Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th region
sling blade Wrote:i agree that whitley,knox, north or south laurels fields and facilities are better than clays and alot others.Middlesboros outfield last year was terrible.Clays infield is smooth and the outfield is ok.Alot of work will be done to the field before the region tourney.

Clay County's facilities are terrible. The lights don't meet regulation for the regional tournament, the dugouts are more fitting for a little league softball game, and instead of a clay mix on the infield skin, it is a big sand box.
redstorm Wrote:The Regional Tournament is at Clay and Clay will be the favorite. I see clay winning the 13th. I am not a clay fan, but give Smith credit, he won the region in his first year as a coach and looks to win his second.

Unless their lights are done by April 1, they will not have a chance to host region. They don't meet regulations.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Unless their lights are done by April 1, they will not have a chance to host region. They don't meet regulations.

Im pretty sure they have lights..
the light wizard Wrote:Im pretty sure they have lights..

They do have lights but they do not meet the specifications necessary to host a regional tournament.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:HC brings back a lot and will have a great team. That being said, I still don't see them beating Middlesboro. Middlesboro has a great offense coming back and returns the top coach in the region who will have his pitchers ready to go again.

Don't forget they return Michael Wilson, a sophomore lefty, who last year, threw a two-hitter against Clay County at Clay. He will be one of the top pitchers in the region this year.
A 2 hitter? What are you on man? Clay beat them 6-2 if I remember correctly. Clay scored 22 runs in 2 games aganist M-Boro, and M-Boro lost their top two pitchers. Wilson kept them off balance early because he can't break glass, but once they seen it and got more patient in the box they rocked him. The lights are a non factor. It's a done deal, they might not be up by April 1st, but it's already cleared and they'll be up before the regional tournament. M-Boro is as good as Epperson will allow them to be. If he worked on his stuff on the hill, and hits it as good as he did last year they will be competitive. If not, it'll be a long year for the Jackets!
Hit and Run Wrote:A 2 hitter? What are you on man? Clay beat them 6-2 if I remember correctly. Clay scored 22 runs in 2 games aganist M-Boro, and M-Boro lost their top two pitchers. Wilson kept them off balance early because he can't break glass, but once they seen it and got more patient in the box they rocked him. The lights are a non factor. It's a done deal, they might not be up by April 1st, but it's already cleared and they'll be up before the regional tournament. M-Boro is as good as Epperson will allow them to be. If he worked on his stuff on the hill, and hits it as good as he did last year they will be competitive. If not, it'll be a long year for the Jackets!

Sorry Hit and Run. MHS not only keeps thorough statistics but accesible ones as well. If you click on the link below, you will go to Michael Wilson's stats for last year. If you scroll down the page, you will find his game-by-game stats.

He did not go a complete game but he did pitch 4 2/3 innings against Clay County on 5/6 and gave up 1 hit, a single, while striking out 5 batters. I wouldn't exactly call that "rocking" him.

Clay County may have scored 22 runs but in two games, they had 16 hits against MHS, compared to MHS having 21 hits against Clay County. As I mentioned on another thread, Middlesboro is loaded with hitters this year. As good as Epperson was at the plate last year, they also return Womack who had even more success at the plate last year, including multi-hit games at Knox (vs. King), South (vs. Adams), Harlan Co (Boggs), and Clay (Griffin). He batted .396 last year as a junior.

I am 100% confident that had Wilson been present for the regional semifinal game last spring, Middlesboro would have beaten Clay. He was invited to a very prestigous golf camp and being a very serious golfer, it was an opportunity he could not pass up. Wilson at region= none of this preseason hoopla surrounding Clay County.

http://www.allprosoftware.net/Middlesbor...ayer21.htm -Michael Wilson Pitching stats
http://www.allprosoftware.net/Middlesbor...ayer14.htm -Evan Womack hitting stats
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:HC brings back a lot and will have a great team. That being said, I still don't see them beating Middlesboro. Middlesboro has a great offense coming back and returns the top coach in the region who will have his pitchers ready to go again.

Don't forget they return Michael Wilson, a sophomore lefty, who last year, threw a two-hitter against Clay County at Clay. He will be one of the top pitchers in the region this year.
Clay Still beat them 6-2
That they did. I would imagine that the 4 errors that night had something to do with it. I'm very eager to see these two teams play this year.
i think that barbourville will have a good team next year and could really compete in region, they only lost one player from last year.
What are you smoking? did barbourville win any games last year other than red bird, OBI, or jackson city? It doesnt matter if a team that is no good doesnt lose anybody. It just means that they still suck.:flush::HitWall:
barbourville didn't even play red bird obi or Jackson city, they gave clay co. a better run in the region tournament then any team did, they had the game tied at 6 in the 5th inning and a couple of errors got to the teams heads, and they had some really good wins last year against tough teams
tiger baseball Wrote:barbourville didn't even play red bird obi or Jackson city, they gave clay co. a better run in the region tournament then any team did, they had the game tied at 6 in the 5th inning and a couple of errors got to the teams heads, and they had some really good wins last year against tough teams

Wrong. Middlesboro was beating them in the 6th inning of the semifinals...but you probably didn't see that game. Confusedhh:
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Wrong. Middlesboro was beating them in the 6th inning of the semifinals...but you probably didn't see that game. Confusedhh:

Technically Clay beat both teams by 5 runs, so that would mean they put up virtually similar fights with them?
tiger baseball Wrote:barbourville didn't even play red bird obi or Jackson city, they gave clay co. a better run in the region tournament then any team did, they had the game tied at 6 in the 5th inning and a couple of errors got to the teams heads, and they had some really good wins last year against tough teams

please tell me what "good teams" barbourville managed to beat this year. I know they lost to a very talented berea team this year already:puking:
the dark wizard Wrote:Technically Clay beat both teams by 5 runs, so that would mean they put up virtually similar fights with them?

No, I wouldn't think so considering Middlesboro was actually leading late in the game and Clay had to overcome a deficit as opposed to their game with Barbourville.
they beat a talented jackson co. team and they beat whitley and bell, and there was even a clay player told one of my family members that we gave clay the toughest game in region.
tiger baseball Wrote:they beat a talented jackson co. team and they beat whitley and bell, and there was even a clay player told one of my family members that we gave clay the toughest game in region.

Lol. Whatever you say. In regards to this year, it isn't even close. Barbourville lost to an unbelievably bad Bell County team. Theire only wins are against regional bottom feeders Lynn Camp and Harlan.

And honest question, do you really think Barbourville has enough depth in their rotation to win 3 straight games in 3 days against quality opponents? If not, which I would imagine your response to be, then they are not a contender. I can't wait to see them play Middlesboro in the regional All "A" championship, if they make there.
You are really downing Clay's facilities??? Middlesboro's field and facilities are a dump. Everyone knows Clay's has poor facilities, but someone from Middlesboro has no right to talk. Maybe Whitley or Laurel county schools, but Middlesboro, really!!!!!!!
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Clay County's facilities are terrible. The lights don't meet regulation for the regional tournament, the dugouts are more fitting for a little league softball game, and instead of a clay mix on the infield skin, it is a big sand box.

Above post was in response to this idiotic statement.
jed Wrote:You are really downing Clay's facilities??? Middlesboro's field and facilities are a dump. Everyone knows Clay's has poor facilities, but someone from Middlesboro has no right to talk. Maybe Whitley or Laurel county schools, but Middlesboro, really!!!!!!!

No doubt, Middlesboro's school system doesn't support them enough. However, at least they care enough about the sport to build them a field. It must be terrible for Clay County players to not even have their own field, seeing as though it is a city field. Heck, up to about 10 years ago, they didn't even have a grass infield.

Have you been to Middlesboro's field this season? Probably not, which means you haven't even seen the place since they put down all new grass or added indoor batting cages. Also, their players have their own 600 square foot locker room and two outdoor batting cages as well. Clay has none of these, nor does anyone else in the region besides Whitley, Corbin, or South Laurel.

Not to mention their dugouts dwarf most dugouts in the region, especially Clay, and they have a brick backstop. How many other teams in the region have a brick backstop? You can count them on one hand.

How many other schools have a field tarp like Middlesboro?

Not only is Middlesboro's field way better than Clay's sandbox, but it is above average in our region.
Actually clay has both an indoor facility and also an out door batting cage. I really see no reason to be bragging about a lockerroom,tarps, or fields. because in the end clay is still better than mhs
jsa Wrote:Actually clay has both an indoor facility and also an out door batting cage. I really see no reason to be bragging about a lockerroom,tarps, or fields. because in the end clay is still better than mhs

Better team or better field?
Clay has pushed their right field fence back 15 feet. The dugouts are going to be extended 5 feet. The lights are in the process of being fixed. The field is very smooth, it's just not very asthetically pleasing. I have also heard rumors that they are getting a new scoreboard. Between the white lines Clay does have a very good baseball field.
jsa Wrote:Actually clay has both an indoor facility and also an out door batting cage. I really see no reason to be bragging about a lockerroom,tarps, or fields. because in the end clay is still better than mhs

You call that thing out by the field a cage? haha. I suppose it could be used for that, although it looks better suited for dog. And your saying their baseball team has their own facility? I'd love to know where that is at.

Middlesboro has won 13 regional championships and appeared in 6 Final Fours. You may have won region last year, but Clay will never be better than Middlesboro.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:No doubt, Middlesboro's school system doesn't support them enough. However, at least they care enough about the sport to build them a field. It must be terrible for Clay County players to not even have their own field, seeing as though it is a city field. Heck, up to about 10 years ago, they didn't even have a grass infield.

Have you been to Middlesboro's field this season? Probably not, which means you haven't even seen the place since they put down all new grass or added indoor batting cages. Also, their players have their own 600 square foot locker room and two outdoor batting cages as well. Clay has none of these, nor does anyone else in the region besides Whitley, Corbin, or South Laurel.

Not to mention their dugouts dwarf most dugouts in the region, especially Clay, and they have a brick backstop. How many other teams in the region have a brick backstop? You can count them on one hand.

How many other schools have a field tarp like Middlesboro?

Not only is Middlesboro's field way better than Clay's sandbox, but it is above average in our region.

Clay has an indoor facility with two cages, turf and big enough to take ground balls, condition or whatever else they need to do They also have an outdoor cage. They also have two iron mike pitching machines. While I will admit that the school board does not put enough money into it, the field itself is in good shape.

No, I have not been to Middlesboro this year, I am basing my opinion on the terrible conditions there at the regional tourney last year. The ditch behind shortstop is the reason Travis Smith of Corbin is not playing baseball anymore.

And in the end it ultimately does not matter about the field, it matters about the teams. I am sure Coach Smith would play you in a cow pasture if needed.

By the way, Middlesboro's football facilities are also the worst in this area other than maybe Perry Central.
Clay has a very nice indoor facility on campus. Their batting cage at the field isn't in bad shape. The one you were refering to about being suited for a dog is no longer there. It was removed earlier this year. I agree with jed, that ditch behind shortstop last year was insane. The only thing Middlesboro has on Clay's field is a brick backstop, but you add to it that M-Boro is 290 to the left field pole and they have those dreadful bubble bags then I'd call it even.
jed Wrote:Clay has an indoor facility with two cages, turf and big enough to take ground balls, condition or whatever else they need to do They also have an outdoor cage. They also have two iron mike pitching machines. While I will admit that the school board does not put enough money into it, the field itself is in good shape.

No, I have not been to Middlesboro this year, I am basing my opinion on the terrible conditions there at the regional tourney last year. The ditch behind shortstop is the reason Travis Smith of Corbin is not playing baseball anymore.

And in the end it ultimately does not matter about the field, it matters about the teams. I am sure Coach Smith would play you in a cow pasture if needed.

By the way, Middlesboro's football facilities are also the worst in this area other than maybe Perry Central.

I like how you averted the 14 regional championships and 6 final fours. I guess its just a testiment to the players and coaches that they can be so dominant in such horrible conditions.

It's funny how I've never heard of anyone ever getting hurt in that drainage area behind SS. Not ever.

And for Hit and Run, it's ironic you talk about the distance to left field...it measured as being deeper that Clay's when they did the inspection last summer. And Middlesboro's dugouts aren't a leg up on Clay's? And their lights? And their infield?
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:I like how you averted the 14 regional championships and 6 final fours. I guess its just a testiment to the players and coaches that they can be so dominant in such horrible conditions.

It's funny how I've never heard of anyone ever getting hurt in that drainage area behind SS. Not ever.

And for Hit and Run, it's ironic you talk about the distance to left field...it measured as being deeper that Clay's when they did the inspection last summer. And Middlesboro's dugouts aren't a leg up on Clay's? And their lights? And their infield?

Living in the past , like a lot of us Clay County Basketball fans. Try to live in the present.

You obviously were not at the Corbin game when Travis Smith went back after a fly ball and stepped into it and his knee buckled putting him out of the game and into therapy for a few weeks . Clay's left fielder also stepped into it coming in after a flyball causing a knee strain although he continued to play.

As for the left field fence, is that why it looked like a homerun derby during the region last year. It seemed that every fly ball ended up as a homerun in left field.
Guys you can argue field conditions and facilities all you want, ultimately it comes down to how the teams play. Overall I would say Clay has the upper hand on everybody in the 13th this year. Last year and the last 50 years are irrelevant. Clay has done alot of work to their field and surrounding. Lights have been worked on and upgraded to meet specs and they will be the host team this year. Let's let the players and coaches decide who is the best.
I remember Thomas Epperson hitting two to center field and Timmy Helton hitting one bomb to right. I do not remember any homeruns to left, nor do I remember Clay County hitting any in their game against Middlesboro.

And seriously, a sprained knew happens in every sport. People tear their ACLs in basketball all the time, does that mean anything was wrong with the floor? Of course not. And therapy for a couple of weeks? Really? Surely you're not thinking that is a serious injury right?