Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Consistent Umpire in the Mountains
Not sure about the umps name, I've only seen him call a few times. But he acutally told the catcher that he could not see around him to make the calls behind the plate. Then went on to apologize to the pitcher- saying he just couldn't call a left handed pitcher. Not a smart move in my opinion.
That had to be Don Hall that said something like that. He is hilarious to watch out their.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Did you attend the game at Hazard last night? Wymt was their and the big call at home on the swipe tag was put on the news, Cook calls a boy out and the tag wasn't even close, should of been safe. Took Perry out of a POSSIBLE BIG inning. Hazard wins 8-6, guess he was in a hurry to get home. Not the only one he missed in the last two days either. PITIFUL. :devilflam

Yup, WYMT was there and they were in perfect position for that play at the plate, and their footage clearly shows that Cook's call was spot on. The tag was applied halfway between his knee and his ankle as Napier jumped to avoid the tag. Cook got the call right, and the video (which I watched probably 10 times to study the play) shows that it was the right call.
NikonD300 Wrote:Yup, WYMT was there and they were in perfect position for that play at the plate, and their footage clearly shows that Cook's call was spot on. The tag was applied halfway between his knee and his ankle as Napier jumped to avoid the tag. Cook got the call right, and the video (which I watched probably 10 times to study the play) shows that it was the right call.

You and only you may think that it was right, the tag was no where near Napier, that is funny you would say that, back up your buddy Cook! Why do you even think it was put on the news, to show that it was the wrong call of course. Doesn't matter though, both go to region and could probably meet up again. Good luck to all in region.
I do think that it is a hard job. Don't think that I could ever be a umpire.
I've tried to tell you all along MOUNTAIN HOOPS GURU that Cook "the Crook" can't call. He stinks at basketball, baseball, and everything else he tries to ref.That is my opinion and it is being shared by more and more people each time he steps on a court, field, or whatever. He needs to call games like RooK or Bridge( naw- he'd mess that up too)
mountain hoops guru Wrote:You and only you may think that it was right, the tag was no where near Napier, that is funny you would say that, back up your buddy Cook! Why do you even think it was put on the news, to show that it was the wrong call of course. Doesn't matter though, both go to region and could probably meet up again. Good luck to all in region.

I can honestly say that I've never met Brian Cook, let alone being buddies with him. However, his call was right. Go back and look at the video and play it a few times stopping it in different spots. You'll see that there is a blunt force impact with the catcher's mit when Napier attempts to leap and that clearly shows that the tag was applied. If you try that and still say that he was safe you're just in denial.

And if WYMT's purpose for running that clip was to show that Napier was safe, they failed and defeated themselves on that one. Speaking of defeating themselves, is it Cook's fault that PCC blew the lead? There is no reason that that one play, ending on a good call or a bad call, should have doomed Perry Central.
officiating is hard. I don't feel that any of the umps, refs or any other type of officials go out to ruin a game for either team. Most umpires that I have met takes great pride in what they do.
firechief Wrote:Don Carol in the 14th, he calls games under two hours, you better be swinging..... ! Hey, at least their not boring.......

Nice of you to toot your own horn, since firechief is Don Carroll.
14th region: Steve Thomas from Breathitt County does a great job!!! Very consistent behind the plate and gives the corners. Don Hall did a very good job behind the plate this year as well. :thanks:
Did he umpire in the regionals?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Perhaps someone should post the dates for the meetings held in Pikeville for the umpires of the "Big Sandy"... if you love the game, getting involved and uplifting the quality of umpires would be a great way to insure accurate game outcomes. I agree with one poster... I don't believe any one person, who is officiating a game, goes onto the field or court with the intentions to "screwitup"...
Some folks may be new @ things and are placed into a high school setting too soon... some may be past their prime and unable to keep up.... I understand that these games are all important to the kids involved and hopefully as they grow and mature, they will consider giving back to a game that meant so much to them... I always love to see new people getting involved. Oh and one more thought, umpires should begin with the youth leagues, join an area association, learn every detail of the game they can, call plenty of games beginning with the little kids working up in speed and ability. ( and invest in the obligatory "pair of glasses" that fans will invariably call upon them to "put on"...LOL )
:Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs:
Brian Milam Wrote:14th region: Steve Thomas from Breathitt County does a great job!!! Very consistent behind the plate and gives the corners. Don Hall did a very good job behind the plate this year as well. :thanks: