Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are the top 8th grade boys teams in the state?
#34 for Betsy Layne is a heck of a player. They killed us this past weekend at the Sportsplex. I thought they looked a little tired when they played AB Combs. I think when Betsy Layne is 100%, they are as good or better than anyone in Eastern Ky.
MR. Slate Wrote:But they can't compete in the middle school state.

They can compete in the state. Their core group goes to Mary Queen of the Holy Rosery this year but I'm not sure about the name....I suspect they will still use Lexington Catholic name since thats what their uniforms says.I'm not so sure that Johnson Co. would need to worry tho because Ive seen your 8th grade team and they are excellent. I'm not saying that Lex cath would win the state anyway, but I think they are definitely top 5
knighted Wrote:They can compete in the state. Their core group goes to Mary Queen of the Holy Rosery this year so I'm not sure about the name....I suspect they will still use Lexington Catholic name since thats what their uniforms says.

Someone will throw a fit if they are allowed to play. I hope they do.
MR. Slate Wrote:Someone will throw a fit if they are allowed to play. I hope they do.

If they all go to the same parish school ( Mary Queen of the Holy Rosery) I can't understand why anyone would throw a fit? If you mean they would throw a fit it they use the Lexington Catholic name then that soulnds like a personal problem, but if the kids that play all all are enrolled in the same school then What difference does it make if they use Lexington Catholic as their team name instead of Mary Queen of the Holy Rosery? BTW.... when you said "I hope they do" did you mean you hope they throw a fit or hope they are allowed to play?
knighted Wrote:If they all go to the same parish school ( Mary Queen of the Holy Rosery) I can't understand why anyone would throw a fit? If you mean they would throw a fit it they use the Lexington Catholic name then that soulnds like a personal problem, but if the kids that play all all are enrolled in the same school then What difference does it make if they use Lexington Catholic as their team name instead of Mary Queen of the Holy Rosery? BTW.... when you said "I hope they do" did you mean you hope they throw a fit or hope they are allowed to play?

I hope they play. i like to see the best teams at the state tourney.
knighted Wrote:Guys Lexington Catholic 8th grade team as still not lost a single game in middle school ever. They played Ockerman( who had also not ever lost a game) last week end and beat them by 30 with a running clock. I think we are better than sleepers at this point. I'm sure Lex Cath will lose a few games this year(maybe not) but as of right now this group is 84-0 the last 2 years and 4-0 this year.

I saw Lexington Catholic 6th grade team play 2 years ago in Florence BCI tournament and they were not very good. They must of practiced alot or picked up a few.
footballfever Wrote:I saw Lexington Catholic 6th grade team play 2 years ago in Florence BCI tournament and they were not very good. They must of practiced alot or picked up a few.

I'm not too sure when you watched them in florence 2 yrs ago. If it was early in the year then it was before our football players hadjoined the team. If it was after nov. then you must be wrong in your timeline cause the only teams that gave Lex Cath any trouble that year was D'Ville and they were a AAU team that won the AAU State Tournament later on that year. BTW ... we still beat them 72-71 on a last second layup. I'm sure there are quite a few AAU teamss our there that would beat us this year but thats comparing apples to oranges. U teams can pick up kids from anywhere in the state. I'm just saying that Lex Cath is one of the top 5 middle school teams in the state. Lex CAth plays Georgetown middle tonight and Royal prin gs tomorrow and Clay County on Friday, so maybe we can gauge how good they are from the results of these games. I've been told that Clay Co. is very good this year.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt Wayne beat Knox in the KBA 7th grade Championship last year? If that is the case, how could you not rank them 1 and 2 right off the bat this season? :eyeroll:
Hitters_Count Wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt Wayne beat Knox in the KBA 7th grade Championship last year? If that is the case, how could you not rank them 1 and 2 right off the bat this season? :eyeroll:

That would be my top 2 for sure and Johnson Co. would be in the top 5
I think Wayne beat Virgie in one semi-final game by 2 points and then beat South Laurel in the finals by double figures. Pulaski South was the other final four team.
7th Grade Final Four last year:

Wayne Co. 65-63 over Virgie
Knox Co. 65 -56 over South Laurel

Championship:

Wayne Co. 65 -61 over Knox Co.
If you look at the date when this thread was started you will realize the first few posts were from 2008 when Darryl Hicks was an 8th grader. That year Madison Middle beat South Laurel in the KBA 8th grade state.
Going by the state championship games at KBA last year for the 7th grade teams I would say Wayne County would be #1 that is with Ockerman not even getting to play in the tournament because of travel reasons. If everyone is picking Scott Co. to be in the top 5 that would put Anderson County in there somewheres, they only beat us by 2 points. I would have to say Knox Co. , Virgie , Betsy Layne, Johnson Co. , and Lex Cath if they are in the tournament as well would be in the top ten.
KCMS 8th grade team won the King of the Mountains tournament this past weekend. Knox is big, fast and can score.
Hitters_Count Wrote:KCMS 8th grade team won the King of the Mountains tournament this past weekend. Knox is big, fast and can score.

Knox Co. is a very good team. They very well be the best team in the state this year. Scott Co. is not a top 5 team and Lex Cath beat Ockerman a week ago by a bunch with a running clock so I cant put them in the top 5 either. My top 5 would be.... and not in any specific order cause any of these teams could be the best on a given night.... Knox Co. Wayne Co. Lexington Catholic, Virgie, Johnson Co. I'm sure there are a few I haven't seen seen or heard about out there but from what I have evaluated, this is a pretty good list. Lex CAth plays Clay Co. Friday night so there might be a team that is knocked out because according to the Clay Co. coach Clay County is as good as anybody in the state.
Clay busted Wayne's bubble last night by about 30 points! They go to Catholic tonight, so Catholic's winning streak could be in jeopardy. If we are talking top 5 teams in the state and Clay is not in the discussion, something is wrong!
I just watched Chavies Elementary beat Clay County a week ago at Perry Central. Chavies flat out wore them out. I heard Clays best player wasnt there. Knox Middle only beat AB Combs by 4 in Double OT. So you gotta put AB Combs and Chavies in there somewhere in the equation.
Clay was missing 2 starters that day. One was the PG and the other was a forward. With those 2 out, Clay struggled. Chavies or however you spell it does have a nice team though. Would like to see both play with all players present and see what happens.
eku23 Wrote:Clay busted Wayne's bubble last night by about 30 points! They go to Catholic tonight, so Catholic's winning streak could be in jeopardy. If we are talking top 5 teams in the state and Clay is not in the discussion, something is wrong!

Sounds like Clay co. might be the real deal. If they beat Catholic tonite then they make my top 5. Heck if they stay within 8 pts in this game they make my top 5. I predict the score will be Lex Cath 55 Clay co. 36
warmachine Wrote:I just watched Chavies Elementary beat Clay County a week ago at Perry Central. Chavies flat out wore them out. I heard Clays best player wasnt there. Knox Middle only beat AB Combs by 4 in Double OT. So you gotta put AB Combs and Chavies in there somewhere in the equation.

I had the plesure of watching this game, and yes it was a for (4) point victory for Knox Middle School however it did not go to overtime. Both Knox and AB Combs looked impressive. The point guards for both teams effectively ran their respective teams well. The point guard for Knox is very intelligent and a good shooting basketball player. The passing skills of the point guard for AB Combs made Knox rethink there full court press, after he made a few long passes for easy baskets. Other players looked very skilled on both teams. I asked about the point guard for AB Combs and some people told me he was 6' 4'' tall and weighed 190 lbs. Very impressive handles and could rebound with the bigs. This game was surely the highlite of the tournament.
AB Combs is by far the best team in Perry County.
The 6'4 PG is Josh Gary, he was the QB on the football team.
Brandon Kilburn 6'1 guard is also very good.
warmachine Wrote:AB Combs is by far the best team in Perry County.
The 6'4 PG is Josh Gary, he was the QB on the football team.
Brandon Kilburn 6'1 guard is also very good.

I agree with you that AB Combs is a good team. After reviewing my notes (numbers of players only) which player is the 6' 1" guard from AB Combs that you mentioned? Like i said before both teams have some really skilled players. From talking to some of the people at that game it is my understanding that these two teams may meet again in the future? Is AB Combs a county middle school or and independant middle school? If my schedule brings me back into the state of Kentucky i would watch these teams again.
Brandon Kilburn
AB Combs is just one of the 9 - K-8 schools in Perry County. It is the largest school in the county though. About the only school in that county other than Chavies that gives a hoot about sports.
warmachine Wrote:Brandon Kilburn
AB Combs is just one of the 9 - K-8 schools in Perry County. It is the largest school in the county though. About the only school in that county other than Chavies that gives a hoot about sports.

It seems like alot of county schools. Do they feed different high schools or all the same? Living in a large city in VA it is refreshing to come to smaller towns and places. Is Chavies K-8 a pretty good sports school? What # is this kid?
HC BLACK BEARS Wrote:Knox and South Laurel both beat Rosspoint by a small margin -- 4 and 3 points. Rosspoint has a really good team that is loaded with talent.

Thats Funny because Knox Co.Beat roospoint at rosspoint by 24...
i think its time to say lex cath is the best 8th grade team in the state. they are 14-0 and walked to the corbin tourney beating sw pulaski by 35 clay co by 25(for the second time) and ab combs by 30 not playing any of the starters in the 4th qr. they have a 6-5 kid in the middle and 2 kids over 6-2 they are all athletic and they have some great shooters. they also defend very well and are very unselfish.not to mention thpg can play anywhere and the sg can get to the rim. i know everyone likes to hate them but lets face facts they are going to be tough
Hazard Isn't Really all that good this year, There down this year.
Navajo4life Wrote:Are there any 8th graders in the State of Kentucky playing Varsity high school basketball in the State of Kentucky? I know of one and he plays at Shelby County high school... Just anyone's thoughts about an 8th grader playing at that level

Owen County has a 7th grader that was just pulled up after his middle school season to play JV and Varsity
Wayne County handed Lex Cath their first loss in over two years last weekend at the KBA. I think Wayne is the best 8th grade team in the state with Lex Cath right behind. S Laurel, Knox Central, Clay, Southern Pulaski, Lincoln County, LCA, and Bowling Green are the best teams I have seen along with Wc and LC.
Mason County is a solid team, which a lot of people sleep on