Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th region
foley war Wrote:clay co. toughest game to state was with jackson co. in opening of district clay won 4-1 but close well pitched game by duncan.hardest challenge clay had till state so dont count jackson co. out they return everyone and pick up transfer from arkansaa and really good freshman

:Thumbs: Agreed! Jackson is definately a sleeper in the region, and could very well pull off some upsets to end up in the regionals and possibly some upsets once they get there. Duncan is the most underated player in the 13th imo, and one of the best in it.
I couldn't agree more about Jackson. A lot of talent, not much of a coach though. The times I watched Jackson last year he really seemed to hold them back. Duncan is very good, if he doesn't get overthrown this year. He had lost a lot of velocity from earlier in the season last year. It's the same with King. I think he threw way too many pitches last year, and you could tell later in the year (i.e. the North game). I don't think Hillard will overthrow him this year though.
Hit and Run Wrote:I couldn't agree more about Jackson. A lot of talent, not much of a coach though. The times I watched Jackson last year he really seemed to hold them back. Duncan is very good, if he doesn't get overthrown this year. He had lost a lot of velocity from earlier in the season last year. It's the same with King. I think he threw way too many pitches last year, and you could tell later in the year (i.e. the North game). I don't think Hillard will overthrow him this year though.

He wont because their will be other solid pitchers in the rotation.
hit and run, i meant to bold that whole sentence agreeing with you! my mistake.
I think Hillard will do a much better job than Vanover. Vanover was way too concerned with winning regular season games. King threw something like 160 pitches last year aganist Corbin. A kid should never throw that many pitches. I understand his arm felt good at the time, and he was still throwing well but an adult should never put a kid's future at risk like that. A high school kid should be on a 90 pitch limit tops.
Hit and Run Wrote:I think Hillard will do a much better job than Vanover. Vanover was way too concerned with winning regular season games. King threw something like 160 pitches last year aganist Corbin. A kid should never throw that many pitches. I understand his arm felt good at the time, and he was still throwing well but an adult should never put a kid's future at risk like that. A high school kid should be on a 90 pitch limit tops.

It was more like 110-120 pitches. Which still is alot, but not near 160.
Sorry it was 143. lol
Hit and Run Wrote:Sorry it was 143. lol

Says the thread that was on here last season? If so that thread had incorrect information I do remember.
Hit and Run. I'm sorry but you are never correct on this site. First you say it was 160 then 143. It was neither and you want people on here to think you know what you are talking about. You make statments about what you think happened all the time but provide no facts or stats. Gets your facts straight. It will be very difficult for KNOX to beat Clay with out King or Gilbert on the mound. They have got to hit the ball throughout the lineup something they have not been able to do in years past. From what I read Clay and KNOX both play Danville and each other in the regular season these will be games that can really compare the two teams. I think this thread needs to get away from talking about KNOX and Clay I think we all know that the region will more than likely come down to these two teams. We also know that they are loaded with talent and both teams have the best players in the Region. KNOX has a chip on their soldier from last season. If they use this for motivation to get better then watch out. What about some of the other teams in the Region!!!!!!!!
Haha. It's been a year since that happened. i had to go back and check my e-mail and see what it said. I agree Knox Central is very talented, as I have said throughout this thread. Do I think they can beat Clay? yes. Do I think they can beat Clay when the lights are on and the pressure is up in the regional tournament? Absolutely not. I've also discussed North Laurel and Corbin in this thread so I don't think I'm just discussing those two.
watch out for north and south laurel to be sleepers in the 13th
I see Kc winning region this year. They dont lose anyone and from what I hear, there working hard during the off season, I dont think they want to stop at region either.
With all due respect to Knox who does have a few dang good players in King, Gilbert, Bailey, etc. I just don't see them winning the region. I seen them 3 times last season and I just didn't come away that impressed. Maybe I'm wrong. But that's just my opinion. I do believe King is the best arm in the region and they CAN beat anybody when he is pitching. Only time will tell, but I believe that Harlan County and North Laurel have the edge over them.
King is the best arm. and who does NL and HC return?
NL will be extremely solid. Allen, Damron, Brooks, Carson, Storm, Eversole, and Bullard can play. HC returns quite a few players, but I'm not all that impressed with them. North's pitching depth is going to be good. Smith and Caldwell are big losses, but I think they will be fine and be real solid by the end of the year. I think they are more dangerous than Knox in a tournament situation.
the light wizard Wrote:King is the best arm. and who does NL and HC return?

HC returns ace Boggs.
Corbin will not be a factor in the 13th. They have practically nobody with the exception of vorbeck. What is a pitcher without a catcher though? Does corbin even have a catcher this year? Or a shortstop? North Laurel doesnt have any pitching that a team cant handle, but has a lot of solid players returning. Clay loses two to graduation. If josh wilson is in the rotation they should be tough come tourney time. Knox returns everyone, plus a young coach who knows how to win. Harlan didnt impress me much. South is rebuilding. Clay and Knox are my 1 and 2 pre-season picks. Whitley.... Who knows.
The 2 that Clay graduated are very replaceable though. Nicholson and Sumner were very good players and started all 4 years, but if Gilbert plays they probably put a more athletic unit on the field, and depending on how some of the younger infielders devolop they could actually be better talent wise. Those 2 brought some intangibles that they will miss, but I think the older kids will devolop what those guys brought to the table.
Congrats to Nicholson also! I heard he was furthering his career at Union. That is always a good thing for a young man to get to experience.
agreed that both of the players can be replaced. However, I dont see clay as a totally dominant team. They got hot when it mattered. That will be the determining factor as to who will claim region. if you will recall, clay got beat by williamsburg a week before tourney time. Any team can win on any given day.
Couldn't agree with that more. I think a lot of that goes with dealing with pressure like I've said throughout the thread. Clay handled the pressure better than any of the other teams last year. They never got rattled at any point in their run. I think that goes with getting hot is having confidence and knowing that you're capable of getting the job done when the lights are on.
I agree pressure defiantly got to KC, but now they've seen that pressure and know how to face it. Kinda like college basketball, whose the favorite? The great one and done freshmen, or the good team who knows what there facing. Centrals tasted bitter defeat, I dont believe they'll let it happen again.
Hit and Run Wrote:NL will be extremely solid. Allen, Damron, Brooks, Carson, Storm, Eversole, and Bullard can play. HC returns quite a few players, but I'm not all that impressed with them. North's pitching depth is going to be good. Smith and Caldwell are big losses, but I think they will be fine and be real solid by the end of the year. I think they are more dangerous than Knox in a tournament situation.

the light wizard Wrote:King is the best arm. and who does NL and HC return?

HC returns IMO the best pitcher in the region not named Justin King in Tyler Boggs. Along with a top glove and bat in Braxton Fields. Pitching outside of Boggs will be key for them I believe as James Bond(yes he wears #7) will have a coming out party in his sophomore season on the hill along with Senior Lefty Aaron Johnson who has had some success. HC will still be young after graduating only 2 starters in Blayne Rutherford(Berea College) & Robbie Halcomb, but will probably only play 2 seniors this year. HC definitely has talent, still young though and I do believe they will be a tough out come region. Lookin forward to games on that nice new field this spring :rockon:

NL as stated returns a bunch too. Carson is a flat out stud.
SeKyCatFan Wrote:HC returns IMO the best pitcher in the region not named Justin King in Tyler Boggs. Along with a top glove and bat in Braxton Fields. Pitching outside of Boggs will be key for them I believe as James Bond(yes he wears #7) will have a coming out party in his sophomore season on the hill along with Senior Lefty Aaron Johnson who has had some success. HC will still be young after graduating only 2 starters in Blayne Rutherford(Berea College) & Robbie Halcomb, but will probably only play 2 seniors this year. HC definitely has talent, still young though and I do believe they will be a tough out come region. Lookin forward to games on that nice new field this spring :rockon:

So its for sure 100% that they have their own field now?
The Regional Tournament is at Clay and Clay will be the favorite. I see clay winning the 13th. I am not a clay fan, but give Smith credit, he won the region in his first year as a coach and looks to win his second.
King is very good and can beat anyone, but his surrounding group must improve. He can only carry you so far.
the dark wizard Wrote:So its for sure 100% that they have their own field now?

Construction has been going on for a while now and is scheduled to be finished in time for the 2011 season.
SeKyCatFan Wrote:HC returns IMO the best pitcher in the region not named Justin King in Tyler Boggs. Along with a top glove and bat in Braxton Fields. Pitching outside of Boggs will be key for them I believe as James Bond(yes he wears #7) will have a coming out party in his sophomore season on the hill along with Senior Lefty Aaron Johnson who has had some success. HC will still be young after graduating only 2 starters in Blayne Rutherford(Berea College) & Robbie Halcomb, but will probably only play 2 seniors this year. HC definitely has talent, still young though and I do believe they will be a tough out come region. Lookin forward to games on that nice new field this spring :rockon:

Carson is the 2nd best player in the region. He can do it all. A name to look at for this year is Corey Corum at Clay. He's moving back to CF and I talked to some people this week that said he was putting some solid work in. The kid is as fast as Carson, but has more pop at the plate. Carson takes much better routes on balls in the OF, but they have similar arms. People saying Corbin will be a non factor need to reconsider. Does everyone remember what they lost in 09? Hendrickson, Smith, Sewell, Matlock, Salmons, and the catcher. (I want to think his last name was Spray.) They lost their whole infield and lost their CF, who was arguably the best player in the region in 09. They still made it to the final last year with all of those losses. Corbin just reloads. Rob will find a way to have his team as contenders by May.
Hit and Run Wrote:Carson is the 2nd best player in the region. He can do it all. A name to look at for this year is Corey Corum at Clay. He's moving back to CF and I talked to some people this week that said he was putting some solid work in. The kid is as fast as Carson, but has more pop at the plate. Carson takes much better routes on balls in the OF, but they have similar arms. People saying Corbin will be a non factor need to reconsider. Does everyone remember what they lost in 09? Hendrickson, Smith, Sewell, Matlock, Salmons, and the catcher. (I want to think his last name was Spray.) They lost their whole infield and lost their CF, who was arguably the best player in the region in 09. They still made it to the final last year with all of those losses. Corbin just reloads. Rob will find a way to have his team as contenders by May.
Is that the lefty leadoff batter for Clay? Because he can FLY!!!!!

To be honest I was about to say Carson might be the best player in the region. Kid can play.
He's good. Really good, but he's not at the level of Wilson. Wilson is the type of kid that he could play any of the 9 positions on the field and he'd be the best in the region at that spot. He is a flat out player. Corum was the LF last year and batted 2nd.