Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Kentucky
92.50%
Cornell
7.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(1) Kentucky vs. (12) Cornell - Sweet 16- Thursday 9:57 PM
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Up until now this cornell team had only played syracuse, and seton hall. and lost to both of those team. You really think there going to beat kentucky? after beating TEMPLE and WISCONSIN?
Cornell also played and beat St. Johns on the road and lost by only 5 at Kansas. I am guessing that Kansas would have been favored to beat Kentucky in Lawrence too.

Kentucky had better not let Cornell's shooters get open looks early because they are on a tear. The Cats need to disrupt Cornell's rhythm early or it could be a tough game. They also cannot afford to have Cousins not come ready to play a full game or to shoot 1 for 7 from the freethrow line. His erratic freethrow shooting is becoming one of this team's biggest weaknesses.
There has been alot of talk about Cornell's good shooting, which I agree, but what about their ability to stop Uk in the paint? Can Cornell stop are bigs on the inside, and can Cornell score from inside the paint on UK?
sstack Wrote:There has been alot of talk about Cornell's good shooting, which I agree, but what about their ability to stop Uk in the paint? Can Cornell stop are bigs on the inside, and can Cornell score from inside the paint on UK?

I don't know if he ever plays, but Cornell has a 7 foot center on their team. No idea if he gets any playing time or not though.

Cornell is a good shooting team, and we might see a lot of what we saw earlier in the season...a team making the game closer than it should be by shooting the 3.

I think UK has progressed quite nicely this season and they have turned on the afterburners for the tournament. I just hope those burners don't run out of rocket fuel.

It will help if UK can get some of Cornell's better shooters in foul trouble early.

UK was streaky this season, they won, but some games they looked like world-beaters and other games they barely pulled out enough to win.

I don't think UK is taking any game lightly now that they're in the tournament, so with that said, I think UK rolls in this one.

Initial prediction:

UK - 88
Cornell - 76
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Cornell also played and beat St. Johns on the road and lost by only 5 at Kansas. I am guessing that Kansas would have been favored to beat Kentucky in Lawrence too.

Kentucky had better not let Cornell's shooters get open looks early because they are on a tear. The Cats need to disrupt Cornell's rhythm early or it could be a tough game. They also cannot afford to have Cousins not come ready to play a full game or to shoot 1 for 7 from the freethrow line. His erratic freethrow shooting is becoming one of this team's biggest weaknesses.

I just believe with all our guards showing up to play. We have way to many weapons and a great defensive mind set for the tournament.

For anyone to beat us.
We will win by 20+
Wake Forest coach Dino Gaudio wouldn’t necessarily disagree.

“I’ve been in the ACC 10 years,” Gaudio said. “That’s as good a basketball team as we’ve played against in the 10 years I’ve been here.”

For the record, that includes four national championship teams – Duke in 2001, Maryland in 2002 and North Carolina in 2005 and 2009.
This is a GREAT team, and is LOADED with talent. If they all play to the best of there ability, night in, night out. There is no team this year that can beat them. As you guys have saw the first two rounds this tournament, we are so much better than our opponent. Alot of people though Wake was gonna run with us...That worked well huh?
Talent
UK has a tendency to play to the level on there competition. The Big Red can play, I didn't buy into the hype Bilas was giving them during the selection show but I was dead wrong. UK can either let Cornell play with them or win by 8-14. It's really there call. I just hope they don't let Cornell stick around and let them actually think they can pull the upset, because there capable of doing it.
Aslan Wrote:UK has a tendency to play to the level on there competition. The Big Red can play, I didn't buy into the hype Bilas was giving them during the selection show but I was dead wrong. UK can either let Cornell play with them or win by 8-14. It's really there call. I just hope they don't let Cornell stick around and let them actually think they can pull the upset, because there capable of doing it.

During the regular season, UK did often play down to their competition. However, they shook that for the NCAA tourney and they have looked like the most dominant team in the land.

If we can stay on that road no one can beat us.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cornell's strength is their shooters outside not their big men. I think UK is guarding 3 point shooters much better and UK has been shooting the 3 pretty well too in the tournament. Cornell doesn't have anybody that can match Cousins and Patterson as big men or Wall as an overall player and driving to basket so I think UK will win relatively easy though it may be close for awhile in the first half.
Cornell wins!!!! #12 seed Cornell is awesome and don't underestimate the talent this team has. I've watched their first 2 games and they are impressive. They've beaten a good Temple team that lost only 5 games all year. Today, in Jacksonville they beat an excellent #4 seed Wisconsin team easily. They are on a roll and Cornell only lost 4 games all year. Very smart team maybe because they're Ivy-League, that hits 3 point shots well but also they have some toughness with a 7 foot center who is a great rebounder.

I predicted this Cornell team could beat Kentucky after they won against Temple in the first round. Now, we'll see them play a great Kentucky team but I'm more impressed with them than any other team thus far especially the fact that they are the lowest seeded team left

Cornell runs a very efficient offensive system, and should be able to get some open looks.
i think it will be a close game til the cats get on a roll thin its lights out. uk all the way
lwc Wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, just for the record...Wisconsin was a GOOD team. They had many big wins. Temple, maybe not so much but Wisconsin was GOOD.

Wisconsin was a a great team! In fact they had some very big wins! Cornell is a better team and not only beat them, they whipped them
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
ComfortEagle Wrote:During the regular season, UK did often play down to their competition. However, they shook that for the NCAA tourney and they have looked like the most dominant team in the land.

Not saying UK isnt playing the best in the land right now! But who have they played in the tourney? You guys were talking about cornell not playing anyone in the tourney! Wisconsin is better than ETSU and Wake
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
UK by 15! They better defend the three though is all I am saying.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Neither Wisconsin nor Temple are mediocre teams and both teams are very good defensively. I hope you are right and UK will roll over Cornell but if the Cats take Cornell lightly, then they may go home disappointed. Cornell did not just beat Wisconsin and Temple, they dominated them and shot lights out both games (58.8% combined).

UK is a young team and they cannot afford to take a very good team lightly.

Wisconsin may be good but I don't care what anyone says, Temple will never get any respect from me...

Let's just all hope I am right...lol.
ComfortEagle Wrote:During the regular season, UK did often play down to their competition. However, they shook that for the NCAA tourney and they have looked like the most dominant team in the land.

Yep, I have to give them that. Granted the competition wasn't great, they still did what there were 'posed to do. UK has been the most impressive team in the tourney so far.
theVILLE Wrote:Not saying UK isnt playing the best in the land right now! But who have they played in the tourney? You guys were talking about cornell not playing anyone in the tourney! Wisconsin is better than ETSU and Wake

The fact of the matter is that THEY'RE STILL PLAYING!!!! What of your team? Gone home to rest for finals. You made your point that you think Cornell will beat the CATS. Another thought, you say who has UK beat this year. What does that say about your team? Nuff said.:flame:
If Ky. can improve on the 3's, and play like they did against Wake Forest, I say Ky. by 12. Go Cats!!
Kentucky 77-64.
I am usually a pretty cautious UK fan and this game seems to be the upset flavor of the week.....

With that said I am going to make a bold predicition and say UK wins this by 15+ points!

Let's get away from "who played who", "Senior leadership", "homecourt advantage", and look at the fact that from roster spot 1-10 there is not a single position where you would take a Cornell player over a UK player. UK has 2 All-Americans and 4 players projected in the NBA Draft's Lottery at the moment. UK has arguably the best PG and best player in the country. UK has a size, speed, athleticism, and strength advantage at essentially every position.

Northern Iowa beat Kansas thanks to timely clutch shooting, equivolant presence in the paint, and above all else DEFENSE. Northern Iowa is one of the Top 3 defensive teams in the country, Cornell is not. Cornell is a very prolific offense, but they are far from the ball control, tempo controlling offense that Northern Iowa used. For the fast tempo and the high point total UK scores they are pound for pound one of the best defensive teams in the country. People forget that. As good as UK's offense looked against Wake Forest their defense was all the more impressive.

Cornell will fight with Kentucky for a while and keep it close for a Half. But expect UK to slowly build on a lead until the end when they are able to open the game up a bit.

Cornell's only hope is early foul trouble for Cousins, UK to be ice cold from 3, and for Wall and Bledsoe to try and force the pace. This could happen, but that is the ONLY way Cornell upsets UK.
theVILLE Wrote:Not saying UK isnt playing the best in the land right now! But who have they played in the tourney? You guys were talking about cornell not playing anyone in the tourney! Wisconsin is better than ETSU and Wake

Valid point.... but... are they 30 points better than ETSU and Wake? For that matter would you consider Cornell to be 20 points better than either? UK could have beaten either of those teams by 40+ had they wanted to.

It may not have been in the NCAA Tourney, but two weeks ago UK beat Tennessee by almost 30 points as well. Tennessee, I say without hesitation, is better than Wisconsin.

If UK and Cornell both play their best game, UK is still 15-20 points better. The only way Cornell wins is as I outlined above in the other post.
theVILLE Wrote:On my bracket that i entered for money! I picked Cornell so I am going to stay by that! I knew everyone would have UK winning it so had to go with a cinderella! Cornell by 5! I dont know if UK can play another great game!

The crap that comes out of your mouth.. geee..

Louisville's still in the tourney, not.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Valid point.... but... are they 30 points better than ETSU and Wake? For that matter would you consider Cornell to be 20 points better than either? UK could have beaten either of those teams by 40+ had they wanted to.

It may not have been in the NCAA Tourney, but two weeks ago UK beat Tennessee by almost 30 points as well. Tennessee, I say without hesitation, is better than Wisconsin.

If UK and Cornell both play their best game, UK is still 15-20 points better. The only way Cornell wins is as I outlined above in the other post.

UK has more talent than anyone in the land...i have never denied that! Its there consistency! They sometimes remind of the motto i use for louisville, "there like a box of chocoaltes, u never know what your going to get" However that is much more true with louisville and uk nearly always finds a way to win! I think they will struggle this game..I disagree with you on the tennessee and wisconsin part, wisconsin is a heck of a team and could beat anyone! They have great shooters and play great D and rebound! I have not been impressed with UT all season..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am usually a pretty cautious UK fan and this game seems to be the upset flavor of the week.....

With that said I am going to make a bold predicition and say UK wins this by 15+ points!

Let's get away from "who played who", "Senior leadership", "homecourt advantage", and look at the fact that from roster spot 1-10 there is not a single position where you would take a Cornell player over a UK player. UK has 2 All-Americans and 4 players projected in the NBA Draft's Lottery at the moment. UK has arguably the best PG and best player in the country. UK has a size, speed, athleticism, and strength advantage at essentially every position.

Northern Iowa beat Kansas thanks to timely clutch shooting, equivolant presence in the paint, and above all else DEFENSE. Northern Iowa is one of the Top 3 defensive teams in the country, Cornell is not. Cornell is a very prolific offense, but they are far from the ball control, tempo controlling offense that Northern Iowa used. For the fast tempo and the high point total UK scores they are pound for pound one of the best defensive teams in the country. People forget that. As good as UK's offense looked against Wake Forest their defense was all the more impressive.

Cornell will fight with Kentucky for a while and keep it close for a Half. But expect UK to slowly build on a lead until the end when they are able to open the game up a bit.

Cornell's only hope is early foul trouble for Cousins, UK to be ice cold from 3, and for Wall and Bledsoe to try and force the pace. This could happen, but that is the ONLY way Cornell upsets UK.

I do agrree thats the only way cornell wins! Look back this happend alot this season!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
UK by 20.
theVILLE Wrote:UK has more talent than anyone in the land...i have never denied that! Its there consistency! They sometimes remind of the motto i use for louisville, "there like a box of chocoaltes, u never know what your going to get" However that is much more true with louisville and uk nearly always finds a way to win! I think they will struggle this game..I disagree with you on the tennessee and wisconsin part, wisconsin is a heck of a team and could beat anyone! They have great shooters and play great D and rebound! I have not been impressed with UT all season..

UT's victories over Kentucky and Kansas trump anything Wisconsin has done so far. Tennessee may very well go to the Final 4.
Well, Kentucky has basically had the most impressive wins of the 1st and 2nd Rds of the tournament and I look for them to steam roll through Cornell on through to the Elite 8! Wildcats by 20
Kentucky's going for the championship.
They will play to the best of their ability just like so far in the tournament ,it doesn't matter who the opponent is.