Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Is The Best Player To Come From Your School?
Michael Whillouby; Owsley County- Next year:theman::beerwez:
Johnnie LeMaster
"Pupaw" Wrote:Johnnie LeMaster
Oh!... i forgot about Lemaster...Thanks Pupaw.. he was awesome too!..alot of good players comee from the mountains.. good luck to upcoming great athletes!
I really dont think so! I think owsley will be ok but there still a young team. you have to think about that.Bowling thinks he good when hits one out and he get that eye for that fence. He shouldnt do that.Smith on the other hand i hope he dose good this year best of luck.
"#1_superstar" Wrote:this year thay will be alot of good plays that will come from owsley
Johnnie LeMaster-#6 Overall pick in the draft by SF Giants. Wasn't great with his stick in the pro's but his glove was outstanding. I talked to him the other day and he told me that he was runner-up for a Gold Glove 3 different years, to only be beaten out by Ozzie Smith and Dave Conception. Not too bad for a boy from a town of 4,000 if that.

David LeMaster-outstanding catcher, very quick feet and had a cannon. Back in high school he told me one day in Geometry class that pro scouts hounded the ball park and every time they did he told him that he had planned on going to college, then most of the time they got up and left. Went to Clemson and played in the World Series, not sure what kind of injury it was that he had to keep him out of the pro's but if that had not happend, sky was the limit.

Tootsie Mullins-drafted by the Tigers, and was injured in spring training, at least that is what I think Macy told me. And that was about the end of his pro career.

Thom Deskins-played for the Cubs minor league system, got upset because he wasn't moved up as quick as what he had wanted, and hung them up. When he did, I believe he was one class down from "The Show."

Craig Ratliff-Threw smoke, drafted by the Orioles and played several seasons in their organization. Played in Cuba when the O's were one of the first MLB teams to play there in front of Castro.

Bill Mike Runyon-Holds numerous school records. Played ball at Pikeville College, had a lifetime BA of .389, inducted into their Athletic Hall of Fame.

And the list goes on for Paintsville.
Lemaster was a bright spot for our entire area while being a part of the Giants. I also believe that he was one of the few players that hit a homerun in his first ML at bat.
"Wyatt Earp" Wrote:Lemaster was a bright spot for our entire area while being a part of the Giants. I also believe that he was one of the few players that hit a homerun in his first ML at bat.
At the time he was only the second to hit an inside-the-parker, in their first MLB at bat!
Derek case or brandon kidd
Willie Blair from Johnson Central High School class of 1983
Tyler Mitchell is a good baseball player if he can just keep his head in the game!!
One of the best players from SFHS IMO is Byron Hall
"sfhs_raiders" Wrote:Tyler Mitchell is a good baseball player if he can just keep his head in the game!!
Tyler mitchell....NO WAY!!!
Most successful from Paintsville would be Johnnie Lemaster or Willie Blair. Gotta keep in mind Tommie Deskins, Brad Tiller and Craig Ratliff all got a shot in the minors. There are probably more that had an opportunity but didn't take it like Tucker Howard or Greg Sloan. Didn't Charlie Atkins have a shot and I believe Rick Preston had a tryout in the 70's. Hell even Walt Crace has to be mentioned as one of the best to ever throw in Johnson County. What about the Lemaster fellow from JC, sorry forgot his name, but his son is one heck of a player now. Oh, almost forgot about Heath Castle. Stil firing away in the Yankees system. Alot of names out there for one county. Great baseball going on in the mountains!!!

Dang if I didn't forget about Tootsie. Had to edit this post to include him. What a nut and I mean that in the best way.
Brad Tiller -- SC
Brad Tiller from SC...........
"Matney's Prodigey" Wrote:From Sheldon Clark it was a no brainer. Brad Tiller hands down

What about Jimmy Goble ?
What about Mike Collins? Did he go to JCHS or somewhere else. I know he caught in the minors for awhile and caught Nolan Ryan in spring training. He said that he was glad Ryan had control because he didn't have time to move his hand to catch it, if it wasn't right at him. Someone mentioned all the accomplishments of the players from Paintsville. They left out Tucker Howard who is the record holder for BA in a season at Louisville(I think).
"08_#14" Wrote:What about Jimmy Goble ?

I would say Tiller was better than anyone at SC. Goble was an oustanding player but Tiller has the edge on everyone there.
"08_#14" Wrote:What about Jimmy Goble ?

Jimmy Goble is probably in the top 10 or 15 to play for Sheldon Clark. But, there is a big gap between Brad Tiller and the rest of the top 10.
Brad Tiller is the best player I ever had the chance to watch play at Sheldon Clark. He was a great athlete and an outstanding talent. Quick as a cat.
mike hall jc outstanding pitcher
You have to throw Dave Wheelers name in there from Lawrence Co. there were several other but I cant remember right now.
Coach Adkins I believed played at Oil Springs, he was in the minors as a pitcher and was caught by Johnnie Bench, and teammates with several of the players on the Big Red Machine.
Harry Meek was another good player at Johnson Central.  He was a 4 year starter in the infield for Louisville.  I think he hit .400 his senior year at U of L.
Pikeville has had several good players the past couple of years, its hard to just pick one.

Here is a link to their record book for baseball.
http://www.pikevillesports.com/baseball/records.php
justin slone from sf
Brad Tiller is head and shoulders above the rest of the players from SC.