Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Predictions
goodguy Wrote:Probably so, but...do all five of the players play on one team? Is there a team in the 15th that matches up with all of SV players?

Lawrence county!!! Confusedhh:
I love all of the "shut down" comments in this thread. Some very bold predictions here. :zzz: Somebody look up SV's win record against 15th region in the 2000's. I would say this season goes about the same.
MonsterMan Wrote:SV will be a good team, but with every player you mentioned and their strenght, there is player in the 57th that could line up and have skill eqaul to shut them down on any given night, it just takes one night for the whole year to come to an end. I know this is not poular, but folks norht of prestonsburg feel this way.

That sounds good and all, and if they allowed the 57th district to send their all-star team to play Shelby Valley, then maybe you have something. But unfortunately it doesn't work like that. And there is no single team in the 57th that can matchup 5-on-5 with SV this year.

Barring a major injury, it would take an extremely poor performance by SV coupled with the game of the year for another region team to defeat the Wildcats this season. This may not be popular with the folks north of Prestonsburg, but it's just the way it is.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
goodguy Wrote:Is there a team in the 15th that matches up with all of SV players?

KINGJAMES#1 Wrote:Lawrence county!!! Confusedhh:

Uhh....no. :dontthink

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Uhh....no. :dontthink

Explain to me where SV outmatches them?? And before yyou say Justice, I'd like to introduce you to a new player that moved to Lawrence County. Name is Larry West. You will hear his name alot I'm sure. Confusedhh:
KINGJAMES#1 Wrote:Explain to me where SV outmatches them?? And before yyou say Justice, I'd like to introduce you to a new player that moved to Lawrence County. Name is Larry West. You will hear his name alot I'm sure. Confusedhh:

Justice outmatches 99% of the PG's in the state. He's not going to Louisville because he's a pushover.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Justice outmatches 99% of the PG's in the state. He's not going to Louisville because he's a pushover.

WELL West is a out of state player that just transferred. BTW I never said he was a pushover. With that being said, I will go on and say he is one heck of a player. Just not major D1 material.
KINGJAMES#1 Wrote:WELL West is a out of state player that just transferred. BTW I never said he was a pushover. With that being said, I will go on and say he is one heck of a player. Just not major D1 material.

What grade is West in and where did he transfer from.

If he's as good as you say he is, I'm sure Jody Demling, Rick Bolus and Mike Fields know him. So why haven't we heard anything about him.

When Chane Behanan transfered to Bowling Green High School from Aiken HS in Cincinnati, they were all over that. I have not heard anything about West. If he is as good as Justice, maybe Louisville will get two from the mountains.
Larry West the football player?
5timechamp Wrote:Larry West the football player?

Yeah the same Larry west that plays football. Basketball is his best sport though and if this tells you anything, he has received serveral scholarship offers for football. (His second best sport)
It will come down to SV and LC IMO..
goodguy Wrote:Probably so, but...do all five of the players play on one team? Is there a team in the 15th that matches up with all of SV players?

JC and LC can line up 5 on 5 with SV. Guys you have had a great run and I admire your support, but other than Justice the rest of these guys are just regular players and there are atheletes at both JC and LC that can give Justce fits. You are good but a long way from being ustoppable. Better play perficet ball every nihgt or you will go down.
Shelby Valley will win it
this is basically a no-brainer
im gonna say lawrence county takes it this year.
valley is going to underestimate them and think they
have the region in the bag but lawrence county is
gonna suprise em.

lc only lost one player last year due to graduation, valley
lost 3 key players. what if elisha or ashley or someone gets in
foul trouble or gets hurt? who is going to step up and fill that
position? especially with the talent of ashley and elisha and taylor
and tyler, i dont think anyone valley has coming off the bench can
fill anyone of these players spot.
mister... basketball Wrote:im gonna say lawrence county takes it this year.
valley is going to underestimate them and think they
have the region in the bag but lawrence county is
gonna suprise em.

lc only lost one player last year due to graduation, valley
lost 3 key players. what if elisha or ashley or someone gets in
foul trouble or gets hurt? who is going to step up and fill that
position? especially with the talent of ashley and elisha and taylor
and tyler, i dont think anyone valley has coming off the bench can
fill anyone of these players spot.

Who are SV's bench players?
5timechamp Wrote:Who are SV's bench players?
Zach Ramey, Trey Roberts, and Rusty Roberts
KINGJAMES#1 Wrote:Explain to me where SV outmatches them?? And before yyou say Justice, I'd like to introduce you to a new player that moved to Lawrence County. Name is Larry West. You will hear his name alot I'm sure. Confusedhh:

Larry West may end up being a very nice player, but to say that he will be on Justice's level is a big stretch. There isn't anyone in the region as talented as Elisha, and the PG position will be a mismatch for any 15th team, including Lawrence County.

Honestly, when the two teams meet SV will have the two best players on the court in Justice and Ashley Hatfield, probably the three best when you count Taylor Newsome. That makes it a tough matchup for LC.

Look at it this way. SV and LC met twice last year, with Valley winning by 21 at Lawrence, and by 24 in the Expo. What makes you think that the offseason has erased a 20+ point difference between the two schools?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MonsterMan Wrote:JC and LC can line up 5 on 5 with SV. Guys you have had a great run and I admire your support, but other than Justice the rest of these guys are just regular players and there are atheletes at both JC and LC that can give Justce fits. You are good but a long way from being ustoppable. Better play perficet ball every nihgt or you will go down.

Those same athletes at JC and LC didn't give Justice fits last year, so why should this year be any different? There is NO ONE in the region that can match up with Elisha.

I'm glad you say SV has had a great run, but I'm afraid that run is not over yet. Valley should have one more regional title left in them before this amazing run is over. But don't worry, come the 2010-11 season, the rest of the 15th region can duke it out for supremacy... :biggrin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KINGJAMES#1 Wrote:Lawrence county!!! Confusedhh:

Yes there is a TEAM that can match up with SV.....That is your 58th distict champs 09-10 Betsy Layne Bobcats.....Now Elisha is at another level but you throw 8 players that are gelling together tourn. time.....WELL FORGETABOUTIT...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC/]
Now I'm not saying that LC will beat SV and win region, but I am sure that LC will be more prepared this year than last.... this is due to the fact that Lawrence is 9 deep, SV has an unmatched starting 5, but after that the talent level takes a severe plunge...
More Cowbell Wrote:Larry West may end up being a very nice player, but to say that he will be on Justice's level is a big stretch. There isn't anyone in the region as talented as Elisha, and the PG position will be a mismatch for any 15th team, including Lawrence County.

Honestly, when the two teams meet SV will have the two best players on the court in Justice and Ashley Hatfield, probably the three best when you count Taylor Newsome. That makes it a tough matchup for LC.

Look at it this way. SV and LC met twice last year, with Valley winning by 21 at Lawrence, and by 24 in the Expo. What makes you think that the offseason has erased a 20+ point difference between the two schools?

SV lost 2 starters and the 6th man.
6'10 Deven Adams, 6'7 Curby Tackett and Logan Bryant.

LC lost one.
Chandler Thompson.

LC is deeper than SV.

That's how the point difference has been narrowed or erased.
Recznik Wrote:Yes there is a TEAM that can match up with SV.....That is your 58th distict champs 09-10 Betsy Layne Bobcats.....Now Elisha is at another level but you throw 8 players that are gelling together tourn. time.....WELL FORGETABOUTIT...

They better try and matchup with the teams in the district first.

And you already have crowned them district champs. WOW!
dont know why anybody would not pick valley!! the only way they lose is if they shoot 10% from the field and if they fight among thereselfs. which i have seen them play alot and have never seen anybody on the team be unselfish with the ball.
uhavenoidea Wrote:SV lost 2 starters and the 6th man.
6'10 Deven Adams, 6'7 Curby Tackett and Logan Bryant.

LC lost one.
Chandler Thompson.

LC is deeper than SV.

That's how the point difference has been narrowed or erased.

Those three young men you mentioned were all nice players, and each served his role on the team well. But I think you overestimate their importance to last year's team. The core of the 08/09 SV team was the trio of Justice, Hatfield, and Taylor Newsome, all of whom return.

The loss of Adams and Tackett certainly means that SV will not have the inside presence they had last year. But since most other teams around here also do not have a lot of size, I don't think it will affect SV locally. Where the loss of those two will hurt them is in playing the bigger teams downstate.

The loss of Bryant is a bit tougher to deal with, since he was a great defender and provided a lot of heart and leadership. But SV will move on.

Bottom line, Lawrence may have closed a gap a little, maybe by about 6-8 points, but not enough to say an entire 20+ point difference has been erased.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Those three young men you mentioned were all nice players, and each served his role on the team well. But I think you overestimate their importance to last year's team. The core of the 08/09 SV team was the trio of Justice, Hatfield, and Taylor Newsome, all of whom return.

The loss of Adams and Tackett certainly means that SV will not have the inside presence they had last year. But since most other teams around here also do not have a lot of size, I don't think it will affect SV locally. Where the loss of those two will hurt them is in playing the bigger teams downstate.

The loss of Bryant is a bit tougher to deal with, since he was a great defender and provided a lot of heart and leadership. But SV will move on.

Bottom line, Lawrence may have closed a gap a little, maybe by about 6-8 points, but not enough to say an entire 20+ point difference has been erased.

In regards to Adams and Tackett, with the loss of those 2, you now don't have two defenders 6'7 or taller, to alter the shots of Frasher,Adkins, Skaggs, West, etc.

I believe Varney can make up for most of Bryant's play, same player but Varney is a few inches taller. But, ONLY if Varney can keep his cool and stay out of foul trouble.

SV's inside scoring will come from Taylor Newsome and Ashley Hatfield most likely. If, Lawrence County takes it to the hoop, constantly and consistently, and gets either of the two in foul trouble. Who is gonna be there replacement, Zach Ramey(Guard)?

With the lack of depth, unlike last season, an injury, or the foul trouble of a player or two, could be a very BIG deal for the Wildcats this season.

The point differental has been narrowed, that's why I said narrowed or erased, just covering both bases. But, with foul trouble and lack of depth, like I suspect, that margin becomes even more narrow.
More Cowbell Wrote:The loss of Adams and Tackett certainly means that SV will not have the inside presence they had last year. But since most other teams around here also do not have a lot of size, I don't think it will affect SV locally.
Maybe you should take into consideration the BEASTS OF THE EAST Michael Adkins and Lucas Frasher
:Cheerlead
uhavenoidea Wrote:In regards to Adams and Tackett, with the loss of those 2, you now don't have two defenders 6'7 or taller, to alter the shots of Frasher,Adkins, Skaggs, West, etc.

I believe Varney can make up for most of Bryant's play, same player but Varney is a few inches taller. But, ONLY if Varney can keep his cool and stay out of foul trouble.

SV's inside scoring will come from Taylor Newsome and Ashley Hatfield most likely. If, Lawrence County takes it to the hoop, constantly and consistently, and gets either of the two in foul trouble. Who is gonna be there replacement, Zach Ramey(Guard)?

With the lack of depth, unlike last season, an injury, or the foul trouble of a player or two, could be a very BIG deal for the Wildcats this season.

The point differental has been narrowed, that's why I said narrowed or erased, just covering both bases. But, with foul trouble and lack of depth, like I suspect, that margin becomes even more narrow.

I don't see how you can base your theory on "what if Hatfield and Taylor Newsome get into foul trouble"? :eyeroll:

What if two of LC's players get into foul trouble???

You have to look at the first 5-6 players and base your projections on them. I understand depth is an issue but not enough to justify LC beating SV.
all day jay Wrote:Maybe you should take into consideration the BEASTS OF THE EAST Michael Adkins and Lucas Frasher
:Cheerlead

...who?
uhavenoidea Wrote:In regards to Adams and Tackett, with the loss of those 2, you now don't have two defenders 6'7 or taller, to alter the shots of Frasher,Adkins, Skaggs, West, etc.

I still see it a little differently. IMO, Varney is a nice player, but he is not on the same level as Bryant was. Varney simply gets into foul trouble too easily to be much of a factor. The loss of Bryant will affect Valley more than the loss of the two big guys, at least locally.

I think SV will be ok inside against other area teams. Taylor Newsome is a load, Hatfield is long enough to defend taller post players, and Tyler Newsome provides some decent size too. Granted, if one of them gets in foul trouble, SV will certainly be weakened, but then that could apply to practically every team.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
goodguy Wrote:I don't see how you can base your theory on "what if Hatfield and Taylor Newsome get into foul trouble"? :eyeroll:

What if two of LC's players get into foul trouble???

You have to look at the first 5-6 players and base your projections on them. I understand depth is an issue but not enough to justify LC beating SV.

LC lost 1 player from a regional runner-up.

SV lost 3 of their top 8 players.

So, it looks to me, LC has more depth.

What size does SV have to put in the game, that could keep up with LC's big men, that has actually saw the floor for more than just garbage minutes in their career?

I don't have to look at the first 5-6 players.

I'm not saying LC is going to beat Valley, but they have a much better chance of doing so, than anyone gives them credit for.