Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th region
if im not mistaken i believe the region tournament is at middlesborro again
No. Region is at Clay. They had to re work the schedule because of Middlesboro skipping the 51st last year.
Is clay hosting region official, I havn't heard anything about it.
I talked to Coach Smith last week and he said that it was definitely at Clay. That's what I'm going by.
Well if it is true, I dont like it. Clay have a good team, but unless they've done a lot of work, the fields not so much. Its a rough field and the dugouts are to small. As much as I hate to say, Middlesboro would be better. Then again, I haven't played either of them in a while.
TheFireWizard Wrote:Well if it is true, I dont like it. Clay have a good team, but unless they've done a lot of work, the fields not so much. Its a rough field and the dugouts are to small. As much as I hate to say, Middlesboro would be better. Then again, I haven't played either of them in a while.

:Thumbs: Clay is a great team with a terrible facility! I have seen all but 3 fields in the 13th (Jackson, OBI, Red Bird) and the 4 worst fields from bottom up (that ive saw) imo lists as so.

1. Pineville
2. Barbourville
3. Clay County
4. Middlesboro

Unfortunately for the 13th fields like Clay and Mboro do have all the requirements for the region tourny, even though they are terrible playing surfaces.
I couldn't agree more. Harlan IND is pretty bad and if HC plays at Cawood it is also bad. As far a playing surface Clay's isn't all that bad. The infield is real smooth. There are some spots in the OF, but nothing major. The main thing about Clay's field is the dugouts and the concessions. This make the actual playing surface to appear worse than it actually is. They also need a legit warning track. Knox has the best field in the region IMO.
Hit and Run Wrote:I couldn't agree more. Harlan IND is pretty bad and if HC plays at Cawood it is also bad. As far a playing surface Clay's isn't all that bad. The infield is real smooth. There are some spots in the OF, but nothing major. The main thing about Clay's field is the dugouts and the concessions. This make the actual playing surface to appear worse than it actually is. They also need a legit warning track. Knox has the best field in the region IMO.

HC is scheduled to be on their new field this year. It will be a very, very nice facility. It will be very similar to the Whitley Co. facility...........
A lot of work has been done on Clay's field. The playing surface is fine. They can't control the dugouts and those things. Those require a lot of money to fix. Something the baseball team doesn't have. If HC wants a field like Whitley's they will have a nice place then. It takes a lot of money and even more work to maintain a place like that.
I agree, and is unfortunate for the players. Granted they could be made better if the programs had more money.
When comparing the baseball field to the basketball gym and football field at Clay it is shameful.
Corbin and Whitley probably have the nicest two fields with Knox not to far behind, it is the newest.

The 13th region has always had some horrible baseball fields, i remember seeing OBI's field one year and it was just dreadful. lol one of the players said there was a cow patty in the outfield, but i can understand OBi's situation, however i dont understand why Clay's field is so bad.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Corbin and Whitley probably have the nicest two fields with Knox not to far behind, it is the newest.

The 13th region has always had some horrible baseball fields, i remember seeing OBI's field one year and it was just dreadful. lol one of the players said there was a cow patty in the outfield, but i can understand OBi's situation, however i dont understand why Clay's field is so bad.

I would have to say Whitley and SL have the two nicest. Followed by Corbin, Knox, then NL.
^
Yea i forgot about Souths.
I believe Whitleys all around campus is just about nicer than any others. The surroundings, not just the field make it look really nice and clean.
Corbin has a great field, but there just isnt much to look at around there.
clays field is fine,bathrooms,concession,and parking is terrible
sling blade Wrote:clays field is fine,bathrooms,concession,and parking is terrible

Probly the first time ive ever heard someone say something positive about that field.
the dark wizard Wrote:Probly the first time ive ever heard someone say something positive about that field.
The playing surface is fine, but there is much more to a facility than just the field. The lights are the big problem. They are awful.
i agree that whitley,knox, north or south laurels fields and facilities are better than clays and alot others.Middlesboros outfield last year was terrible.Clays infield is smooth and the outfield is ok.Alot of work will be done to the field before the region tourney.
Hit and Run Wrote:The playing surface is fine, but there is much more to a facility than just the field. The lights are the big problem. They are awful.

I could have my fields mixed up, but doesnt Clay have "dandy lions" in the outfield? If this is the field im thinking of that doesnt make for a good playing surface.
the dark wizard Wrote:I could have my fields mixed up, but doesnt Clay have "dandy lions" in the outfield? If this is the field im thinking of that doesnt make for a good playing surface.

Yeah, 2 years ago. Lol. They've done a lot of work on the stuff that they can fix. The grass, the infield dirt, etc. The stuff they can't control is what hurts them. The field belonging to the city and not the school restricts what they can do also.
foley war Wrote:clay co. toughest game to state was with jackson co. in opening of district clay won 4-1 but close well pitched game by duncan.hardest challenge clay had till state so dont count jackson co. out they return everyone and pick up transfer from arkansaa and really good freshman
Very impressed with Jackson County Assistant coach Joey Neeley. He is an excellant teacher of the art of stealing bases. I heard he holds the Jackson County record in that category. Absolute blinding speed in his day!!!!!
woozle Wrote:Very impressed with Jackson County Assistant coach Joey Neeley. He is an excellant teacher of the art of stealing bases. I heard he holds the Jackson County record in that category. Absolute blinding speed in his day!!!!!
I went to school with him. The only record he holds is stuffing the most hot dogs down his throat at lunch.
you forgot the chili
Great job, Clay
Clay's biggest problem is parking, followed by dugouts and concession...field is fine
Harlan County will be very good this year!
zone buster Wrote:Harlan County will be very good this year!

I dont know alot about that area but the best I remember which is probably wrong is that they would be a 4-6 team in the region. Why you think they will VERY good this year? Just curious on what all they lost/returned yah know.
harlan co was 8-8 in region and only lost 5 seniors i believe
the light wizard Wrote:harlan co was 8-8 in region and only lost 5 seniors i believe
Harlan County had 3 seniors on their roster at season's end. With 2 of them being starters--Second Baseman Blayne Rutherford(Berea College) and Outfielder Robbie Halcomb. Harlan County WILL be a handful this year.
HC brings back a lot and will have a great team. That being said, I still don't see them beating Middlesboro. Middlesboro has a great offense coming back and returns the top coach in the region who will have his pitchers ready to go again.

Don't forget they return Michael Wilson, a sophomore lefty, who last year, threw a two-hitter against Clay County at Clay. He will be one of the top pitchers in the region this year.