Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Top Ten Week Two
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I can assure you he does follow baseball, and knows every answer to those questions. And you are right that most people on this site doesn't know the answers to these questions, but some of us do. If you, or if you have kids, who have ever been in the recruiting process you should know the answers to these questions. I wouldn't go as far to challenge what he knows about baseball if you admit yourself that you know nothing of what he is talking about. Anybody can find these answers out, if they have a search engine on their computer.

Belfry and Pike Central have came out red hot, and you have to give them credit for what they have done this far in the season, which is only a couple of games. That's what people need to realize, it's only a couple of games in the season. I'm not a fan of JC, but they have started off slowly due to the lack of practice they have had on their field. Which by the way is non-existent. How good do you think Belfry or PCC would be right now if they didn't have a field to practice on, and was having to use the gym for everyday drills. It's impossible. They will still finish in the top 3 in the 57th district.
I will challenge anyone on here as far as baseball knowlege, I posted a while back that if Belfry kids are coached right and are played in the right positions they will be very successful this year and I do think they will compete in the top 4 of the region. I agree that JC will finish in the top 3 in the 57th but can honestly say that Belfry will finish in the 3 of the 60th lol. JC is good but Belfry is also and you guys will see this they are loaded at the pitching position and that is what counts. I will put our top 4 against anyone in the region. I will not argue this point. I say watch and see.
Kyle5_88 Wrote:I will challenge anyone on here as far as baseball knowlege, I posted a while back that if Belfry kids are coached right and are played in the right positions they will be very successful this year and I do think they will compete in the top 4 of the region. I agree that JC will finish in the top 3 in the 57th but can honestly say that Belfry will finish in the 3 of the 60th lol. JC is good but Belfry is also and you guys will see this they are loaded at the pitching position and that is what counts. I will put our top 4 against anyone in the region. I will not argue this point. I say watch and see.

You can't make a statement like that, and then not want to argue it. Belfry is a great team, and as you mentioned will be in the top 4 in the region. I agree with that. However, you say they have 4 pitchers that are as good or better than any other pitching staff in the region? Paintsville has Grimm and Lyons. You have two kids on Belfry that are better than them? LC has Shepherd, Cyrus, Michaels. You really think Belfry has 3 pitchers that are better than these guys? I know your response will be yes, but please give some kind of reasoning behind it, because I just don't see it.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You can't make a statement like that, and then not want to argue it. Belfry is a great team, and as you mentioned will be in the top 4 in the region. I agree with that. However, you say they have 4 pitchers that are as good or better than any other pitching staff in the region? Paintsville has Grimm and Lyons. You have two kids on Belfry that are better than them? LC has Shepherd, Cyrus, Michaels. You really think Belfry has 3 pitchers that are better than these guys? I know your response will be yes, but please give some kind of reasoning behind it, because I just don't see it.

I agree, I doubt that they are better than the kids you have named.
Also anybody who thinks their team has D1 athletes on it needs to watch the first two minutes of this video.....

http://www.ncsasports.org/college-recruiting/faq-2/
Kyle5_88 Wrote:I will challenge anyone on here as far as baseball knowlege, I posted a while back that if Belfry kids are coached right and are played in the right positions they will be very successful this year and I do think they will compete in the top 4 of the region. I agree that JC will finish in the top 3 in the 57th but can honestly say that Belfry will finish in the 3 of the 60th lol. JC is good but Belfry is also and you guys will see this they are loaded at the pitching position and that is what counts. I will put our top 4 against anyone in the region. I will not argue this point. I say watch and see.
Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Even though JC lost their first game to Belfry they were very much in that game. They jumped out to a 4-0 lead and Belfry took advantage of 4 very crucial errors the last two innings. Belfry capialized on what is very much part of the game, and converted those errors into scores. It can legitamately be said that JC gave the game away. But no matter the score said that on that day that Belfry was the better team. The interesting thing is that Belfry players have been able to be out on their field since Feb 15, JC not one single time, and still it took JC errors for Belfry to have a chance of getting the win. Let's see how loud you can crow when they get 2 months of practice under their belt. I remember a JC 8th grader (Cody Parker) completly shutting Belfry down @ Belfry last season, so the Blanton/Fyffe factor didn't even apply in that game. Let's see if you can put the ball in play against him , or Conley. Heck, Conley beat you all too last season @ Lawrence Co. as well. And they did annilate Letcher in their second game, so it dont sound to me like they are doing all that poorly despite all of the obstacles.

As far as rankings, if all you are doing is going by wins and losses , then this is a total waste of time. Nobody is taking into consideration a strength of opponent played, or any other underlying circumstances. All of these inter 15th region wins really dont mean a whole lot in my opinion. I fully expect for Johnson Central to come into district play with a less than stellar W/L record, because of the brutalness of their schedule. The only other team with enough guts to attempt a similar schedule is Lawrence Co. That is part of the reason why Johnson Central has been to Applebees twice in the last 4 years. They are like Lawrence Co., they dont back down from no-one. The year they went to the final 4 they has an 18-17 record going into the district tournament because of very similat scheduling. I would say that most at JC could give a tiddly toot about someones rankings on a message board. In the very end their schedule will pay off it's dividends, just like it will for LC. LC is IMO opinion a legit final 4 team. If coming from behind for a win in the first game of the season makes your season, then crow while you can.
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:I'm pretty sure almost no one on here knows what you are talking about Mr. Kimball. This is totally off subject. But what Blakcat_student is talking about the standings. He is correct. JC hasn't showed they can compete yet. Pikeville is struggling so they are farther down. You obvisouly don't follow baseball cause you havn't been seeing what Belfy and Pike Central are doing.

Sonny, I've probably seen more high school baseball in the last year than you have seen your entire life, and I dont care how old you are. There is nobody, and I mean nobody that has kept up with 15th region baseball more over the years than I have. When you travel up and down the whole eastern seaboard and see and play against the very best players in the US, when you are playing for a NABF national championship title game, when you sit in John Cohen's office listening to a scholarship offer, and add countless other things on to it, then you can tell me a thing or two.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Even though JC lost their first game to Belfry they were very much in that game. They jumped out to a 4-0 lead and Belfry took advantage of 4 very crucial errors the last two innings. Belfry capialized on what is very much part of the game, and converted those errors into scores. It can legitamately be said that JC gave the game away. But no matter the score said that on that day that Belfry was the better team. The interesting thing is that Belfry players have been able to be out on their field since Feb 15, JC not one single time, and still it took JC errors for Belfry to have a chance of getting the win. Let's see how loud you can crow when they get 2 months of practice under their belt. I remember a JC 8th grader (Cody Parker) completly shutting Belfry down @ Belfry last season, so the Blanton/Fyffe factor didn't even apply in that game. Let's see if you can put the ball in play against him , or Conley. Heck, Conley beat you all too last season @ Lawrence Co. as well. And they did annilate Letcher in their second game, so it dont sound to me like they are doing all that poorly despite all of the obstacles.

As far as rankings, if all you are doing is going by wins and losses , then this is a total waste of time. Nobody is taking into consideration a strength of opponent played, or any other underlying circumstances. All of these inter 15th region wins really dont mean a whole lot in my opinion. I fully expect for Johnson Central to come into district play with a less than stellar W/L record, because of the brutalness of their schedule. The only other team with enough guts to attempt a similar schedule is Lawrence Co. That is part of the reason why Johnson Central has been to Applebees twice in the last 4 years. They are like Lawrence Co., they dont back down from no-one. The year they went to the final 4 they has an 18-17 record going into the district tournament because of very similat scheduling. I would say that most at JC could give a tiddly toot about someones rankings on a message board. In the very end their schedule will pay off it's dividends, just like it will for LC. LC is IMO opinion a legit final 4 team. If coming from behind for a win in the first game of the season makes your season, then crow while you can.

I will agree with you on that, it does seem like year after year JC and LC have the hardest schedules in the 15th. Therefore, W's don't really matter, and really on the KHSBCA website, that's pretty much all they go by too, so that's a wash. Basically I guess by the time post season comes around rankings are worth nothing, and will not play into anything, but teams that are consistently playing some of the best teams in the state will be around to laugh at the ones who won 20 games against 15 and 14th region teams.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I will agree with you on that, it does seem like year after year JC and LC have the hardest schedules in the 15th. Therefore, W's don't really matter, and really on the KHSBCA website, that's pretty much all they go by too, so that's a wash. Basically I guess by the time post season comes around rankings are worth nothing, and will not play into anything, but teams that are consistently playing some of the best teams in the state will be around to laugh at the ones who won 20 games against 15 and 14th region teams.

I respect all of the coaches that are members of the KHSBCA, but their rankings are basicly worthless. Look at their rankings going into post season play every year, and then see who makes it to Applebees. Half to 2/3rd's of those teams never make it.
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:I'm pretty sure almost no one on here knows what you are talking about Mr. Kimball. This is totally off subject. But what Blakcat_student is talking about the standings. He is correct. JC hasn't showed they can compete yet. Pikeville is struggling so they are farther down. You obvisouly don't follow baseball cause you havn't been seeing what Belfy and Pike Central are doing.
Well I am glad to see that someone can admit that. It's been obvious for a long time. Every question that I posed is all taken into consideration in the recruiting process. If nobody has a clue as to what I am talking about, then they should all probably remain silent about anyone's potential to play at any level after high school.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Even though JC lost their first game to Belfry they were very much in that game. They jumped out to a 4-0 lead and Belfry took advantage of 4 very crucial errors the last two innings. Belfry capialized on what is very much part of the game, and converted those errors into scores. It can legitamately be said that JC gave the game away. But no matter the score said that on that day that Belfry was the better team. The interesting thing is that Belfry players have been able to be out on their field since Feb 15, JC not one single time, and still it took JC errors for Belfry to have a chance of getting the win. Let's see how loud you can crow when they get 2 months of practice under their belt. I remember a JC 8th grader (Cody Parker) completly shutting Belfry down @ Belfry last season, so the Blanton/Fyffe factor didn't even apply in that game. Let's see if you can put the ball in play against him , or Conley. Heck, Conley beat you all too last season @ Lawrence Co. as well. And they did annilate Letcher in their second game, so it dont sound to me like they are doing all that poorly despite all of the obstacles.

Like you said it is early, I said I will not argue lets let the season play out. You guys don't realize the talent that is coming thru Belfry the next few years. Great feeder program in place. Ask anyone from this side of the mountain this senior class is the first of many that is full of talented players. As far as pitchers go you will be able to name them at the end of the season. If coached right these kids have the talent and heart to win any game, and I believe our coach will even agree with that. I am not taking anything away from JC I just believe this is the year Belfry will compete with the top programs of the 15th.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Smile

Glad to give u a smile.
Kyle5_88 Wrote:Like you said it is early, I said I will not argue lets let the season play out. You guys don't realize the talent that is coming thru Belfry the next few years. Great feeder program in place. Ask anyone from this side of the mountain this senior class is the first of many that is full of talented players. As far as pitchers go you will be able to name them at the end of the season. If coached right these kids have the talent and heart to win any game, and I believe our coach will even agree with that. I am not taking anything away from JC I just believe this is the year Belfry will compete with the top programs of the 15th.
What you may not understand is that I know the players in this senior class pretty good, seen and been around them for quite a while now. I agree they can compete.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Sonny, I've probably seen more high school baseball in the last year than you have seen your entire life, and I dont care how old you are. There is nobody, and I mean nobody that has kept up with 15th region baseball more over the years than I have. When you travel up and down the whole eastern seaboard and see and play against the very best players in the US, when you are playing for a NABF national championship title game, when you sit in John Cohen's office listening to a scholarship offer, and add countless other things on to it, then you can tell me a thing or two.

I don't care how much you have seen in the past. I'm just saying in the week 2 standings that JC is not one of the top 5. This is cause they arn't starting out good. It doesn't matter they dont have a feild. I mean I'm sure they could have kept from making the errors if they did but thats bad luck for them. They got beat fair and square. By the end of the season they will be back where they should be but for now they will be down there til they prove they can move up.
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:I don't care how much you have seen in the past. I'm just saying in the week 2 standings that JC is not one of the top 5. This is cause they arn't starting out good. It doesn't matter they dont have a feild. I mean I'm sure they could have kept from making the errors if they did but thats bad luck for them. They got beat fair and square. By the end of the season they will be back where they should be but for now they will be down there til they prove they can move up.

You have a good point, but I think Kimball as well as I do this too, it's hard to just take week by week. I have a hard time not looking at the whole pitcure instead of breaking it down to just a week by week basis. If we were doing that then your right, but I think JC is and will be back up the rankings before too long. They just have too much big-game experience from their players. Their pitching is down, but they have a couple of guys who can step up and win some games. They still have the 3rd best pitching staff in the region, even with losing Blanton and Fyffe.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You have a good point, but I think Kimball as well as I do this too, it's hard to just take week by week. I have a hard time not looking at the whole pitcure instead of breaking it down to just a week by week basis. If we were doing that then your right, but I think JC is and will be back up the rankings before too long. They just have too much big-game experience from their players. Their pitching is down, but they have a couple of guys who can step up and win some games. They still have the 3rd best pitching staff in the region, even with losing Blanton and Fyffe.
I disagree on the pitching staff but we will see. We can beat this to death, but time will tell. The one thing JC has that Belfry, P'burg, PCC, is tournament experience and that is the only thing I will conceed. I know Belfry plays a very tough schedule this year. That should help them I don't expect a dominant winning record from them myself.
Kyle5_88 Wrote:I disagree on the pitching staff but we will see. We can beat this to death, but time will tell. The one thing JC has that Belfry, P'burg, PCC, is tournament experience and that is the only thing I will conceed. I know Belfry plays a very tough schedule this year. That should help them I don't expect a dominant winning record from them myself.

I won't argue with you on the pitching staff. Basically because there is no arguement. However, your saying that Belfry has a hard schedule? Have you looked at their schedule? Not too mention they just got beat by Russell 14-8, who is arguabllly the worst team in the 16th region this year. Belfry's schedule is no where near some of other schools who are among the top in the region. I am going to post three schedules below and you can't tell me that Belfry's is hard compared to these. Belfry has a very easy schedule if they are wanting to compete with the top.

Belfry's schedule
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...8?id=26869

Johnson Central's schedule
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...8?id=26980

Lawrence County's Schedule
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...8?id=26987
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I won't argue with you on the pitching staff. Basically because there is no arguement. However, your saying that Belfry has a hard schedule? Have you looked at their schedule? Not too mention they just got beat by Russell 14-8, who is arguabllly the worst team in the 16th region this year. Belfry's schedule is no where near some of other schools who are among the top in the region. I am going to post three schedules below and you can't tell me that Belfry's is hard compared to these. Belfry has a very easy schedule if they are wanting to compete with the top.

Belfry's schedule

It looks to me that Belfry may have one of the easiest schedules in all of the 15th region. The only challange that I can see are the 3 teams out of the 57th district.

Thanks for posting the schedules. This is a perfect example of what I have been talking about. Johnson Central also had Louisville Male just yesterday as well , but was cancelled.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:It looks to me that Belfry may have one of the easiest schedules in all of the 15th region. The only challange that I can see are the 3 teams out of the 57th district.

I agree I don't see any other team that is worthy of being a competitive opponent.
Lets try and get this back on-topic before I close this thread!
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I won't argue with you on the pitching staff. Basically because there is no arguement. However, your saying that Belfry has a hard schedule? Have you looked at their schedule? Not too mention they just got beat by Russell 14-8, who is arguabllly the worst team in the 16th region this year. Belfry's schedule is no where near some of other schools who are among the top in the region. I am going to post three schedules below and you can't tell me that Belfry's is hard compared to these. Belfry has a very easy schedule if they are wanting to compete with the top.

Belfry's schedule

Belfry had already used its top 3 pitchers in the Pikeville an Sheldon Clark game, Robert T runyon(who has the potential to be one of the best pitchers in the region) started against Russell an had a horrible apperiance, he just cant seem to put it together in a game at this point... The score was 8-8 until the 9th inning when Belfry had to bring in someone who hadnt pitched in a year got lit up... The great thing about this Belfry team so far this season is that they have proved that they can get behind early an keep their composure an put runs together late an win ball games... Belfry will be in the hunt for a region title in May I guarantee it... BTW Russell is not the worst team in the 16th, the are middle of the pack in a very good region... They could possibly win the 15th...
kyr450 Wrote:Belfry had already used its top 3 pitchers in the Pikeville an Sheldon Clark game, Robert T runyon(who has the potential to be one of the best pitchers in the region) started against Russell an had a horrible apperiance, he just cant seem to put it together in a game at this point... The score was 8-8 until the 9th inning when Belfry had to bring in someone who hadnt pitched in a year got lit up... The great thing about this Belfry team so far this season is that they have proved that they can get behind early an keep their composure an put runs together late an win ball games... Belfry will be in the hunt for a region title in May I guarantee it... BTW Russell is not the worst team in the 16th, the are middle of the pack in a very good region... They could possibly win the 15th...

The only two teams worse than Russell are Lewis and West Carter. This is the worst the 16th has been in a long time. Greenup is the favorite and close behind is Boyd. Other than that it is really a down year for that region. Russell has no shot at a regional title in a down region. You all got beat pretty bad by them. I understand that you ran out of pitching, but that just goes to show you that Belfry can not win the region. If they don't have enough pitching to even get by Sheldon Clark, Pikeville, and Russell, then how do you expect them to win three games in the regional tournament having to go through teams like Lawrence, Paintsville, JC, Prestonsburg, etc. Granted only two of the first three will make it to the region, but you still have to win three games, and you just admitted you don't have the pitching to do that. I am in no way trying to bash on you guys, all i want is a little bit of reality from some people. LC, Paintsville, and JC are and will be thre front runners, regardless if you beat JC(that was the first time they have been on a field all year). Everyone else is way behind these teams, especially Paintsville and LC. Belfry could be a top 4 team this year I really believe that. I think they are and will be in the top 4 all year long. I just simply don't know how you expect to go up against some of these other top teams pitching staffs. Do you think Belfry's pitching is better than LC and Paintsville's? If you can give me some other reasons why you think they can win a region, then maybe i'm wrong just let me know, but i've yet to see any reasoning that makes sense to me.
kyr450 Wrote:Belfry had already used its top 3 pitchers in the Pikeville an Sheldon Clark game, Robert T runyon(who has the potential to be one of the best pitchers in the region) started against Russell an had a horrible apperiance, he just cant seem to put it together in a game at this point... The score was 8-8 until the 9th inning when Belfry had to bring in someone who hadnt pitched in a year got lit up... The great thing about this Belfry team so far this season is that they have proved that they can get behind early an keep their composure an put runs together late an win ball games... Belfry will be in the hunt for a region title in May I guarantee it... BTW Russell is not the worst team in the 16th, the are middle of the pack in a very good region... They could possibly win the 15th...
By the way lets not forget the awesome catch that the Russell CF made to prevent the Belfry win. I can't remember who hit it but but he smoked it I thought the game was over. I really believe that let the air out of Belfry in spite of there lack of pitching. By the way we only played 3 other games that week and used alot of pitching before Saturday. Belfry has 4 quality starters and possibly 5 if the other runyon kid gets going.
Kyle5_88 Wrote:By the way lets not forget the awesome catch that the Russell CF made to prevent the Belfry win. I can't remember who hit it but but he smoked it I thought the game was over. I really believe that let the air out of Belfry in spite of there lack of pitching. By the way we only played 3 other games that week and used alot of pitching before Saturday. Belfry has 4 quality starters and possibly 5 if the other runyon kid gets going.

This is just for conversational sake, but how fast does Belfry's ace throw? Velocity doesn't always mean anything I was really just curious. Who are the 4 quality starters this year for Belfry?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:This is just for conversational sake, but how fast does Belfry's ace throw? Velocity doesn't always mean anything I was really just curious. Who are the 4 quality starters this year for Belfry?
Dotson is probably the ace, I am guessing( I am within 2 or 3 mph) when I give these numbers but I am close and If I am wrong please correct me if someone knows the exact number. Dotson is in the mid 80's with Williamson throwng just as hard and getting more comfortable with every outing. Dotson has more junk and a ton more experience. Preston has been very impressive since later part of last year and may be our most dependable mid 70's, Like the other fan was saying Robert T runyon has the potential to be one of the top four in the region if he gets it together. We also have Robert L Runyon that I hope finally got on track Saturday.
Kyle5_88 Wrote:Dotson is probably the ace, I am guessing( I am within 2 or 3 mph) when I give these numbers but I am close and If I am wrong please correct me if someone knows the exact number. Dotson is in the mid 80's with Williamson throwng just as hard and getting more comfortable with every outing. Dotson has more junk and a ton more experience. Preston has been very impressive since later part of last year and may be our most dependable mid 70's, Like the other fan was saying Robert T runyon has the potential to be one of the top four in the region if he gets it together. We also have Robert L Runyon that I hope finally got on track Saturday.

I seen Dotson play last year. The fastest I would say he was throwing last year was about mid to high 70's. He must have really improved this year to be hitting in the mid-80's.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I seen Dotson play last year. The fastest I would say he was throwing last year was about mid to high 70's. He must have really improved this year to be hitting in the mid-80's.
He has !!!!!!!!!!!! You're man Fyffe picked up 10 mph between his Jr and Sr year or atleast that is what JC's fans said. He threw hard low 90's. I will say this we have faced 5 teams this year and Dotson and Williamson are the hardest throwers I have seen yet.
Kyle5_88 Wrote:He has !!!!!!!!!!!! You're man Fyffe picked up 10 mph between his Jr and Sr year or atleast that is what JC's fans said. He threw hard low 90's. I will say this we have faced 5 teams this year and Dotson and Williamson are the hardest throwers I have seen yet.

I would hope that they are the hardest. Look at who you've played....

Shelby Valley-didn't make regional tournament
Johnson Central-Lost two top pitchers, plus best hitter, and key infielders
Pikeville-Lost best pitcher to shoulder surgery, not much after him
Sheldon Clark-Didn't make regional tournament
Russell-Lost first round of district to the worst team in the region last season

You haven't played ANYBODY with a hard throwing kid yet. If they are throwing anywhere close to 80 then they are the hardest so far compared to these teams. Aren't you the same one who said Belfry had a really tough schedule?
Which one of the Runyon's is Pete's son? L. or T. ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Which one of the Runyon's is Pete's son? L. or T. ?

As in Pete Runyon the umpire?