:
INSIGHT Wrote:Hey...I'm not the one making absurd player comparisons and any way the corners will probably be filled with lyons , rice and grimm will rotate from 1b to lf to p if things go the way I predict. but I absolutely am not trying to adjust the line-up for a single player nor am I overrating one players ability to justify a position, but simply rotations that look based on past performances and coaching tendencies to be realistic possibilities...I have no favorites in this race.

I am not saying that grimm should not play 1b but if rice and lyons are in the game and not pitching and they will be, they can only play the corners and grimm being a strong outfielder with a strong arm should be in lf under these circumstances....and appearently lemasters status is in question so I'll take him out of the equation for now but that leaves a kid like brown who can be a valuable player in the field . back up for adams now but should be able to transition to 3rd without much difficulity (same basic skills set as catching)
as to cyrus ,will get playing time...Maybe he has grown and gotten a lot stronger...don't know but they need bats as I mentioned earlier so I would not initially adjust out field line up based on this . did he play any off season ball to improve skills...

Not sure but to me it sounds like you think that Rice and Lyons will be playing not for talent but for being related to the coaching staff?

As for talent comparisons between 3B and catching, I'm not so sure it's that easy or you could just let Ison catch then if that's what you're saying.
blackwidow Wrote:Not sure but to me it sounds like you think that Rice and Lyons will be playing not for talent but for being related to the coaching staff?

As for talent comparisons between 3B and catching, I'm not so sure it's that easy or you could just let Ison catch then if that's what you're saying.

true, I think that ison has caught before and i am not saying anything about relationships simply offering my opinion of lyons and rice and where they might play this year....I hear that lyons has been working hard this year...
The Guru Wrote:I am not offended and don't see how I came off that way after re reading my post. I just pointed out that you seemed to be putting a line up together with half the line up with very little exp. And say the rest need to prove themselves.

V is a great second baseman and I do look for him to be our regular at that position.
I am not sure he is as strong at the plate as you feel, but is very capable and smart.

Dyllon has proven to be a good back up for Adams and is a good hitter. He has not had much work defensively anywhere but catching at varsity so, befor I would automatically put him into the starting line up, I think he needs to show that there is a position out there that he is ready to claim.

Austin and Seth may get auto bids as everyday players, but I hope it would be because of earned. I would like to think that anyway. But....in all honesty, 1st base is about the only place and I think Grimm is very far ahead of them at that spot. Not saying they can't beat him out.

Travis played how much outfield for Adkins? a few innings?
You say he is not an infielder, then why for the last 2 years has he been the utility infielder?

As far as the outfield goes, Hump, Butcher, Grimm and Cyrus are our best four and there is not a lot of difference between them if you consider all aspects.

Cyrus and Grimm manned LF last year and had about the same speed and glove, Grimm had a stronger arm(but he had the strongest of any)but Cyrus' arm is more accurate. makes them about dead even.

I know Jake will get a chance to become an every day player and with his added size strength and speed from last year, I think he might just. His bat was not strong last year, but he never knew if he was gonna hit or not. But I would put his K's to plate appearances up there with anyone on the team.

I guess what I am saying is that with Grimm at first, Cyrus, Hump and Butcher in the outfield. It looks like a strong defense can be fielded by the Tigers.

One thing though....I would give a few games befor I started using DH. Nothing like destroying a kids confidence by not showing that you even had any in him.

Adams behind the plate, with JD and V gives a very solid middle D, Ison at third.

Yeah....I could live with that D.

very good post i agree with you 100% that should without a doubt be dead with the lineup i dont see how it could be anything else..
OMG Wrote:very good post i agree with you 100% that should without a doubt be dead with the lineup i dont see how it could be anything else..

ok what he is saying is not enitrely incorrect imo and as I said players need to prove themelves. LF seems to be the main spot of contention and on this point I disagree stongly....the four outfielders he mentioned are clearly not comparable nor are they as close in skills as indicated and if this is both of your opinions then so be it and we will just have to agree to disagree and I think Ison may be a better utility player if brown or lyons can play 3rd

but I think that coach Howards toughest job this season will be trying to figure out how best to plate runs and replacing the rbi's from last season
INSIGHT Wrote:ok what he is saying is not enitrely incorrect imo and as I said players need to prove themelves. LF seems to be the main spot of contention and on this point I disagree stongly....the four outfielders he mentioned are clearly not comparable nor are they as close in skills as indicated and if this is both of your opinions then so be it and we will just have to agree to disagree and I think Ison may be a better utility player if brown or lyons can play 3rd

but I think that coach Howards toughest job this season will be trying to figure out how best to plate runs and replacing the rbi's from last season

OK......I guess you are some kind of self appointed expert on baseball and the kids that play at Paintsville.
So being the expert that you are, you should know that Paintsville is blessed with several kids that are or could be very good outfielders.
But you should also know that none are great outfielders and none are terrible. I can tell you that I do know these kids very well. I will put my thoughts out there. OF only for now.
Shane - decent speed, good glove, strong arm. Would be an asset to anyone's outfield, but who really wants to risk injury(like the one that almost happened last year stepping into a hole) when there could be other options.
Cory- Great speed, great range, good arm. again, an asset to any team.
Patrick- Great speed, decent arm, Have seen this kid make catches that seem impossible, but have also seen some plays that make you scratch your head. Pat is a keeper in my book and would start for just about any team.
Jake-decent speed, decent arm, good glove. Has not and never would hurt any team that he is on. Very consistent.

Like I have said befor, I don't think we have any superstars out there, but none that are bad either. Which one(s) are so far ahead of the rest? Just a question.
And trust me....I am not upset or anything, I just think that there are a lot of positions out there that should be locked down, and I think if we put anything but our very best "Team" out there it could only hurt our chances.
Trust me....I can live with whatever lineup we use, as long as we all know our roles.
The Guru Wrote:OK......I guess you are some kind of self appointed expert on baseball and the kids that play at Paintsville.
So being the expert that you are, you should know that Paintsville is blessed with several kids that are or could be very good outfielders.
But you should also know that none are great outfielders and none are terrible. I can tell you that I do know these kids very well. I will put my thoughts out there. OF only for now.
Shane - decent speed, good glove, strong arm. Would be an asset to anyone's outfield, but who really wants to risk injury(like the one that almost happened last year stepping into a hole) when there could be other options.
Cory- Great speed, great range, good arm. again, an asset to any team.
Patrick- Great speed, decent arm, Have seen this kid make catches that seem impossible, but have also seen some plays that make you scratch your head. Pat is a keeper in my book and would start for just about any team.
Jake-decent speed, decent arm, good glove. Has not and never would hurt any team that he is on. Very consistent.

Like I have said befor, I don't think we have any superstars out there, but none that are bad either. Which one(s) are so far ahead of the rest? Just a question.
And trust me....I am not upset or anything, I just think that there are a lot of positions out there that should be locked down, and I think if we put anything but our very best "Team" out there it could only hurt our chances.
Trust me....I can live with whatever lineup we use, as long as we all know our roles.
It is gonna be tricky to see what they do with Grimm. You say he was injured last year in the outfield by a hole but also putting him at 1B could be dangerous. For example if a runner steps on him or if he collides with the runner. Also he could take short hops to the face. Truthfully LF might be the safer position of the two because 1B you are involved almost every play. With Humphrey in CF that could reduce the amount of range Grimm will need so he won't have to make diving plays very often. If played right baseball is often a dangerous sport at any position. You can't play worried about getting hurt because that's when you turn up injured. I think PHS will sort out the position battles as the season goes. It is a good thing they have depth because everyone knows how at least someone goes down every year.
TRUEBALLAHOLLA Wrote:It is gonna be tricky to see what they do with Grimm. You say he was injured last year in the outfield by a hole but also putting him at 1B could be dangerous. For example if a runner steps on him or if he collides with the runner. Also he could take short hops to the face. Truthfully LF might be the safer position of the two because 1B you are involved almost every play. With Humphrey in CF that could reduce the amount of range Grimm will need so he won't have to make diving plays very often. If played right baseball is often a dangerous sport at any position. You can't play worried about getting hurt because that's when you turn up injured. I think PHS will sort out the position battles as the season goes. It is a good thing they have depth because everyone knows how at least someone goes down every year.
LOL, you must not have played in Paintsville's outfield befor.
Truth is, there is danger anywhere. It is just mu opinion that he is our best first baseman. No matter who you play anywhere else. I think Adams is our best catcher but there is not much controversy on here about that.
INSIGHT Wrote:ok what he is saying is not enitrely incorrect imo and as I said players need to prove themelves. LF seems to be the main spot of contention and on this point I disagree stongly....the four outfielders he mentioned are clearly not comparable nor are they as close in skills as indicated and if this is both of your opinions then so be it and we will just have to agree to disagree and I think Ison may be a better utility player if brown or lyons can play 3rd

LMAO, I am so glad to find out that you don't think everything I say is incorrect.Rolleyes

You have got on here and downed just about everyone's opinion about position players and have even suggested that certain players are gonna play even if there might be a better option, but you have yet to actually clarify if your picks are actually your opinions for best team or if you just think that it is where the staff will put players.
The Guru Wrote:LMAO, I am so glad to find out that you don't think everything I say is incorrect.Rolleyes

You have got on here and downed just about everyone's opinion about position players and have even suggested that certain players are gonna play even if there might be a better option, but you have yet to actually clarify if your picks are actually your opinions for best team or if you just think that it is where the staff will put players.

you know i agree, and i also agree about the infield situation...ison and vanhoose are crucial to that side of the infield, especially in the 15th region there are so many time a ball hit to the left side gets beat out because of inexperienced players at those positions and i think grimm has to be at first base, you loose so many outs during the course of a game based on your first baseman that he just simply has the most experience and skill to play there regardless of how good he is in the outfield, first base is a key position....humphrey is going to cover alot of ground in centerfield(maybe the fastest centerfielder in the region)to where your right and left fielders will have plenty of help tracking balls in the gaps...i just think like you do that some positions have to be locked going into the season...
The Guru Wrote:LMAO, I am so glad to find out that you don't think everything I say is incorrect.Rolleyes

first off I'm stating my opinion, not downing everyone elses I just don't agree completely with yours and some of your player comparisons and I still don't see how you get that Ison is strong at 3rd but I think I know why you don't like him in the outfield!!!!

also I don't know what any coach might do, simply offering as I stated in previous posts my opinions! But since you are pushing for clarification I do think that the corner spots will be rotated by the coaching staff, also as I stated depending on who is pitching and I was actually suggesting that certian players would probably play even if there were other options not necessarily better ones.
INSIGHT Wrote:first off I'm stating my opinion, not downing everyone elses I just don't agree completely with yours and some of your player comparisons and I still don't see how you get that Ison is strong at 3rd but I think I know why you don't like him in the outfield!!!!

also I don't know what any coach might do, simply offering as I stated in previous posts my opinions! But since you are pushing for clarification I do think that the corner spots will be rotated by the coaching staff, also as I stated depending on who is pitching and I was actually suggesting that certian players would probably play even if there were other options not necessarily better ones.

Where did I say he was strong at third? I said he played utility infield for us the last 2 years.

Why are you suggesting that I don't like Ison in the outfield?

I am not upset, can't understand why I can't have my own opinions without being called absurd.

Kinda obvious that positions would be rotated depending on who is pitching isn't it?

Do you think they will be getting Adams out from behind the plate more this year so he could rest his legs more?
You and I have both agreed befor that we think he is a very good outfielder as well.
That's always another option.
The Guru Wrote:Where did I say he was strong at third? I said he played utility infield for us the last 2 years.

Why are you suggesting that I don't like Ison in the outfield?

I am not upset, can't understand why I can't have my own opinions without being called absurd.

Kinda obvious that positions would be rotated depending on who is pitching isn't it?

Do you think they will be getting Adams out from behind the plate more this year so he could rest his legs more?
You and I have both agreed befor that we think he is a very good outfielder as well.
That's always another option.

because you only listed four players for those pos..imo grimm with a much stronger arm than any other and humphrey has much better glove/speed combo than any other butcher seems to have speed...cyrus seems to have good glove...but I can't compare 1st two to the last two..maybe I don't know all the facts......

more than 1 postion imo will rotate based on pitching....and therein lies the conflict.

don't know about adams , might come out from behind the plate...

I don't recall indicating to you on any other thread the possibility of adams in the of....but Imo could play there with brown or ison behind the plate...

what I think will happen imo will be based largely on who primarily fills the corners and I think that it will be rice and lyons
INSIGHT Wrote:because you only listed four players for those pos..imo grimm with a much stronger arm than any other and humphrey has much better glove/speed combo than any other butcher seems to have speed...cyrus seems to have good glove...but I can't compare 1st two to the last two..maybe I don't know all the facts......

more than 1 postion imo will rotate based on pitching....and therein lies the conflict.

I don't recall indicating to you on any other thread the possibility of adams in the of....but Imo could play there with brown or ison behind the plate...

what I think will happen imo will be based largely on who primarily fills the corners and I think that it will be rice and lyons

i still strongly believe that when grimm isn't pitching he will be at first base...that is such a vital position that his experience will be drastically needed over there, and ison i still think needs to be on third, but like guru said he has been a utility infielder and can really play 2nd or 3rd....grimm does have an arm but you have to give up one or the other...a good arm in the outfield with less experience at 1st or more experience at 1st with a weaker arm in the outfield, and i think i would rather have him on first base...there are some really good outfielders that will be anchored by humphrey in center who can cover alot of ground...i think the outfield will be just fine with grimm on first base

not too mention you will be saving grimm's arm a little by keeping him at first, and we need his arm to make it deep in the post season...wearing it out will be a bad mistake...
INSIGHT Wrote:because you only listed four players for those pos..imo grimm with a much stronger arm than any other and humphrey has much better glove/speed combo than any other butcher seems to have speed...cyrus seems to have good glove...but I can't compare 1st two to the last two..maybe I don't know all the facts......

I didn't say we had talked about it on any thread.Wink
OMG Wrote:i still strongly believe that when grimm isn't pitching he will be at first base...that is such a vital position that his experience will be drastically needed over there, and ison i still think needs to be on third, but like guru said he has been a utility infielder and can really play 2nd or 3rd....grimm does have an arm but you have to give up one or the other...a good arm in the outfield with less experience at 1st or more experience at 1st with a weaker arm in the outfield, and i think i would rather have him on first base...there are some really good outfielders that will be anchored by humphrey in center who can cover alot of ground...i think the outfield will be just fine with grimm on first base

not too mention you will be saving grimm's arm a little by keeping him at first, and we need his arm to make it deep in the post season...wearing it out will be a bad mistake...

yeah, what you are saying makes sense to me ,,,, I think Grimm should play first... that puts cyrus in left or maybe Ison or brown but I don't think that it will happen that way very often I did not say that I would play Rice or Lyons at 1b over grimm i simply said that I think they will be in the line up and that is where they will play....my line up is a combo of my opinion and what I think will happen...Lyons and Rice will get a lot of starts this year.....Where would you play them when not pitching????
The Guru Wrote:I didn't say we had talked about it on any thread.Wink

Then to my knowledge I havn't discussed this or any line up opinions with anyone.....
INSIGHT Wrote:Then to my knowledge I havn't discussed this or any line up opinions with anyone.....
Maybe not, but we have talked about Corey Adams.
It's no biggie.
The Guru Wrote:Maybe not, but we have talked about Corey Adams.
It's no biggie.

Don't think so...but imo probably could play outfield....
INSIGHT Wrote:Don't think so...but imo probably could play outfield....
OK.........:popcorn:
i think grimm will have a lil something coming at him after the trick he pulled
INSIGHT Wrote:yeah, what you are saying makes sense to me ,,,, I think Grimm should play first... that puts cyrus in left or maybe Ison or brown but I don't think that it will happen that way very often I did not say that I would play Rice or Lyons at 1b over grimm i simply said that I think they will be in the line up and that is where they will play....my line up is a combo of my opinion and what I think will happen...Lyons and Rice will get a lot of starts this year.....Where would you play them when not pitching????

i would say they would get somewhat alternating starts when grimm is pitching...but really im not that familiar with rice....i know lyons and what he can do, but how is he compared to rice? hitting wise...
INSIGHT Wrote:yeah, what you are saying makes sense to me ,,,, I think Grimm should play first... that puts cyrus in left or maybe Ison or brown but I don't think that it will happen that way very often I did not say that I would play Rice or Lyons at 1b over grimm i simply said that I think they will be in the line up and that is where they will play....my line up is a combo of my opinion and what I think will happen...Lyons and Rice will get a lot of starts this year.....Where would you play them when not pitching????

Man you are really hung up on the Rice and Lyons kids aren't you? You really just need to come out and say what you're thinking...that they're gonna play because of their last names right?

in my humble, know little or nothing, opinion I think you rotate Rice and Lyons on 1st when Shane's on the mound, you can also rotate Rice, Lyons, or Brown at 3rd if need be, but I expect Lyons and Rice to be in the pitching rotation. So in essence they're in the playing rotation just not a designated spot game in and game out.

I think everyone on the Tiger team knows their roles in what they need to do to get this team to the regional and beyond this spring. I just think the adults need to realize that too and stop trying to create something before the season even starts.

These guys just want to win, plain and simple, and I think whatever is needed to get those wins is what you'll see the guys and the coaches doing.
blackwidow Wrote:Man you are really hung up on the Rice and Lyons kids aren't you? You really just need to come out and say what you're thinking...that they're gonna play because of their last names right?

in my humble, know little or nothing, opinion I think you rotate Rice and Lyons on 1st when Shane's on the mound, you can also rotate Rice, Lyons, or Brown at 3rd if need be, but I expect Lyons and Rice to be in the pitching rotation. So in essence they're in the playing rotation just not a designated spot game in and game out.

I think everyone on the Tiger team knows their roles in what they need to do to get this team to the regional and beyond this spring. I just think the adults need to realize that too and stop trying to create something before the season even starts.

These guys just want to win, plain and simple, and I think whatever is needed to get those wins is what you'll see the guys and the coaches doing.

totally agree
jchs10 Wrote:i think grimm will have a lil something coming at him after the trick he pulled
This was about a waste of a first post. LOL
The Guru Wrote:This was about a waste of a first post. LOL

yea thats pretty pathetic, what exactly is he referring too, i have an idea, but not sure..

So your saying butcher is fast but has a sucky glove? And your also saying that cyrus has a good glove but sucky speed? if that the case you can put any one in there, cause there is alot of slow fat guys with good gloves, and alot of fast guys that cant catch.