Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could RUPP hurt Paintsville Baseball?
The Guru Wrote:It is forbidden at PHS. Just like during baseball, you are not allowed to even dribble a basketball.

It is all about trying to keep accidents down. They(the coaches) would even get mad if yu rode a bicycle!
Well that is not right at all. If you were going through another full out practice after your basketball hours then that would be bad. But just allowing not throwing is not right. There is no way you can convince me other wise.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:So I see why they took the keys to the weight room away from all of the other coaches while basketball season was going on. It was just to cut down on "accidents". Glad to know that it was not to try to influence more kids to play basketball and not to discourage them to specialty train in the other sports.That's pretty innovative.Smile
I think you hit that nail on the head. This might be the most true statement of the whole tread.
Lisa Douglas Wrote:you know something, I was being sincere & you were being ugly. I don't like it. I don't do you that way whenever you post. Sooo stop it.

Gee , I was just playing around.:o
Mr.Kimball Wrote:So I see why they took the keys to the weight room away from all of the other coaches while basketball season was going on. It was just to cut down on "accidents". Glad to know that it was not to try to influence more kids to play basketball and not to discourage them to specialty train in the other sports.That's pretty innovative.Smile

Sure wish I had never made that thread!
You all just get an idea in your heads and run it in the ground sometimes.
Nobody said anything about them taking keys away from baseball till basketball was over. That might be what you read into it. But they changed the locks and were not wanting a bunch of keys out there and baseball was very late in getting one. All is fine now so don't worry. And although I think players need the work, but how far would Paintsville's basketball season go if grimm did something to his arm in January and required imediate surgery? Or what if during baseball season he gets in a saturday pickup game at the rec and blows out a knee? That's what they want to try and avoid and I can see it. It's a catch 22, but Paintsville will be fine.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:That's about the 3rd time a comment such as that has been made in this thread. What ever happened to kids doing what they were told by the coaching staffs in order to do what was best for the team. Interesting to now know that kids are able to just decide that they are now abe to do just whatever they feel like doing, whenever they want to do it. It is obvious that VanHoose is not interested in pitching, or he would have worked on it his whole high school career. I really dont think he is the option that some of you may think.

For one thing I am very amused that so many of you on here take the pitching profession so lightly. Got news for every one of you. You just dont pick a ball up when basketball season is over and then when the season is over forget about it up again till next year when basketball season is over.

Not meaning to be a smart alleck by any means, but in my opinion Lyons and Grimm are really the only two on staff that I would have much confidence in at all. All of the others being mentioned have really not worked too much on pitching their whole baseball careers, so I have trouble imagining that just out of nowhere they will be guys that will ultimately have to be depended on to shut someone down in a third game of post season play.

Well, If he really doesn't have the confidence in himself which may or may not be the case, then just how effective would he be. That is what I am saying.You might not remember when he was pitching in a game at LC as an 8th grader and took a shot off his elbo that scared the daylights out of everyone. Sure he was fine, but maybe he just doesn't feel comfortable back on the mound. So let's not be too harsh on him.
I doubt very seriously if pitching will ever be a profession for any of these guys. And just for more news.....it happens every year. Baseball is a game like any other, I have learned to realize there might be more to life than making a kid think about sports all the time and miss out on a few other things in life. Not a thing in the world wrong with taking a nice Saturday afternoon and just going fishing instead of taking a 150 swings at the cage or shooting foul shots for 2 hours.
Whether or not these other guys can get the job done we will still love and respect them. I have never and will never try and fault a "KID" for wanting a social life over working on pitching 9 months a year. If they want too, that is great, but what if they really didn't want to but would so as to not let anyone down.
The Joker Wrote:Well that is not right at all. If you were going through another full out practice after your basketball hours then that would be bad. But just allowing not throwing is not right. There is no way you can convince me other wise.
Not trying to convince you. It is just precaution.
The Guru Wrote:Well, If he really doesn't have the confidence in himself which may or may not be the case, then just how effective would he be. That is what I am saying.You might not remember when he was pitching in a game at LC as an 8th grader and took a shot off his elbo that scared the daylights out of everyone. Sure he was fine, but maybe he just doesn't feel comfortable back on the mound. So let's not be too harsh on him.
I doubt very seriously if pitching will ever be a profession for any of these guys. And just for more news.....it happens every year. Baseball is a game like any other, I have learned to realize there might be more to life than making a kid think about sports all the time and miss out on a few other things in life. Not a thing in the world wrong with taking a nice Saturday afternoon and just going fishing instead of taking a 150 swings at the cage or shooting foul shots for 2 hours.
Whether or not these other guys can get the job done we will still love and respect them. I have never and will never try and fault a "KID" for wanting a social life over working on pitching 9 months a year. If they want too, that is great, but what if they really didn't want to but would so as to not let anyone down.
Your right nothing wrong at all with a kid doing what makes themselves happy, even if it's building a worm farm, just so it's productive and self fullfilling. The idea behind sports to begin with is to create and form bonds with follow classmates, reaching a desired goal as a unit and to create formable work ethics that can be adhered to once the playing days are over when you have to compete in the job market.

I was trying to put everything in a prospective about all that is being said. It is not exactly fair to belittle the hard work of any kid whomever it may be and make light of the difficulty of reaching a high level of their craftsmanship.

This was all just a discussion of the overall prowess of a particular teams pitching staff. It was not designed to single any particular player out or to openly criticize any one. Individual players have been mentioned as to being vital cogs to Paintsville's anticipated run to a possible trip to Applebees. Just discussing the facts that it may not be as simple as it may appear , because there are more compenents to reaching that level and destination than merely appearing on the field come Feb 15th and ending the quest on whatever day that their perspective teams are eliminated from state contention and then beginning back on Feb. 15th the next year with the same goal in mind. Pitching is a demanding time consuming aspect of the game, and to be realistic that is where this particular game is either won or lost by the participants. There may be 8 other teammates on the field that must perform their particular roles too, but never the less, the game comes down to however the lone individual on the mound performs. That's just the way the game is designed.

As far as any kid wanting to work on whatever craft it may be. I dont care who it is, or what it may be, you have to admire anybody that takes what they do seriously and is willing to sacrifice their time forfeiting whatever else that comes into social fashion at a particular time to ultimately have a chance to reach whatever goals they may have set for themselves. When a kid reaches the age of high school staus they are just now starting to perform functions that will in a just a short matter of time be a prelude to functions in life that pertain to the real world in which they have to make many sacrifices throughout the remainder of their lives when it comes to raising and supporting their wives and families.

Success in athletics should never,ever be based on what the final score may read on a scoreboard. Success can only be measured with the blood, sweat and tears that have been shed and sacrificed by any individual or group of individuals (as in team) in their efforts to make them selves the very best that they can personaly makes themselves be, and in the manner in which they conduct themselves generally in public and the light that they shed on their schools and their communities.

Those are the people that will truely be successful in life after the playing of a kids game is over. Isn't it ironic however that the very players and in a lot of cases the families of those players that dont want to put out the time and effort to polish their crafts are the very ones who do the most complaining and the cry foul of a coaching staff when designated playing times are passed around. Every thing in this life is ultimately earned.
The Guru Wrote:Not trying to convince you. It is just precaution.
There is nothing wrong at all in root, root, rooting for the home team, but this is a small community and everyone knows that this particular year that everything was designed so as to not have any distractions in Paintsville's and in in particular BMR's quest for that elusive regional basketball championship. It has all been about BMR this year. You know as well as everybody else knows that it was all going for bust this year in that aspect. Not critcizing the fact at all, let's just admit to it and go on.
The Guru Wrote:Well, If he really doesn't have the confidence in himself which may or may not be the case, then just how effective would he be. That is what I am saying.You might not remember when he was pitching in a game at LC as an 8th grader and took a shot off his elbo that scared the daylights out of everyone. Sure he was fine, but maybe he just doesn't feel comfortable back on the mound. So let's not be too harsh on him.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that a little bit. When I was playing in high school I played 4 sports. Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Golf. Of course for golf i only did the golf matches on the weekends. I couldn't have imagined taking any time off at all to do anything but sports. There was nothing more fun to me in this world than competing. If they are a true blue athlete they shouldn't want to take off and go fishing when they can practice. I agee that it 's against all odds that most of these kids will ever get paid to play sports. But alot of them could get their education paid for. I couldn't have imagined taking a day off from batting practice to go fishing? Maybe it's just me, idk, but every time I was free I didn't know what to do, it drove me nuts! But i will agree with you that every kid is not the same. Some need that free time, but I just can't see how you could be dedicated and still take that free time.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Your right nothing wrong at all with a kid doing what makes themselves happy, even if it's building a worm farm, just so it's productive and self fullfilling. The idea behind sports to begin with is to create and form bonds with follow classmates, reaching a desired goal as a unit and to create formable work ethics that can be adhered to once the playing days are over when you have to compete in the job market.

I was trying to put everything in a prospective about all that is being said. It is not exactly fair to belittle the hard work of any kid whomever it may be and make light of the difficulty of reaching a high level of their craftsmanship.

This was all just a discussion of the overall prowess of a particular teams pitching staff. It was not designed to single any particular player out or to openly criticize any one. Individual players have been mentioned as to being vital cogs to Paintsville's anticipated run to a possible trip to Applebees. Just discussing the facts that it may not be as simple as it may appear , because there are more compenents to reaching that level and destination than merely appearing on the field come Feb 15th and ending the quest on whatever day that their perspective teams are eliminated from state contention and then beginning back on Feb. 15th the next year with the same goal in mind. Pitching is a demanding time consuming aspect of the game, and to be realistic that is where this particular game is either won or lost by the participants. There may be 8 other teammates on the field that must perform their particular roles too, but never the less, the game comes down to however the lone individual on the mound performs. That's just the way the game is designed.

As far as any kid wanting to work on whatever craft it may be. I dont care who it is, or what it may be, you have to admire anybody that takes what they do seriously and is willing to sacrifice their time forfeiting whatever else that comes into social fashion at a particular time to ultimately have a chance to reach whatever goals they may have set for themselves. When a kid reaches the age of high school staus they are just now starting to perform functions that will in a just a short matter of time be a prelude to functions in life that pertain to the real world in which they have to make many sacrifices throughout the remainder of their lives when it comes to raising and supporting their wives and families.

Success in athletics should never,ever be based on what the final score may read on a scoreboard. Success can only be measured with the blood, sweat and tears that have been shed and sacrificed by any individual or group of individuals (as in team) in their efforts to make them selves the very best that they can personaly makes themselves be, and in the manner in which they conduct themselves generally in public and the light that they shed on their schools and their communities.

Those are the people that will truely be successful in life after the playing of a kids game is over. Isn't it ironic however that the very players and in a lot of cases the families of those players that dont want to put out the time and effort to polish their crafts are the very ones who do the most complaining and the cry foul of a coaching staff when designated playing times are passed around. Every thing in this life is ultimately earned.
Paintsville's pitching staff is Grimm, Lyons and then the rest. We know it. This thread was about if the extra week was going to hurt. IMHO, no. Grimm whether or not has been throwing all along. We know Lyons has. The rest maybe not. So that is two that most likely have been throwing all winter. I really don't know what you are getting at about the successful in life part. Are you saying that learning the disciplins of hard work in sports will insure that you will be successful in life? Cause I know people that never played a sport in their lives but are very successful, as well as knowing some that had practiced hard every day at their sports, that have not had great successes.

As far as the highlighted part, I guess I would find that ironic. But I don't know of any particular incident that that has happened.
This post although now made amazingly complex is really asking a simple question.

the answer imo is simple....1 additional week away from baseball practice for these athletes will not affect their playing abilities what so ever barring injury!!!

But if these same athletes have not worked on their baseball in the off season
then that will definately affect their game......

Paintsville is a small school....the coaches that I have talked to understand this and they realize that most of their athletes play more than one sport and in most cases make allowances for cross training when applicable......

However or whatever you may wish to think of BMR, I would not expect him to want any of his players to think of anything other than Basketball during the district, regional and most definately state basketball tourney's, but I don't think that he would proclude some cross training at other times. He is the A.D.
and he has coached in the football and Baseball programs himself.

I think Paintsville encourages it's athletes to participate in more than one sport
and the coaches understand that this requires some allowances to be made on a per player basis.
INSIGHT Wrote:This post although now made amazingly complex is really asking a simple question.

the answer imo is simple....1 additional week away from baseball practice for these athletes will not affect their playing abilities what so ever barring injury!!!

But if these same athletes have not worked on their baseball in the off season
then that will definately affect their game......

Paintsville is a small school....the coaches that I have talked to understand this and they realize that most of their athletes play more than one sport and in most cases make allowances for cross training when applicable......

However or whatever you may wish to think of BMR, I would not expect him to want any of his players to think of anything other than Basketball during the district, regional and most definately state basketball tourney's, but I don't think that he would proclude some cross training at other times. He is the A.D.
and he has coached in the football and Baseball programs himself.

I think Paintsville encourages it's athletes to participate in more than one sport
and the coaches understand that this requires some allowances to be made on a per player basis.

I agree, a simple question made complex. Your points imo are correct.
I agree...
It was a simple question...
Sorta like in baseball... you throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball...

One more week isn't gonna hurt them. We had to cancel a scrimmage because of snow, we have another booked for tomorrow (we may get rained out) but the actual season doesn't begin til March 24th @ home.

It'll be fine. Shouldn't be any mountains made from mole hills...
Lisa Douglas Wrote:I agree...
It was a simple question...
Sorta like in baseball... you throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball...

One more week isn't gonna hurt them. We had to cancel a scrimmage because of snow, we have another booked for tomorrow (we may get rained out) but the actual season doesn't begin til March 24th @ home.

It'll be fine. Shouldn't be any mountains made from mole hills...
Well IDK, I think the responce to your post #35 was pretty well in line to repute your comments. From around post #10, this thread has gradually evolved to the current discussion taking place. It started it's complexness from perhaps comments made by yourself. When certain "spins" are put on things that is generally what happens.
What ever Hank.....
Lisa Douglas Wrote:What ever Hank.....

I can assure you one thing however there is no malice intended whatsoever. Just general discussion on my part. Hope you are not taking it any other way.
I know technically it's only one week, but in all reality everyone has really been practicing for a month now. Some teams who only have 1 maybe 2 that even play basketball have had their entire team there for nearly that long. That's really what I was getting at with this thread. I was just unsure to how much work they put in during basketball, if at all?
Between basketball and weather- I'm sure there are other teams that have seen limited practices. I know AC had 6 of their returning starters playing basketball. Paintsville will be fine- they always manage to get it together on the baseball field.
Very true, but I think last year the reason they started off so hot was because of the upset during basketball season. They had all their studs out early and were able to practice together for a month before their first game. I just think it will mean alot with how they start, but I do think by mid-season they will be just fine.
Other than a possible injury, these boys have good training and dedication. The late switch will go smoothly.

I cant wait for baseball!!!! Lets get it on.
Well IDC what anybody says about the late transition. Me, Chas Harmon, Tate Harmon, Jeremy Slone, Adam Collins, and Shane Simpkins all played basketball and baseball (some of us played football too). It wasn't even 3 weeks after basketball was over and Chas, Jeremy and Tate were all throwin better then they were at the end of the season before. The rest of us were converted and back in the baseball groove within the first couple weeks. We got back to baseball mode about the time we went to Myrtle Beach for spring break. Grimmy worked on his pitchin all summer long and all the way up to October when basketball started. He will be FINE. As for the rest of em, they will be fine too, give a couple weeks.