Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky's Season
I forgot, someone said talent doesnt win every game, no, this is true, but 35 out of 38 is pretty D*** good IMO. Someone else said experience wins games, this is also bull. This discussion is 50-50 neither wins more games then the other. IMO they are experienced, these boys have played basketball their ENTIRE lives... They know how to play. No such thing as freshmen mistakes, thats just an excuse we want to use. Fact is, we played very poor, and WVU came prepared and shot absolutely insane from beyond the arc, we lost, but hey, it happens.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I use to really like Kentucky (and I am sure this has happened to other fans when it comes to others teams)but since being a member of two message board sites that are from Kentucky I have been so turned off to Kentucky athletics to the point that it is hard to root for them in anything.
Yea and OSU fans don't act like it is their right to play in the BCS title game every year because they win the crappy Big Ten.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Did anyone watch the Vandy game this year? Wall and his no defense?

Some of you guys are out there.

WVU shot like 200% tonite from three. On the season they shoot worse than UK from there. Sometimes the best team loses.

amen to that WV couldnt shoot like that again to save there lives
Hoot Gibson Wrote:In two or three years, these same players will not be missing 28 of 32 three-pointers. Young players improve with age and they also get better at handling pressure situations. Experience matters in any sport and in any game.

Missing shots has NOTHING to do with inexperience. You can play basketball your whole life and still go through cold streaks like UK did. Dumb turnovers, stupid fouls, not knowing time and score, that's examples of inexperience. So again, UK did not lose that game bc of inexperience.
Experience does matter. But with the one and done rule, you can't have super talented teams like UK(5 future pro's) and a vast amount of experience. You can do what Izzo and Coach K do, recruit 3-4 year guys, with a possibility of developing them to pro's and them being very experienced, or what Cal does, pretty much have an inexperienced pro the first day there on campus.
superfreak Wrote:You're a @@#@# idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:

Temper, temper. Confusedhh:
No need to get butthurt.
Aslan Wrote:Was it a success?
SEC regular season and tournament champs.
Second overall #1 seed.
Bounced in the elite 8.
Personally, I don't think so. Wall is going to be the number one overall pick. Cousins and PP are potential lottery picks. Bledsoe and Orton are possibly first rounders also. With five future NBA players and most the better teams already beat out, an elite 8 finish at UK is disappointing. Cal wasn't brought here to get UK to elite 8's, Tubby did that. IMO Cal is an elite recruiter, not an elite coach. That's just the truth. He should of won it at Memphis and he should of won this year.
What say you?

LOL,. Get a life.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:LOL,. Get a life.

Lmao. Get 'em Killer.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Yea and OSU fans don't act like it is their right to play in the BCS title game every year because they win the crappy Big Ten.
OSU fans in football are like Kentucky fans when it comes to basketball, well most of them.
{Both teams fans are like that for the most part)
Amun-Ra Wrote:Yea and OSU fans don't act like it is their right to play in the BCS title game every year because they win the crappy Big Ten.

I hate OSU!!! There fans might be worse than some of UK's...maybe.
Wow, Fire cal and get some players that can play? I'm speechless. How can you sit there and say that? We had the top recruits in the country and your downing our players and our coach? I am ****ed about the loss to WV too, but UK had a great season. Who do you think got those guys to come to UK? Cal of course, saying we need a new coach is stupid and you need to go get your head checked. I guarantee you that there will be some of those guys that come back next year hungry, starving for a title.. and when they do it will be **** for everyone in D1 basketball.
I'm disappointed in the way it ended. I don't think we gave it everything we had, but all in all, I'm extremely pleased. If you would have told me this time last year that we would only lose 3 games all year and make it to the elite 8 then I would have taken it in a heartbeat. We've come a long ways in a year and I'm very happy at the direction in which we are going. If you can give me 30+ wins per year and a fun team to watch, then I'm going to be grateful. Winning a championship will come as long as we are winning 30+ games.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Only in Kentucky, and I mean ONLY in Kentucky does a team win 35 games (after an NIT season and 4 straight 13+ loss seasons) with a first year coach, and a team full of freshmen, and ***** about it. Unbelievable. I hope they all do go pro, and Cal leaves, and then you can have Billy G or Tubby back, and go 21-13, bounced in the second round every year with a bunch of 6'5 swingmen from here on out.
I figured at the first of the year with Cal and his incoming talent that they would make Elite 8. If they hadn't, I would have still been happy, after what we've had. UK is back on the map. I hated the way we lost to WVU, but this was a great season for UK, after what we've had. For the first time in years, it is fun trying to get home from work in time to watch a game. We have known for years that UK has the some of the worst fans in the country, as far as expectations go. I'm with you, some KY fans deserve to get Billy G back. 35-3 and people are *****ing, LOL.
BCF4L Wrote:I'm disappointed in the way it ended. I don't think we gave it everything we had, but all in all, I'm extremely pleased. If you would have told me this time last year that we would only lose 3 games all year and make it to the elite 8 then I would have taken it in a heartbeat. We've come a long ways in a year and I'm very happy at the direction in which we are going. If you can give me 30+ wins per year and a fun team to watch, then I'm going to be grateful. Winning a championship will come as long as we are winning 30+ games.
+1
Aslan Wrote:Was it a success?
SEC regular season and tournament champs.
Second overall #1 seed.
Bounced in the elite 8.
Personally, I don't think so. Wall is going to be the number one overall pick. Cousins and PP are potential lottery picks. Bledsoe and Orton are possibly first rounders also. With five future NBA players and most the better teams already beat out, an elite 8 finish at UK is disappointing. Cal wasn't brought here to get UK to elite 8's, Tubby did that. IMO Cal is an elite recruiter, not an elite coach. That's just the truth. He should of won it at Memphis and he should of won this year.
What say you?

You also have to put in there Massachusettes as well for they could had won that year to...if Calipari was a great coach he would had found a way to win...he would had attacked that 1-3-1 correctly...but his coaching decisions was absolutely horrible...I have no problem as long as he keeps bringing the great talent but I will have a problem with Cal if he does not change his coaching ways.
Ballers Wrote:Wow, Fire cal and get some players that can play? I'm speechless. How can you sit there and say that? We had the top recruits in the country and your downing our players and our coach? I am ****ed about the loss to WV too, but UK had a great season. Who do you think got those guys to come to UK? Cal of course, saying we need a new coach is stupid and you need to go get your head checked. I guarantee you that there will be some of those guys that come back next year hungry, starving for a title.. and when they do it will be **** for everyone in D1 basketball.
Dude change your pad. I was being sarcastic, lol..read my other posts on this very thread. Youll see that Im very pro-Cal and I love the UK players Big Grin And seriously, why all this hating on West Virginia?? Does everybody hate Gardner Webb and VMI too? I hope they go to the championship game (and lose to Butler)..no reason to hate the 'Neers though, just my opinion Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
One other thing about experience..at the beginning of the 1991-92 season, Michigan started five freshmen, had a solid regular season (20-8), losing several games they should have won, yet got hot in the tourney and made it to the championship game before getting whipped by Duke 71-51, finishing at 25-9. The next season, with all of them returning to school, they go 31-4, beating Kentucky in the final four and again making it to the championship game before Webber called the infamous timeout that eventually cost them the game (where they lost by 6 to Carolina)..I believe experience DOES play a factor..I used to watch a lot of Michigan back then, and they were a totally different, more mature team in the second year than they were the first..maturity on this level means a LOT.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:One other thing about experience..at the beginning of the 1991-92 season, Michigan started five freshmen, had a solid regular season (20-8), losing several games they should have won, yet got hot in the tourney and made it to the championship game before getting whipped by Duke 71-51, finishing at 25-9. The next season, with all of them returning to school, they go 31-4, beating Kentucky in the final four and again making it to the championship game before Webber called the infamous timeout that eventually cost them the game (where they lost by 6 to Carolina)..I believe experience DOES play a factor..I used to watch a lot of Michigan back then, and they were a totally different, more mature team in the second year than they were the first..maturity on this level means a LOT.

And if they improved like that imagine Kentucky next year if they returned (which isnt happening). Not much to improve on 35-3 what would we go? lol.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Dude change your pad. I was being sarcastic, lol..read my other posts on this very thread. Youll see that Im very pro-Cal and I love the UK players Big Grin And seriously, why all this hating on West Virginia?? Does everybody hate Gardner Webb and VMI too? I hope they go to the championship game (and lose to Butler)..no reason to hate the 'Neers though, just my opinion Smile

I was proud of GWebb and I called VMI, but I dislike WV very much. I hope Duke beats them actually (and I don't like Duke either, I do have much respect for their coach though). Then I hope either Mich. St. or Butler beat Duke in the final game.
K_Mac Wrote:I was proud of GWebb and I called VMI, but I dislike WV very much. I hope Duke beats them actually (and I don't like Duke either, I do have much respect for their coach though). Then I hope either Mich. St. or Butler beat Duke in the final game.

:rockon::notworthy:worthy:
Aslan Wrote:Lmao. Get 'em Killer.

Smile, im just still in shock lol
FoOtBaLl FrEaK 8-0 Wrote::rockon::notworthy:worthy:

Thank ya, Thank ya
^ You're welcome!
Honestly, I have watched West Virginia a lot this year (because they have had a lot of nationally televised games) and I just don't get a good feeling about them. Their fans throw coins and shout obscenities to every team that comes into their arena. I mean, I know you don't like them but show some of them a little respect. Plus, they had a lot of luck in the Big East tournament. If it wasn't for Butler hitting a few amazing bull crap shots in the final seconds, one of which was a travel, then they probably don't even get the 2 seed that eventually hands UK their final loss of the season. I never imagined that those buzzer beaters by wvu would eventually come back to haunt Kentucky so horribly.
I think UK had a great season...if you dont think so then your nuts...I mean 35-3 is amazing...Well for UK standards it may not be...Its just one season though for cal...Do i think he will get to a final four at UK yes i do...Do i think he will win a national championship...NOPE! But i think that this proves why WV should been a #1 seed
You guys forgot one thing. Coach Cal said that it wasn't going to happen in one year. If you guys thought he was kidding, then even the final four wouldn't have satisfied you. Think about how many years Pitino took us to a final four. It took 3 years! Give him time. It also took 3 years for Joe B Hall!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:You guys forgot one thing. Coach Cal said that it wasn't going to happen in one year. If you guys thought he was kidding, then even the final four wouldn't have satisfied you. Think about how many years Pitino took us to a final four. It took 3 years! Give him time. It also took 3 years for Joe B Hall!

Yea but we miss tubby! LMAO!
cougarpride08 Wrote:You guys forgot one thing. Coach Cal said that it wasn't going to happen in one year. If you guys thought he was kidding, then even the final four wouldn't have satisfied you. Think about how many years Pitino took us to a final four. It took 3 years! Give him time. It also took 3 years for Joe B Hall!

Pitino took over a program that was on probation and wasn't even allowed to attend the SEC or NCAA tounaments.
Aslan Wrote:Pitino took over a program that was on probation and wasn't even allowed to attend the SEC or NCAA tounaments.

EXACTLY! Nothing against Cal but he isnt the coach pitino is...Pitino is a much better coach than cal...Recruiting, well cal tops EVERYONE in that area!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:EXACTLY! Nothing against Cal but he isnt the coach pitino is...Pitino is a much better coach than cal...Recruiting, well cal tops EVERYONE in that area!

Really?

And for everyone who thinks this was not a successful season; I just do not get it. I am as big a Kentucky fan as the next guy but you people make me sick to my stomach. These 18 and 19 year old kids gave everything they had for 38 games this year and provided us with some great memories. While they were putting hours into practice and film and extra time in the gym every single day all we did as fans was spend a couple of hours once or twice a week watching them from the couch. Everybody wanted to see them win it all, I get it. But to have a group of kids give the effort that these guys did for the University and the fan base and still complain because they don't have a ring to show for it is selfish. There are 65 teams who play in the tournament and many many many more who don't even make it that far and to say that all but one of them is a success is absolutely ridiculous.
After witnessing the upset of UK and WVU, the rolling of Bulter and Duke to the final, I know that the Cats blew the best opportunity. Now as a season, this was far and beyond what anyone would have peeged a year ago. The amount of excitment in the air and the brightness of the future is amazing. I think that alone is what makes this season successful, but if you look at the numbers, we had the best record, won the SEC outright, SEC tourney, and got to the 2000th win before UNC (like we should have), and promoted the UK brand as the power in college basketball. This season was a shocking success from what it should have been but was 3 wins away from being legendary.