Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick Pitino stands alone
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:All im saying is when you look at the big picture, winning one championship in 30 or 40 years of coaching, IMHO, is horrible.
Take Tubby for example. He was given an oppertunity at some major schools and only has one, with players he didnt recruit. Thats just plain bad.

This isn't high school football where you only have to beat out 32 other teams. There are over 300 D-1 basketball teams. Since no single coach has managed to win more then 4 since the advent of the 64 team tourney I guess there are no truly good basketball coaches out there. Again, if there were a playoff where it took multiple wins to advance it would be different. But in a single elimination tourney it is an incredible accomplishment to win even 1 championship, let alone 2 or more.

And your declaration about baseball--that's just moronic. Have you ever tried to hit a 95 mph fastball? It's designed to be extremely difficult. Otherwise games would last days given that there is no game clock.
I think a discussion of Joe B hall would be interesting lets see if my big blue friends would take of there glasses on this one?
Adolph Rupp is the greatest coach the state of Kentucky will ever see. Nothing Calipari or Pitino could do will ever match it. He won seven national championships, and probably could have won a few more if invited.
Real Badman Wrote:Adolph Rupp is the greatest coach the state of Kentucky will ever see. Nothing Calipari or Pitino could do will ever match it. He won seven national championships, and probably could have won a few more if invited.

Rupp won 4 national titles. Hall, Pitino, Smith, and Calipari won the other 4 for UK.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Norm Peterson Wrote:This isn't high school football where you only have to beat out 32 other teams. There are over 300 D-1 basketball teams. Since no single coach has managed to win more then 4 since the advent of the 64 team tourney I guess there are no truly good basketball coaches out there. Again, if there were a playoff where it took multiple wins to advance it would be different. But in a single elimination tourney it is an incredible accomplishment to win even 1 championship, let alone 2 or more.

And your declaration about baseball--that's just moronic. Have you ever tried to hit a 95 mph fastball? It's designed to be extremely difficult. Otherwise games would last days given that there is no game clock.

Thanks for clearing that up. I totally thought there were only 32 other teams in college basketball.

No, i dont have to scratch my nuts enough and step out of the box four times to know im going to miss one though.
Baseball has become more and more boring.
Until there is some type of play clock established in baseball, i could never watch a full game.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thanks for clearing that up. I totally thought there were only 32 other teams in college basketball.

No, i dont have to scratch my nuts enough and step out of the box four times to know im going to miss one though.
Baseball has become more and more boring.
Until there is some type of play clock established in baseball, i could never watch a full game.

They've got a pitch clock in MLB. It isn't displayed but the umpires will warn the pitcher if they don't begin their pitch motion quickly enough. They also no longer allow the batters to step out of the box all the time. After being warned the umpire can assess a ball or a strike if the players don't comply. If it continues they can be ejected.

Are you just trying to be a contratian? Any coach that doesn't win 1-3 championships in NCAA basketball while at a powerhouse school is a failure? Anyone that can only hit .300 in baseball sucks? Really? You need to stick with football because you either don't know anything about basketball and baseball or don't want to learn. Of course, watching baseball is more of a thinking man's game--I can see why you wouldn't like it.
Norm Peterson Wrote:They've got a pitch clock in MLB. It isn't displayed but the umpires will warn the pitcher if they don't begin their pitch motion quickly enough. They also no longer allow the batters to step out of the box all the time. After being warned the umpire can assess a ball or a strike if the players don't comply. If it continues they can be ejected.

Are you just trying to be a contratian? Any coach that doesn't win 1-3 championships in NCAA basketball while at a powerhouse school is a failure? Anyone that can only hit .300 in baseball sucks? Really? You need to stick with football because you either don't know anything about basketball and baseball or don't want to learn. Of course, watching baseball is more of a thinking man's game--I can see why you wouldn't like it.

You always bite the hook :biglmao:
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I think a discussion of Joe B hall would be interesting lets see if my big blue friends would take of there glasses on this one?

Hall had an impossible job following Rupp. He was a good coach. Not the greatest but good. Had Bowie stayed healthy though he may have had one more championship.
^
Agreed.
FBALL Wrote:Hall had an impossible job following Rupp. He was a good coach. Not the greatest but good. Had Bowie stayed healthy though he may have had one more championship.

I agree 100%. I love coach hall and so for all he has done for our program. But alot if of people I expect would put him higher on the list than his career actually merits or would say he is a better coach than pitino.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:All im saying is when you look at the big picture, winning one championship in 30 or 40 years of coaching, IMHO, is horrible.
Take Tubby for example. He was given an oppertunity at some major schools and only has one, with players he didnt recruit. Thats just plain bad.

Some coaches are more successful than others. Tubby is a terrific coach. He just wasnt a Kentucky style coach. And when you look at the "big picture" as you call it. You have to take into consideration that there is almost 400 other school to compete against. Also in that "big picture" is the coaches who have won multiple championships. The list is slim, very slim! To put together a team at 2 different schools and compete and win a championship is very successful when you look at the "big picture." Also when looking at the "big picture" to be the only coach to lead 3 schools to a final 4 is successful too. I just cant see or understand your logic behind saying Wooden is the only successful coach in history.
theVILLE Wrote:Some coaches are more successful than others. Tubby is a terrific coach. He just wasnt a Kentucky style coach. And when you look at the "big picture" as you call it. You have to take into consideration that there is almost 400 other school to compete against. Also in that "big picture" is the coaches who have won multiple championships. The list is slim, very slim! To put together a team at 2 different schools and compete and win a championship is very successful when you look at the "big picture." Also when looking at the "big picture" to be the only coach to lead 3 schools to a final 4 is successful too. I just cant see or understand your logic behind saying Wooden is the only successful coach in history.

I know this lol.
It was called sarcasm.
theVILLE Wrote:As a coach I think this season right here puts him on a totally different level than Cal. I mean he has no lottery picks and Reall only one potential draft pick. Cal needs 5 first round draft picks to do what Coach P done this season. Now Cal is the best recruiter ever, one cant deny that. I still dont believe he does it legally but thats just my Opinion. Regardless the state of KY has 2 terrific programs. One way or another the state will have the title 3 years in a row. Can we get a 30for30 made for this???

First of all, there is a difference in freshmen lottery picks and senior lottery picks. Cal may have all the lottery picks, but they are still young, and it is tougher for freshmen to win it all, regardless of the talent. As for Cal doing it legally, I could argue that the coaches who have players stay for four years are the ones not doing it legally. How does he have to cheat? His track record speaks for itself. Play one year, two at the most, and go in the lottery. Seems to me that the schools that have really good players return must be paying them. I'm not a huge Cal fan, I am a UK fan, but you can't blame him for the Rose and Camby situations. The NCAA clearinghouse cleared Rose to play, then uncleared him. While Cal was still at Memphis, I said that they should sue the NCAA, because it was their mistake, not Memphis'. How can you blame Cal for Camby taking money from an agent? No more than you can blame Steve Fisher for Webber taking money. Is Rick a good coach? Yes he is. I think he is a better coach than Cal and Cal is a better recruiter than Rick. Unfortunately, recruiting is part of coaching, so we will see how good Rick is next year. Rick is all about the moment. He forgets what has happened in the past. For example, after the game, he said this team was the best fighters he has ever coached. He has forgotten the 92 team. That team didn't even belong in a region final and played in the best game ever. He should get a wildcat tattoo. Everybody says that they are thankful for what he did for UK. I think he benefitted a little too. But no way does he belong in the same breath as Wooden, K, Dean, or Rupp.
Ill say this if pitino wins back to back which may happen then he jumps alot of coaches
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Lets not forget the early bow outs. Peyton Siva has more to do with this championship than pitino. He lost in 97 with the best team he ever had. Has perennially struggled against cal's team especially cal has been at UK. And lost to a morehead state team that had 1 player that was equal to the talent level he had. Rick is a good coach but lets not put him as best in the world. Cal is breaking all his records at UK and has had mostly success against Rick. Hell even this years cats only lost by 3 at The Chicken Bucket. So it's arguable at best if he is even best in the state let alone country. He deserves his hall of fame and all cards fans should be proud of this title but one could name a bunch of coaches all time better than pitino.

Are you serious? Pitino averages twenty three wins a year. If he hadn't coached six years in the NBA? Do the math. Pitino owned Cal when he was at Memphis. He has been to seven final fours....(non vacated) won two national championships (at two different schools), took three different schools to final fours. Been to a final four in four different decades. Which certainly suggests he adapted to the changes to the game. (hell, last year UK's NBA guys only beat U of L by what... seven ConfusednickerSmile We could say....Pitino was confident enough to take three starters out of the UK game with a seventeen point lead. IN DECEMBER. Cal is breaking records alright...but can he coach anybody up? Could he have done what Pitino has done just in the last two years?? Can he actually coach a group of true student athletes? Cal chooses to take advantage of a ridiculous loophole. But Jerry Tarkanian got into the hall of fame...which I find disgusting. He was the king of crooked college basketball. So there is hope for Cal. But to say a coach who has won over six hundred games, been to seven final fours, won two national championships is not one of the very best??? :biglmao:
Jarons Wrote:Rupp won 4 national titles. Hall, Pitino, Smith, and Calipari won the other 4 for UK.

No, Rupp won seven national titles. '30 '46 '48 '49 '51 '54 '58
Pitino is one of the best. But I still like Cal better.
Real Badman Wrote:No, Rupp won seven national titles. '30 '46 '48 '49 '51 '54 '58

Please post the link proclaiming UK national champs in '30 and '46.According to UKatletics.com, Rupp's first season was in 1931. And does not say anything about titles in 1930 and 1946.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:Please post the link proclaiming UK national champs in '30 and '46.According to UKatletics.com, Rupp's first season was in 1931. And does not say anything about titles in 1930 and 1946.

I meant '33. You can find all your information here: http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statist...stics.html
Real Badman Wrote:I meant '33. You can find all your information here: http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statist...stics.html

From the link you posted still no mention of '33 and '46
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statist...pions.html
Just 4 titles from Rupp and one from Hall, Pitino, Smith, and Calipari
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rupp coached the University of Kentucky men's basketball team from 1930 to 1972. There, he gained the nicknames, "Baron of the Bluegrass, and "The Man in the Brown Suit". Rupp's Wildcat teams won four NCAA championships (1948, 1949, 1951, 1958), one National Invitation Tournament title in 1946, appeared in 20 NCAA tournaments, had six NCAA Final Four appearances, captured 27 Southeastern Conference regular season titles, and won 13 Southeastern Conference tournaments. Rupp's Kentucky teams also finished ranked #1 on six occasions in the final Associated Press college basketball poll and four times in the United Press International (Coaches) poll. In addition, Rupp's 1966 Kentucky squad (nicknamed "Rupp's Runts") finished runner-up in the NCAA tournament and Rupp's 1947 Wildcats finished runner-up in the National Invitation Tournament. Further, Rupp's 1933 and 1954 Kentucky squads were also awarded the Helms National Championship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolph_Rupp
Stardust Wrote:Rupp coached the University of Kentucky men's basketball team from 1930 to 1972. There, he gained the nicknames, "Baron of the Bluegrass, and "The Man in the Brown Suit". Rupp's Wildcat teams won four NCAA championships (1948, 1949, 1951, 1958), one National Invitation Tournament title in 1946, appeared in 20 NCAA tournaments, had six NCAA Final Four appearances, captured 27 Southeastern Conference regular season titles, and won 13 Southeastern Conference tournaments. Rupp's Kentucky teams also finished ranked #1 on six occasions in the final Associated Press college basketball poll and four times in the United Press International (Coaches) poll. In addition, Rupp's 1966 Kentucky squad (nicknamed "Rupp's Runts") finished runner-up in the NCAA tournament and Rupp's 1947 Wildcats finished runner-up in the National Invitation Tournament. Further, Rupp's 1933 and 1954 Kentucky squads were also awarded the Helms National Championship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolph_Rupp

Thank you.
Rupp won four in 42 years
Fromthebleachers Wrote:Are you serious? Pitino averages twenty three wins a year. If he hadn't coached six years in the NBA? Do the math. Pitino owned Cal when he was at Memphis. He has been to seven final fours....(non vacated) won two national championships (at two different schools), took three different schools to final fours. Been to a final four in four different decades. Which certainly suggests he adapted to the changes to the game. (hell, last year UK's NBA guys only beat U of L by what... seven ConfusednickerSmile We could say....Pitino was confident enough to take three starters out of the UK game with a seventeen point lead. IN DECEMBER. Cal is breaking records alright...but can he coach anybody up? Could he have done what Pitino has done just in the last two years?? Can he actually coach a group of true student athletes? Cal chooses to take advantage of a ridiculous loophole. But Jerry Tarkanian got into the hall of fame...which I find disgusting. He was the king of crooked college basketball. So there is hope for Cal. But to say a coach who has won over six hundred games, been to seven final fours, won two national championships is not one of the very best??? :biglmao:
Yes I'm serious 4 if pitinos wins against cal came while cal was at UMass. The coach at UK should beat UMass 4 times. Since cal went to Memphis I believe pitino is 4-5 against cal an has only beaten him once at UK by 3 at home when cal had his worst team and pitino the best in the country. Also did you just say cal can't coach up players? He has put guys like Darius miller,Terrence Jones,doron lamb in the NBA. He consistently teaches a new nucleas of players a new system and gets them to but in every year. The people who argue that cal just gets good players and then just rolls the ball out there obviously don't know basketball.
Also cal has put player like Dejuan Waggoner,earl Barron,Antonio burks,Shawne Williams,Rodney carney,Darius Washington jr, Chris Douglas Roberts, Robert dozier,deandre liggins,Daniel Orton,and Josh Harrellson all in the NBA. None of those guys were top pick talents like Derrick rose or Anthony Davis but cal still got enough production out of them to get them in the league. So the argument cal's players don't improve under him and he doesn't coach them up has just been busted.
Also realized pitino and cal are 9-9 against each other Pitino 4-1 at UK which would make him 5-8 since cal has been at Memphis and UK. So once again Cal has been owning pitino head to head for the last decade.
You have to love a UK fan's perspective. LOL! A little delusional at best. If U of L has to win national championships with the approach that Cal takes at Kentucky....the Cards will take a pass. There is nothing in the student part of the athlete. And Cal gets credit where he doesn't deserve. World Wide Wes has done a great job the past year. Cal could not coach a Butler, a Louisville, a VCU very well. Not enough NBA guys to get the job done.
Pitino is in my all time top 5.
Fromthebleachers Wrote:You have to love a UK fan's perspective. LOL! A little delusional at best. If U of L has to win national championships with the approach that Cal takes at Kentucky....the Cards will take a pass. There is nothing in the student part of the athlete. And Cal gets credit where he doesn't deserve. World Wide Wes has done a great job the past year. Cal could not coach a Butler, a Louisville, a VCU very well. Not enough NBA guys to get the job done.

UMass? Memphis? The talent would follow Cal anywhere.

tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Also cal has put player like Dejuan Waggoner,earl Barron,Antonio burks,Shawne Williams,Rodney carney,Darius Washington jr, Chris Douglas Roberts, Robert dozier,deandre liggins,Daniel Orton,and Josh Harrellson all in the NBA. None of those guys were top pick talents like Derrick rose or Anthony Davis but cal still got enough production out of them to get them in the league. So the argument cal's players don't improve under him and he doesn't coach them up has just been busted.

To be fair, Wagner was a top 5 player in his class, Orton and Williams were top 20, Liggins top 40.
[quote=RoShamBo]UMass? Memphis? The talent would follow Cal anywhere.
Pretty sure he was meaning Cal couldnt win with te talent level of a UL, Butler, VCU. To me brad Stevens is an excellent coach and gets the Mac out of his players. Im not sure that Cal could go there and coach the teams he has and take teams to Final 4. However Im not exactly certain Stevens could come to UK and lead teams to the final 4 with the talent they bring in.