Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Hitters in Eastern KY
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:???Who exactly is that directed towards. I don't know what your problem is with me, but I have never once made a negative personal comment towards you, and I would appreciate it if you could just have a discussion without making it your personal mission to try and belittle comments that aren't your own. I have not a clue of how old you are or anything of that nature. If your a young kid than I understand this nonsense, but if not then I really don't.

Wasn't your comment. I appreciate the concern. Oxford Style debate is a legitimate kind and is only troubling if one thinks their self worth is bound up in the rightness or wrongness of their opinons. Who is ranked #1 in the NAIA?
thecavemaster Wrote:Wasn't your comment. I appreciate the concern. Oxford Style debate is a legitimate kind and is only troubling if one thinks their self worth is bound up in the rightness or wrongness of their opinons. Who is ranked #1 in the NAIA?

I believe that you have logged into the wrong web site, I think you were looking for the survey course for western literature. I'm sure it's offered online through one of the state university web sites...lol

by the way Yogi Berra has an entire book of famous baseball quotes you might want to use some of those, since this is a baseball thread from a sports forum.

But to directly respond to your smart a$% comment...I know that this thread is open to individual opinion and everyone has their opinion about their own kid, themselves, or perhaps maybe a friend....but a consensus opinion is more relevant.....and I've seen two of the kids on my list for 3-4 years and the other two get a lot of press as well...ie: more than one persons opinion so this needs no further comment...
thecavemaster Wrote:Wasn't your comment. I appreciate the concern. Oxford Style debate is a legitimate kind and is only troubling if one thinks their self worth is bound up in the rightness or wrongness of their opinons. Who is ranked #1 in the NAIA?

NAIA? Lubbock Christian University from Texas. They have been for the past couple of weeks. They have a 50-2 record this year.

Here is the complete list....

http://naia.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spe...08aae.html
INSIGHT Wrote:I believe that you have logged into the wrong web site, I think you were looking for the survey course for western literature. I'm sure it's offered online through one of the state university web sites...lol

by the way Yogi Berra has an entire book of famous baseball quotes you might want to use some of those, since this is a baseball thread from a sports forum.

But to directly respond to your smart a$% comment...I know that this thread is open to individual opinion and everyone has their opinion about their own kid, themselves, or perhaps maybe a friend....but a consensus opinion is more relevant.....and I've seen two of the kids on my list for 3-4 years and the other two get a lot of press as well...ie: more than one persons opinion so this needs no further comment...

And I have seen the Freeman kid hit, and according to a couple of recruiters I heard talking (consensus?), he can really hit. By watching for three or four years these kids, either you are one heck of a baseball fan, or you have a bit of a vested interest in this discussion. My guess (and it is just a guess) is the latter. Oh, a survey of Western Lit is a good class, but this is BGR. Thanks for the concern, though.
thecavemaster Wrote:I do not disagree that the schedule of those schools is tougher, top to bottom. I do not disagree that Freeman's .700 is a bit inflated. I do think that Freeman is a D1 type hitter and can hit with any of the guys from these other teams.
On all the post's that I've read of yours cavemaster, this is what I agree with most. Freeman has all the mechanics and definitely has the power to hit at the Division I level. I've even heard that UK was looking at him right now. I wouldn't be suprised that next year he would be signing his letter of intent with the Wildcats.

And if he really is hitting .702, that's remarkable.
thecavemaster Wrote:And I have seen the Freeman kid hit, and according to a couple of recruiters I heard talking (consensus?), he can really hit. By watching for three or four years these kids, either you are one heck of a baseball fan, or you have a bit of a vested interest in this discussion. My guess (and it is just a guess) is the latter. Oh, a survey of Western Lit is a good class, but this is BGR. Thanks for the concern, though.

If that's the case, then that's great for the KID..I'm not doubting his ability at all

but I have not seen him play, nor heard anything about him until this post, but that's why I started this thread ,,,to get input from all the regions in east KY.

You have to admit .706 is extreamely high if he has faced any decent pitching this year.....
INSIGHT Wrote:If that's the case, then that's great for the KID..I'm not doubting his ability at all

but I have not seen him play, nor heard anything about him until this post, but that's why I started this thread ,,,to get input from all the regions in east KY.

You have to admit .706 is extreamely high if he has faced any decent pitching this year.....

.702 Insight come on! haha! Regardless of the pitching that is remarkable, but you throw any of the other 4 that was mentioned into Estill's schedule and they would have similar numbers.
INSIGHT Wrote:If that's the case, then that's great for the KID..I'm not doubting his ability at all

When you read this know that I have never seen the kid play, he may be the next great thing I have no clue... I am speaking of pure experience...

But for a kid to hit .706 there is one of three things that are going on (IMO)

1. He is a flat out stud
2. He is a good hitter that has not seen 75 mph more then one or two times
or 3. The scorebook keeper at his hs is a moron....

What I mean but number three is that I played against to kids on two different teams they were both good but one played at a school where the guy who keep the book added errors as hits and walks went to his batting average and he hit like .600... The other (who was a better hitter) hit around .375.... So believe me some times things do not always look as they seem

I said earlier in this thread that the .702 is inflated; however, in slow pitch softball that would be a pretty good average. Freeman can hit the ball.
thecavemaster Wrote:I said earlier in this thread that the .702 is inflated; however, in slow pitch softball that would be a pretty good average. Freeman can hit the ball.

Yep it has been established throughout this thread that the "kid" can hit. I guess that would be a good place to end the discussion. Do you agree? Truce?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Yep it has been established throughout this thread that the "kid" can hit. I guess that would be a good place to end the discussion. Do you agree? Truce?

Truce... by the way, I was never disputing that Greenup and Lawrence et al. were not very good baseball teams and that those other kids were not very good hitters.
thecavemaster Wrote:Truce... by the way, I was never disputing that Greenup and Lawrence et al. were not very good baseball teams and that those other kids were not very good hitters.

I know that, I didn't think you were meaning that. I know Estill is a good team as well. I never meant they wasn't.
Bosox Fan Wrote:When you read this know that I have never seen the kid play, he may be the next great thing I have no clue... I am speaking of pure experience...

But for a kid to hit .706 there is one of three things that are going on (IMO)

1. He is a flat out stud
2. He is a good hitter that has not seen 75 mph more then one or two times
or 3. The scorebook keeper at his hs is a moron....

What I mean but number three is that I played against to kids on two different teams they were both good but one played at a school where the guy who keep the book added errors as hits and walks went to his batting average and he hit like .600... The other (who was a better hitter) hit around .375.... So believe me some times things do not always look as they seem

I agree 100%!!!
Lewis Counties got some pretty good hitters in a 26 game regular season

Jeremy Lykins avg-546 Hrs 4
Frankie Witten avg-438 rbi's 34
ukfootballrocks Wrote:Lewis Counties got some pretty good hitters in a 26 game regular season

Jeremy Lykins avg-546 Hrs 4
Frankie Witten avg-438 rbi's 34

Those numbers have to be inflated. I seen them play 3 times this year and I don't remember anyone from that team having anybody that could hit over .500. Who knows those though. There are so many teams that count errors as hits and stuff like that. So now every time I here numbers like this from weak teams I question it. So sorry if I question this, but like I said you just never know how they are keeping stats.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Those numbers have to be inflated. I seen them play 3 times this year and I don't remember anyone from that team having anybody that could hit over .500. Who knows those though. There are so many teams that count errors as hits and stuff like that. So now every time I here numbers like this from weak teams I question it. So sorry if I question this, but like I said you just never know how they are keeping stats.

I have a hard time believing it as well.... Why are these kids so good but have not singed anywhere to play college ball? Also this is a real question.. not me being mean.... But who was the last player from Lewis to play college baseball? Also what grade are these two in?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Those numbers have to be inflated. I seen them play 3 times this year and I don't remember anyone from that team having anybody that could hit over .500. Who knows those though. There are so many teams that count errors as hits and stuff like that. So now every time I here numbers like this from weak teams I question it. So sorry if I question this, but like I said you just never know how they are keeping stats.
Add a fielder's choice as something that commonly gets put in the book as a hit as well.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Add a fielder's choice as something that commonly gets put in the book as a hit as well.

Nice call
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Add a fielder's choice as something that commonly gets put in the book as a hit as well.

I would say the fielder's choice are always put down as hits in some programs, because a lot of the times the person keeping the book has no clue the difference. Only a select few programs in Eastern Kentucky, IMO, have correct stats.
Lykins is a senior being recruited by Shawnee
Witten is a junior being recruited by Berea

The stats are not inflated ask a team in the 16th region and he will tell you guys that these to can hit!
ukfootballrocks Wrote:Lykins is a senior being recruited by Shawnee
Witten is a junior being recruited by Berea

The stats are not inflated ask a team in the 16th region and he will tell you guys that these to can hit!

I don't have to ask anyone in the 16th I saw them play myself. I can see both of them playing at Berea. Shawnee? I don't know about that one. They are not that good of a team anymore, but I still can't see them offering a scholarship. usually by this time most teams are finishing up there recruiting, and for the most part they are done with their 2008/2009 recruiting class. Most teams that are still recruiting have either had more money come available or they are competing for a kid who hasn't made up his mind. I am not calling you a liar, but I am just saying that as far as a scholarship goes, I would think they maybe having to walk on at this point. Who really knows what the situation is though. All my point was is that I didn't see anything out of either of them to make me think they would go to college for baseball, but I have only seen them 3 or 4 times this season.
Belfry's Tyler Dotson is one the best hitters in EKY, batting right around .500 with 4 home runs an 55 rbi's, I dont know how many doubles he has but 75% of his hits are doubles, usually line drives in the gaps...
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I don't have to ask anyone in the 16th I saw them play myself. I can see both of them playing at Berea. Shawnee? I don't know about that one. They are not that good of a team anymore, but I still can't see them offering a scholarship. usually by this time most teams are finishing up there recruiting, and for the most part they are done with their 2008/2009 recruiting class. Most teams that are still recruiting have either had more money come available or they are competing for a kid who hasn't made up his mind. I am not calling you a liar, but I am just saying that as far as a scholarship goes, I would think they maybe having to walk on at this point. Who really knows what the situation is though. All my point was is that I didn't see anything out of either of them to make me think they would go to college for baseball, but I have only seen them 3 or 4 times this season.

Dermon (sr.) and shaw (sr.) from lewis county have signed to play for berea. Lykins hasn't received a scholarship but Shawnee is recruiting him. The last player from Lewis county to play college baseball is probably Clay Applegate who went to Alice Lloyd.
WannaBeaBalla Wrote:Dermon (sr.) and shaw (sr.) from lewis county have signed to play for berea. Lykins hasn't received a scholarship but Shawnee is recruiting him. The last player from Lewis county to play college baseball is probably Clay Applegate who went to Alice Lloyd.

Like I already said, I can see them playing at Berea. However, If the Lykins kid goes to Shawnee it will most likely be on a walk-on basis. Sometimes a school will take care of room/board and kids will mis-interpret that for a scholarship, but for most schools around the country they have already spent most of their scholarships by this point in the season. There are exceptions though, and I wish him luck.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Like I already said, I can see them playing at Berea. However, If the Lykins kid goes to Shawnee it will most likely be on a walk-on basis. Sometimes a school will take care of room/board and kids will mis-interpret that for a scholarship, but for most schools around the country they have already spent most of their scholarships by this point in the season. There are exceptions though, and I wish him luck.

Lykins went to Shawnee for a tryout and played really well. One of their coaches went to the district game to scout him. Berea will be a good fit for dermon and Shaw, who have already signed. They are also recruiting Witten and Frerichs. I'm glad to see that Lewis is finally getting some more interest and talent in their baseball program.
If the trio from Lawrence is not mentioned in this thread then it is a joke. Cyrus is batting around .470. Hayes is around .470-.480 with 8 jacks. Laney is in the .350 range with 4 jacks. Sounds pretty good to me. Plus they play the hardest schedule in eastern kentucky as well
RedSeal Wrote:If the trio from Lawrence is not mentioned in this thread then it is a joke. Cyrus is batting around .470. Hayes is around .470-.480 with 8 jacks. Laney is in the .350 range with 4 jacks. Sounds pretty good to me. Plus they play the hardest schedule in eastern kentucky as well

Greenup play a very tough schedule also.