Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry Pirates
74.50%
Russell Red Devils
25.50%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 20(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry (Class 3A 2nd Round)
Midee1 Wrote:Well I added 100 to Russell to raise some eyebrows. Looks like someone else added a bunch to Belfry and i don't know how many to remove to make it right.:o

Yes it went both ways. Crazy stuff. I just want to say something to both schools fans and teams. This thread has been a good one. Record-setting, I do believe. Most of the things said have been very civil and some good-natured jabbing. I really appreciate this rivalry. I have seen games in this series since the mid-70s. There is no one I want Belfry to beat more than the Devils, but there is no program I respect more than Russell. In 2006, I was listening to the radio to the state finals as if I were a Russell fan. I did not want Merger County to win. I think these two programs are about as close to each other as any two programs I know. The difference in success either way is minimal. So I hope all the Russell fans travel to the CAM and help make it a great scene. Come early and eat and enjoy the best rivalry around.
Having not seen Russell play this year, but hearing what others have said about them, I expect the Red Devils to try and catch the Pirate secondary some on 1st and 2nd down. They can't be asleep back there or overly anticipating the run.

McGlone is going to hunt-stunt the A-gap all night long, and will probably fire the C-gap to the strong side on every down, too. Andrew will have to be able to make checks at the line of scrimmage if Coach Haywood allows it to compensate for Russell's aggressiveness, as well as complete a handful of play-action passes.

Controlling the line of scrimmage for Belfry on the offensive side of the ball will require more communication up front from the Pirates this week, and its something that may take a quarter or two to figure out.

Defensively, the LBs must make plays and follow their keys. DTs have to hold their ground and the line of scrimmage must be pushed back into the Russell backfield for us to stop their run game.
Leonidas Wrote:Having not seen Russell play this year, but hearing what others have said about them, I expect the Red Devils to try and catch the Pirate secondary some on 1st and 2nd down. They can't be asleep back there or overly anticipating the run.

McGlone is going to hunt-stunt the A-gap all night long, and will probably fire the C-gap to the strong side on every down, too. Andrew will have to be able to make checks at the line of scrimmage if Coach Haywood allows it to compensate for Russell's aggressiveness, as well as complete a handful of play-action passes.

Controlling the line of scrimmage for Belfry on the offensive side of the ball will require more communication up front from the Pirates this week, and its something that may take a quarter or two to figure out.

Defensively, the LBs must make plays and follow their keys. DTs have to hold their ground and the line of scrimmage must be pushed back into the Russell backfield for us to stop their run game.

Good stuff man. I think you are dead on with your analysis.
Leonidas Wrote:Having not seen Russell play this year, but hearing what others have said about them, I expect the Red Devils to try and catch the Pirate secondary some on 1st and 2nd down. They can't be asleep back there or overly anticipating the run.

The only thing I would add is that Belfry's DE's have got to be able to shed blocks and not get caught up chicken fighting. The inside running game isn't what worries me in the Wing T, what worries me is when Russell runs the sweep or playfakes with the QB and he bootlegs. The DE's have got to close off the corners and the LB's have to be able to read and pursue to the play. Hall and Lee have enough speed and athleticism that if they can get off their blocks they should have no trouble stringing out the play long enough for pursuit to close.

If you look at the last three games with Russell the majority of their yards have came from runs designed to go off the corner, the bootleg, and the pass. If Belfry can take away the outside running game I have no problem taking my chances with Russell's inside game and passing.
I shouldn't have left out the DEs and thought about it after my post, but one reason I did is because I think our DEs won't have much trouble taking on one blocker. I like our chances with either D-end, especially Ivan.

But if the DTs don't stay home to be accounted for by those pulling guards, the DEs could easily be taken completely out of the play.
bucslover68 Wrote:I think Joe wants the fans to be proactive and not just reactive. It shouldn't take a great play for the fans to cheer. From the time the skill players walk out to warm up, until the game begins, and all through the game, the crowd needs to be a factor.

I agree 100%. People do not realize how much it helps players to hear their fans cheering them on. Fans can be a huge factor in the game. In my opinion it fires these guys up and gives them a little extra adrenaline. I have felt the chill bumps myself personaly.
This game will probably be the best game of both teams season but I think that the outcome will be 21-7 Russell. They may have "athletes" but they won't go anywhere.
bucslover68 Wrote:I like your spirit, but I like good analysis better. Give some keys why Russell will win.

Well belfry has not had a tough schedule at all. The only team they have played is johnson central. We watched film on belfry and pike county central and pike county central moved the ball on there first 3 drives and had a chance to score on all of them. I don't think belfrys defense is as good as everybody thinks. Russells wint t offense will be to much for belfry to handle. Also west moved the ball on belfry as well. You belfry fans might say that belfry just was asleep during the first half but you have to be in a coma to let west carter drive the ball down the field. If i'm not mistaking I think west was winning 14 to 13 during the second quarter and was only losing 21 to 14 at the half. Russell is not west carter and belry better be ready for the fight of there life.:flame:
Mueller 86 Wrote:Well belfry has not had a tough schedule at all. The only team they have played is johnson central. We watched film on belfry and pike county central and pike county central moved the ball on there first 3 drives and had a chance to score on all of them. I don't think belfrys defense is as good as everybody thinks. Russells wint t offense will be to much for belfry to handle. Also west moved the ball on belfry as well. You belfry fans might say that belfry just was asleep during the first half but you have to be in a coma to let west carter drive the ball down the field. If i'm not mistaking I think west was winning 14 to 13 during the second quarter and was only losing 21 to 14 at the half. Russell is not west carter and belry better be ready for the fight of there life.:flame:

If Russell's film is from the Pike Central game and Russell's players are buying into that game and the West Carter game then I like Belfry's chances even more.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If Russell's film is from the Pike Central game and Russell's players are buying into that game and the West Carter game then I like Belfry's chances even more.

We are not buying into the game im just saying that if belfry comes out asleep against russell they are going to be in trouble. Russell will take advantage of belfrys mistakes. :devilflam I will say that belfry played a great game against johnson central but this is russell and they are different than johnson central. Russell is playing alot better than they were at the beginning of the season. The playoffs are a new season and right now belfry and russell have the same record 1-0
Some of you make me sick to my stomach they way you cuddle up to each other.

Russell is the Superior team.

McGlone is the Superior coach.

Russell stomps a mud hole in the Pirates Backsides and walks it dry!
Mueller 86 Wrote:We are not buying into the game im just saying that if belfry comes out asleep against russell they are going to be in trouble. Russell will take advantage of belfrys mistakes. :devilflam I will say that belfry played a great game against johnson central but this is russell and they are different than johnson central. Russell is playing alot better than they were at the beginning of the season. The playoffs are a new season and right now belfry and russell have the same record 1-0

I'll agree with this, but if Russell is going to win this then they will have to play a much better game than anytime this season, including the Raceland game. Contrary to popular belief of some Russell fans Belfry is a better team than Raceland.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I'll agree with this, but if Russell is going to win this then they will have to play a much better game than anytime this season, including the Raceland game. Contrary to popular belief of some Russell fans Belfry is a better team than Raceland.

yea i agree that belfry is better than raceland. The raceland game is what woke the russell players up and that is the game that really turned there season around. Both teams will be ready and it's going to be a great game.
DevilsWin Wrote:Some of you make me sick to my stomach they way you cuddle up to each other.

Russell is the Superior team.

McGlone is the Superior coach.

Russell stomps a mud hole in the Pirates Backsides and walks it dry!

Step away from the Kool-Aid............
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I'll agree with this, but if Russell is going to win this then they will have to play a much better game than anytime this season, including the Raceland game. Contrary to popular belief of some Russell fans Belfry is a better team than Raceland.

Again going back to the Raceland game is hard to judge an opponent who is in the mind set of playing for the state title.
charliez Wrote:Again going back to the Raceland game is hard to judge an opponent who is in the mind set of playing for the state title.

Huh? I think Belfry may ahve this mindset right now, as does any team left in the playoffs.
Ive seen both teams plays (Raceland and Belfry) and all the Belfry fans seem to talk about Belfry playing their best game against JC. Raceland is much much more talented than Belfry. Belfry just has the size. JC fans and players should be mad with Matney, that is one of the most poorly coached games Ive ever seen. First of all they ran the same play over and over right into the hart of Belfry's D. Then when they tried to pass they would only send Welch out by himself against 3 DB's. All of Russell's recievers are better than Welch I thought, he did not seem that impressive to me. Of course it was raining. There were so many holes in the Belfry pass coverage I can't belive JC didn't exploit them. I think Russell will exploit them with their pass game. They really worked on it alot at the end of the season, throwing 40 times in their last 2 regular season games. Throwing well, and without their most consistent reciever I might add. I hope Belfry loads the box and brings the house, they don't have the line speed that Ashland had, which is why Ashland hurt us, they had sooo much speed on their dline. Russell will still get their big gains on the ground, Abrams is a good back. But if Russell can throw about 20-30% of their plays, they should be ok. IF AJ has a good night.
Raceland is a really good Class A football team, but they are nowhere near the team Belfry is.

I'm really looking forward to this Friday night.
Beetle01 Wrote:Ive seen both teams plays (Raceland and Belfry) and all the Belfry fans seem to talk about Belfry playing their best game against JC. Raceland is much much more talented than Belfry. Belfry just has the size. JC fans and players should be mad with Matney, that is one of the most poorly coached games Ive ever seen. First of all they ran the same play over and over right into the hart of Belfry's D. Then when they tried to pass they would only send Welch out by himself against 3 DB's. All of Russell's recievers are better than Welch I thought, he did not seem that impressive to me. Of course it was raining. There were so many holes in the Belfry pass coverage I can't belive JC didn't exploit them. I think Russell will exploit them with their pass game. They really worked on it alot at the end of the season, throwing 40 times in their last 2 regular season games. Throwing well, and without their most consistent reciever I might add. I hope Belfry loads the box and brings the house, they don't have the line speed that Ashland had, which is why Ashland hurt us, they had sooo much speed on their dline. Russell will still get their big gains on the ground, Abrams is a good back. But if Russell can throw about 20-30% of their plays, they should be ok. IF AJ has a good night.

Maybe Russell's run defense and inability to tackle made Raceland look more talnted than they really are.

I would say without hesitation that Raceland does not have anyone on the same overall level as Lee, Varney, and Elkins collaboratively.
yes now (going back) to that game & at that time in the season. And yes that's why its so hard to predict. Everyone has that in there eye this time of year. Russell will prevail Friday night!
252 people have voted that Belfry will win.

35 people have voted that Russell will win.

But yet the odds are still against them.:confused: :confused:

The Pirates will prevail over the Red Devils tomorrow night in a triumphant victory. Key offensive plays for the Pirates will extended that comfort zone thoroughly. The Big Red Defensive will be there to. The Belfry Secondary must show up tomorrow night. With a weak secondary the Pirates will play a faulty game. I still[I][/I] predict my Pirates to win! Good luck tomorrow night Pirates!

-There is no time for fear...-TongueirateSho

Belfry 35
Russell 14
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Maybe Russell's run defense and inability to tackle made Raceland look more talnted than they really are.

I would say without hesitation that Raceland does not have anyone on the same overall level as Lee, Varney, and Elkins collaboratively.

I can't speak for the QB spot but I would think that Denton and Carver is about as good a 2 headed monster as there is in this area.
Mueller 86 Wrote:We are not buying into the game im just saying that if belfry comes out asleep against russell they are going to be in trouble. Russell will take advantage of belfrys mistakes. :devilflam I will say that belfry played a great game against johnson central but this is russell and they are different than johnson central. Russell is playing alot better than they were at the beginning of the season. The playoffs are a new season and right now belfry and russell have the same record 1-0
I would agree that Russell is different than Johnson Central. JC would beat them just like they did Ashland. Russell comes off of 3 loses and beats a weak Pike Central team and somehow that has turned their entire season around? If they were better than they were at the beginning of the season, you would think there would be a few more "W".Wink
Mueller 86 Wrote:yea i agree that belfry is better than raceland. The raceland game is what woke the russell players up and that is the game that really turned there season around. Both teams will be ready and it's going to be a great game.
I would also agree that it will be a great game. Probably a toss up of who wins. But when you all try to use your schedule to take up for why Russell wins, really doesn't help your case.:confused:
Midee1 Wrote:I can't speak for the QB spot but I would think that Denton and Carver is about as good a 2 headed monster as there is in this area.

Not just for what they do on offense...Lee is an All-State calibur DE, Varney is one of the most versatile players East of I-75, and Elkins is as good of a DB as you will find in EKY not named Ian Wlech.
I am starting to feel even better than I was about this game. I read these posts about Belfry's talent level and I start to wonder if these people have ever watched Belfry play. I respect the thoughts of these people because I really pay attention to the posts and it is not hard to tell who knows quite a bit about high school football and who does not. First of all who really cares about Raceland and Ashland and any other school not in 3A. Belfry and Russell are competing for the 3A championship, not 1A or 5A. I hate to even comment on what I think of the Belfry players because we shouldn't have to justify their talent. Central had 3-4 Division 1 caliber players against our 0 D1 players and we hung right with them with a chance to win. JC, with their huge line and "nation leading" rushing attack is now 0-2 the last two years against the Pirates and 0-25 all-time. I will take Lee, Varney, Dotson, and Elkins and take my chances. BTW, at no time in Ky. high school football history has Raceland been much, much better than Belfry.
bucslover68 Wrote:BTW, at no time in Ky. high school football history has Raceland been much, much better than Belfry.

At no time has Raceland ever been close to the caliber of Belfry. As a matter of fact this year is the only year I can think of that they are making some serious noise. My only comment about Raceland was the duo of Denton and Carver were very impressive.
Midee1 Wrote:At no time has Raceland ever been close to the caliber of Belfry. As a matter of fact this year is the only year I can think of that they are making some serious noise. My only comment about Raceland was the duo of Denton and Carver were very impressive.

Hey Midee, my reply was to what Beetle posted about Raceland being much, much more talented than Belfry. I believe that is what he said. I have no doubt that Denton and Carver are a dandy pair.
I have not seen Belfry play this season, but I think the fact that they defeated Johnson Central tells me that they are most likely the best team Russell has faced this season.

Russell has played a much more difficult schedule. Belfry has played one good team this year: Johnson Central. Russell has played four good teams: Ashland, Simon Kenton, Mason County, and Raceland. Of course, Belfry beat the good team they played. Russell lost to all four.

I can say for a fact, though, that the Russell team Belfry will face Friday night is a better Russell team than the one that teams faced earlier this season. They have made some significant personnel changes with the insertion of Steven Stapleton and Storm Burgess into the starting lineup. They also seemed to have learned how to play with some pride and passion in the Raceland game.

I really think they will play their best game of the season Friday at Belfry. Will it be enough? I don't know, but I think I do know that it's not going to be as easy as some Belfry fans might think. This is as difficult of a second round playoff matchup as an undefeated team like Belfry could ask for. They are going to have earn this one.
ryanparker Wrote:I have not seen Belfry play this season, but I think the fact that they defeated Johnson Central tells me that they are most likely the best team Russell has faced this season.

Russell has played a much more difficult schedule. Belfry has played one good team this year: Johnson Central. Russell has played four good teams: Ashland, Simon Kenton, Mason County, and Raceland. Of course, Belfry beat the good team they played. Russell lost to all four.

I can say for a fact, though, that the Russell team Belfry will face Friday night is a better Russell team than the one that teams faced earlier this season. They have made some significant personnel changes with the insertion of Steven Stapleton and Storm Burgess into the starting lineup. They also seemed to have learned how to play with some pride and passion in the Raceland game.

I really think they will play their best game of the season Friday at Belfry. Will it be enough? I don't know, but I think I do know that it's not going to be as easy as some Belfry fans might think. This is as difficult of a second round playoff matchup as an undefeated team like Belfry could ask for. They are going to have earn this one.
Exactly!:Thumbs: :devilflam :devilflam :devilflam :devilflam
joethegreek Wrote:Dirt pie dirt pie dirt pie. Mary West is the Community Trust Bank MVP lol

Why thank you joethegreek, you are not the only one who appreciates my dirt pie.. It'll be there along with my potato soup.
  •  Previous
  • 20(current)
  • Next