Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 Bell County Bobcats Schedule
Bell has filled week 7 with Soddy Daisey out of Chattanooga. Coach Hilton confirmed this at the regional tournament this week.
William Muney Wrote:I still can't belive M'boro or Corbin will not play Bell. Jewell and Roark should be fired.

I hear South Laurel has an opening that would fit KR very well. By when can you get this done?:notworthy
Where's Belfry? I know Bell County has a hard enough schedule as it is, but I'd like to have a "mountain tournament" between Belfry, Johnson, and Bell county where they all face each other once a year to determine the true #1 of the mountains.
Is Soddy Daisey a home or away game for Bell Co?
Jackets08 Wrote:Is Soddy Daisey a home or away game for Bell Co?

It will be a home game in 09.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Where's Belfry? I know Bell County has a hard enough schedule as it is, but I'd like to have a "mountain tournament" between Belfry, Johnson, and Bell county where they all face each other once a year to determine the true #1 of the mountains.

The 3 teams playing each other would not necessarily prove who is no. 1 since they each could win one game.
Good Luck Bobcats Next Season!
Old School Wrote:The 3 teams playing each other would not necessarily prove who is no. 1 since they each could win one game.

I don't think so.
Glad to see that bell is going to make the trip to johnson central. this will put an end to all the talk about who would beat who if they were to play.
Good Luck Bell 9-1
Great schedule. The regular season will be worth watching this year.
Good Luck Bell Co. Bring home another state title to the mountains.
Sun Tzu Wrote:Great schedule. The regular season will be worth watching this year.

I agree will be a tough schedule next season good luck Bobcats.
who are they losing?
bell_co98 Wrote:who are they losing?

What are you talking about?
Hello from Alcoa. Looking forward to a great game on Friday and am looking forward to making the trip to Kentucky. I just want to say thanks to all for putting Alcoa on your schedule and hope that we all have a great, competitive game without injury to our student athletes. We would lost to host you in Alcoa if it works out that way......I hear you havea great team!
:Cheerlead
Yes, we as fans also can't wait untill Friday the way it looks on here is it's gonna be WWIII.. Wonder why??? It kinda cracks me up that some folks from Alcoa thinks Bell is Nothing!!! Why??? Bell County is by no means a weak team, we here in Bell County support these boys till the horn blows at the end, and trust me they will not lay down to any giving team.... WHY??? I mean the more I read on here the more I get :devilflam, cause these folks have NOT seen these boys play... I guess we all will see Friday.:1:
BobCatFan29 Wrote:It kinda cracks me up that some folks from Alcoa thinks Bell is Nothing!!! Why??? Bell County is by no means a weak team, we here in Bell County support these boys till the horn blows at the end, and trust me they will not lay down to any giving team.... WHY??? I mean the more I read on here the more I get :devilflam, cause these folks have NOT seen these boys play.

I am not affiliated with Alcoa, but my guess is that most of what you read is not so much a lack of respect for Bell County as it is supreme confidence Alcoa fans have in their own team. While regional cable providers have made it possible to see teams from other states from time to time, outside of coaches, no one really sees many other teams play, especially out-of-state teams, so fans have to go by paper results, third-party rating systems, etc.

While it has very little to do with this game, it is evident that Tennessee's elite programs (and while "elite" can be defined many different ways, in this case, I am referring to state titles) have fared very well against Kentucky programs - both strong and not-so-strong ones - over time. Going down that Tennessee list, most of those programs have not only winning records against Kentucky programs but also winning percentages well in excess of 70%.

But, as the saying goes, you can throw out the record books for this game.
Fiftyishfootballmom Wrote:Hello from Alcoa. Looking forward to a great game on Friday and am looking forward to making the trip to Kentucky. I just want to say thanks to all for putting Alcoa on your schedule and hope that we all have a great, competitive game without injury to our student athletes. We would lost to host you in Alcoa if it works out that way......I hear you havea great team!
:Cheerlead

Thanks for the greeting FBmom. We know the Alcoa game is going to prove as a measuring stick for our 09 season. We have a young but talented team that needs to be tested and surely will on Friday. Hope you have a safe trip here and back. Also hope we have a good game free of injury.
I think Alcoa will be the team win or lose shocked by the way this Bell Co. team will get after them.
grimsrud Wrote:I am not affiliated with Alcoa, but my guess is that most of what you read is not so much a lack of respect for Bell County as it is supreme confidence Alcoa fans have in their own team. While regional cable providers have made it possible to see teams from other states from time to time, outside of coaches, no one really sees many other teams play, especially out-of-state teams, so fans have to go by paper results, third-party rating systems, etc.

While it has very little to do with this game, it is evident that Tennessee's elite programs (and while "elite" can be defined many different ways, in this case, I am referring to state titles) have fared very well against Kentucky programs - both strong and not-so-strong ones - over time. Going down that Tennessee list, most of those programs have not only winning records against Kentucky programs but also winning percentages well in excess of 70%.

But, as the saying goes, you can throw out the record books for this game.

I'm not sure what you're getting at? You can't compare Ky/Tn high school football. Too many variables. For example, who's won the last few ky/tn all-star games?
Originally Posted by grimsrud
I am not affiliated with Alcoa, but my guess is that most of what you read is not so much a lack of respect for Bell County as it is supreme confidence Alcoa fans have in their own team. While regional cable providers have made it possible to see teams from other states from time to time, outside of coaches, no one really sees many other teams play, especially out-of-state teams, so fans have to go by paper results, third-party rating systems, etc.

But, as the saying goes, you can throw out the record books for this game. Ok, I see now... I'm just wondering what team here in KY is equal to Alcoa?? What level r these boys on then? Compare teams here to help me understand what these Tn teams have over Ky!!!!!!:Thumbs:
easyM Wrote:I'm not sure what you're getting at? You can't compare Ky/Tn high school football. Too many variables. For example, who's won the last few ky/tn all-star games?

What I am getting at (said another, more direct way)...

Bell County fans have not taken kindly to not only the Alcoa predictions of victory but also the margin of victory predicted. I was explaining that these predictions are not so much a show of disrespect towards BCHS as they are:

1) a show of confidence in their program, which, outside of Maryville, has run roughshod over pretty much every opponent in the last five years.

2) a reflection of their understanding of national power ratings (calpreps in particular) that, as flawed as they potentially can be, have shown that Alcoa has been the stronger of the two teams over the past half-decade.

3) an understanding that Tennessee programs, and the elite ones in particular, have had a significant winning percentage against Kentucky programs over time, both bad and good (and this is applicable to the current era, eras from 50s years ago - even the great Flaget teams struggled mightily against Oak Ridge, a national power in its own right at that time, and even eras almost 100 years ago - one Tennessee power laid 100 on Tilghman, a good program in its own right, in that era).

Note that I put the "throw out the record books" disclaimer at the end of my last post, which basically acknowledges what you said about comparing the two states. Actually, you can compare the two states, for what has actually occurred on the field head-to-head, but those comparisons aren't in play on the field Friday night. They are in play, however, in the mindset of Alcoa fans, and thus my explanation of why BCHS fans shouldn't see the predictions as disrespect.

As for the Kentucky-Tennessee all-star series, the tally is 15-9 in Tennessee's favor.
BobCatFan29 Wrote:Originally Posted by grimsrud
Ok, I see now... I'm just wondering what team here in KY is equal to Alcoa?? What level r these boys on then? Compare teams here to help me understand what these Tn teams have over Ky!!!!!!:Thumbs:

I don't know if there is one perfect comparison for Alcoa.

I wouldn't say Trinity or St. X - just too different a style of play, execution, and athletes.

Highlands would be closer, although not a perfect match either. Highlands is probably a closer match to Maryville than Alcoa, although Highlands has been a deeper producer of DI talent than Maryville.

T, X, and Highlands all have athletes, and Alcoa does as well, but I think T and X in particular probably get more out of their less talented athletes, which makes them as good as they are.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:How much coaching did Greer really do this year? From my seat in the bleachers and sometimes on the sideline all I saw him do was yell and scream mostly at O-lineman but not a lot of communication going on.

Greer is a master of breaking teams down on tape! and one of the best asst. coaches in the state. I am glad he is on my team!:dontthink
grimsrud Wrote:What I am getting at (said another, more direct way)...

Bell County fans have not taken kindly to not only the Alcoa predictions of victory but also the margin of victory predicted. I was explaining that these predictions are not so much a show of disrespect towards BCHS as they are:

1) a show of confidence in their program, which, outside of Maryville, has run roughshod over pretty much every opponent in the last five years.

2) a reflection of their understanding of national power ratings (calpreps in particular) that, as flawed as they potentially can be, have shown that Alcoa has been the stronger of the two teams over the past half-decade.

3) an understanding that Tennessee programs, and the elite ones in particular, have had a significant winning percentage against Kentucky programs over time, both bad and good (and this is applicable to the current era, eras from 50s years ago - even the great Flaget teams struggled mightily against Oak Ridge, a national power in its own right at that time, and even eras almost 100 years ago - one Tennessee power laid 100 on Tilghman, a good program in its own right, in that era).

Note that I put the "throw out the record books" disclaimer at the end of my last post, which basically acknowledges what you said about comparing the two states. Actually, you can compare the two states, for what has actually occurred on the field head-to-head, but those comparisons aren't in play on the field Friday night. They are in play, however, in the mindset of Alcoa fans, and thus my explanation of why BCHS fans shouldn't see the predictions as disrespect.

As for the Kentucky-Tennessee all-star series, the tally is 15-9 in Tennessee's favor.

It might be in 15-9 in favor ot tn. but what about the last few years? That's what I'm getting at. And, I'll be the first to say, all star games is not a fair acessment of the two states either. It's apples and oranges in any of these comparisons.
Brentwood Academy back in the 80's and 90's ran roughshot over many teams, instate and out. Paducah Tilghman beat them several years back. Paducah wasn't one of the stronger teams during that era but Brentwood was. Paducah didn't even make it very far that year in the playoffs. Still yet, it's not a game that you can use to measure the two states.
And Ft. Thomas, one of the folks from Alcoa said you couldn't put them in the same league with Maryville. That is definitely a crazy statement. Ft. Thomas is ranked nationally year in and year out. He wanted to argue that Maryville was has always been ranked over Ft. Thomas. He needs to do a little more research. Ft. Thomas is the real deal. I don't care who you are, 18 state championships puts you in an elite status. And, I won't even mention the Louisville schools. No way can you compare in a fair way. I know I couldn't justify making the statement ky was better than tn in high school football.
One more thing to look at. Look at your top players nationally (top 100). Ky has more listed than tn.
grimsrud Wrote:I don't know if there is one perfect comparison for Alcoa.

I wouldn't say Trinity or St. X - just too different a style of play, execution, and athletes.

Highlands would be closer, although not a perfect match either. Highlands is probably a closer match to Maryville than Alcoa, although Highlands has been a deeper producer of DI talent than Maryville.

T, X, and Highlands all have athletes, and Alcoa does as well, but I think T and X in particular probably get more out of their less talented athletes, which makes them as good as they are.

You think Ft. Thomas isn't in Alcoa's league? Wow.
Are you saying that Ft. Thomas would compete with Maryville but not Alcoa?
Do you know the history of Alcoa and Maryville. Maryville has handed Alcoa their --- *** for quite some time. What are you thinking?
grimsrud Wrote:I don't know if there is one perfect comparison for Alcoa.

I would safely compare Alcoa to Central or to some of the Bowling Green teams of the past (Late 90's,05,06,07). Good size and fast. Only difference Alcoa has more depth than either of those programs. I think when you compare states Tn. has few really dominate teams and a lot of really, really bad ones. Ky is more spread out although we have our share of weak sister's as well.
easyM Wrote:You think Ft. Thomas isn't in Alcoa's league? Wow.
Are you saying that Ft. Thomas would compete with Maryville but not Alcoa?
Do you know the history of Alcoa and Maryville. Maryville has handed Alcoa their --- *** for quite some time. What are you thinking?

I am not sure what you are thinking to be quite honest.

I never said Highlands was not in Alcoa's league. Show me where I did and I'll retract. Nor did I say anything about who Highlands could and could not compete with.

I was comparing STYLES of football, not QUALITY of football.

Yes, I am quite familiar with the recent scores of the Maryville-Alcoa series.

One significant similarity between Highlands and Maryville is that both have to answer the questions of "when are you going to play XYZ?" (T, X, MBA, MUS, etc.) within their respective states. One difference between the two schools is that Highlands has probably scheduled tougher in recent history, given some of its games with Ohio schools.

Disagree with my opinions if you want, but please don't put words in my mouth or insult my intelligence.
easyM Wrote:It might be in 15-9 in favor ot tn. but what about the last few years? That's what I'm getting at. And, I'll be the first to say, all star games is not a fair acessment of the two states either. It's apples and oranges in any of these comparisons.
Brentwood Academy back in the 80's and 90's ran roughshot over many teams, instate and out. Paducah Tilghman beat them several years back. Paducah wasn't one of the stronger teams during that era but Brentwood was. Paducah didn't even make it very far that year in the playoffs. Still yet, it's not a game that you can use to measure the two states.
And Ft. Thomas, one of the folks from Alcoa said you couldn't put them in the same league with Maryville. That is definitely a crazy statement. Ft. Thomas is ranked nationally year in and year out. He wanted to argue that Maryville was has always been ranked over Ft. Thomas. He needs to do a little more research. Ft. Thomas is the real deal. I don't care who you are, 18 state championships puts you in an elite status. And, I won't even mention the Louisville schools. No way can you compare in a fair way. I know I couldn't justify making the statement ky was better than tn in high school football.
One more thing to look at. Look at your top players nationally (top 100). Ky has more listed than tn.

Agreed on all-star games, but as it relates to those games and the Tilghman reference...you are isolating recent history on the all-star games; and you are highlighting one Tilghman win (I believe they have two over BA actually). Both are in contrast to overall results (Tennessee leads the all-star series; BA is 6-2 versus Tilghman all-time). I tend to look at the full picture over the history of time, not just isolated segments of time or a cherry-picked game out of a series of games. I'm not saying a multi-decade perspective is the be-all, end-all way of comparing the two states, but one can never be charged with having tunnel vision when every game, series, etc. is taken into consideration.

I mean, if we're going to cherry-pick some recent games as support, why not MBA-Trinity? It's recent. It was two home-and-homes. No players being rested or held out for college scholarship purposes. And no public/private debate applicable when comparing two privates.

Agreed on Highlands, too...while Maryville has had a nice run in the past decade (and actually has a good long history of football; #3 in all-time wins in Tenenssee) and has entered some national rankings, one has to wonder if those national rankings would have occurred along the way had the long winning streak (74 games in the end) not been occurring, but Highlands has had an even longer history of quality play, and, as I said earlier, has played a schedule over the years that has probably garnered it more national attention on a quality-of-opponent basis.

Not trying to be confrontational...just get a little irked when I see recent all-star game results invoked as "Well looky here" when, for the two decades leading up to the last half-decade of TN/KY all-star games, the results of the series were largely non-discussion material out of the Commonwealth. They either count all of the time or none of the time.