Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seniors That Will Be Playing Baseball Next Year
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I know it is D1 but at this point I would rather go to a NAIA contender rather than Morehead.

Anyone that would turn down a D1 scolly to play NAIA isn't a very competive player. I don't care what D1 school you play at the competition is much stronger than NAIA conferences. There are some very good NAIA schools out there that can play with some D1 schools on a given day, but game in and game out the D1 school plays the tougher schedule. As a player why not give yourself the challenge of playing at the highest level that you could.
kyrifle Wrote:Anyone that would turn down a D1 scolly to play NAIA isn't a very competive player. I don't care what D1 school you play at the competition is much stronger than NAIA conferences. There are some very good NAIA schools out there that can play with some D1 schools on a given day, but game in and game out the D1 school plays the tougher schedule. As a player why not give yourself the challenge of playing at the highest level that you could.

Because right now at Morhead you would be taken a lot of beatings. It is as competitive in some NAIA conferences than in some of the D1 conferences. Unless you are in a major conference there is not much difference in the two. Take Kentucky State for example, they are D2, and quite possibly the worst college baseball team in the state, with the exception of Berea, but they get killed and mercied by every NAIA team they face. Trust me when you get into the tough conferences of the NAIA it is as competitive as a lot of D1 conferences.
Will Ward
Watson Ritchie to Pikeville College
Panther Thunder Wrote:Will Ward
Watson Ritchie to Pikeville College

They are two athletic kids, and I hope they can adjust to college pitching, but from what I have seen from them they may struggle adapting to the pitching. I know they struggled hitting when the velocity got up, and especially hitting outside pitches. However, most kids will have a time period of adjusting to the competition, but some do it better than others. I think the hardest thing to adapt to when you get to that level is a college changeup. Counter that with a good fastball, and a lot of kids have trouble adjusting to it. I wish them luck...
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Because right now at Morhead you would be taken a lot of beatings. It is as competitive in some NAIA conferences than in some of the D1 conferences. Unless you are in a major conference there is not much difference in the two. Take Kentucky State for example, they are D2, and quite possibly the worst college baseball team in the state, with the exception of Berea, but they get killed and mercied by every NAIA team they face. Trust me when you get into the tough conferences of the NAIA it is as competitive as a lot of D1 conferences.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the glory days of Morehead baseball but MSU was the team to beat in the state of Ky. When Steve Hamilton retired the baseball program took somewhat of a set back in recruiting. Until this year MSU hasn't had a coach that could or would recruit really good pitchers. MSU has a new coach in town now. He seems to be tryhing to get the better pitchers coming out of high school.
Let me ask you a question. Why is it that the pitchers that transfer from MSU (D1), that has had a pretty good record in the OVC, go to NAIA schools and become their best pitchers on the staff?
MSU played pretty good against some pretty good competition this season. They beat Marshall twice, they were leading UK 4-0 going into the 7th inning before UK had two homers in the 8th & 9th innings to win the game. Louisvill beat them 2-0 in a very well played game.
D1 is still a far tougher competition than any NAIA teams on a whole.
Devon Pelfrey will be playing at Lindsey Wilson and I believe that Josh Napier will be going as well to Lindsey Wilson.
kyrifle Wrote:I don't know if you're old enough to remember the glory days of Morehead baseball but MSU was the team to beat in the state of Ky. When Steve Hamilton retired the baseball program took somewhat of a set back in recruiting. Until this year MSU hasn't had a coach that could or would recruit really good pitchers. MSU has a new coach in town now. He seems to be tryhing to get the better pitchers coming out of high school.
Let me ask you a question. Why is it that the pitchers that transfer from MSU (D1), that has had a pretty good record in the OVC, go to NAIA schools and become their best pitchers on the staff?
MSU played pretty good against some pretty good competition this season. They beat Marshall twice, they were leading UK 4-0 going into the 7th inning before UK had two homers in the 8th & 9th innings to win the game. Louisvill beat them 2-0 in a very well played game.

I am well aware of that and yes that did have a couple of games in which they played good. They also barely beat a very mediocre KIAC team from the NAIA in Alice Loyd. They take whoopings from a lot of schools and Morehead should have beat them very handily, but didn't. They have had just as many let downs this year that they have success's. In a couple of years they may be different, but right now they are not the team to beat in Ky.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I am well aware of that and yes that did have a couple of games in which they played good. They also barely beat a very mediocre KIAC team from the NAIA in Alice Loyd. They take whoopings from a lot of schools and Morehead should have beat them very handily, but didn't. They have had just as many let downs this year that they have success's. In a couple of years they may be different, but right now they are not the team to beat in Ky.

I didn't say they were the team to beat in Ky now, said they use to be. We were talking about D1 competition compared to NAIA competition. Do you actually think the KIAC and NAIA teams saw MSU's better pitchers, no way. This new coach seems to be going in the right direction. MSU did take some a_ _ kicking this year but I know that the competition in the OVC is very good, much better than KIAC & NAIA.
kyrifle Wrote:I didn't say they were the team to beat in Ky now, said they use to be. We were talking about D1 competition compared to NAIA competition. Do you actually think the KIAC and NAIA teams saw MSU's better pitchers, no way. This new coach seems to be going in the right direction. MSU did take some a_ _ kicking this year but I know that the competition in the OVC is very good, much better than KIAC & NAIA.

There is no doubt that it should be better, but some years it is not. We could go back and forth forever on this, but it was a mid-week game so Alice Loyd would not have been throwing their best either.
kyrifle Wrote:I don't know if you're old enough to remember the glory days of Morehead baseball but MSU was the team to beat in the state of Ky. When Steve Hamilton retired the baseball program took somewhat of a set back in recruiting. Until this year MSU hasn't had a coach that could or would recruit really good pitchers. MSU has a new coach in town now. He seems to be tryhing to get the better pitchers coming out of high school.
Let me ask you a question. Why is it that the pitchers that transfer from MSU (D1), that has had a pretty good record in the OVC, go to NAIA schools and become their best pitchers on the staff? MSU played pretty good against some pretty good competition this season. They beat Marshall twice, they were leading UK 4-0 going into the 7th inning before UK had two homers in the 8th & 9th innings to win the game. Louisvill beat them 2-0 in a very well played game.

I am not sure who you are referring to with this statement, but I can give you one example of that situation that makes that statement incorrect.

Tyler Lee, who transferred to Cumberland this year. Lee was projected to be Morehead's #1 pitcher this year. He was also listed in Baseball America as a possible draft pick this year as was Adam Blakey. However, he ended up not even being Cumberlands #1 pitcher. Blakey was. So in esence he went from being Morehead's #1 to Cumberland's #2.

So the competition you are referring to varies on which NAIA school you are referring to, and also which D1 you are referring to. I am not referring to the LSU's of the world, but there is a lot of D1 schools that are not as competitive as some of the NAIA programs out there.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Actually I think that just about everybody that goes to ALC pretty much gets a full ride in some sort or fashion. I dont think that there is actual scholarship money available to play baseball at ALC.

you dont know what your talking about either.
your both pathetic.
High_Heat Wrote:you dont know what your talking about either.
your both pathetic.
Smile
High_Heat Wrote:you dont know what your talking about either.
your both pathetic.

Chill out! All you had to do was do a little research before you started telling everybody they were wrong and it would have saved some face for you, but you had to keep on pushing and pushing, and apparently you still are...People get so hateful when they stay up past their bed time!
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Chill out! All you had to do was do a little research before you started telling everybody they were wrong and it would have saved some face for you, but you had to keep on pushing and pushing, and apparently you still are...People get so hateful when they stay up past their bed time!

atleast i have a life and im not on BGR 24/7.
High_Heat Wrote:atleast i have a life and im not on BGR 24/7.

Good One! Maybe you should use more of that time getting your facts together before you post.
Moorehead will be a better team for sure in the next couple of years.i know for a fact they are getting better players and are out on the road recruiting hard. the last part of the year they were letting a lot of younger players get some time in.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Good One! Maybe you should use more of that time getting your facts together before you post.

like i said i have a life, im doing productive things for my family instead of on here fighting with people I dont even know...LMAO
High_Heat Wrote:like i said i have a life, im doing productive things for my family instead of on here fighting with people I dont even know...LMAO

No, actually you ARE on here fighting with someone you don't know, so don't be a hypocrite.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:No, actually you ARE on here fighting with someone you don't know, so don't be a hypocrite.

you have almost 4,000 posts and i have 52, and you joined a month after me.
get a life.

we can settle all of this right now no matter what types of baseball it is it will be competitive..........as far as going D1 bieng better than NAIA i do agree but some kids only have the chance as bieng NAIA status......Now alot of people do not know but there are plenty of NAIA teams that could beat or even whoop up on D1 schools with ease lets take Lewis Clark State College for instance if you think that this team plus many more NAIA schools then you obviously do not know anything about baseball......
High_Heat Wrote:you have almost 4,000 posts and i have 52, and you joined a month after me.
get a life.

I actually joined 4 years ago. Look at the posts per day, there is no possible way I could make that many. I won't get into why my join date says that, but trust me i have been on here for a long time, maybe not with this particular name, but I have been on here longer than that.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I am not sure who you are referring to with this statement, but I can give you one example of that situation that makes that statement incorrect.

Tyler Lee, who transferred to Cumberland this year. Lee was projected to be Morehead's #1 pitcher this year. He was also listed in Baseball America as a possible draft pick this year as was Adam Blakey. However, he ended up not even being Cumberlands #1 pitcher. Blakey was. So in esence he went from being Morehead's #1 to Cumberland's #2.

So the competition you are referring to varies on which NAIA school you are referring to, and also which D1 you are referring to. I am not referring to the LSU's of the world, but there is a lot of D1 schools that are not as competitive as some of the NAIA programs out there.
The pitcher you are talking about never won a game in college at the D-1 level...ever. But he goes down to an NAIA school and is All-Conf. So your saying he can't win a game at the highest level of competition in the NCAA but he goes to lower level school and is one of the best pitchers in the NAIA. So I think it's more due to the level change.
TRUEBALLAHOLLA Wrote:[COLOR="Black"]The pitcher you are talking about never won a game in college at the D-1 level...ever.[/COLOR] But he goes down to an NAIA school and is All-Conf. So your saying he can't win a game at the highest level of competition in the NCAA but he goes to lower level school and is one of the best pitchers in the NAIA. So I think it's more due to the level change.
That is not correct by any means. I dont know what Tyler's overall stats were at Morehead because Morehead erased all stats prior to the 2008 season on their web site. But, I can remember him having a 2-0 record at one point early in the season last year. I dont think that any pitcher at Morehead had stats that would knock your socks off though, other than probably Henry Babee. He very well may not have had a whole lot of wins in his two seasons at Morehead but, nobody else did either. I do think that it also was widely speculated that Tyler Lee as well as Tyler Bess would have been vying for the #1 spot in Moreheads rotation this season if he would have stayed.

I can also remember reading an article in one baseball publication, whether it was Baseball America or another one I cant really remember, but JackRabbit is correct in that both he and Cumberland teammate Adam Blakey were indeed mentioned as possible draft picks and were mentioned as players to watch. Sorry that I can not positively identify the publication as Baseball America, but both were listed by someone.

I can tell you this though, that Tyler is a very good lefty that can throw low 90's with a very sharp breaking ball. I can also attest to seeing several scouts throughout the season that came to watch him throw. There is no doubt in my mind that Tyler could have been a very good D1 category pitcher.

Pikeville also had a pitcher last season that was the best pitcher in the conference, namely Jordan Compton. I know he was drafted out of high school and played at Walter's State before enduring Tommy John surgery. I think that common sense would tell you that if a player was good enough to be drafted right out of high school, that he was good enough to play D1 baseball.

I do really think that at one point in the next couple of seasons that Morehead will return to some of the prominence that they once held. I think that Coach Sorg will turn the program around and once again have Morehead as one of the more respected college teams in the state.
kybaseball Wrote:Moorehead will be a better team for sure in the next couple of years.i know for a fact they are getting better players and are out on the road recruiting hard. the last part of the year they were letting a lot of younger players get some time in.

spell check (MOREHEAD).:mad:
SimplyDis1 Wrote:we can settle all of this right now no matter what types of baseball it is it will be competitive..........as far as going D1 bieng better than NAIA i do agree but some kids only have the chance as bieng NAIA status......Now alot of people do not know but there are plenty of NAIA teams that could beat or even whoop up on D1 schools with ease lets take Lewis Clark State College for instance if you think that this team plus many more NAIA schools then you obviously do not know anything about baseball......

You obviously agree that playing D1 is more competitive than NAIA. I don't think it matters a hill of beans where a kid plays as long as he plays. There are some really good D3 schools out there that can compete with some D1. That wasn't the premis of the post. The competition is what I'm talking about. Anybody that keeps up with baseball knows that there are really goods teams on every level.
As far as you thinking I know nothing about this game, you would be suprised. It's hard to have a good conversation on here with so many people who think their opinion is the only one that counts. It's childish.
Let me give you an example of a kid who could and probably should be playing at the D1 level and just fell through the cracks. I've got a friend who has 2 sons playing college baseball. One is a pitcher, a very good pitcher, who plays for a really good NAIA team. I know for a fact that D1 schools were looking at him. When these so called expert coaches are evaluating players they always have at least 3 plyers that they look at at every position. You have these players listed as a #1 ,#2 and sometimes a third player you are trying to decide who to give the scolly to. If you take to long as a coach waiting on the kid you have marked as your #1 to make up his mind to come to your school then the #2 gets an offer from a good NAIA school then the coach loses out on the kid that chose NAIA because he was tired waiting. This happens all the time. I think I've made my point and I don't expect anyone on here to agree with me, don't really care. Just an opinion from the cheap seats.
All of you need to SHUT UP!! Get back on topic. WHAT SENIORS WILL BE PLAYING BASEBALL NEXT YEAR? Grow up!!!
I have a question...

Who are some players that should have been signed to play somewhere but did not.... ?
kyrifle Wrote:You obviously agree that playing D1 is more competitive than NAIA. I don't think it matters a hill of beans where a kid plays as long as he plays. There are some really good D3 schools out there that can compete with some D1. That wasn't the premis of the post. The competition is what I'm talking about. Anybody that keeps up with baseball knows that there are really goods teams on every level.
As far as you thinking I know nothing about this game, you would be suprised. It's hard to have a good conversation on here with so many people who think their opinion is the only one that counts. It's childish.
Let me give you an example of a kid who could and probably should be playing at the D1 level and just fell through the cracks. I've got a friend who has 2 sons playing college baseball. One is a pitcher, a very good pitcher, who plays for a really good NAIA team. I know for a fact that D1 schools were looking at him. When these so called expert coaches are evaluating players they always have at least 3 plyers that they look at at every position. You have these players listed as a #1 ,#2 and sometimes a third player you are trying to decide who to give the scolly to. If you take to long as a coach waiting on the kid you have marked as your #1 to make up his mind to come to your school then the #2 gets an offer from a good NAIA school then the coach loses out on the kid that chose NAIA because he was tired waiting. This happens all the time. I think I've made my point and I don't expect anyone on here to agree with me, don't really care. Just an opinion from the cheap seats.

I dont care what your little numbers are posting i agree with you yes talent is in every level of baseball....but all i was saying is it doesnt matter what level that you play on some kids are better than others Yes......The main thing is getting to keep your carrer going and most importantly your School that is all I am saying and i know you will agree with me on that one.....
SimplyDis1 Wrote:I dont care what your little numbers are posting i agree with you yes talent is in every level of baseball....but all i was saying is it doesnt matter what level that you play on some kids are better than others Yes......The main thing is getting to keep your carrer going and most importantly your School that is all I am saying and i know you will agree with me on that one.....

Agree. Bottom line is that the player's at any level continue to compete until they can't anymore.
If my kid should ever be offered a scholarship, whether NAIA or D1, that would be great to me. Many sit on a bench for years and never see play time or very little play time at a D1 school. I'd be just as happy if they were actually getting to play the game they love at a NAIA school and getting their education paid for. A pat on your own back saying "Look at me..I play for a D1 school" doesn't always mean much.
To all the guys who are playing post-secondary, WHERE EVER IT IS, I congratulate you all!