Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Bill Mike Runyon's Last year
FOX SPORTS Wrote:This thread needs to stay on topic and.

Also a statement from myself as a member Not a staff member...

Coach Runyon is highly respected across the state and has done tremendous things at Paintsville.
State Championship, 8 regional championships, numerous D1 players...this thread is not the place to bash a retiring coach who is a legend and arguably the most successful mountain coach of his generation.
As my wise grandmother always said "If you don't have anything good to say, keep your mouth shut".

WOW ...you said it!!!! GREAT POST!!!!
I just wanted peope to be able to state the good , positive and awesome things Coach Runyon has done for Paintsville the town and school system...not to question his reasoning and other stuff!!!
transplanttiger Wrote:Let's not forget BMR is a tiger through and through---that's why he stayed all these years, for less pay than he would have made at another school.

Matney is a great coach---but nothin' but a hired gun. When bigger and better is offered he'll be out the door so fast it will knock the feathers off the eagle.

I hope so, I'd like to buy my grandfather's house back into the family.Big Grin
SecretAgent Wrote:Name another coach that has been coaching at the same school in Ky (basketball) for as long as he has????????????????????
Johnny Martin --Allen Central
Rick Mays--Elliot County
2 off the top of my head
Bobby Keith coached at Clay Couny for many years, and the old man who coached Red Bird.
The Fan Wrote:Johnny Martin --Allen Central
Rick Mays--Elliot County
2 off the top of my head
Actually there were 3 coaches in between Rick Mays 2 stints as coach.
Guys, I thought I would post these "career facts" for Coach Runyon once the season ended. I think it shows, just how great of a coach he was!!

COACH BILL MIKE RUNYON CAREER FACTS

PLAYER:

All-State 1974
1,500+ career points

COACH:

531 career wins (most all-time in the 15th Region)
14 – 20 win seasons
4 – 30 win seasons
14 – 57th District Titles
8 – 15th Region Titles (most all-time in the 15th Region)
8 – 15th Region All “A” Titles (most all-time in the 15th Region)
4 – Appearances in the KHSAA “Sweet 16” Final Four
3 – Appearances in the All “A” State Final Four
2 – Appearances in the KHSAA “Sweet 16” State Championship Game
1 – KHSAA “Sweet 16” Runner-Up Finish (1998)
1 – KHSAA “Sweet 16” State Championship (1996)
2 – Mr. Basketball’s (1987 – John Pelphrey; 1998 – J. R. VanHoose)
20 – Players named to an All-State Team during his tenure
8 – Players that have signed with a Division I school
7 – Players that have been named to the KHSAA “Sweet 16” All-Tournament Team

Other Facts:

The 1995-96 team was ranked in the final Top 50 in the Nation by USA today
The 1996-97 team was ranked the #19 team in the country in the pre-season by USA Today and the Sporting News

Teams with the most wins against:

Magoffin County (53-15 overall record)
Johnson Central (50-28 overall record)
Sheldon Clark (45-11 overall record)
Pikeville (32-14 overall record)
Allen Central (25-7 overall record)
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Guys, I thought I would post these "career facts" for Coach Runyon once the season ended. I think it shows, just how great of a coach he was!!

COACH BILL MIKE RUNYON CAREER FACTS

PLAYER:

All-State 1974
1,500+ career points

COACH:

531 career wins (most all-time in the 15th Region)
14 – 20 win seasons
4 – 30 win seasons
14 – 57th District Titles
8 – 15th Region Titles (most all-time in the 15th Region)
8 – 15th Region All “A” Titles (most all-time in the 15th Region)
4 – Appearances in the KHSAA “Sweet 16” Final Four
3 – Appearances in the All “A” State Final Four
2 – Appearances in the KHSAA “Sweet 16” State Championship Game
1 – KHSAA “Sweet 16” Runner-Up Finish (1998)
1 – KHSAA “Sweet 16” State Championship (1996)
2 – Mr. Basketball’s (1987 – John Pelphrey; 1998 – J. R. VanHoose)
20 – Players named to an All-State Team during his tenure
8 – Players that have signed with a Division I school
7 – Players that have been named to the KHSAA “Sweet 16” All-Tournament Team

Other Facts:

The 1995-96 team was ranked in the final Top 50 in the Nation by USA today
The 1996-97 team was ranked the #19 team in the country in the pre-season by USA Today and the Sporting News

Teams with the most wins against:

Magoffin County (53-15 overall record)
Johnson Central (50-28 overall record)
Sheldon Clark (45-11 overall record)
Pikeville (32-14 overall record)
Allen Central (25-7 overall record)

Bill Mike accomplished a lot during his coaching career, but I dont ever remember him being an all state player during his playing days. He was at VERY BEST the third or 4th best guard in the 15th region. He trailed Mark Myers(Pikeville) and Jimmy Kent Kerr (Elkhorn City) and may have been behind Rick Hatfield (Belfry). Even during his junior season I think you could rank Drexel Short amd Jim Bob Michaels (Louisa) in front of him. Bill Mike was a very good high school basketball player for the area, he was very quick and had a nice jumpshot, but nowhere near All State caliber. I think that he may have only played one year of basketball at Pikeville College. I think he did play the full 4 years of baseball however.

Not meaning to take anything away from him as a coach, because history speaks for its self, but he was a better baseball player than he was a basketball player.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Bill Mike accomplished a lot during his coaching career, but I dont ever remember him being an all state player during his playing days. He was at VERY BEST the third or 4th best guard in the 15th region. He trailed Mark Myers(Pikeville) and Jimmy Kent Kerr (Elkhorn City) and may have been behind Rick Hatfield (Belfry). Even during his junior season I think you could rank Drexel Short amd Jim Bob Michaels (Louisa) in front of him. Bill Mike was a very good high school basketball player for the area, he was very quick and had a nice jumpshot, but nowhere near All State caliber. I think that he may have only played one year of basketball at Pikeville College. I think he did play the full 4 years of baseball however.

Not meaning to take anything away from him as a coach, because history speaks for its self, but he was a better baseball player than he was a basketball player.

I must apologize, he was an Honorable Mention selection for the Louisville Courier-Journal All-State team in 1974.
Is it true he might be going to help at Arkansas??
slingblade93 Wrote:Great post, even though Brugh was listed as the head coach Runyon ran the show, and yes I did play for him while he was coaching, and I think you can put him on that proverbial pedestal, He imo is one **** of a person and coach.

Son, if you think ANYONE but Brugh was in charge all I can do is shake my head at you. Your WAAAAY off base.
Brugh27 Wrote:Son, if you think ANYONE but Brugh was in charge all I can do is shake my head at you. Your WAAAAY off base.

I can totally agree with you there Brugh27.Ive been around along time here in the ville and that just "aint" so. Shoot, Bill Mike will tell you it isnt so. Yes Bill MIke is, was a great basketball coach, But lets not take away from one of our other all time Greats. You know its hard for one school to have 1 legend let alone 2 legends....Brugh and Runyon,,,,Legends in their own time!!!!!:notworthy
PHS Watergirl Wrote:I can totally agree with you there Brugh27.Ive been around along time here in the ville and that just "aint" so. Shoot, Bill Mike will tell you it isnt so. Yes Bill MIke is, was a great basketball coach, But lets not take away from one of our other all time Greats. You know its hard for one school to have 1 legend let alone 2 legends....Brugh and Runyon,,,,Legends in their own time!!!!!:notworthy

I have to agree with Slingy, as the AD, Coach Runyon did run the show. Things got done the way he said and the way he wanted, regardless of sport. Heck, he'll tell you that. Wink
BlueBalls coach Runyon is a legend in this the 15th Region and if you don't think so, name some other modern day coaches that have his credentials??
Anybody heard where he is going? or what he is going to do yet?
Geez people, Bill Mike Runyon, in almost all of P'ville's people's eyes has been the back bone to that school... I know when I hear Paintsville High School I think Bill Mike Runyon...
Everyone has honorable coaches, look at Johnny Martin, he has been around Allen Central for just as long as Bill Mike Runyon has but the thing is Bill Mike Ruyon has an outstanding list of achievements. But what makes him sooooo great to his players is that he teaches those boys lessons about life and how to pull through when they struggle... he is one coach that will ALWAYS care for his players, i mean heck look at him with John Pelphrey... BMR is a big UK fan but look what he did when UK and Pelphrey met up this year, BMR sat behind Pelphrey with Pelphrey's parents and was there supporting him!
Bill Mike Runyon is not only an excellent coach but a excellent mentor to all of his players!
Its amazing to look back at this and think that we now have him back in charge.
^I agree! I'm excited! BUT, I'm always excited about each new season!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Coach Runyon's finest attribute is his loyalty to the boys that play for him. Just like Coach Adkins did for his baseball players, if a kid had the desire to attend college, and had any marginal ability to do so, these two men would do the work, make the phone calls, write the letters, and see to it that any kid that played for them, and wanted to play college ball, certainly received that opportunity. I always admired those two men for that as much as any championship they achieved. They always took the time and put forth the extra effort to help their players become succussful young men. I have nothing but love for them.