Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite High School Gym
MVP2 Wrote:I like it, looks really nice. I'd like to go catch and game here and see how nice it really is. Thanks for showing the pic bro.

You SHOULD!! My jaw dropped when I walked in there for the first time!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
corbin
Excellent floor to play on.
Does anyone have any pictures of Paintsville's gym with their state champions banner??? As well as Valley. I haven't been in there in a while.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Most of you posting are younger and like the new gyms of the newer schools which are all nice. But for atmostphere you must go back to the older gym. Everts when we played there in 1979 had a nice team and when they played their 1-3-1 half court the 3 middle players could stand and touch fingers as the court was so narrow. Not only was the old Virgie teams great but the fans would stand on the upper deck and shake the goals when you shot. Somewhere maybe Dorton had chicken wire around the upper deck. At Feds Creek the fans feet were on the floor and the upper deck ones could hang out over the floor. Always not good for a visiting player taking the ball out of bounds.
fedscreekviking Wrote:Most of you posting are younger and like the new gyms of the newer schools which are all nice. But for atmostphere you must go back to the older gym. Everts when we played there in 1979 had a nice team and when they played their 1-3-1 half court the 3 middle players could stand and touch fingers as the court was so narrow. Not only was the old Virgie teams great but the fans would stand on the upper deck and shake the goals when you shot. Somewhere maybe Dorton had chicken wire around the upper deck. At Feds Creek the fans feet were on the floor and the upper deck ones could hang out over the floor. Always not good for a visiting player taking the ball out of bounds.

Papaw who played for Virgie always talk about how the ole gyms where. I am so awe-inspired that I look listening and hearing how the old "dead spots" in the floor gave Virgie the best advantage because they knew where to go and what spots to avoid.
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
Augusta's gym has a great atmosphere... everyone is close to the floor... an upper deck... the Bracken-Augusta games were the best there!
I would like to see a picture of the Pulaski County High School Gym because it is the largest Gym in the State of Kentucky as far as seating capacity is concerned and it tied for the 15th Largest High School Gym in the Country as far as seating capacity is concerned!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
leecoukfan Wrote:I would like to see a picture of the Pulaski County High School Gym because it is the largest Gym in the State of Kentucky as far as seating capacity is concerned and it tied for the 15th Largest High School Gym in the Country as far as seating capacity is concerned!!

Holy crap!! Never would have known that! Thanks for that information! lol:rockon:
[SIZE="4"]
leecoukfan Wrote:I would like to see a picture of the Pulaski County High School Gym because it is the largest Gym in the State of Kentucky as far as seating capacity is concerned and it tied for the 15th Largest High School Gym in the Country as far as seating capacity is concerned!!

How much does it seat?

Guys I have been to over half the gyms in the state. Pulaski County is no way the largest gym in Kentucky as far as seating is concerned. I have been in that gym several times and there is no way. I would say there is fifty gyms in the state of Kentucky with more seating. There is no way that gym seats 7000 people.
East Kentucky Expo Center only seats 7000. You could put two of Pulaski County's gyms in there.
aslan Wrote:how much does it seat?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Breathitt has one beautiful place. The wood work on the ceiling is very nice. Alot of histroy in that place also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
C.Clair Wrote:Breathitt has one beautiful place. The wood work on the ceiling is very nice. Alot of histroy in that place also.

I agree. Breathitt and Hazard are both unique and full of history.
leecoukfan Wrote:7000

Been there many times. The gym does not hold 7000 people. I think there has been a typo and the football stadium and the gym has been mixed up.
Cat Daddy Wrote:I agree. Breathitt and Hazard are both unique and full of history.

Hazard and Perry Central have nice gyms. never been in Breathitt's.
New gyms are nice but the old gyms have heart. The best gym I ever played in was Wayland, floor had spring, stiff rims, fans right on the floor with you. The best thing about Wayland Gym is that the King played there!!!
Of all the gyms I have been in during the last three years the new gym at Montgomery County ranks pretty high on my list.
C.Clair Wrote:Breathitt has one beautiful place. The wood work on the ceiling is very nice. Alot of histroy in that place also.

but man....
the parking is AWFUL lol
I'm not sure if this is fact or not but I have been told by someone that should know that HC does not have the highest capacity, but does have one of if not the largest square footage in KY.
I may be wrong but I believe Henry Co has the largest capacity in the state at 8000
LCDAWGS19 Wrote:I may be wrong but I believe Henry Co has the largest capacity in the state at 8000

No, according to KHSAA their gym only has a capacity of 5400. You can even go to Wikipedia [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_high_school_gyms_in_the_United_States[/ame] where it shows that Pulaski County has the largest seating capacity gym in the state.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wiki is not reliable.
I do not care who says what. I was in Pulaski Countys gym for two days back about two months ago. It DOES NOT hold 7000 people. That would make it as big as the Expo Center. It is smaller then Perry Centrals and Knott Centrals as far as seating. The info from Wiki is taken from the KHSAA reference and I truly believe it is a typo. Because it states that their football stadium only holds 2000 while it appears to hold much more.
zaga_fan Wrote:but man....
the parking is AWFUL lol

Couldnt be any worse than the parking at Hazard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I always played well at the Elkhorn City's gym, so that has to be a favorite of mine.
Betsy Layne's gym seems like the floor was a trampoline so that was an interesting place to play.
Scott County's gym is great.

Central Hardin holds 4,006, has plenty of parking, high ceilings (if you enter the main entrance, you must walk down 15+ steps to get to the floor) and bright lights.

Nelson County has seating on all four sides and has come a long way with new floor and brighter lights.

As far as the bigger gyms in the state, the Mason County Fieldhouse, Henry County gym and Montgomery County's are some of the bigger ones. Like others, there is no way Pulaski County is among the biggest in the country.
Anywhere but sheldon clark,, go there and your afraid something is gonna fall off the roof and hit your head....lmao
9-POINT Wrote:Anywhere but sheldon clark,, go there and your afraid something is gonna fall off the roof and hit your head....lmao

57th district is great atmosphere come playoff time!