Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girl Head Coaching change at Allen Central
Luke The Drifter Wrote:Jamin J, I usually respect your opinions, but if you think Johnny Martin's job hasn't been in danger in the past 5 or 6 years and that it still isn't then give him a call and ask him what he thinks. As for the administration at AC making sound decisions ----- I don't think so!

Johnny's still coaching right? He's dodged bullets in the past and has more lives than a cat. He's so used to coaching through "danger" that I don't think it's that big of a deal for him. If I'm not mistaken, Johnny isn't teaching at AC this year and STILL was able to keep his job as head coach. Johnny is a homebound teacher for the county this year. And the only way he was able to keep his coaching position was if the administration gave him the OK. They did, so where's the current danger? Any person coaching a school expected to win like Allen Central, should have pressure every year to win - it just goes along with the territory.

I'm sorry you disagree, but I think the administration made a sound choice by bring Mark back. His record from his past stint at AC speaks for itself and the girls want to play for him. As for not coaching in Pike County, he's an Allen Central alumnus and chooses to coach at Allen Central. If I'm not mistaken, he's had chances to coach at other schools and has turned those down!

I don't know why Jennifer resigned as coach. I could speculate and probably be right on the money, but I won't because I respect her and her decisions. The only thing I will say is that I don't think she was "tired" of it.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Johnny's still coaching right? He's dodged bullets in the past and has more lives than a cat. He's so used to coaching through "danger" that I don't think it's that big of a deal for him. If I'm not mistaken, Johnny isn't teaching at AC this year and STILL was able to keep his job as head coach. Johnny is a homebound teacher for the county this year. And the only way he was able to keep his coaching position was if the administration gave him the OK. They did, so where's the current danger? Any person coaching a school expected to win like Allen Central, should have pressure every year to win - it just goes along with the territory.

I'm sorry you disagree, but I think the administration made a sound choice by bring Mark back. His record from his past stint at AC speaks for itself and the girls want to play for him. As for not coaching in Pike County, he's an Allen Central alumnus and chooses to coach at Allen Central. If I'm not mistaken, he's had chances to coach at other schools and has turned those down!

I don't know why Jennifer resigned as coach. I could speculate and probably be right on the money, but I won't because I respect her and her decisions. The only thing I will say is that I don't she was "tired" of it.

As for Jennifer I have no idea why she left, but I wish her the best.

Johnny was on the SBDM last year when the coaching job for this year was decided, and that certainly helped him keep his job! (Which he deserved to keep anyway) and there is nothing the administration would like better than to get rid of him as coach. Anyone who lives on right beaver and doesn't know that has been living under a rock! They've been trying to make life hard on him for years now by taking other positions (like track coach, and athletic director) away from him, which in turn cut his pay, in an attempt to force him out --- I'd certainly call that danger!

Mark seems to be a decent person and a decent coach. I just think there are others more deserving -- he had a chance and blew it! What about those have worked hard for years on end and don't even get considered for the job. Like for example, Ronnie Patton who has coached for 25 plus years in the county and is beloved by nearly everyone on right beaver except the administration at AC. I don't think bringing Mark back was a sound decision at all, or a fair one. As for choices, I think it was more the administration chosing him! And again I respect your opinion but I simply don't beleive that Mark has turned down other High School coaching jobs in Pike Co. without a teaching position in Pike Co.! If so where?

I'll ask this again "How many boys or girls head high school basketball coaches are there in Floyd Co. without a teaching position?" The answer is "0". In fact, and I could be wrong, but I don't know if there has ever been a boys or girls high school head basketball coach in Floyd Co. that did not have a teaching position! I find that strange!
Luke The Drifter Wrote:I'll ask this again "How many boys or girls head high school basketball coaches are there in Floyd Co. without a teaching position?" The answer is "0". In fact, and I could be wrong, but I don't know if there has ever been a boys or girls high school head basketball coach in Floyd Co. that did not have a teaching position! I find that strange!

You're right about that. There are zero head coaches in Girls/Boys BB that are head coaches in Floyd County. Yes, Mark isn't "officially" the head coach and they are holding the job for him so to speak by having Col. Maynard in the interim. Col. Maynard will be the head coach this year in listing with Mark as his assistant officially no matter what.

But cut the guy some slack here. He volunteered his time to work with the girls this summer under Col.'s supervision and he has become a certified teacher, when a job opens he's going to get it. He was a winner the first time he was here and he's getting a second chance. The girls want to play for him and there seems to be a little bit of exciting surrounding the team. Is Mark the first person to ever become hired as a teacher not be fully certified in his field of study in the Floyd County School System? I'd say not. And because he wasn't in allotted time, he lost his job, went back to work and received his certification. I don't see anything wrong with that because he's qualified for the job. And I believe he considered the job at East Ridge while still at Allen Central and then backed out.

Ronnie Patton as head girls basketball coach? It's already been posted here his troubles with the administration in the past and it's duly noted. Wasn't he was girls head coach at South Floyd High some years ago with no results? The Allen Central girls job is similar because it's a rebuilding project. That in itself doesn't make him qualified - just my opinion respectfully and nothing personal. It wouldn't be a good mix to have him there considering past feelings so I think it's best to let it go.

We agree to disagree for the most part. Although I will agree with you about Johnny and what he's dealt with in the past. I disagreed with the administration's push to show him the door a couple of seasons ago. I even gave him free air time over the radio to voice his opinion on the subject so he could let the people know what was going on at the time. The school made the right decision to keep him once cooler heads prevailed. The job is his to leave now wouldn't you agree?
jammin' jamey Wrote:You're right about that. There are zero head coaches in Girls/Boys BB that are head coaches in Floyd County. Yes, Mark isn't "officially" the head coach and they are holding the job for him so to speak by having Col. Maynard in the interim. Col. Maynard will be the head coach this year in listing with Mark as his assistant officially no matter what.

But cut the guy some slack here. He volunteered his time to work with the girls this summer under Col.'s supervision and he has become a certified teacher, when a job opens he's going to get it. He was a winner the first time he was here and he's getting a second chance. The girls want to play for him and there seems to be a little bit of exciting surrounding the team. Is Mark the first person to ever become hired as a teacher not be fully certified in his field of study in the Floyd County School System? I'd say not. And because he wasn't in allotted time, he lost his job, went back to work and received his certification. I don't see anything wrong with that because he's qualified for the job. And I believe he considered the job at East Ridge while still at Allen Central and then backed out.

Ronnie Patton as head girls basketball coach? It's already been posted here his troubles with the administration in the past and it's duly noted. Wasn't he was girls head coach at South Floyd High some years ago with no results? The Allen Central girls job is similar because it's a rebuilding project. That in itself doesn't make him qualified - just my opinion respectfully and nothing personal. It wouldn't be a good mix to have him there considering past feelings so I think it's best to let it go.

We agree to disagree for the most part. Although I will agree with you about Johnny and what he's dealt with in the past. I disagreed with the administration's push to show him the door a couple of seasons ago. I even gave him free air time over the radio to voice his opinion on the subject so he could let the people know what was going on at the time. The school made the right decision to keep him once cooler heads prevailed. The job is his to leave now wouldn't you agree?

I'd like to see the administration at AC cut a few people some slack! They are the ones who deserve it!! So JJ, if I'm reading your posts right you have agreed I was right about the way the administration has treated Johnny Martin over the years. And you agreed their was a conspiricy to get rid of Ronnied Patton has baseball coach involving SBDM member's and her spouse. along with the Administration. You seem to be pretty honest so why then would this not look like another misuse of the administrations powers.

If the job would have been a true coaching opening and based on merrit the administration at AC should have made at least 5 to 6 phone calls to other people offering them the job before even considering Mark. The job was not based on merrit. How many other people did the school contact before hiring Mark? I don't know but I'll bet the answer is "o" It was always his job from the moment Jennifer resigned.

there at least 5 or 6 other people within the right beaver schools who deserve the job much much more than Mark. People that have put years of their lives into teaching and coaching. People who never had to have a second chance. Wouldn't someone in power think they would deserve some consideration when the job came open. And now (if I read your post right) they are holding a teaching position for him too. What kind of message does that send to people who have done it the right way, worked hard, volunteered time, and put their heart and soul into their teams. It sends a message that you don't count, it doesn't matter what you do your not going to the job if we don't want you to have it. that the administration at AC doesn't care!

Several people has pointed out Mark has volunteer his time this summer. Witch is probablly true. But Mark is not a trend setter here! all good coaches do that. He not a pioneer in summer practice. IN fact most coaches do that. So lets commend him for doing what most other coaches do.

Bottom line is this we wouldn't be have this conversation if the Administration at AC had been making sound decisions to begin with. Hopefully the new superintentent will see that people are treated fairly and jobs are awarded on merrit. Because I don't feel this one was!
Luke The Drifter Wrote:I'd like to see the administration at AC cut a few people some slack! They are the ones who deserve it!! So JJ, if I'm reading your posts right you have agreed I was right about the way the administration has treated Johnny Martin over the years. And you agreed their was a conspiricy to get rid of Ronnied Patton has baseball coach involving SBDM member's and her spouse. along with the Administration. You seem to be pretty honest so why then would this not look like another misuse of the administrations powers.

If the job would have been a true coaching opening and based on merrit the administration at AC should have made at least 5 to 6 phone calls to other people offering them the job before even considering Mark. The job was not based on merrit. How many other people did the school contact before hiring Mark? I don't know but I'll bet the answer is "o" It was always his job from the moment Jennifer resigned.

there at least 5 or 6 other people within the right beaver schools who deserve the job much much more than Mark. People that have put years of their lives into teaching and coaching. People who never had to have a second chance. Wouldn't someone in power think they would deserve some consideration when the job came open. And now (if I read your post right) they are holding a teaching position for him too. What kind of message does that send to people who have done it the right way, worked hard, volunteered time, and put their heart and soul into their teams. It sends a message that you don't count, it doesn't matter what you do your not going to the job if we don't want you to have it. that the administration at AC doesn't care!

Several people has pointed out Mark has volunteer his time this summer. Witch is probablly true. But Mark is not a trend setter here! all good coaches do that. He not a pioneer in summer practice. IN fact most coaches do that. So lets commend him for doing what most other coaches do.

Bottom line is this we wouldn't be have this conversation if the Administration at AC had been making sound decisions to begin with. Hopefully the new superintentent will see that people are treated fairly and jobs are awarded on merrit. Because I don't feel this one was!

I agree with you about Johnny and how he's been treated in the past. But what I've been trying to point out and this is the last time I'm doing so is that he's a survivor and is still there and the pressure is off now. In my opinion, it's his to walk away from now and he's earned that.

I don't think it was a conspiracy to get rid of Ronnie Patton from the baseball position. He was told to do "something" from higher powers, didn't do it and consequences were put in motion. His successor wasn't on the job long thereafter and I might point out that the powers that be moved swiftly to go in a different direction by hiring Coach Johnson. That was a sound decision.

How many people would volunteer their time to coach summer ball without even being hired as a teacher? Not many. Most would want the position first - we're human, we want guarantees. Mark lived up to his end of the deal with the certification, the balls in the schools court to live to their end now. They obviously want him and I can't blame them. He has a real passion for the game and wants to succeed.

How many people applied for the job when Jennifer was hired? How many serious callbacks were given to candidates? I gather that you're a huge Ronnie Patton supporter. Shouldn't you be more upset that the school chose someone with zero coaching experience at any level to take the reigns instead of someone who's put their lives into teaching and coaching? The program is now back at square one and they are comfortable with Mark in position to build it back up again.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I agree with you about Johnny and how he's been treated in the past. But what I've been trying to point out and this is the last time I'm doing so is that he's a survivor and is still there and the pressure is off now. In my opinion, it's his to walk away from now and he's earned that.

I don't think it was a conspiracy to get rid of Ronnie Patton from the baseball position. He was told to do "something" from higher powers, didn't do it and consequences were put in motion. His successor wasn't on the job long thereafter and I might point out that the powers that be moved swiftly to go in a different direction by hiring Coach Johnson. That was a sound decision.

How many people would volunteer their time to coach summer ball without even being hired as a teacher? Not many. Most would want the position first - we're human, we want guarantees. Mark lived up to his end of the deal with the certification, the balls in the schools court to live to their end now. They obviously want him and I can't blame them. He has a real passion for the game and wants to succeed.

How many people applied for the job when Jennifer was hired? How many serious callbacks were given to candidates? I gather that you're a huge Ronnie Patton supporter. Shouldn't you be more upset that the school chose someone with zero coaching experience at any level to take the reigns instead of someone who's put their lives into teaching and coaching? The program is now back at square one and they are comfortable with Mark in position to build it back up again.

Again, I disagree about Johnny, now that he is a homebound teacher his job is in more danger than ever & the pressure is definately not off. His conflict with the administration is and will be a fight to the end. I'd even venture he would tell you that! Just the other day he was told he was not allowed back in the building at ACHS during school. Don't take my word for it --- ask around and see if I'm not telling you the truth. What kind of administration would do that to a coach that has devoted 25 plus years of his life to the program? I'll agree with one thing though Johnny is a survivor!

Ronnie Patton has told me on numerous occasions the only reason he was given for the firing by the administration was a parent complaint. I've even seen the email that was sent to him. This is why I think the "higher powers" need to hold the administration at AC acountable. Johnson was a sound decision, but look what had to happen for them to make it --- first, they had to fire the coach who just days before won the 1st ever regional title for the school! and I still say it was for no good reason! then they hired a SBDM's husband and later let him go. 2 wrongs don't make a right!

Now they've hired someone who doesn't have a teaching job for Girls basketball. And let me point out that Mark wasn't certified to teach to begin with (the 1st time he was hired), and was given time (2 years to be exact) to become certified in his feild before he was dismissed in the first place. So he did not hold up his end of the deal! Many other teachers in Floyd Co. have gone through this same process and to my knowledge Mark is the only one to have this problem.

No, I don't think they shold have hired someone with no coaching experience, but they should have hired someone who deserved the job! The job was not based on merrit! I'd say they didn't get any call backs for the job to tell the truth. No one wants to work for this administration at AC. Their reputation is known throughout the region. oh, I'd say very few would say it publically, but behind closed doors they are a joke! I've said once and I'll say it again. Hard work and dedication means nothing to the administration at AC.
Luke the Drifter, I for one am tired of reading your bashing of AC administration and mark. Enough is enough, you obviously don't know anything about basketball, you are just good friends and a fan of Ronnie Patton and bashing everybody on here is not doing anything. This is all over, get over it and let's move on.

As for Mark Martin is the best thing that has happend to Allen Central Girls Basketball since Bonita Compton left. Why can't you be happy for the girls basketball team, they wanted Mark to come back and coach, they want to play for him and he taught them alot during summer ball and open gym and if you talk to the students he had when he taught at allen central, they all said he was one of the best teachers they ever had, they learned alot and he loves the kids. Why don't you just leave him alone.

I wish the girls and coah Martin the best of luck and when you play at the expo in March we can say, we told you so.
Luke The Drifter Wrote:Now they've hired someone who doesn't have a teaching job for Girls basketball. And let me point out that Mark wasn't certified to teach to begin with (the 1st time he was hired), and was given time (2 years to be exact) to become certified in his feild before he was dismissed in the first place. So he did not hold up his end of the deal! Many other teachers in Floyd Co. have gone through this same process and to my knowledge Mark is the only one to have this problem.

I pointed that out 5 days ago in an earlier post. Respectfully, (again) we agree to disagree.

This thread has ran its course. We (myself included) have drifted far from the shore involving other AC topics. If anyone would like to discuss Mark Martin as the assitant and the head coaching situation in another thread without references to the past (Ronnie Patton in particular) feel free to start another thread.

Thanks for everyone's comments. But this thread is done.