•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 2009-2010
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:You are totally wrong if you say I go overboard when talking about SV (if anything I make comments which lean the other way in giving other teams and players credit to make up for some overzealous posts by a couple of SV supporters) . I made a comment toward someone who acted as if 1 transfer made SV's season, when in reality, it did nothing of the such. You should be able to see that as an unbiased poster. I have seen almost every SV game for the past 10-12 years, and I think I may know a little more about their players than someone who has seen the team play very little (just like you would know much more about Holmes). Never once have I acted like any of SVs players were perfect. You talk up the "big 3" a lot more than you realize. Sure those guys are great ballplayers, but do you realize that many people on here get tired of hearing about them as well? It would be hard for me to make comments about Holmes individual players when I have seen them and their team very little so I stay away from that. You don't see me going to every Holmes thread and making comments like I know all about them. It would be my right, like it is yours to comment here, but I don't do it unless it is in a positive manner.

Nowhere in my post did I see any middle school type responses.

I wasn't referring to you Dorton...I generally always agree with your posts.
EOE Wrote:You do not know what you are talking about.

Adams made a bigger difference than you're giving him credit for.
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:I don't think you could look at basketball more biased than you or zulu.

Sure when it comes to Holmes I'm very biased, as that's one of the better teams in the area that I live in so I've seen them and covered them a lot more than other teams.'

I also talk other players and teams up from around the state as well though.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Sure when it comes to Holmes I'm very biased, as that's one of the better teams in the area that I live in so I've seen them and covered them a lot more than other teams.'

I also talk other players and teams up from around the state as well though.

I still don't understand why if you are from northern Ky and love Holmes so much why you are on Shelby Valley threads all the time. People are starting to think you are just trying to disguise yourself and are really just a jealous rival. If you are really from Holmes, then you don't have to worry about any team east of Lexington.
EOE Wrote:Couldnt have said it any better myself. DortonWildcat5, you have a way with words.:notworthy

Thank you.

I hope no one takes what I said about Deven the wrong way. I am glad that Deven was a Wildcat this past season, and I truly believe that he was an important part, but I do believe that Curby gave them just as big a chance of being successful. Having 10 fouls instead of 5 probably made a difference in some of the games. I particularly remember the All A game vs Elliott--Deven had a great game. I just don't think it is right to take away from SV's accomplishments by insinuating that 1 transfer made that big a difference. There is an untrue perception on here that SV's success in the past few years has been based on transfers, when they have only had 2--Kris Bentley a few years back, and Deven this past year. Several other schools around the region have had many more transfers than Valley. Virgie and Dorton's middle school teams have been strong for most of the past 10+ years and these players at SV right now are a big result of that. Many of the players at SV right now have beat or competed closely with the best around the state in middle school so it shouldn't be a shock that that translates to high school success as well.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I wasn't referring to you Dorton...I generally always agree with your posts.

No problem. I just think SV gets some undue criticism on here and someone has to stick up for them. Every team has some posters who post some unreasonable stuff, but the ones from SV seem to get more attention--especially in the basketball forum.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:No problem. I just think SV gets some undue criticism on here and someone has to stick up for them. Every team has some posters who post some unreasonable stuff, but the ones from SV seem to get more attention--especially in the basketball forum.

I actually have nothing against Valley and was one of the people rooting for them at Rupp to make it to Saturday. I think some of the posters on here though are what brings the criticism to them with what you stated in the bolded. From what I understand, the majority of the posters on this site are from EKY which explains why teams like Valley get hyped up and criticized so much...because they're the top team in that area.

If a few of the posters on here would learn to be a little more humble about their team, there would be a lot less criticism. Honestly, a lot of these young men, Justice especially, get a lot of unfair criticism because of adults and young kids getting on here and hyping kids up to the point where people get tired of reading about it.

Cox also comes to mind.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I actually have nothing against Valley and was one of the people rooting for them at Rupp to make it to Saturday. I think some of the posters on here though are what brings the criticism to them with what you stated in the bolded. From what I understand, the majority of the posters on this site are from EKY which explains why teams like Valley get hyped up and criticized so much...because they're the top team in that area.

If a few of the posters on here would learn to be a little more humble about their team, there would be a lot less criticism. Honestly, a lot of these young men, Justice especially, get a lot of unfair criticism because of adults and young kids getting on here and hyping kids up to the point where people get tired of reading about it.

Cox also comes to mind.

hummmm..... Now I think you know how everyone else feels about Holmes, Pittman, Riley, Johnson bros. etc. It's not that they don't like them it is what SOME people say over and over, especially when the thread is not about them or Holmes.
goodguy Wrote:hummmm..... Now I think you know how everyone else feels about Holmes, Pittman, Riley, Johnson bros. etc. It's not that they don't like them it is what SOME people say over and over, especially when the thread is not about them or Holmes.

Fair enough...but like Dorton said, every team has a few posters who do that.

And it's not like Valley fans don't hi-jack threads that have nothing to do with them as well. The biggest lineup next year thread comes to mind.
letthebighogroot Wrote:When and if SV goes one such a run, (lead by "homegrown's instead of banking on TRANSFERS, yeah maybe maybe Valley will get some hype! Here's the deal, they done it better than valley............with half the enrollment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without transfers..................Hence the attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of great run did Elliott go on? The one that ended in a state title? Oh that's right, they didn't win anything. No state title, no All-A title, nothing.

Perhaps you guys can put that ESPN article in the trophy case. Valley will just have to be content with their nice big All-A trophy.

And as for the remark about Valley being reliant on transfers, if you really believe that, then you know far less about their team this past year than I gave you credit for.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kywldcat01 Wrote:No way Valley would have had the same success this past year without Adams. You don't get rid of a 6'10 guy and expect to have the same success. He was the big difference in a lot of games for Valley this past year as a lot of teams didn't have the size to match up with both Hatfield and Adams.

This is the kind of response one would get from someone out of the area who has read a lot of newspaper articles on Shelby Valley, maybe even watched a game or two, but really has no clue about how their team worked this past year.

As anyone who truly watched SV this past year can attest, Valley was in NO WAY reliant on Adams. He was a nice player, to be sure, but was hardly the main reason for their success. As DortonWildcat so duly noted, Curby Tackett was right there coming off the bench and doing many of the same things as Adams.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I hope no one takes what I said about Deven the wrong way. I am glad that Deven was a Wildcat this past season, and I truly believe that he was an important part, but I do believe that Curby gave them just as big a chance of being successful. Having 10 fouls instead of 5 probably made a difference in some of the games. I particularly remember the All A game vs Elliott--Deven had a great game. I just don't think it is right to take away from SV's accomplishments by insinuating that 1 transfer made that big a difference. There is an untrue perception on here that SV's success in the past few years has been based on transfers, when they have only had 2--Kris Bentley a few years back, and Deven this past year. Several other schools around the region have had many more transfers than Valley. Virgie and Dorton's middle school teams have been strong for most of the past 10+ years and these players at SV right now are a big result of that. Many of the players at SV right now have beat or competed closely with the best around the state in middle school so it shouldn't be a shock that that translates to high school success as well.

Great post. You completely summed up my feelings on the subject, and put to rest any notion that Valley's recent success has been built on transfers.

DW5, thank you so much for being on this site. I enjoy reading your posts regarding Shelby Valley, and your insight is always appreciated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Great post. You completely summed up my feelings on the subject, and put to rest any notion that Valley's recent success has been built on transfers.

DW5, thank you so much for being on this site. I enjoy reading your posts regarding Shelby Valley, and your insight is always appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words and the same to you. Just last night, my brother and I were talking about this site and we mentioned you as one of the posters who make really sensible posts on here and seem to share the same views as us--especially regarding SV basketball.
i agree with dortonwildcat#5.....tyler is not very tall but he is still a very good rebounder......there will b no stopin valley on there road 2 rupp even if they domnt have a big man........it makes no difference cause every body on there team can jump like super high!!!!!!!!!!!
Shelby Valley was a good team last year not because of Adams transferring in from Pikeville. Anyone that watched SV play this year with any basketball sense should realize that Curby gave the team just as much as Adams did if not more. Curby played with much more energy while Adams played somewhat soft in the paint. Sure it is great to have 10 fouls to give at the center position and if one fouls out, you have a backup just as good as the starter. SV success did not rely on transfers this past year.
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)